Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Pride In The Club 10:08 - Jun 1 with 4114 viewsSaintNick

With the season ticket renewal date ending yesterday, why do so many fans of our club seem to boast about not renewing season tickets on social media ?

That should not be something to be proud of ?

It baffles me this is a genuine question, please dont say its because im not being entertained, Brighton were the least entertaining club at home, yet they still have a full house every week.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Pride In The Club on 08:24 - Jun 4 with 1078 viewsA1079

I have been going to watch Saints home and away for 45 years now and in that time I never owned a season ticket. Financial outlay etc has been the main reason but more recent years it is the fact I live 240 miles away. I go as often as I can despite the miles and sometimes it has been difficult to get a ticket by not being a season ticket holder but accepted that season tickets rightfully get a preference. This last season I attended 20 matches a mixture of home and away, league and cup.

I will watch Saints as much as I can irrespective of which league they are in, in fact, if I am honest, I enjoyed watching Saints more when we were languishing in League 1 and the Championship. I am a proud Southampton fan and a proud person of my roots in Hampshire despite job etc taking me away.

All the above aside, Frannies Tache represents how I feel. I don't like the PL, the constant changing of times and days of matches is frustrating - the worst example was the Aston Villa at home game where I have arranged for other things around it as a weekend away only for it to be changed fairly late. There have been others. The sense of just being in the league to survive with little intent to really challenge or for that matter the ability to because the money is so focused on a few elite clubs. The officials decisions all too often in 50/50 situations tend to favour the bigger of the 2 clubs playing and the recent experience of watching Saints at home to Liverpool was horrible, less so because of the result but the fact that in the Itchen/Chapel corner I was surrounded by Liverpool tourist fans and I wondered how on earth they got a ticket or so many of them - did the club care about the home fans?

I feel I have a right to be frustrated with the team and the club at times as does other genuine Saints fans. Whatever way you dress it up when they perform and have the attitude as they did in the last quarter of the last 2 seasons you really do question whether your personal effort and cost is justifiable.

But, you have to look at the economics Nick. People will question their expenditure more especially now and I suspect in the coming season. People cannot sustain the high inflation and interest rates without the impact on their pocket. The season ticket cost is reasonable actually but balance it against other outlays then people will think twice especially if watching Saints is not enjoyable as the last 12 or so games of this season just ended - so the manager and the players have a duty to make us enjoy going and wanting to be there.

I don't personally know anyone crowing about not buying a season ticket because of frustration for the club or as some sort of protest but I am conscious of a few weighing it up against other commitments.

I think Saints fans are in general a good bunch - honest supporters with integrity. I would say there is a solid 22-25k fans who will follow them through good and bad and years of indifference. I agree the vocal support has become poor and I am not sure why but McMenemy and Strachan both said that as fans we are not the noisiest but give us a reason to sing and we will - though our range of songs is pretty lame. I am not sure Nick why you have such a downer with your own fellow fans - there is a propensity in your reports to have a little dig quite often - reports which I value and the time you spend on putting them together.

We all want to see a clear improvement in the club's attitude to a range of things - not just on the pitch - but ultimately it is the manager and the team and their attitude which will light the blue touch paper. It is not the winning it is the performance and a sense of togetherness and working hard when they cross the white line which will feed through to the crowd.
Pride In The Club on 12:25 - Jun 4 with 968 viewsPoirot

Ticketing at Southampton use to be a plus point, but now its become some managaments Linkedin cv builder. Trrying to shaft fans with premium soft seats and stupid booking fee charges.
Pride In The Club on 12:33 - Jun 4 with 964 viewsdirk_doone

Pride In The Club on 12:25 - Jun 4 by Poirot

Ticketing at Southampton use to be a plus point, but now its become some managaments Linkedin cv builder. Trrying to shaft fans with premium soft seats and stupid booking fee charges.

You could draw comparisons with the England cricket team: Poor performances combined with high ticket prices are starting to result in thousands of empty seats at Lord's, when before matches used to sell out fast.

Pride in the England cricket team has also taken a bit of a battering in the last few years.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2022 12:34]

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Pride In The Club on 12:45 - Jun 4 with 949 viewsMytchettSaint

Pride In The Club on 12:33 - Jun 4 by dirk_doone

You could draw comparisons with the England cricket team: Poor performances combined with high ticket prices are starting to result in thousands of empty seats at Lord's, when before matches used to sell out fast.

Pride in the England cricket team has also taken a bit of a battering in the last few years.
[Post edited 4 Jun 2022 12:34]

I looked at getting a ticket for the Thursday a while ago but saw the price and thought fook that. Haven’t been to Lords/an England test there for a few years and was astounded at the cost.

I knocked watching England rugby on the head a few years ago when they started really cranking up the prices at twickenham as well.

Something has happened the last few years with these institutions where they’ve got people in who have pushed raising the ticket costs up exponentially.

Going to the Surrey v Middlesex T20 blast instead in a few weeks for my cricket fix.

Block 13; Curva Itchen Sud

Pride In The Club on 00:48 - Jun 5 with 829 viewsGennaro_Contaldo

I spent years in the 90s and 2000s following this club up and down the country. I was 1 of about 200 people at Middlesbrough one year and have followed this club for years up and down the country.

My love of Saints hasn't lessened that much, but my love of football and the top flight in particular has plummeted to a new low. I haven't had a season ticket for a few years, but last year I never went to a single game. I don't miss it. Family life is too important but football in general has taken a turn for the worse in my view.

My parents said tonight "did you watch the match?" - honestly I didn't know there was a match. I preferred to spend my time walking the dog and pottering in the garden.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2022 23:14]

The UI; For the sophisticated gentleman
Poll: Where will Saints finish in the 2018/19 season

Pride In The Club on 07:41 - Jun 6 with 683 viewsTripleNiemi

Pride In The Club on 00:48 - Jun 5 by Gennaro_Contaldo

I spent years in the 90s and 2000s following this club up and down the country. I was 1 of about 200 people at Middlesbrough one year and have followed this club for years up and down the country.

My love of Saints hasn't lessened that much, but my love of football and the top flight in particular has plummeted to a new low. I haven't had a season ticket for a few years, but last year I never went to a single game. I don't miss it. Family life is too important but football in general has taken a turn for the worse in my view.

My parents said tonight "did you watch the match?" - honestly I didn't know there was a match. I preferred to spend my time walking the dog and pottering in the garden.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2022 23:14]

Pretty much sums things up for me.

Being at games like the 7-2 thrashing by Spurs, the Hassan Fez Wimbledon game, Derby County away for crunch relegation battles used to be fun (in some weird masochistic way) but even though i have maintained a Season Ticket upto now, i too would almost prefer to forget football and take the hound for a 8 or 9 mile walk. Even though i still do a good few away days (very selective now on missing the cartel clubs) it is getting harder as the PL is a cancer to the game.

The only hope is a new league where the top brass all clear off and take their armchair contingent with them.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2022 7:43]

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

Pride In The Club on 13:09 - Jun 6 with 594 viewssaint901

I agree that the PL has damaged the game I fell in love with at age 6.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024