Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Something big in the offing… 21:19 - Feb 2 with 4030 viewsDr_Parnassus

Or is he being a Drama Queen?

Thoughts?

[Post edited 2 Feb 2023 21:22]

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Something big in the offing… on 21:34 - Feb 2 with 3221 viewsswan65split

Something big in the offing… on 21:49 - Feb 2 with 3145 viewsDr_Parnassus

Something big in the offing… on 21:34 - Feb 2 by swan65split

Excellent interview. Jake Silverstein’s passion clearly coming through there.

Echoes all the points I’ve been making since the window drama:

- Confirmed they have put £16m into the club of their own money, and continually doing so.

- Confirmed they don’t take any money out of the club and never have.

- Confirmed that all the targets they went after were RM’s top picks and offered more than they eventually went for in many cases

- Wants to put “nonsense” to bed regarding asset stripping.

- Confirmed money for players goes back into the running costs of the club.

I really don’t see how people can criticise this ownership group and Jakes involvement seems to be a good thing.

Something big in the offing… on 21:53 - Feb 2 with 3115 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Something big in the offing… on 21:49 - Feb 2 by Dr_Parnassus

- Confirmed they have put £16m into the club of their own money, and continually doing so.

- Confirmed that all the targets they went after were RM’s top picks and offered more than they eventually went for in many cases

I really don’t see how people can criticise this ownership group and Jakes involvement seems to be a good thing.

Listening to it now, there's a lot I'm yet to be convinced about despite what they are saying

I don't think we are the worst run club like some do

I'm even more frustrated that they continously say there was money to use and they were happy to do it and pay over the odds for players - yet we still weren't able to bring anyone in??
Something seriously wrong with that area of recruitment - surely any initial background checks should have gievn them an idea that maybe a young kid didn't want to move to Swansea away from the family?
[Post edited 2 Feb 2023 21:56]

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Something big in the offing… on 22:06 - Feb 2 with 3043 viewsReslovenSwan1

Something big in the offing… on 21:53 - Feb 2 by PatchesOHoulihan

Listening to it now, there's a lot I'm yet to be convinced about despite what they are saying

I'm even more frustrated that they continously say there was money to use and they were happy to do it and pay over the odds for players - yet we still weren't able to bring anyone in??
Something seriously wrong with that area of recruitment - surely any initial background checks should have gievn them an idea that maybe a young kid didn't want to move to Swansea away from the family?

They are discovering the geography of Swansea is a hurdle to be overcome. Leon Britton came back in the day because he had no idea where Swansea was i recall reading somewhere.

Silverstein is clearly miffed after putting in several millions. Remember folks there is not one Welshman willing to do this. I do not blame him to be honest.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Something big in the offing… on 22:22 - Feb 2 with 2972 viewsDr_Parnassus

Something big in the offing… on 21:53 - Feb 2 by PatchesOHoulihan

It’s always been the case for Swansea.

We are in one of the worst areas in the football league probably, due to its proximity to everything.

People often think of football like it’s football manager and if you bid for a player and it’s accepted then that’s it, he has to come.

The realities are far different to that. As Jason highlighted there, a player didn’t want to move too far away from his family, so they offered him extra financial incentive and it didn’t solve the issue at heart.

I think they deserve tremendous credit for coming out and being so transparent.

Something big in the offing… on 22:44 - Feb 2 with 2892 viewsEagleEye

Something big in the offing… on 21:49 - Feb 2 by Dr_Parnassus

If there is criticism it should be focussed on the inability to close out deals. There is open admission that they have learnt lessons on this front in this window. This ownership team has had how many windows to get this fine tuned ? Must try harder & be smarter would be my assessment.

They have failed with 8 out of 8 offers made

They were willing to make Karlan Grant the highest paid player in the club … a player who rarely gets a start for WBA ffs. I find it hard to believe that he was a main target through the window. It was a last minute deal after all of the other failures that WBA pulled as we know

Players accepting offers for less money to go to other clubs closer to their home, friends, family etc should not be anything new. Swansea has not moved it is where it has always been. Surely these issues should be identified pretty quickly when discussing with players & agents ? Players & agents holding out for offers closer to their home should easily be identified at an early stage. If they don’t want to commit early in discussions then focus should be moved on rapidly.

Other than that there were some useful snippets in there about how they operate. Winter needs to stand up with some answers and take accountability for the 100% failure rate as he is the main man on the ground in the country
Something big in the offing… on 23:00 - Feb 2 with 2841 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

Something big in the offing… on 22:22 - Feb 2 by Dr_Parnassus

It’s always been the case for Swansea.

We are in one of the worst areas in the football league probably, due to its proximity to everything.

People often think of football like it’s football manager and if you bid for a player and it’s accepted then that’s it, he has to come.

The realities are far different to that. As Jason highlighted there, a player didn’t want to move too far away from his family, so they offered him extra financial incentive and it didn’t solve the issue at heart.

