Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? 00:15 - Jan 18 with 6538 viewsDr_Parnassus

Discuss.

For me, it’s a yes.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 00:53 - Jan 18 with 4012 viewsPlankton

Nope.
Bobby Charlton
Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 01:54 - Jan 18 with 3993 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

It’s only tennis so no.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 04:04 - Jan 18 with 3986 viewsKilkennyjack

Andy is a Scot.

The greatest Scottish sportsman is Olympic 100 metre gold medallist Alan Wells.
Or Fergie.

Murray is top 3.

Beware of the Risen People

Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 04:05 - Jan 18 with 3985 viewsKilkennyjack

Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 00:53 - Jan 18 by Plankton

Nope.
Bobby Charlton

🤣

Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 06:13 - Jan 18 with 3967 viewsDr_Parnassus

World Number 1 for 40+ weeks, 11 Grand Slam finals and 3 Grand Slam wins… in an era of Federer, Djokovic and Nadal is breathtaking.

Now beat a top 15 player in his prime (also a Grand Slam finalist) whilst having a metal hip.

Remarkable.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2023 6:40]

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 07:40 - Jan 18 with 3936 viewsScotia

Steve Redgrave for me.
Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 07:45 - Jan 18 with 3933 viewsalltjack

Daley Thompson for me
Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 07:53 - Jan 18 with 3924 viewsCountyJim

Phil Taylor
Login to get fewer ads

Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 08:17 - Jan 18 with 3916 viewsKilkennyjack

John Charles (cymru)
Tyson fury (england)
George Best (the north of ireland)

Minority sports need to seen in the context that most everybody in the world loves football, and athletics/boxing are global.

Darts etc …? Well not so much …..🤷‍♂️

Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 09:00 - Jan 18 with 3905 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

There's a case for Seb Coe. Golds at two Olympic games and at one stage held world records at four distances. His 1000 metre record was held for 22 years.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 10:23 - Jan 18 with 3871 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 04:04 - Jan 18 by Kilkennyjack

Andy is a Scot.

The greatest Scottish sportsman is Olympic 100 metre gold medallist Alan Wells.
Or Fergie.

Murray is top 3.

And Murray is a British sportsman no doubt he has a British passport.

Not like you to go off topic again is it.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 10:24 - Jan 18 with 3868 viewsfelixstowe_jack

You could also include our cyclist who won multiple gold medal and the tour of France.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 11:06 - Jan 18 with 3850 viewsbritferry

he ain't even our greatest tennis player, that would be Fred Perry

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 11:10 - Jan 18 with 3848 viewsbritferry

Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 10:24 - Jan 18 by felixstowe_jack

You could also include our cyclist who won multiple gold medal and the tour of France.

the "asthma" sufferer you mean?

Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 11:13 - Jan 18 with 3846 viewsCountyJim

Another shout would be Denis Compton played cricket and football at the highest level there's not many can boast that

Just read up about him he was also a scratch golfer and played for his county in squash

I doubt many could trump that
[Post edited 18 Jan 2023 11:30]
Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 11:30 - Jan 18 with 3830 viewsTogg

Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 11:06 - Jan 18 by britferry

he ain't even our greatest tennis player, that would be Fred Perry

Murray has played in an era far superior to what Fred Perry played in . He was up against arguably the three best players ever. The game has changed so much in stroke playing, speed and endurance over the years. Yes racquets have improved but the top spin players get now is a different league.
When he was number one and if wasn't for his hip replacement, there was definitely a few more Slams in him. Tremendous result and achievement in the Aussie Open but I don't think he will ever have another Slam. Just great to see him competing at this level.
Surprised nobody mentioned Joe Calzhage beat them all and was superb boxer.
[Post edited 18 Jan 2023 11:31]
Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 12:12 - Jan 18 with 3800 viewsSirjohnalot

Calzaghe, Botham, Paula Radcliffe, Murray, Seb Coe, Jimmy Anderson, Mo Farah, and many more choices.
Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 13:24 - Jan 18 with 3777 viewsonehunglow

Or John Surtees.
Multiple IOM trophies,GP then F1 Champion.
Not been done before or since

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 16:24 - Jan 18 with 3729 viewsbritferry

Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 11:30 - Jan 18 by Togg

Murray has played in an era far superior to what Fred Perry played in . He was up against arguably the three best players ever. The game has changed so much in stroke playing, speed and endurance over the years. Yes racquets have improved but the top spin players get now is a different league.
When he was number one and if wasn't for his hip replacement, there was definitely a few more Slams in him. Tremendous result and achievement in the Aussie Open but I don't think he will ever have another Slam. Just great to see him competing at this level.

A few more slams?

Frederick John Perry (18 May 1909 — 2 February 1995) was a British tennis and table tennis player and former world No. 1 from England who won 10 Majors including eight Grand Slam tournaments and two Pro Slams single titles, as well as six Major doubles titles. Perry won three consecutive Wimbledon Championships from 1934 to 1936 and was World Amateur number one tennis player during those three years. Prior to Andy Murray in 2013, Perry was the last British player to win the men's Wimbledon championship, in 1936,[4] and the last British player to win a men's singles Grand Slam title, until Andy Murray won the 2012 US Open. Perry remains the last English player to win a men's singles Grand Slam title.

Perry was the first player to win a "Career Grand Slam", winning all four singles titles, which he completed at the age of 26 at the 1935 French Championships. He remains the only British player ever to achieve this. Perry's first love was table tennis and he was World Champion in 1929. He began playing tennis aged 14 and his tennis career at 21, when in 1930 an LTA committee chose him to join a four-man team to tour the United States.

