Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills 13:18 - Jul 27 with 3849 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

British Gas profits jump by 900%

Coincidence?

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 13:32 - Jul 27 with 3012 viewsSullutaCreturned

Yeah obviously a coincidence, I've heard it on tv, the jump in profits doesn't mean they are overcharging us and obviously it's completely fair that struggling families have to pay a lot more because those rich people can't buy their 5th home, their 11th car or that superyacht if prces are reduced.

Come on everybody stop being so selfish and mean to those poor little rich people, it's hard work being rich and we badly undervalue them.

NB, any sarcasm is 100% intended.
As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 13:58 - Jul 27 with 2990 viewsFlashberryjack

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 13:32 - Jul 27 by SullutaCreturned

Yeah obviously a coincidence, I've heard it on tv, the jump in profits doesn't mean they are overcharging us and obviously it's completely fair that struggling families have to pay a lot more because those rich people can't buy their 5th home, their 11th car or that superyacht if prces are reduced.

Come on everybody stop being so selfish and mean to those poor little rich people, it's hard work being rich and we badly undervalue them.

NB, any sarcasm is 100% intended.

What really annoys me, is the CEO's of these companies having the nerve to go on TV and try to justify their obscene profits.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 13:59 - Jul 27 with 2992 viewsWingstandwood

Obscene, privatised in 1986, the "family silver" sold off. Harold Macmillan was right to describe that type of privatisation with those very words, and in the excellent way that he did.

His descriptive has been stuck in many people's minds decades later.

Argus!

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 15:02 - Jul 27 with 2962 viewsBoundy

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 13:59 - Jul 27 by Wingstandwood

Obscene, privatised in 1986, the "family silver" sold off. Harold Macmillan was right to describe that type of privatisation with those very words, and in the excellent way that he did.

and for those who never heard or saw it the first time , RIP off Britain , never has a title has ever been more accurate

or if you're inclined , this article from the Guardian a few years back

Selling off the family silver? Cameron and Osborne have gone way beyond that

Selling off the family silver: that was the accusation against Margaret Thatcher, when Harold Macmillan condemned her with resoundingly aristocratic disdain. “The sale of assets is common with individuals and the state when they run into financial difficulties. First the Georgian silver goes, and then all the nice furniture that used to be in the saloon. Then the Canalettos go.” He ventured “to question the using of these huge sums as if they were income.”

The wise old man warned in the Lords: “Modern economists have decided there is no difference between capital and income. I am not so sure.” He recalled 1929, “when your Lordships had friends, very good friends, who failed to make this distinction. For a few years everything went well, and then at last the crash came, and they were forced to retire to some dingy lodging-house in Boulogne.”

Harold Macmillan, you may remember, was once claimed by David Cameron as his role model, back in his sunshine-in, “compassionate Conservatism” days. Cameron had a photo of Macmillan, not Thatcher, on his desk. No longer.

Royal Mail
Tories accused of shortchanging public as £26bn privatisation haul revealed

For Cameron and George Osborne are now selling off more silver at knockdown prices than Thatcher ever considered. She sold off state industries; they are bent on shedding the fabric of the state itself – capital, boiled down and poured into current income – as if there were no tomorrow. Before long, large parts of the public realm will feel like that dingy Boulogne boarding house.

New analysis shows a record £26.4bn was raised last year alone by state sales. The Press Association lists this fire sale: Royal Mail, Eurostar, Northern Rock and shares in RBS and Lloyds were just the ones that made headlines (and though the chancellor today halted the sale of the rest of the Lloyds shares, that’s just what it was: a delay). Already this year, 67 acres of King’s Cross land has been sold for £371m. And London land is exceptionally precious – land the state will need but can never regain.

Ahead lies the threatened sale of Channel 4, vengeful and ideological – and much more. “Central to our plan to fix the public finances is the sale of government assets to help pay down the national debt and ensure economic security for working people,” says the Treasury. Listen to Macmillan rattling a silver ladle his grave.

