Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
False 9 17:59 - Nov 13 with 3085 viewsBirminghamR

Much improved over last 2 games and I have faith in what I now see.
However truth remains -
Our strikers are struggling to register.
Our wingers & midfield are struggling to create.
Found myself thinking, how could we operate with no strikers - attacking midfielders breaking into box as played by another Spanish coach up the M6.
How might this work for us? Would it? Which players would benefit?
Thoughts on a postcard...
False 9 on 18:06 - Nov 13 with 3036 viewsAndybrat

Play to our strength the goals lie in Chair, Smyth ( did you see the Irish goal) Willock, and already Colback and Dozzell. Top scorer a full back, reckon there could be a revolution coming.
False 9 on 19:43 - Nov 13 with 2790 viewsngbqpr

False 9 on 18:06 - Nov 13 by Andybrat

Play to our strength the goals lie in Chair, Smyth ( did you see the Irish goal) Willock, and already Colback and Dozzell. Top scorer a full back, reckon there could be a revolution coming.

Never been a liker of Man U - but for me by far Fergie's most exciting team was the one which had Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez as a front 3 all given license to roam and basically do whatever the fk they wanted to freak out defences. False 9s, false wingers, call it what you will.

Marti likes 433, perhaps we can do a Championship version with 3 from Chair, Richards, Willock and Smyth.

I did say 'perhaps'...

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

False 9 on 19:48 - Nov 13 with 2783 viewsBurnleyhoop

Have to agree. A big non scoring lump up front doesn’t suit our ball players. We need to play our way into goal scoring opportunities and as such, should select the appropriate personnel.

Like many, hoping to see Chair and Willock on the pitch together on a more regular basis.

Will again be interesting to see if Marti perseveres with the same line up and tactics after the break, as I’m sure he will be looking closely at our ongoing abject failure in the final third, knowing we need an immediate improvement if we are to dig ourselves out of the hole we are in.
False 9 on 19:54 - Nov 13 with 2770 viewsMick_S

Could someone please explain a false 9 to me. Genuinely don’t understand it.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

False 9 on 20:12 - Nov 13 with 2703 viewsngbqpr

False 9 on 19:54 - Nov 13 by Mick_S

Essentially, it's playing with no recognised centre forward. Pep did it at City for a while post-Aguero / pre-Haaland, with a bunch of creative players roaming around the front line (as per my Man Utd comment above), one maybe being a bit more central (it was often Foden) - but none being a striker in the traditional sense.

Usually works with three forward players.

In the single example of an interesting coaching idea that Redknapp had at Rangers, he did it with Adel in that 1-0 win at Stamford Bridge when SWP scored.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

False 9 on 20:31 - Nov 13 with 2650 viewsGroveR

False 9 on 20:12 - Nov 13 by ngbqpr

Essentially, it's playing with no recognised centre forward. Pep did it at City for a while post-Aguero / pre-Haaland, with a bunch of creative players roaming around the front line (as per my Man Utd comment above), one maybe being a bit more central (it was often Foden) - but none being a striker in the traditional sense.

In the single example of an interesting coaching idea that Redknapp had at Rangers, he did it with Adel in that 1-0 win at Stamford Bridge when SWP scored.

Regardless of the 4 years stealing a living here, I reckon if SWP had celebrated that goal in front of the shed by kissing the badge, flicking out a few ŵanker signs, maybe wiping his arse with a chel*** shirt, he'd probably be a candidate for the Forever Rs.
False 9 on 20:47 - Nov 13 with 2580 viewshubble

I pointed this out in another thread, but Dykes didn't feature in our best games under Beale, he played Chair as a false 9, for example Bristol City away featured a front three of Willock, Chair and Roberts.

If (I know it's a big if) Richards comes good, Marti could replicate that. Or I suppose you could try Smyth in a pinch. Or even Dozzell.

[Post edited 13 Nov 2023 20:48]

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

False 9 on 21:45 - Nov 13 with 2448 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Not sure why some are now spouting 'False 9' nonsense like they think they're Pep, when the obvious has been before everyone's eyes for several years. Namely, we've had several strikers wearing 9 who've all been 'False' as far as I can fathom!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Login to get fewer ads

False 9 on 05:03 - Nov 14 with 2209 viewsLoftgirl

False 9 on 20:12 - Nov 13 by ngbqpr

We've had a false nine for three years.
False 9 on 08:01 - Nov 14 with 2095 viewsWokingR

It's where you tell the player he is playing as No 9 but then give him a shirt with No 8 on instead. And don't tell him.
It's hilarious.
False 9 on 12:07 - Nov 14 with 1897 viewsrobith

Your striker drops deep to pull defences out of position to allow your wingers and 10 to flow into the space they create and provide an extra playmaker.

Works when you have a striker with intelligent running, good hold up and link play.

Doesn't work when Harry Kane decides it means he's going to play defensive midfield
False 9 on 12:19 - Nov 14 with 1857 viewsJuzzie

David Luiz was a False No 6 (well, his actual no. was 23) defender at Chelsea. Hilariously tragic at defending but scarily good as a forward minded midfielder. No idea why he didn't play there more often.

Maybe 'cos I'm old but I find it strange that players other than strikers are being asked to score most of the goals. If they do, doesn't that then make them 'strikers'?
False 9 on 12:26 - Nov 14 with 1817 viewsActonExile

False 9 on 05:03 - Nov 14 by Loftgirl

We've had a false nine for three years.

I was thinking exactly the same and thought it might come across(by the masses) as either defeatist or sarcastic but i'll settle for ironic.
But your right we haven't had a proper 9 for a long time.

Poll: Wherever QPR end up playing home games in the future, what is most important?

False 9 on 13:00 - Nov 14 with 1743 viewsCamberleyR

Isn't the false nine essentially the same as the great Hungarian team of the early 50s pioneered with Nandor Hidegkuti although back then he was called a deep lying centre forward.

Man City in the mid 1950s copied it with Don Revie playing the deep lying forward role and won the FA Cup (the Trautmann final) playing it.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024