Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Intensity energy & desire 22:12 - Mar 18 with 1374 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

We have obviously had a god awful season by our standards but the big frustration for me is if we approached every game with even half the levels as we did on Saturday we’d probably be in the playoff contention at least.

That should be the base mark going forwards week in week out now. I don’t think anyone would complain at any defeat if we have that level of commitment and desire. It’s when we lose and don’t lay a glove on the opposition that understandably makes people moan which has happened too often this year. Hopefully this is a turning point.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Intensity energy & desire on 22:45 - Mar 18 with 1343 viewsjackrmee

I agree.
Scum derby is bound to give them an extra few percent, along with the fans, the occasion, and fair play to Williams, he’s done well to build everyone up for this one.

But yeah, totally agree, this should be a benchmark. They have shown what they can do when they are motivated to do so. It’s up to Williams and his team to get them fired up like that for every game.
I think that’s what managers like Mourinho and Ferguson were so good at…less the tactics, more the man management, encouragers.

Then there’s the the more tactical managers, like potter or Wenger.
I think Williams is definitely in this boat. Obviously not on the aforementioned level (yet).

Then there’s those who can do both, like pep and klopp.
If LW can work on his “encouraging” man management stuff, (as the build up to the Cardiff game shows, he certainly knows how to get them up for a game), we could really do some damage in the coming months. And our manager would probably then get poached.

Actually, it may be a good idea to not go on a blistering run now towards the end of the season. Last thing we want is to have to find another manager again.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Intensity energy & desire on 23:11 - Mar 18 with 1308 viewsswancity

Our home form ( 6 wins from 19 ) has been awful but we have done quite well away and 15th position is certainly not “ awful “.

We did play very well against Cardiff but they were dismal. They were by far the worst team we have seen this season. Of course we didn’t let them play but they offered nothing really. We are starting to look like a well balanced side with pace energy and unpredictable wide players. They have made an impact.

Ten points from five games suggests there’s an improvement. We need to be more consistent now and most importantly try to keep our best players. That’s not happened for too long.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Intensity energy & desire on 03:54 - Mar 19 with 1244 viewsRhonddaSwans

We targeted players properly on and off the pitch.

Our ground could be a fortress if we were even half as hostile

Poll: Euro 2024 Winner 🏆 Predictions

Intensity energy & desire on 07:06 - Mar 19 with 1198 viewsDr_Winston

It's important that supporters don't actually do what Cardiff fans accuse them of and care more about the Derby than any other game. Winning it can excuse managers of an awful lot in some fans eyes (witness the last two years) and it's important that this result doesn't now go to their heads.

By any sensible appraisal, Williams hasn't achieved an awful lot so far in his time here. That it's taken a derby and the best part of three months to get a 90 minute performance out of his players should raise the question why it hasn't happened sooner, not be a reason for overlooking it.

As you say, we now know what the players are capable of. Failure to hit those levels more consistently would be just that. Failure.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Intensity energy & desire on 08:27 - Mar 19 with 1136 viewsOptimisticJack

Managers need to be given time.
Luke Williams joined us at a difficult time in the middle of a run of extremely difficult fixtures in which we had a few beatings.
We have seen some good first half performances - Sunderland being one.
Agree though Cardiff was the first all round 90 minute performance.
Hopefully we can secure our league status over the Easter period and from now on in LW can continue to make his mark on our team.
10 points from 15 is a good start.
[Post edited 19 Mar 8:34]

Optimisticjack

Intensity energy & desire on 08:39 - Mar 19 with 1097 viewsBoundy

For me the only disappointment on Saturday was watching a virtually complete team performance along with a 90 minute support by the crowd all of which has been sadly missing for the season , the cooks' prematch talk shouldn't be the catalyst for the above but a given as near as dam it for every game. Hopefully the feeling of euphoria will help raise the attendance for the QPR match and the remaining home games and that the performance shown by the players if is only 3/4s of Saturdays should get us comfortably over the line .IMO of course

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Intensity energy & desire on 08:47 - Mar 19 with 1083 viewsjack247

Ok, that was our first 90 minute performance under Williams and the opposition were mediocre.

It’s fair to point out though, it was also our first 90 minute performance all season, arguably excluding Sheffield Wednesday who were abysmal at the time.

Under Duff, we were on top for 15/20 minutes of a game at best. We’re now routinely dominant for the first 45/60 minutes. We do need to get better at taking our chances in these periods. We absolutely need to get better at maintaining control when the likes of Allen and Paterson come off.