The forced sale of state-owned land is asset-stripping with a political purpose, matching Osborne’s target to shrink the state to 35% of GDP by 2020. Cameron says that’s permanent, so of course they will sell the land it stands on, to stop it regrowing.

The closeness of this government with private interests, the in-and-out revolving doors between ministers and business, (Labour ministers did that too) and the sweetheart tax deals revealed over Google, make these sales at too-low prices doubly suspect. Whether ineptitude, naivety or venality is to blame, the taxpayer rarely comes well out of these selloffs.

The NHS, councils, defence and other departments are being instructed to shed land and to switch the proceeds to plug current deficits. The NHS faces a £2.5bn shortfall this year, “or perhaps north of that”, the NHS Improvement head told the public accounts committee.

Using sales proceeds may help a bit this year, but it does nothing to solve next year, or future funding when every scrap of land has gone. Schools, clinics, care homes and other services will be needed, with a growing population, more children and more old people. But Osborne’s legacy means nowhere to build.

The assault on socially owned housing and land forces councils and housing associations to sell, using the money for current spending. That stops borrowing against current property to build new: they want no new social housing for rent. That’s a win-win for Osborne and Cameron: they get money in to make it look as if deficit and debt are reducing while withdrawing the state from housing altogether.

The desperate need for housing of every kind is ignored as land is squandered, sold to developers, much of it in high-value areas, sold to be mothballed by foreign investors using homes as gold bullion.

Selling off Channel 4 would be a dogmatic act of cultural vandalism
Vince Cable
Read more
NHS privatisations continue: VirginCare took over Kent community services this month, one of many such moves. But less visibly, the NHS has been instructed to make capital-to-revenue transfers as “accounting adjustments” before April to bring the apparent debt down, according to the Health Service Journal this week.

Shabby public buildings and services will have their repair and refurbishment capital budgets taken to ease the look of current accounts – short-term and synthetic accounting. Osborne talks piously of reducing debt and deficit so as not to burden future generations, but instead he burdens them with a squalid, under-resourced public sector with debts in kind, such as Labour inherited in 1997 – schools with leaking roofs and outside toilets, hospital wards in war-time Nissen huts.

Failure to invest in people and skills, with deep cuts to further education colleges, is another way of diminishing national capital, as today the UK Commission for Employment and Skills says the shortage leaves one in four skilled jobs unfilled for lack of trained candidates in manufacturing, electricity, gas, water, construction and transport. Employers fear the 3m promised apprenticeships will be of low quality.

None of this will worry this government, as it dashes to strip everything public to bare bones, losing the experience, skills and memory that a thriving public sector needs. Already there is a grave shortage of people willing and able to become headteachers and heads of NHS trusts. University College London Hospital, a national flagship, is just one example: it has had to abandon its search and implore its current head to stay longer.

Sometimes this government over-reaches, forced to correct itself – on tax credits, or last night again in the Lords, with a small concession on one benefit. But the course is set, and it is not often diverted. Asset sales are an integral part of its long- term plan.

You've read 18 articles in the last year
Article count
on
The Guardian has spent the past 13 years tirelessly investigating the shortcomings of the Tories in office – austerity, Brexit, partygate, cronyism, the Truss debacle and the individual failings of ministers who behave as if the rules don’t apply to them.

Our work has resulted in resignations, apologies and policy corrections. Our continued revelations about the conveyor belt of Tory dysfunction are the latest in a long line of important scoops. And with an election just round the corner, we won’t stop now. It’s crucial that we can all make informed decisions about who is best to lead the UK. Will you invest in the Guardian this year?

Unlike many others, the Guardian has no shareholders and no billionaire owner. Just the determination and passion to deliver high-impact global reporting, always free from commercial or political influence. Reporting like this is vital for democracy, for fairness and to demand better from the powerful.

