Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Own worst enemy?? 13:02 - Sep 10 with 5777 viewsborodale4

Not that I am anywhere near a Coleman out opinion I just dont feel the guy is helping himself. This is modern era football and no matter what people's opinions are you cant deny sports science and training methods have evolved, however, not seemingly in JC's head. His training sessions are archaic, though admittedly, enjoyed by the majority of players. The club has no full time sports scientist, that makes us the only professional football club in the country to not do this. All teams need a triangle of management; players, management and support staff (eg, strength and conditioning coaches, physios, nutrionalists). If any of these are not up to the required standards success becomes very hard to achieve. In my opinion we are at least failing on the support staff side.

I am aware I posted this as a respose to an ealier post, just fancied seeing people's opinions.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Own worst enemy?? on 14:02 - Sep 10 with 4617 viewsSandyman

Agreed, and it does make you wonder what role Joe Hinnigan has in the backroom and what he is doing back at the club - his previous spell with Graham Barrow wasn't exactly 'scientific' in its execution or reputation, was it? Surely someone less old school and more savvy with modern sports science would be better use of a wage. I only ask because I don't know - JH might be doing a job of vital importance, but what is it?
Own worst enemy?? on 14:37 - Sep 10 with 4558 viewsThe_DJ

Own worst enemy?? on 14:02 - Sep 10 by Sandyman

Agreed, and it does make you wonder what role Joe Hinnigan has in the backroom and what he is doing back at the club - his previous spell with Graham Barrow wasn't exactly 'scientific' in its execution or reputation, was it? Surely someone less old school and more savvy with modern sports science would be better use of a wage. I only ask because I don't know - JH might be doing a job of vital importance, but what is it?

Sponge 'person'
Own worst enemy?? on 17:25 - Sep 10 with 4422 viewsYouTubeDale

When asked at the Fans' Forum whether he believed in sports science, JC answered that he did especially the nutritional side of things which is still practised at the club. He added that unfortunately there is no budget for a sports scientist this year. It does seem, on the face of it, that we are found wanting in terms of our energy levels- hence the importance of sports science. CD needs to find the money for this, even if it is part-time.
Somebody mentioned that the team did cross country in Austria. Hillcroft emphasised time and time again that all training should involve the use of the ball where possible. Surely, this helps them with basic ball skills like erm...simple passing.
At Chesterfield we were wasteful with our passes - especially Cavanagh. Listening to the Torquay game we had the same problem. And against Burton, well...
But we have at least got to keep up with our competitors in the fitness side of the game - we can't fall behind.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Own worst enemy?? on 17:50 - Sep 10 with 4367 viewsColDale

has Cavanagh always been a central midfielder? I was always under the impression he was predominantly a right back before he came here. That said, I thought he looked very good in that role against Barnsley and Chesterfield, but not so against Torquay and Burton.
Own worst enemy?? on 18:31 - Sep 10 with 4304 viewsmaccawozzagod

Own worst enemy?? on 17:50 - Sep 10 by ColDale

has Cavanagh always been a central midfielder? I was always under the impression he was predominantly a right back before he came here. That said, I thought he looked very good in that role against Barnsley and Chesterfield, but not so against Torquay and Burton.

quote Borodale4
The club has no full time sports scientist, that makes us the only professional football club in the country to not do this

neither do Stanley, neither do quite a few other teams I would imagine, have you checked all 92 club sites?

I know quite a few of your fans keep mentioning things like this, do you all place a lot of importance on it or not? My opinion on these things are that you may get an extra 1-5% out of a player but its really an elite player type of thing, much like an F1 team trying to shave that extra tenth of a second off.

At this level there are so many inconsistencies and shiteness from the players (thats why they're here not championship/premiership) that the minimal differences wouldn't effect much. Maybe all the gippo types should be made to shave their heads as the extra weight will slow them down?
Own worst enemy?? on 18:34 - Sep 10 with 4285 viewsmaccawozzagod

errm dunno why I quoted the Cavanagh thing in my previous post ....
but yes he was a right back for 299 games at Accrington
Own worst enemy?? on 19:34 - Sep 10 with 4240 viewsbilbobaggins

