Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Christmas Carnage? 13:11 - Dec 18 with 31413 viewsSadoldgit

Infection rates are generally rising fast despite the tier systems so you can imagine the spike after the free for all Christmas period. Johnson obviously doesn’t want to be seen as a Grinch but by not closing down Christmas there will be a lot fewer people enjoying it with their loved ones next year.
We are battening down the hatches this Christmas. I just hope that people are sensible and do the same. Sadly though I think people will just go for it and be damned.
Christmas Carnage? on 10:08 - Jan 29 with 1318 viewsSadoldgit

The mortality rate here since November is a huge issue. By that point we had a much better idea of how to handle this situation but as many people have died since November than last January to October. The Tory mouthpiece on Question Time last night could barely bring herself to admit the mistakes that had been made. If you don’t accept that you have made mistakes, how are expected to learn from them?
The row over vaccine production isn’t going to help either. We should all be working together to help ramp up vaccine production, not arguing over who gets what and when.
Christmas Carnage? on 10:14 - Jan 29 with 1309 viewsgrumpy

Christmas Carnage? on 09:57 - Jan 29 by Berber

Early on in the pandemic, it was reported that the plans would succeed if only about 80% of the population adhered to the rules. The problem that we have is not the (say) 20% idiots who never stick to the rules its them plus the other 80% who break the rules a little bit. If the rest of us break the rules only 1% each week, that is 500,000 breaches spread across the whole nation every week. Cases have been running at about 1% of the population, so that COULD equate to orders of magnitude 5,000 additional cases every week, by people who will probably not think they have got it because they "always" stick to the rules.

I don't think the any government could do any better on matters like this. Timing of decisions, yes, having ministers and secretaries of state that deserve a punch in the face, yes. After a good start, the German government now has accountability for 50,000 deaths, nearly all of which are from the second wave, funnily enough, about the same as our second wave numbers. no-one in Europe or N America are doing OK.

Germany have lost about half the number of deaths and had one and a half million less cases of the virus and they have a population of over 83 million.
Christmas Carnage? on 10:27 - Jan 29 with 1303 viewsDorsetIan

Christmas Carnage? on 09:57 - Jan 29 by Berber

Early on in the pandemic, it was reported that the plans would succeed if only about 80% of the population adhered to the rules. The problem that we have is not the (say) 20% idiots who never stick to the rules its them plus the other 80% who break the rules a little bit. If the rest of us break the rules only 1% each week, that is 500,000 breaches spread across the whole nation every week. Cases have been running at about 1% of the population, so that COULD equate to orders of magnitude 5,000 additional cases every week, by people who will probably not think they have got it because they "always" stick to the rules.

I don't think the any government could do any better on matters like this. Timing of decisions, yes, having ministers and secretaries of state that deserve a punch in the face, yes. After a good start, the German government now has accountability for 50,000 deaths, nearly all of which are from the second wave, funnily enough, about the same as our second wave numbers. no-one in Europe or N America are doing OK.

I think we can agree to disagree. When another island country like Japan can achieve 5% of the deaths that we have endured, my starting point is to assume that we could have done a lot better not to think that our government could not have done any better. And that's not to say that a British Labour govt would have done any better, it's just to be realistic about how we, as a country, have done.

The vaccine roll out seems to be going well, and not being part of the EU seems to have helped that. Happy to take those positives at this stage.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Christmas Carnage? on 14:32 - Jan 29 with 1272 viewsSadoldgit

Changing the tact somewhat, I wonder why the news channels still think it is necessary to show people getting their jabs several times a day? We get it. There is a vaccine roll out programme. I don’t need to see clips of it hundreds of times to get the message. One of my daughters has a phobia of needles and it has freaked her out and this has gone on daily since December.
Christmas Carnage? on 15:09 - Jan 29 with 1247 viewsDorsetIan

Christmas Carnage? on 14:32 - Jan 29 by Sadoldgit

Changing the tact somewhat, I wonder why the news channels still think it is necessary to show people getting their jabs several times a day? We get it. There is a vaccine roll out programme. I don’t need to see clips of it hundreds of times to get the message. One of my daughters has a phobia of needles and it has freaked her out and this has gone on daily since December.