And we provide all this for free, for everyone to read. We do this because we believe in information equality. Greater numbers of people can keep track of the events shaping our world, understand their impact on people and communities, and become inspired to take meaningful action. Millions can benefit from open access to quality, truthful news, regardless of their ability to pay for it

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 15:25 - Jul 27 with 2953 viewsLuther27

Record profits…again, and not the only energy company that will post extremely high profits. Supermarkets…record profits….Banks….record profits. Water companies denying a G7 country the human right of clean drinking water whilst lowering the standards of effluent treatment.

All the above are allowed to get away with it because of a total lack of Governance by our political hierarchy. When Labour get into power nothing will change apart from headline grabbing sound bites. I absolutely despair it has come to this.
As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 15:36 - Jul 27 with 2938 viewsWingstandwood

It's not only about extortionate prices either, try getting an engineer out for a privatised utility.

I had trouble with the BT phone and had to phone an Indian call centre to listen on a line that's volume was so low that it was barely audible, and it was made worse by the hard to understand accent of the advisor on the other end.

I was then told to (amateur telecom engineer for the day?) inspect household phone connections myself having to get on my hands and knees to floor level, and to do so whilst the advisor on the other end gave out the orders. How some pensioners with health/hearing difficulties could ever manage?

The engineer eventually came out, but not as a.s.a.p compared to bygone times. The thing is? It was claimed that privatisation would bring in more competition to keep prices down along with utterly false claims that it would provide a better service.

Better service? I can remember when the BT phone depot in Swansea was a sea of yellow vans According to the BT engineer that called to my house modern day staffing is nowhere near acceptable.

Argus!

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 17:20 - Jul 27 with 2888 viewsSullutaCreturned

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 15:36 - Jul 27 by Wingstandwood

It's not only about extortionate prices either, try getting an engineer out for a privatised utility.

I had trouble with the BT phone and had to phone an Indian call centre to listen on a line that's volume was so low that it was barely audible, and it was made worse by the hard to understand accent of the advisor on the other end.

I was then told to (amateur telecom engineer for the day?) inspect household phone connections myself having to get on my hands and knees to floor level, and to do so whilst the advisor on the other end gave out the orders. How some pensioners with health/hearing difficulties could ever manage?

The engineer eventually came out, but not as a.s.a.p compared to bygone times. The thing is? It was claimed that privatisation would bring in more competition to keep prices down along with utterly false claims that it would provide a better service.

Better service? I can remember when the BT phone depot in Swansea was a sea of yellow vans According to the BT engineer that called to my house modern day staffing is nowhere near acceptable.

You're dead right and it's the same story wherever you look.

Try phoning any of the big companies and you'll wait a long time while some (like DPD Swansea) never answer but take up the invitation for an online chat and you're seen/dealt with in a few minutes. They probably have people dealing with 5-6 customers at the same time online whereas a phone call means 121 service.

Go into any supermarket and there's fewer manned tils open but plenty of self service tils with one staff member to deal with 15 to 20 tils nd they tell us they are not cutting jobs which is playing with words; what they are doing is in management speak called natural wastage, when someone leaves/retires they just don't replace them then say we are not sacking people. It's literally true, they are not sacking people but it's still cutting jobs too.
As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 17:37 - Jul 27 with 2860 viewsonehunglow

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 17:20 - Jul 27 by SullutaCreturned

You're dead right and it's the same story wherever you look.

Try phoning any of the big companies and you'll wait a long time while some (like DPD Swansea) never answer but take up the invitation for an online chat and you're seen/dealt with in a few minutes. They probably have people dealing with 5-6 customers at the same time online whereas a phone call means 121 service.

Go into any supermarket and there's fewer manned tils open but plenty of self service tils with one staff member to deal with 15 to 20 tils nd they tell us they are not cutting jobs which is playing with words; what they are doing is in management speak called natural wastage, when someone leaves/retires they just don't replace them then say we are not sacking people. It's literally true, they are not sacking people but it's still cutting jobs too.

As regards self serve tills,people should simply boycott them.It’s turkeys and Christmas .