I think they deserve tremendous credit for coming out and being so transparent.

Totally agree about he geography but that is part of good scouting and recruitment - we know it’s an issue and someone at the club should have told them if they were not aware

Luckily we know once people actually get here they usually quite like it but it’s an obstacle to overcome for many

Still seemed a lot of guff in that interview for me and carefully chosen words at times (although many know more than me)

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

Something big in the offing… on 23:03 - Feb 2 with 2831 viewsherbie

We know Ogbene was a target and wanted to come. No mention of him at all and he is still at Rotherham.
I found that interview embarrassing with a sychophantic interviewer from the Trust who asked no obvious follow up questions.
Login to get fewer ads

Something big in the offing… on 23:05 - Feb 2 with 2819 viewsDr_Parnassus

Something big in the offing… on 23:03 - Feb 2 by herbie

We know Ogbene was a target and wanted to come. No mention of him at all and he is still at Rotherham.
I found that interview embarrassing with a sychophantic interviewer from the Trust who asked no obvious follow up questions.

We don’t know he wanted to come.

That was the right sided “hybrid” they were talking about.

Something big in the offing… on 23:12 - Feb 2 with 2802 viewsherbie

Something big in the offing… on 23:05 - Feb 2 by Dr_Parnassus

We don’t know he wanted to come.

That was the right sided “hybrid” they were talking about.

We do. He made it plain he wanted to do so
Something big in the offing… on 23:15 - Feb 2 with 2788 viewsDr_Parnassus

Something big in the offing… on 23:12 - Feb 2 by herbie

We do. He made it plain he wanted to do so

Where?

Last I heard he was chatting with Obafemi who was telling him to avoid at all costs.

Something big in the offing… on 23:27 - Feb 2 with 2737 viewsKeithHaynes

Something big in the offing… on 23:15 - Feb 2 by Dr_Parnassus

Where?

Last I heard he was chatting with Obafemi who was telling him to avoid at all costs.

He made it known around five months ago when he referenced Swansea as a big club.

Obafemi most certainly spoke with Ogbene and it’s fair to say due to Obafemi’s dislike of the training and clubs coaching ( and lack of understanding regards it ) may well have affected Ogbene to some extent.

The right back referred to, girlfriend, living near home etc is most certainly the defender we were genuinely linked with at Exeter City. He’s obviously not ambitious enough to move away just yet from his mums cooking.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Something big in the offing… on 23:44 - Feb 2 with 2692 viewsDr_Parnassus

Something big in the offing… on 23:27 - Feb 2 by KeithHaynes

He made it known around five months ago when he referenced Swansea as a big club.

Obafemi most certainly spoke with Ogbene and it’s fair to say due to Obafemi’s dislike of the training and clubs coaching ( and lack of understanding regards it ) may well have affected Ogbene to some extent.

The right back referred to, girlfriend, living near home etc is most certainly the defender we were genuinely linked with at Exeter City. He’s obviously not ambitious enough to move away just yet from his mums cooking.

Swansea are most certainly bigger than Rotherham that’s for sure.

It may well be the case last year, I hadn’t heard anything about him much. But this window was certainly a different story. I think there was more chance of him going to Boro apparently.

Something big in the offing… on 00:58 - Feb 3 with 2609 viewsReslovenSwan1

Something big in the offing… on 23:27 - Feb 2 by KeithHaynes

I do not know the educational level of Ogbene but one s discussion with Obafemi would not convince me of anything.

I recall Obafemi making a face and rolled eyes on the steps to the training field at Fairwood suggesting a "get me out of here" on on of the musical training clips . Discipline and professionalism were an issue for him and other players can pick up on this very quickly in chats.

I saw other unwelcome body language from Swansea players when Bradley first arrived. The manger walked in and three players were lolloing about on a sofa and Rangel stood to attention and game Bradley a firm handshake and a good welcome.

Finn Burns looked as if he wanted to be anywhere else when picking up his Swansea shirt off Alan Curtis. No surprise he could not force his way into the first team.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Something big in the offing… on 01:46 - Feb 3 with 2580 viewsDr_Parnassus

Something big in the offing… on 00:58 - Feb 3 by ReslovenSwan1

I do not know the educational level of Ogbene but one s discussion with Obafemi would not convince me of anything.

I recall Obafemi making a face and rolled eyes on the steps to the training field at Fairwood suggesting a "get me out of here" on on of the musical training clips . Discipline and professionalism were an issue for him and other players can pick up on this very quickly in chats.

I saw other unwelcome body language from Swansea players when Bradley first arrived. The manger walked in and three players were lolloing about on a sofa and Rangel stood to attention and game Bradley a firm handshake and a good welcome.

Finn Burns looked as if he wanted to be anywhere else when picking up his Swansea shirt off Alan Curtis. No surprise he could not force his way into the first team.

