Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Martin's switch to 4-5-1 & why it's not ideal... 15:54 - Sep 6 with 1884 viewsKerouac

On Saturday Martin surprised us all by giving his ludicrous 'system' a rest and experimenting with 4-5-1.
This was a welcome change because his ludicrous system was not working and 4 at the back was the obvious solution to the leaky defence.

However, we do not have the players for 4-5-1, we don't have any genuine wingers!.
Martin needs to tweak things further.

For a while now I have been advocating for 4-3-3.
With a full squad I was imagining something along the lines of;

------------------------- Benda -----------------------------
------------- Cabango --------- Darling ------------------
Naughton -------------------------------------- Manning
---------------------------Allen -----------------------------
----------- Ntcham ------------------- Grimes -----------
----------------------------------------------------------------
------ Obafemi -- -------------------- Whittaker/Joseph
--------------------------- Piroe ------------------------------

...but circumstances change, personnel change and we need to put the best team out we have available.
This is the strongest team we have available (on paper - Olly Cooper keeps his place in my book for the moment, he has earned his spot) now, I reckon;

---------------- Wood --------- Cabango -----------------
------------------------- Darling ----------------------------
----------- Allen --------------------- Grimes -------------
----------------- Patterson / Ntcham --------------------
----------- Obafemi -------------------- Piroe ------------

The full-backs need to get forward to provide us some width when we are building an attack.
Darling is comfortable on the ball and adds some muscle in midfield. He also has shown that he is a goal threat and adds extra aerial ability at set pieces (we'd then have 4 players on the field capable of competing in the air (Cabango, Wood, Darling & Piroe)...but most importantly it means that when our full-backs attack, Darling can drop into the defensive line when it goes wrong.

Patterson and Ntcham are both capable of threading a through ball or cracking one in. Both are less good at the defensive side of the game. Neither are wide players (haven't got the pace). I'd have them competing for the no. 10 slot, occasionally Ntcham could play in midfield...e.g. - if we want to rest Allen, we bring Congreve or Cooper on and switch Ntcham to CM.

If we need to sub a centre-back Darling could switch back there and Fulton replace him at DM....OR....Naughton to CB and Finn Stevens to RB.

The attacking sub I'd be looking to play most often is Oko-flex and change the shape slightly;

---------------- Wood --------- Cabango -----------------
------------------------- Darling ----------------------------
----------- Allen --------------------- Grimes -------------
----- Obafemi -------- Piroe ------------ Oko-Flex -----

This would mean that we had pace up against a tired defence at the end of games.
The idea would be that Piroe would lead the line but when the tie was right drop into the hole, if we could find him he is capable of turning it around the corner or turning and threading a pass for the pace down the channels.
If we are building an attack with the full-backs up Obafemi or Oko-flex could drift wide to create a pacy overload and we would then have 2 strikers in the box to aim for.
I'd also consider bringing Ogbeta on at left-back and Stevens on at right-back and get at them down the flanks. Both Manning and Naughton are capable of switching to either CB (although we lose in the air then, so not ideal) or at DM.

The subs at our disposal seamlessly slot into the different roles;

Fisher for Benda
Stevens for Naughton
Latibeaudiere for Wood
Ogbeta for Manning (we need to use Ogbeta)
Fulton for Darling for Cabango
Cundle for Allen or Grimes
Olly Cooper for Patterson or Ntcham
Ntcham for Allen or Grimes
Congreve for Patterson or Ntcham
Oko-Flex for Patterson/Ntcham or Obafemi or Piroe
Cullen for Piroe or Obafemi

Anyone else fancy helping Martin out? Feel free to add your suggestions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Martin's switch to 4-5-1 & why it's not ideal... on 09:18 - Sep 7 with 1678 viewsonehunglow

So detailed it seems to have gobsmacked all.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Martin's switch to 4-5-1 & why it's not ideal... on 09:50 - Sep 7 with 1665 viewsjack247

I like it.

Two slight observations.

Naughton is fine in a back three, either in the middle or right of the three or as right back in a 451, in fact he’s one of the first names in my team. If we’re looking for someone to bomb forward and provide width, he’s probably not the man.

Tired defences at the end of games is less of a factor now teams can use five subs. It makes the notion of making teams chase the ball all game to tire them out even more redundant.

Other than that, not much I can disagree with.

The three new youngsters all had decent cameos on Saturday. Interested to see if Oko-Flex gives us another dimension out wide.
Martin's switch to 4-5-1 & why it's not ideal... on 13:25 - Sep 7 with 1602 viewsCatullus

Martin's switch to 4-5-1 & why it's not ideal... on 09:50 - Sep 7 by jack247

I like it.

Two slight observations.

Naughton is fine in a back three, either in the middle or right of the three or as right back in a 451, in fact he’s one of the first names in my team. If we’re looking for someone to bomb forward and provide width, he’s probably not the man.

Tired defences at the end of games is less of a factor now teams can use five subs. It makes the notion of making teams chase the ball all game to tire them out even more redundant.

Other than that, not much I can disagree with.

The three new youngsters all had decent cameos on Saturday. Interested to see if Oko-Flex gives us another dimension out wide.

It needs to be 4 at the back and I'd like to see 2 up front but that won't happen. In a 4-3-3 it could be Cooper one side and Oko-Flex the other. Piroe in the middle with a midfield of Allen, Grimes and, yes, maybe Darling in the middle. But we'd need full backs who have the legs to get up and back and that's not Naughton. Manning does it and why not try out the new loan player?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Martin's switch to 4-5-1 & why it's not ideal... on 14:17 - Sep 8 with 1442 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

I can't see Darling working out in midfield

For a big lad he gets brushed off the ball far too easily imo (unless he's always looking for soft free kicks)

I'd stick Allen at the base and play Cundle slightly further forward - looked like a player for his cameo on the weekend

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024