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Login to get fewer ads

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 18:17 - Jul 27 with 2822 viewsjohnlangy

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 17:37 - Jul 27 by onehunglow

As regards self serve tills,people should simply boycott them.It’s turkeys and Christmas .

Correct ohl. It's so easy.

Even if you've got just a few things go to a manned till. And if someone says 'would you like to use the self service tills ?' say no politely and when they say 'they're easy to use' say politely 'I know, but they cost jobs. Thank you for your help'. And then have a little chat with the real person at the till
As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 18:22 - Jul 27 with 2818 viewsReslovenSwan1

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 13:59 - Jul 27 by Wingstandwood

I have shares in Centrica and National Power. Centrica share go up and down and they are either making a lot of money like now or losing a lot of money like 3 years ago. I will not make a lot of money from my shares. National Grid has been solid rather than a spectacular investment. They got hammered by cheaper competitors. But they were too cheap and many went bust.

I bought the shares off Mr Thatchers Government. It belonged to me anyway of course. British Gas was spilt into the local and Global exploration groups. Centrica is the local group dealing with UK offshore gas supplies and boilers etc.

British gas went from £1 to £2 and I sold my shares. It was a runaway success with gas field in Brasil and India and other places. It was freed from the chains of Government ownership. It reached £12 per share. Eventually Shell bought it giving UK investors a very tidy profit.

every uK citizen over 18 could by these cheap shares and share in the wealth creation. I did OK. I took a risk and made a few bob. I did not cry when the great unwashed who taook no risks applied a windfall tax. It is my money. OK have some. I do not expect the taxpayer to bale out Centrica when it hits a hard times again when the wwar is over.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2023 13:58]

Wise sage since Toshack era

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 18:50 - Jul 27 with 2812 viewsBillyChong

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 18:22 - Jul 27 by ReslovenSwan1

I have shares in Centrica and National Power. Centrica share go up and down and they are either making a lot of money like now or losing a lot of money like 3 years ago. I will not make a lot of money from my shares. National Grid has been solid rather than a spectacular investment. They got hammered by cheaper competitors. But they were too cheap and many went bust.

I bought the shares off Mr Thatchers Government. It belonged to me anyway of course. British Gas was spilt into the local and Global exploration groups. Centrica is the local group dealing with UK offshore gas supplies and boilers etc.

British gas went from £1 to £2 and I sold my shares. It was a runaway success with gas field in Brasil and India and other places. It was freed from the chains of Government ownership. It reached £12 per share. Eventually Shell bought it giving UK investors a very tidy profit.

every uK citizen over 18 could by these cheap shares and share in the wealth creation. I did OK. I took a risk and made a few bob. I did not cry when the great unwashed who taook no risks applied a windfall tax. It is my money. OK have some. I do not expect the taxpayer to bale out Centrica when it hits a hard times again when the wwar is over.
[Post edited 29 Jul 2023 13:58]

Making a quid per share is all well and good whenever that was. In the long run the public get hammered for much more in overpriced bills whilst the Tories protect profiteering.
As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 18:59 - Jul 27 with 2803 viewscontroversial_jack

Capitalism at it’s finest. Trickle down, my arse!
As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 19:00 - Jul 27 with 2807 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 18:17 - Jul 27 by johnlangy

Correct ohl. It's so easy.

Even if you've got just a few things go to a manned till. And if someone says 'would you like to use the self service tills ?' say no politely and when they say 'they're easy to use' say politely 'I know, but they cost jobs. Thank you for your help'. And then have a little chat with the real person at the till

They also must be an absolute loss sink for these companies with people “forgetting” to scan beef joints and other expensive items.

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 15:43 - Jul 28 with 2663 viewsReslovenSwan1

Centrica has had a rough time over recent years. It is famine or feast for these companies. Things were not so good 3 years ago. UK people have lived the good life over the last 20 years. Booming house prices and high debt reflect the wealth in communities.

