Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Three teams that got promoted are straight back down 17:04 - May 11 with 1389 viewsSouthamptonfan

Is there any point going up?

The gap between the established clubs in the PL and the rest is getting wider and wider.
[Post edited 11 May 17:06]

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Three teams that got promoted are straight back down on 17:26 - May 11 with 1343 viewsInTimeAddedOn

Good question, even with the equivalent of a golf handicap in the form of a 4 point deduction for Forest and an 8 point deduction for Everton none of the promoted teams from last season managed to avoid the trap door back to the Championship.
Considering the money sloshing around in the PL perhaps the time has come to give promoted teams a ‘Golden Hello’ in the form of a substantial one-off additional payment to assist with the cost of recruiting the quality of players needed to survive. Controversial some will say but if the situation has now got to this stage where to survive you have to break the financial rules and then take the hit like Forest have done then surely something needs to be done to help the promoted Clubs as trying to regulate the spending at clubs like Citeh and other so called elite clubs will always be doomed to fail as they will always find a way round it. Or, as in Citeh’s case get charged with over 100 breaches of the financial regs then nothing happens…
Three teams that got promoted are straight back down on 17:27 - May 11 with 1337 viewsarfurdent

why would the Premiership turkeys vote for Xmas

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

Three teams that got promoted are straight back down on 17:58 - May 11 with 1279 viewsgrumpy

Parachute Payment
Three teams that got promoted are straight back down on 18:32 - May 11 with 1250 viewsInTimeAddedOn

Three teams that got promoted are straight back down on 17:27 - May 11 by arfurdent

why would the Premiership turkeys vote for Xmas

Fair comment, they wouldn’t, but it could be something for the new regulator to get their teeth into.
Three teams that got promoted are straight back down on 20:20 - May 11 with 1164 viewsSouthamptonfan

Three teams that got promoted are straight back down on 17:58 - May 11 by grumpy

Parachute Payment

Yes, the one reason to go up, is to the get the parachute payments when you come back down again. But does anyone want a year of defeats, thrashings and misery, just for a couple of years money? Sheffield United in particular have had the most miserable of years ever. But they will come down with parachute payments, only to probably go up again, rinse and repeat, back down again the next year.

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

Three teams that got promoted are straight back down on 20:56 - May 11 with 1127 viewsdirk_doone

Three teams that got promoted are straight back down on 20:20 - May 11 by Southamptonfan

Yes, the one reason to go up, is to the get the parachute payments when you come back down again. But does anyone want a year of defeats, thrashings and misery, just for a couple of years money? Sheffield United in particular have had the most miserable of years ever. But they will come down with parachute payments, only to probably go up again, rinse and repeat, back down again the next year.

Nobody said it's easy but Bournemouth have managed to establish themsleves in the top flight. It was a very weak Championship last season, as shown by the fact that the 3 promoted teams came straight back down and the promoted teams this season were from League One and the PL.

The teams that go up this season won't all come straight back down again.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Three teams that got promoted are straight back down on 20:58 - May 11 with 1124 viewsA1079

Three teams that got promoted are straight back down on 17:58 - May 11 by grumpy

Parachute Payment

I don't think you should qualify for a parachute payment if you only spend one season in the PL. The 3 clubs that went up and are coming back down did not spend big (though I accept they probably had to increase their salary bill) which probably contributed to their downfall but it does mean they will have a financial advantage when they are back in the championship solely on the back of one season in the PL. It is different for clubs that have spent a number of seasons in the PL and then get relegated because their financial model has become more established to PL levels.

I am not sure of the stats but I think collectively the 3 gained the overall lowest number of points for relegation. Had Forest and Everton not had points deducted they would have been collectively relegated a couple of weeks ago.
Three teams that got promoted are straight back down on 21:06 - May 11 with 1120 viewsdirk_doone

Three teams that got promoted are straight back down on 20:58 - May 11 by A1079

I don't think you should qualify for a parachute payment if you only spend one season in the PL. The 3 clubs that went up and are coming back down did not spend big (though I accept they probably had to increase their salary bill) which probably contributed to their downfall but it does mean they will have a financial advantage when they are back in the championship solely on the back of one season in the PL. It is different for clubs that have spent a number of seasons in the PL and then get relegated because their financial model has become more established to PL levels.

I am not sure of the stats but I think collectively the 3 gained the overall lowest number of points for relegation. Had Forest and Everton not had points deducted they would have been collectively relegated a couple of weeks ago.

Luton fans will be pleased with their team's efforts this season. For a small club with a limited budget, which was a non-league team 10 years ago, they did well. I think Rob Edwards is a good manager.

Poll: Who will win the Premier League this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Three teams that got promoted are straight back down on 08:32 - May 12 with 866 viewsA1079

Three teams that got promoted are straight back down on 21:06 - May 11 by dirk_doone

Luton fans will be pleased with their team's efforts this season. For a small club with a limited budget, which was a non-league team 10 years ago, they did well. I think Rob Edwards is a good manager.

Would agree with you there Dirk. They have given it a good go and have had a good attitude with, as you say, a very limited budget and team.
Three teams that got promoted are straight back down on 12:05 - May 12 with 724 viewsBerber

Three teams that got promoted are straight back down on 20:58 - May 11 by A1079

I agree your assessment regarding form. I don’t agree about the parachute payments. There are real world costs for relegated sides, redundancies, squad shrinkages to be avoided in order to compete. If clubs are left to manage without, their squad quality will suffer. Making the better sides as denuded as the average ones will simply make it harder for any club to get into the PL and stay there. Brentwood took several seasons to get up, and still struggled.

We’ll have to see what happens to Ipswich.Plenty of promoted sides have been up at the top of the PL around Christmas, then sunk like a stone.
Three teams that got promoted are straight back down on 11:27 - May 13 with 437 viewssaint901

If we think that there is no point in chasing promotion to a league which is assumed to be too good for us, why bother playing at all?

The logical conclusion to your point is that clubs like ours should abandon ambition and the better financial rewards of the higher league and instead be content where we are.

The only way that owners and investors would be continue to be attracted to the like of Saints, if it were accepted that the PL was forever barred to us, would be a radical shake up of the leagues and their money making system. Very, very few owners are content to support clubs because they have a passion for football or the club. they are in this for the return in investment.

Some of the ideas for a radical shake up make sense. Regional leagues with salary caps for instance. Would get the vote of the eco warrior class. Matches televised every day. Would get the vote of the couch potato class. A European super league for the "top" clubs with perhaps four teams demoted each season - promoting a play off system domestically. Would get the vote of ?

However to suggest that owners etc will never get to the PL where for the moment the riches lie, would see a mass exodus in the "lower" leagues of the necessary investment.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024