In 1933, Perry helped lead the Great Britain team to victory over France in the Davis Cup; the team's first success since 1912, followed by wins over the United States in 1934, 1935, and a fourth consecutive title with victory over Australia in 1936. But due to his disillusionment with the class-conscious nature of the Lawn Tennis Club of Great Britain, the working-class Perry turned professional at the end of the 1936 season and moved to the United States where he became a naturalised US citizen in 1939. In 1942, he was drafted into the US Army Air Force during the Second World War.

Despite his unprecedented contribution to British tennis, Perry was not accorded full recognition by tennis authorities until later in life, because between 1927 and 1967 the International Lawn Tennis Federation ignored amateur champions who later turned professional.

Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 16:47 - Jan 18 with 3713 viewsSirjohnalot

Alun Wyn Jones, Martin Johnson,
Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 17:05 - Jan 18 with 3703 viewsSullutaCreturned

Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 11:30 - Jan 18 by Togg

I don't get this arguing that an achievement is somehow lesser because it was in the past. At any point in history, whatever you are doing/playing/competing at or in, you can only play what is in front of you and Perry won it all. I cannot dispute that times have very much changed but how do we know that Perry wouldn't be good enough today if he was given the same opportunities as Murray?

Myself I think that Compton is a great shout as is Calzaghe AND I'd put Gareth Bale up there too. Bales record in football is fantastic, how many British players can natch it?

Then there's Redgrave, Hoy, Farah, Coe, Gareth Edwards and there's more too who could have an argument.
Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 17:10 - Jan 18 with 3701 viewsTogg

Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 16:24 - Jan 18 by britferry

A few more slams?

Frederick John Perry (18 May 1909 — 2 February 1995) was a British tennis and table tennis player and former world No. 1 from England who won 10 Majors including eight Grand Slam tournaments and two Pro Slams single titles, as well as six Major doubles titles. Perry won three consecutive Wimbledon Championships from 1934 to 1936 and was World Amateur number one tennis player during those three years. Prior to Andy Murray in 2013, Perry was the last British player to win the men's Wimbledon championship, in 1936,[4] and the last British player to win a men's singles Grand Slam title, until Andy Murray won the 2012 US Open. Perry remains the last English player to win a men's singles Grand Slam title.

Perry was the first player to win a "Career Grand Slam", winning all four singles titles, which he completed at the age of 26 at the 1935 French Championships. He remains the only British player ever to achieve this. Perry's first love was table tennis and he was World Champion in 1929. He began playing tennis aged 14 and his tennis career at 21, when in 1930 an LTA committee chose him to join a four-man team to tour the United States.

In 1933, Perry helped lead the Great Britain team to victory over France in the Davis Cup; the team's first success since 1912, followed by wins over the United States in 1934, 1935, and a fourth consecutive title with victory over Australia in 1936. But due to his disillusionment with the class-conscious nature of the Lawn Tennis Club of Great Britain, the working-class Perry turned professional at the end of the 1936 season and moved to the United States where he became a naturalised US citizen in 1939. In 1942, he was drafted into the US Army Air Force during the Second World War.

Despite his unprecedented contribution to British tennis, Perry was not accorded full recognition by tennis authorities until later in life, because between 1927 and 1967 the International Lawn Tennis Federation ignored amateur champions who later turned professional.

Good post. I think he won 8 slams which is hell of an achievement but in my opinion wouldn't have lived with Murray in what was a predominantly amateur age . The game then split and a professional circuit took place with Swansea's own Mike Davies at the forefront of this revolution. I believe Mike also was one of the individuals responsible for the introduction of the yellow ball in Tennis.
The game has changed so much . They were different times and there would have been none of the three greatest to compete against . Murray's record would have been far superior if he'd been in a different era.( Let's not forget Murray's Olympic success also). I know that's conjecture. Some sports I believe you can compare different people from different eras, like Boxing for example but Tennis? That's my opinion of course.
Anyway good shout!
Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 17:14 - Jan 18 with 3696 viewsonehunglow

Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 16:24 - Jan 18 by britferry

A few more slams?

And plenty of highly skilled opponents around then who had to use the racquet to create shots .
Today,it’s about power .
Murray is a contemporary sportsman and people forget their history

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 17:17 - Jan 18 with 3693 viewsTogg

Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 17:10 - Jan 18 by Togg

Good post. I think he won 8 slams which is hell of an achievement but in my opinion wouldn't have lived with Murray in what was a predominantly amateur age . The game then split and a professional circuit took place with Swansea's own Mike Davies at the forefront of this revolution. I believe Mike also was one of the individuals responsible for the introduction of the yellow ball in Tennis.
The game has changed so much . They were different times and there would have been none of the three greatest to compete against . Murray's record would have been far superior if he'd been in a different era.( Let's not forget Murray's Olympic success also). I know that's conjecture. Some sports I believe you can compare different people from different eras, like Boxing for example but Tennis? That's my opinion of course.
Anyway good shout!

The Swansea Tennis legend Mike Davies
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-28042975.amp
Andy Murray, greatest British sportsman of all time? on 17:25 - Jan 18 with 3675 viewsCleddau

CB Fry has a pretty good cv — England cricketer, England footballer, FA Cup finalist, World-Record holder in athletics (long jump), played rugby for the Barbarians.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024