The era of low inflation is over sadly.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/feb/13/british-gas-owner-centrica-suff

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 16:31 - Jul 28 with 2653 viewsSullutaCreturned

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 15:43 - Jul 28 by ReslovenSwan1

Centrica has had a rough time over recent years. It is famine or feast for these companies. Things were not so good 3 years ago. UK people have lived the good life over the last 20 years. Booming house prices and high debt reflect the wealth in communities.

The era of low inflation is over sadly.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/feb/13/british-gas-owner-centrica-suff

From a different perpsective, Centrica and British gas lost money because so mnay customers went elsewhere, as I did. I left BG because they were outstandingly rubbish, service was rubbish in every department I had the misfortune to deal with so I went over to another company and changed another few times before ending u with Octops who are great.

Isn't it a case of a private business being run poorly and csting money which often ends up with the taxpayer being asked to bail them out, like with the railways and banks?

In those 3 years wasn't a fair amount of Centrica and BG's problem that we had a long, hot summer so gas use plummeted, along with a big loss of cutomers obviously?
As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 22:06 - Jul 28 with 2620 viewsReslovenSwan1

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 16:31 - Jul 28 by SullutaCreturned

From a different perpsective, Centrica and British gas lost money because so mnay customers went elsewhere, as I did. I left BG because they were outstandingly rubbish, service was rubbish in every department I had the misfortune to deal with so I went over to another company and changed another few times before ending u with Octops who are great.

Isn't it a case of a private business being run poorly and csting money which often ends up with the taxpayer being asked to bail them out, like with the railways and banks?

In those 3 years wasn't a fair amount of Centrica and BG's problem that we had a long, hot summer so gas use plummeted, along with a big loss of cutomers obviously?

The idea of privatisation was to make profit the target and this should lead to a drive for efficiency and lower cost. Offwat would fix prices and companies like Centrica would profit only from becoming more efficient.

We came from an era of the three day week and power cuts caused by the NUM. I remember them. It seems like a thing of the past these days.

A lot of companies who under cut Centrica went bust presumably through fluctuations in wholesale prices and g being locked in to fixed price plans. Centrica also are trying to get rid of nuclear plants. They are never good to have with maturity.

I read that Centrica had very little actual storage and would not be ready for a particularly harsh winter. Big telescopic gas tanks seem from a bygone age. (Cricket at the Oval coincidentally reminded me of them). I think they use big underground caverns these days.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2023 22:06]

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 08:30 - Jul 29 with 2569 viewsSullutaCreturned

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 22:06 - Jul 28 by ReslovenSwan1

The idea of privatisation was to make profit the target and this should lead to a drive for efficiency and lower cost. Offwat would fix prices and companies like Centrica would profit only from becoming more efficient.

We came from an era of the three day week and power cuts caused by the NUM. I remember them. It seems like a thing of the past these days.

A lot of companies who under cut Centrica went bust presumably through fluctuations in wholesale prices and g being locked in to fixed price plans. Centrica also are trying to get rid of nuclear plants. They are never good to have with maturity.

I read that Centrica had very little actual storage and would not be ready for a particularly harsh winter. Big telescopic gas tanks seem from a bygone age. (Cricket at the Oval coincidentally reminded me of them). I think they use big underground caverns these days.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2023 22:06]

We were told that privatisation would lead to more choice, to better services and lower prices.

None of that was true. it all became a system for transference of wealth from the masses to the already rich with a few shares allowed to be bought by the hoi polloi to keep us quiet. The vast majority of the shares ended up in hedge funds with the vast majority of the massive dividends that have been paid out over the decades going to the already rich.

I too remember the miners strikes, I was 17 in 1984. My maternal grandpa had been a miner and he had warned us about Scargill, he didn't like him and said there'd be trouble. he had retired before the strikes started but he ket up to date.