Reminds me of that joke...

My wife keeps pestering me about all the jobs I've got to do around the house.

I told her: 'I've got it, I'm going to do them, you don't need to keep reminding me about them every six months'.

Poll: Should we try to replace Selles for the final seven games?

Christmas Carnage? on 17:43 - Jan 31 with 1169 viewsSadoldgit

Sir Tom Moore in hospital with Covid!
Christmas Carnage? on 20:05 - Jan 31 with 1130 viewsBerber

Christmas Carnage? on 10:14 - Jan 29 by grumpy

Germany have lost about half the number of deaths and had one and a half million less cases of the virus and they have a population of over 83 million.

My point was that the lower Germany number is very heavily weighted into the second phase, where the comparison is much closer than "half the number" you say. Incidentally, they have very low incidence of the UK variant at present. Mistakes may have been made early on and that should not be forgotten (nor will it be). If you reduce the 2nd wave numbers for the UK to account for the more virulent variant, case numbers and deaths don't look quite so stark in comparison to Germany.

What is more important right now, is how our government is performing right now. The same as the pressing issue for the vast majority of people in the EU countries is how their governments are performing on lockdown measures and vaccination progress right now.

If current actions indicate that the lessons from the past have been taken on board and performance has improved, I don't need to hear any excuses (or blame) until the danger is managed down. My frustration and anger at the government's earlier actions will not save one life.
Christmas Carnage? on 20:07 - Jan 31 with 1128 viewsBerber

Christmas Carnage? on 10:27 - Jan 29 by DorsetIan

I think we can agree to disagree. When another island country like Japan can achieve 5% of the deaths that we have endured, my starting point is to assume that we could have done a lot better not to think that our government could not have done any better. And that's not to say that a British Labour govt would have done any better, it's just to be realistic about how we, as a country, have done.

The vaccine roll out seems to be going well, and not being part of the EU seems to have helped that. Happy to take those positives at this stage.

Understood.
Login to get fewer ads

Christmas Carnage? on 08:27 - Feb 11 with 1021 viewsSadoldgit

Just when the Government show a level of competency over the vaccine roll out they remind us of their ability to shoot themselves in the foot again. We have the PM and the transport secretary telling us it is too soon to book up summer holidays, even reminding us that it is “illegal” while dear old hapless Peter Pandemic Matt Hancock is happy to tell us that he has booked up his holibobs in Cornwall in the summer. Business as usual.
Christmas Carnage? on 09:06 - Feb 11 with 995 viewsButty101

Christmas Carnage? on 08:27 - Feb 11 by Sadoldgit

Just when the Government show a level of competency over the vaccine roll out they remind us of their ability to shoot themselves in the foot again. We have the PM and the transport secretary telling us it is too soon to book up summer holidays, even reminding us that it is “illegal” while dear old hapless Peter Pandemic Matt Hancock is happy to tell us that he has booked up his holibobs in Cornwall in the summer. Business as usual.

Seriously this is the first thing you think when you wake up?

Its odd how little slack you cut the government dealing with a world wide pandemic. Yet saints cant organize a pee up in a brewery at the moment and you turn into a happy clapper. very odd

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Christmas Carnage? on 14:40 - Feb 11 with 936 viewsSadoldgit

Christmas Carnage? on 09:06 - Feb 11 by Butty101

Its odd how little slack you cut the government dealing with a world wide pandemic. Yet saints cant organize a pee up in a brewery at the moment and you turn into a happy clapper. very odd

No it is not the first thing I think of when I wake up. But the pandemic and the handling of it are quite important, yes? Major news agencies also seemed to think that the mixed messages (yet again) were worth commenting on even if you don’t.
As for the Saints, we have had a decent run of results for some time up until recently so excuse me if I’m not going to start slagging everyone at the club off for a couple of poor performances.
Christmas Carnage? on 15:03 - Feb 11 with 929 views1885_SFC

Christmas Carnage? on 09:06 - Feb 11 by Butty101

Don't feed the sad old troll Butty...