We’re not there yet, we will have the odd flat performance like Bristol City, but we’ve come a long way from where we were a few months ago.
Intensity energy & desire on 09:00 - Mar 19 with 1078 viewsBoundy

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Login to get fewer ads

Intensity energy & desire on 09:26 - Mar 19 with 1054 viewsWhiterockin

I don't believe we could continue with the intensity energy and desire over several games the players bodies would just not take it. This match was against Cardiff, adrenaline was flowing through their bodies it was plain to see, it could never be maintained. Add to that most of the players have 2 weeks recovery and were not thinking of the next game in 3 days or so, neither were the coach or medical team. Yes I am hoping for more and as the original post says "if we approached every game with even half the levels as we did on Saturday we’d probably be in the playoff contention at least" but to expect a similar performance as Saturday when you are playing two games a week is out of the question in my opinion.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Intensity energy & desire on 15:49 - Mar 19 with 924 viewsRichardO

The injury situation has been dire this season we now have had to rely on "old heads" to stabilise the downward spiral and when they were not included from the start or started to slow down and taken off the team preformances have dropped, we have been unable to keep the standard of players up as we replace Allen, Paterson, Naughton Placheta and Ronald.
Did having Key back available after what appears to be a serious injury for Naughton help maintain our shape also allowing Cooper at a preferred position on the left for me, he adds a better defensive cover same as he did for Manning.
Is it a case of being one or two players short to keep the quality up in games.
With the lost of Cabango and now Naughton are we again short of players?
Intensity energy & desire on 15:52 - Mar 19 with 917 viewsWhiterockin

Intensity energy & desire on 15:49 - Mar 19 by RichardO

The injury situation has been dire this season we now have had to rely on "old heads" to stabilise the downward spiral and when they were not included from the start or started to slow down and taken off the team preformances have dropped, we have been unable to keep the standard of players up as we replace Allen, Paterson, Naughton Placheta and Ronald.
Did having Key back available after what appears to be a serious injury for Naughton help maintain our shape also allowing Cooper at a preferred position on the left for me, he adds a better defensive cover same as he did for Manning.
Is it a case of being one or two players short to keep the quality up in games.
With the lost of Cabango and now Naughton are we again short of players?

The loss of Cabango improved us on Saturday in my opinion, would Dalling have played because he was immense.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Intensity energy & desire on 16:58 - Mar 19 with 850 viewsDr_Winston

Intensity energy & desire on 08:47 - Mar 19 by jack247

Ok, that was our first 90 minute performance under Williams and the opposition were mediocre.

It’s fair to point out though, it was also our first 90 minute performance all season, arguably excluding Sheffield Wednesday who were abysmal at the time.

Under Duff, we were on top for 15/20 minutes of a game at best. We’re now routinely dominant for the first 45/60 minutes. We do need to get better at taking our chances in these periods. We absolutely need to get better at maintaining control when the likes of Allen and Paterson come off.

We’re not there yet, we will have the odd flat performance like Bristol City, but we’ve come a long way from where we were a few months ago.

"It’s fair to point out though, it was also our first 90 minute performance all season"

Not really. The four straight wins from 23rd Sep to 7th Oct were all good performances for far more than "15/20 minutes of a game at best". It was mostly crap under Duff for sure, but not completely.

It was however our best 90 minute performance of the season, and a hopeful indication of the direction of travel. Maybe I'm cynical because we were in the same situation so often in the last two seasons. Long stints of rubbish followed by four or five decent results and then long stints of rubbish again, but Williams has the chance to prove himself more capable than his friend. The absence of a return to a back three despite now having the players required to do so is very encouraging.

Consistency will tell if we are improving. Five out of the next six games on paper look winnable, including three against the bottom three. Performances will be important even if all the results don't go our way. Performances close to what we saw at the weekend should ensure a decent return of points.
[Post edited 19 Mar 17:19]

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Intensity energy & desire on 17:21 - Mar 19 with 830 viewsRichardO

Intensity energy & desire on 15:52 - Mar 19 by Whiterockin

The loss of Cabango improved us on Saturday in my opinion, would Dalling have played because he was immense.

Cabango looked just as comfortable as part of a settled four with Naughton out right. Both are prone to misjudgement.
Darling didn't get into positions to allow Woods to pass quickly to him and needed to just drop a bit so he was not in line standing behind their forward and even when the ball came to him he didn't allow it to go across him to enable the quick ball out to the right.
The booking may have done him good as he couldn't afford to make rash challenges especially in the box as he has been known to do.
Having said that he had a great game on Saturday happy to have both players in the squad, not sure I would play them together as both looked uncomfortable on the left hand side in the centre but with a stable back four and a bit of experience together it may be possible especially if we lose Wood.
For me it is about seeing this season out safely and in a good shape to hold onto most of our first team players, introduce some youngsters and bolster the squad with good signings.
[Post edited 19 Mar 22:29]
Intensity energy & desire on 17:29 - Mar 19 with 810 viewsonehunglow