The unions don't have the same powers anymore though and obviusy the NUM is history. centrica, like many other private utility companies, didn't invest enough in infrastructure, this is why we don't have the gas or eletricity storage capacity and why billions of litres of water leak away every year. The profits weren't reinvested, they were given away in dividends, bonuses and board level pay rises.

These private compnaies going bust just shows that they are no better than the nationalised industries, they just have different problems.
As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 09:29 - Jul 29 with 2556 viewscontroversial_jack

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 08:30 - Jul 29 by SullutaCreturned

We were told that privatisation would lead to more choice, to better services and lower prices.

None of that was true. it all became a system for transference of wealth from the masses to the already rich with a few shares allowed to be bought by the hoi polloi to keep us quiet. The vast majority of the shares ended up in hedge funds with the vast majority of the massive dividends that have been paid out over the decades going to the already rich.

I too remember the miners strikes, I was 17 in 1984. My maternal grandpa had been a miner and he had warned us about Scargill, he didn't like him and said there'd be trouble. he had retired before the strikes started but he ket up to date.

The unions don't have the same powers anymore though and obviusy the NUM is history. centrica, like many other private utility companies, didn't invest enough in infrastructure, this is why we don't have the gas or eletricity storage capacity and why billions of litres of water leak away every year. The profits weren't reinvested, they were given away in dividends, bonuses and board level pay rises.

These private compnaies going bust just shows that they are no better than the nationalised industries, they just have different problems.

Nationalised companies seem to well enough on the continent, they own most of our infrastructure and utilities. Thatcher said, she wanted to take the Electricity industry out of state hands and into private ones. What happened the French state bought it.

There were power cuts and strikes, yes, but it wasn't like it was happening daily. Scargill was right though and your Grandpa - god bless him, was wrong

As for the nationalised companies having problems? I remember trains running on time, plenty of busses etc.
As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 10:03 - Jul 29 with 2552 viewsKilkennyjack

Labour should renationalise the lot.

Its profiteering not service provision.

If shit in our rivers and beaches does not scream failure then i don’t know what does.
The obscene energy company profits.

Even i will admit that British Rail, British Gas, Water Board, Electricity, BP, BT, Royal Mail etc were all parts of our lives that provided a common stable framework of positives related to the provision of the British State. Next to nothing is left.

As Frankie said … ‘we are not in the middle of a cost of living crises, we are in the middle of a robbery’.

Never ever vote Tory.

Beware of the Risen People

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 10:05 - Jul 29 with 2551 viewsKilkennyjack

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 09:29 - Jul 29 by controversial_jack

Nationalised companies seem to well enough on the continent, they own most of our infrastructure and utilities. Thatcher said, she wanted to take the Electricity industry out of state hands and into private ones. What happened the French state bought it.

There were power cuts and strikes, yes, but it wasn't like it was happening daily. Scargill was right though and your Grandpa - god bless him, was wrong

As for the nationalised companies having problems? I remember trains running on time, plenty of busses etc.

Sadly Scargill was right.

Thatcher ruined lives and cared not.

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 11:30 - Jul 29 with 2526 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 10:03 - Jul 29 by Kilkennyjack

If shit in our rivers and beaches does not scream failure then i don’t know what does.

Even i will admit that British Rail, British Gas, Water Board, Electricity, BP, BT, Royal Mail etc were all parts of our lives that provided a common stable framework of positives related to the provision of the British State. Next to nothing is left.

As Frankie said … ‘we are not in the middle of a cost of living crises, we are in the middle of a robbery’.

Never ever vote Tory.

Labour had 13 years driving privatisation and deregulation. They are just the other side of the same coin.

Until we can get rid of this perverse two party state system we are stuck with this mess in afraid.

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 12:43 - Jul 29 with 2497 viewsSullutaCreturned

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 10:05 - Jul 29 by Kilkennyjack

Sadly Scargill was right.

Thatcher ruined lives and cared not.

Scargill ruined lives too and he gave Thatcher all the excuses she needed. he's as guilty as she is.