Old School is Cool

Christmas Carnage? on 15:53 - Feb 11 with 912 viewsBerber

Christmas Carnage? on 14:40 - Feb 11 by Sadoldgit

No it is not the first thing I think of when I wake up. But the pandemic and the handling of it are quite important, yes? Major news agencies also seemed to think that the mixed messages (yet again) were worth commenting on even if you don’t.
As for the Saints, we have had a decent run of results for some time up until recently so excuse me if I’m not going to start slagging everyone at the club off for a couple of poor performances.

Yes, the pandemic is important but given that nobody is suggesting that holidays may be imminent, I'd say the media attention is what the k**t Trump would call Fake News, yes, it really does exist. Sad that the mainstream media have no shame about exploiting such dire circumstances for trivial trolling.
Christmas Carnage? on 19:56 - Feb 11 with 880 viewsSadoldgit

Christmas Carnage? on 15:53 - Feb 11 by Berber

Yes, the pandemic is important but given that nobody is suggesting that holidays may be imminent, I'd say the media attention is what the k**t Trump would call Fake News, yes, it really does exist. Sad that the mainstream media have no shame about exploiting such dire circumstances for trivial trolling.

I think the whole point was that cabinet members were giving mixed messages yet again. Surely it is not difficult to get them to sing from the same hymn sheet? It doesn’t fill you with confidence, well apart from some on here who seem to think that incompetence is ok a year into this pandemic.

Still, having been pulled up as being a happy clapping Saints fan I am just going enjoy the win and the awesomely kind next round draw.
Christmas Carnage? on 08:51 - Feb 12 with 842 viewsBerber

Christmas Carnage? on 19:56 - Feb 11 by Sadoldgit

I think the whole point was that cabinet members were giving mixed messages yet again. Surely it is not difficult to get them to sing from the same hymn sheet? It doesn’t fill you with confidence, well apart from some on here who seem to think that incompetence is ok a year into this pandemic.

Still, having been pulled up as being a happy clapping Saints fan I am just going enjoy the win and the awesomely kind next round draw.

It is not a done deal though, up until the decision, ministers should be able to, and do express differing views. It has always been so. Otherwise we have a dictatorship surely? If people want to go with what they want to believe, it is at their own risk. Grown ups can't blame the government for everything that goes wrong in their lives. (That is not a dig at you).
Christmas Carnage? on 09:46 - Feb 12 with 838 viewsBison

Christmas Carnage? on 19:56 - Feb 11 by Sadoldgit

I agree Soggy because Mâtt H booked a holiday in Cornwall I booked a holiday in Las Vegas for October. If I don't get my £100 deposit back then Mâtt should resign for misleading me. Didn't the cabinet know that the whole country relies on them to make decisions , next they will start saying we should think for ourselves , what a LoL that would be !

Trust no one in a circus.
Poll: Who do you blame for saints not winning every game ?

Christmas Carnage? on 10:30 - Feb 12 with 817 viewsSadoldgit

Christmas Carnage? on 09:46 - Feb 12 by Bison

I agree Soggy because Mâtt H booked a holiday in Cornwall I booked a holiday in Las Vegas for October. If I don't get my £100 deposit back then Mâtt should resign for misleading me. Didn't the cabinet know that the whole country relies on them to make decisions , next they will start saying we should think for ourselves , what a LoL that would be !

Gave me a bit of a chuckle Bison but the people running the country really need to get their messages straight. All the way through people have been saying that the “rules” are confusing. This is why. Lack of consistency.
Still, we have something bigger to worry about now. Peter Pandemic thinks it is a good idea to reorganise the NHS just the the point where they can barely cope with what they have on their plate as it is. Great timing Matt. It’s not as if they haven’t got anything better to do right now.
Christmas Carnage? on 12:09 - Feb 12 with 802 viewsBerber

Christmas Carnage? on 10:30 - Feb 12 by Sadoldgit

Gave me a bit of a chuckle Bison but the people running the country really need to get their messages straight. All the way through people have been saying that the “rules” are confusing. This is why. Lack of consistency.
Still, we have something bigger to worry about now. Peter Pandemic thinks it is a good idea to reorganise the NHS just the the point where they can barely cope with what they have on their plate as it is. Great timing Matt. It’s not as if they haven’t got anything better to do right now.

Though it is actually an endorsement of support to the NHS.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024