I've stated before our home crowd has sounded muted
Saturday was glorious to behold
I just hope it don't s false dawn or that our adrenaline levels aren't as high for Wednesday which is arguably bigger as they will set about us and try to kick the holy bejesus out of us
Naughton was excellent Saturday and his injury a blow I wouldn't have felt significant
In fairness, he is a great professional

Williams has had the glory because of a derby win but CArdiff in the grand scheme of things are f all
We need to set our sights higher than trashing them

Floreat Swansea

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Intensity energy & desire on 18:15 - Mar 19 with 761 viewsblackpooljack

I would hope one of our targets for the remainder of the season would be to get back to a positive goal difference.
Intensity energy & desire on 19:00 - Mar 19 with 709 viewsvetchonian

Intensity energy & desire on 07:06 - Mar 19 by Dr_Winston

It's important that supporters don't actually do what Cardiff fans accuse them of and care more about the Derby than any other game. Winning it can excuse managers of an awful lot in some fans eyes (witness the last two years) and it's important that this result doesn't now go to their heads.

By any sensible appraisal, Williams hasn't achieved an awful lot so far in his time here. That it's taken a derby and the best part of three months to get a 90 minute performance out of his players should raise the question why it hasn't happened sooner, not be a reason for overlooking it.

As you say, we now know what the players are capable of. Failure to hit those levels more consistently would be just that. Failure.

You are right Doc we shouldn't let the derby result cloud our focus as it has before.

That said I do believe we have seen us on an improving trajectory since Williams' appointment.
The football is entertaining similar in a way to that under Martinez, Rodgers et al, we havent conceded a goal form open play in 5 games with goals against coming from set pieces yet the set piece experts Cardiff failed to convert against us.
I doubt we will see the level of intensity for such long periods in future games but if that can be sustained for 60% of a game we will do well.

I know Cardiff were crap but we dominated with the ball and didnt just stroke it around our half and across the defensive line we are looking to get the ball forwards and threaten long may it continue.

Sheffield Wednesday and QPR will be a little of after the Lords Mayor show but hopefully there will be a huge amount of confidence ambition in the players after Saturday

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Intensity energy & desire on 20:24 - Mar 19 with 622 viewsjack247

Intensity energy & desire on 16:58 - Mar 19 by Dr_Winston

"It’s fair to point out though, it was also our first 90 minute performance all season"

Not really. The four straight wins from 23rd Sep to 7th Oct were all good performances for far more than "15/20 minutes of a game at best". It was mostly crap under Duff for sure, but not completely.

It was however our best 90 minute performance of the season, and a hopeful indication of the direction of travel. Maybe I'm cynical because we were in the same situation so often in the last two seasons. Long stints of rubbish followed by four or five decent results and then long stints of rubbish again, but Williams has the chance to prove himself more capable than his friend. The absence of a return to a back three despite now having the players required to do so is very encouraging.

Consistency will tell if we are improving. Five out of the next six games on paper look winnable, including three against the bottom three. Performances will be important even if all the results don't go our way. Performances close to what we saw at the weekend should ensure a decent return of points.
[Post edited 19 Mar 17:19]

You are right, there was a spell where the senior players took him aside and said they weren’t happy with the playing style. It changed quite dramatically for those games, then he panicked for Leicester at home and reverted to type. Even in those games, I can’t remember us being comfortably the better side, apart from the Wednesday one.

The holistic point, is we are far better off now than we were earlier in the season. We’d have killed to dominate even for 45 minutes for the vast majority of the season. We didn’t do it until we got through Williams’ horrendous run of early fixtures.

We’re not the finished article, of course we’re not, but it’s worth remembering where we were a few months ago before being too critical.
Intensity energy & desire on 11:30 - Mar 20 with 466 viewsRichardO

Intensity energy & desire on 20:24 - Mar 19 by jack247

You are right, there was a spell where the senior players took him aside and said they weren’t happy with the playing style. It changed quite dramatically for those games, then he panicked for Leicester at home and reverted to type. Even in those games, I can’t remember us being comfortably the better side, apart from the Wednesday one.

The holistic point, is we are far better off now than we were earlier in the season. We’d have killed to dominate even for 45 minutes for the vast majority of the season. We didn’t do it until we got through Williams’ horrendous run of early fixtures.

We’re not the finished article, of course we’re not, but it’s worth remembering where we were a few months ago before being too critical.

Is it a case that with the number of substitutions available the overall squad has to be that much stronger to achieve two successful halves whereas in the past a strong first eleven went a long way to guarantee success.
We are still losing players to injury but hopefully a number of players have become available again.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024