I wonder how the miners and the NUM would have reacted to the drive for green power? What would they say if the government went eco friendly and simply closed the mines because they are destroying the climate?
As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 14:19 - Jul 29 with 2463 viewsReslovenSwan1

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 10:03 - Jul 29 by Kilkennyjack

Never ever vote Tory.

This is where you and I disagree on the future of Wales. What you advocate is the bad old days socialist days.

Things are far better today and in the zero inflation period 2002 -2020 working people befitted and here was very little industrial action and inconvenience to the public.

Most were politically driven rail disputes like Southern Rail where the dispute was over guards and the need to improve efficiency. Drakeford's Government has done well and come to an agreement with the unions.

The British people have bee seduced by the Brexit themed approach "cutting red tape" and weakening what used to called quangos and Government bodies. The Environmental act was forced on UK by the EU.

Subsequently the Environment agency and Welsh equivalent are toothless. This is why the Wye is alkaline as planning permission was given to hundreds a chicken farms in the Wye valley 40 million chickens with the guano leached into the river.

I bought shares and getting a modest return. 3-4%. The problem is regulation of the water authorities. From what I read Thames Water was loaded with the debts of others. Lack of regulation I would say. This is what people voted for in 2016.

"Free British business of Euro regulations and we will fly like a bird".

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 16:03 - Jul 29 with 2438 viewsKilkennyjack

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 14:19 - Jul 29 by ReslovenSwan1

This is where you and I disagree on the future of Wales. What you advocate is the bad old days socialist days.

Things are far better today and in the zero inflation period 2002 -2020 working people befitted and here was very little industrial action and inconvenience to the public.

Most were politically driven rail disputes like Southern Rail where the dispute was over guards and the need to improve efficiency. Drakeford's Government has done well and come to an agreement with the unions.

The British people have bee seduced by the Brexit themed approach "cutting red tape" and weakening what used to called quangos and Government bodies. The Environmental act was forced on UK by the EU.

Subsequently the Environment agency and Welsh equivalent are toothless. This is why the Wye is alkaline as planning permission was given to hundreds a chicken farms in the Wye valley 40 million chickens with the guano leached into the river.

I bought shares and getting a modest return. 3-4%. The problem is regulation of the water authorities. From what I read Thames Water was loaded with the debts of others. Lack of regulation I would say. This is what people voted for in 2016.

"Free British business of Euro regulations and we will fly like a bird".

I certainly do not advocate a model in which Wales always votes labour, but the decisions are then made by an English Tory government in London.
Been here for 100 years.

I want all decisions impacting Wales to be taken by welsh people, in wales.
A democratic model.

My vote would be for a socialist progressive party.
I respect that you and others will want something else.
We debate, we vote - and wales will be better for it.

The lapdog wales model of George Thomas is nearly dead. Good.

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 17:42 - Jul 29 with 2421 viewsSullutaCreturned

As we are all struggling with rising costs of energy bills on 16:03 - Jul 29 by Kilkennyjack

I certainly do not advocate a model in which Wales always votes labour, but the decisions are then made by an English Tory government in London.
Been here for 100 years.

I want all decisions impacting Wales to be taken by welsh people, in wales.
A democratic model.

My vote would be for a socialist progressive party.
I respect that you and others will want something else.
We debate, we vote - and wales will be better for it.

The lapdog wales model of George Thomas is nearly dead. Good.

Socialism and Capitalism are broken, in either system the corruption flourishes.

People should be brought up to think for themselves and not progammed to vote for what their parents did.

I personally don't believe in party politics any more. It seems to me a majority in any government means they can do things that the majority of the electorate do not want,

I don't have the anwers but I'd be happier if every candidate was an independent who could voce their leanings to let, right or anywhere in between. Then all votes in Parliament are free but secret only to be revealed at the next hustings so the voters could check their record. Then we need candidates to be PM who would choose his/her cabinet from the elected MP's.

No more whips, no more threats to careers unless you toe the line. Promotion by ability not by loyalty.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024