Ben Foster did an excellent interview this week where he described what it was like when a manager came in and insisted on a certain style of play that players did not agree with.

Some notable points:

- he reckons only a small minority of players care about the fans, maybe 25%.
- interviews are a load of nonsense and people pretend to back things because it’s the done thing

23:30 onwards is the most interesting part for me. Talks about man management and how players will “down tools” if they don’t feel respected by the manager.

Talked about Pepe Mel coming in as manager and trying to get them playing a way they didn’t feel suited to.

Very interesting.

Something big in the offing… on 05:34 - Feb 3 with 2514 viewsQJumpingJack

The interview is cringeworthy. It is very difficult to watch at times.

Reading between the lines - I would expect some major departures in the coming weeks...
Something big in the offing… on 07:52 - Feb 3 with 2371 viewsmagicdaps10

That was a hard watch and boy how cringewortjy was it all, could it smack anymore of falseness!?

Leveins response to the club up for sale spoke volumes in regards to the position and honesty of the club......never answered it and facial expressions said a lot.

So all those months planning and checking fell down to the fact that they never done the groundwork on the players and Wether they wanted to come down to South Wales, put it right on the lap of the recruitment team but then threw in that they were prepared to pay over the odds as such for the players.........its truely unbelievable, they would fit right in with govermant in this country without a bother.

And what was wrong with Leveins face......botox? Jesus!
There is clearly no gracefulness in that guy 🙈

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Something big in the offing… on 08:01 - Feb 3 with 2350 viewsQJumpingJack

I wonder what Winter thinks about this interview.
He surely can't be pleased. I also wonder if he was aware this was happening. Did the Trust go direct to the owners behind Winter's back?
Something big in the offing… on 08:10 - Feb 3 with 2331 viewsKeithHaynes

Something big in the offing… on 08:01 - Feb 3 by QJumpingJack

He surely can't be pleased. I also wonder if he was aware this was happening. Did the Trust go direct to the owners behind Winter's back?

Other way round.

Something big in the offing… on 08:11 - Feb 3 with 2325 viewsDr_Winston

It seems fairly obvious at the moment that the club is being poorly managed on and off the pitch.

Off the pitch the difference between Birch and Winter is obvious. Whilst I do have a certain sympathy for JW (no matter what he does people will moan) Birch did seem to be a far smoother operator. Maybe Winter is getting more pressure from above than Birch did. Certainly it's hard to imagine Birch contemplating an extended contract for Russy given his lack of achievement so far.

On the pitch, despite the barrage of excuses being continually made for him by obviously friendly sources, Martin continues to flounder about making the same mistakes over and over again seemingly without one iota of self reflection., laying the blame everywhere except at his own door. It's extremely telling that even some players he hasn't treated shabbily are reluctant to extend their time here. Some may be more vocal than others over the quality of the plans they are being trained to implement, but they'll all be thinking it.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Something big in the offing… on 08:23 - Feb 3 with 2276 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Something big in the offing… on 08:01 - Feb 3 by QJumpingJack

The trust are part owners of the club. Talking to the other club owners is hardly going behind anyone's back.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Something big in the offing… on 08:48 - Feb 3 with 2242 viewsshandyjack

not sure how this guy got the job at questioning the owners, but he doesn't pushback on any answers. There are quite a few threads to pull at in the videO but he just brushes past them with a set list of questions.
I'd have liked him to push them more on the 0/8 answer, who were the 8, what were the targets.
Should have pushed them when they said they did not change goalposts, as that's a line we've been fed for the whole month.

But all in all i think there is a lot of truth to what they say.

Poll: Expectation for the season

Something big in the offing… on 08:58 - Feb 3 with 2218 viewsKeithHaynes

Something big in the offing… on 08:11 - Feb 3 by Dr_Winston

It seems fairly obvious at the moment that the club is being poorly managed on and off the pitch.

Off the pitch the difference between Birch and Winter is obvious. Whilst I do have a certain sympathy for JW (no matter what he does people will moan) Birch did seem to be a far smoother operator. Maybe Winter is getting more pressure from above than Birch did. Certainly it's hard to imagine Birch contemplating an extended contract for Russy given his lack of achievement so far.

On the pitch, despite the barrage of excuses being continually made for him by obviously friendly sources, Martin continues to flounder about making the same mistakes over and over again seemingly without one iota of self reflection., laying the blame everywhere except at his own door. It's extremely telling that even some players he hasn't treated shabbily are reluctant to extend their time here. Some may be more vocal than others over the quality of the plans they are being trained to implement, but they'll all be thinking it.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/59505/swans-ceo-julian-w

Something big in the offing… on 09:15 - Feb 3 with 2159 viewsshandyjack

Martin is certainly laying it on thick that the owners are fully to blame here

Poll: Expectation for the season

Something big in the offing… on 09:42 - Feb 3 with 2090 viewsonehunglow

Get your maps out and look at Newcastle and it’s location .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024