Own worst enemy?? on 18:34 - Sep 10 by maccawozzagod

errm dunno why I quoted the Cavanagh thing in my previous post ....
but yes he was a right back for 299 games at Accrington

sports science you can not beat pies and chips from the wilbutts chippy and a kick about in denehurst park after that its just a case of kick our opponents and hang on like they do to us when most teams come up here .they run us down early and try to demorolise us we should take a leaf out of there books and play round them for the first 20 mins the go for broke
Own worst enemy?? on 19:40 - Sep 10 with 4233 viewsTVOS1907

Own worst enemy?? on 19:34 - Sep 10 by bilbobaggins

sports science you can not beat pies and chips from the wilbutts chippy and a kick about in denehurst park after that its just a case of kick our opponents and hang on like they do to us when most teams come up here .they run us down early and try to demorolise us we should take a leaf out of there books and play round them for the first 20 mins the go for broke

To be fair, how would you know?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

Own worst enemy?? on 19:46 - Sep 10 with 4222 viewsdingdangblue

Own worst enemy?? on 19:34 - Sep 10 by bilbobaggins

Thats a great point!........apart from the fact 5 teams have been to Spotland already and not one of them has done that?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Own worst enemy?? on 19:46 - Sep 10 with 4217 viewsbilbobaggins

Own worst enemy?? on 19:40 - Sep 10 by TVOS1907

To be fair, how would you know?

easy ive been the chippy loads of times and its good food for those winter nights coming up
Own worst enemy?? on 19:50 - Sep 10 with 4211 viewsTVOS1907

Own worst enemy?? on 19:46 - Sep 10 by bilbobaggins

easy ive been the chippy loads of times and its good food for those winter nights coming up

Says it all.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Own worst enemy?? on 20:41 - Sep 10 with 4169 viewsboromat

I'm no nutritionist but if the players were on strict nutritional diets would you expect them to be constantly tweeting about Dominos, Carvery Dinners, Nandos..... (thats within the last 24 hours)

Just an observation.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Own worst enemy?? on 20:44 - Sep 10 with 4161 viewsSalwaDale

Own worst enemy?? on 20:41 - Sep 10 by boromat

I'm no nutritionist but if the players were on strict nutritional diets would you expect them to be constantly tweeting about Dominos, Carvery Dinners, Nandos..... (thats within the last 24 hours)

Just an observation.

On that, do you follow ex-players, possibly those we had when Hill was in charge?

Scott Wiseman seemed obsessed with Nandos, as does one of the best rugby players in the world, Sam Tomkins.

Far too easy for us to criticise.

TBBT

Own worst enemy?? on 20:45 - Sep 10 with 4155 viewsRalphs12

Own worst enemy?? on 20:41 - Sep 10 by boromat

Just an observation.

I think quite alot of players have nandos these days, don't think chicken is the worst thing they could be eating.

Although, this is another problem with twitter. Had we been winning this subject wouldn't have ever been brought up (not having a pop at you boromat) but because we haven't been doing great of late, every little thing the players tweet about will be picked up.
Own worst enemy?? on 20:48 - Sep 10 with 4144 viewsboromat

Own worst enemy?? on 20:44 - Sep 10 by SalwaDale

On that, do you follow ex-players, possibly those we had when Hill was in charge?

Scott Wiseman seemed obsessed with Nandos, as does one of the best rugby players in the world, Sam Tomkins.

Far too easy for us to criticise.

Yeah like I said just an observation. I just always think if I were a professional footballer I'd treat my body like an temple. Maybe Nandos and Dominos pizzas are part of the diets ;-).

Own worst enemy?? on 20:53 - Sep 10 with 4134 viewsRalphs12

Own worst enemy?? on 20:48 - Sep 10 by boromat

Yeah like I said just an observation. I just always think if I were a professional footballer I'd treat my body like an temple. Maybe Nandos and Dominos pizzas are part of the diets ;-).

Haha, yeah I know what you mean. But the odd curry here or there would have to sneak through.

Think Rene Howe used to be partial to the odd nandos.... along with akinfenwa who i believe it is a pre game day ritual
Own worst enemy?? on 20:59 - Sep 10 with 4123 viewsboromat

Thinking about it aren't Man City forced to eat pizza and have a glass of wine before each match? No wonder Coleman is into the nutritional part of sports science it's just an excuse to eat rubbish ;-)

Own worst enemy?? on 21:00 - Sep 10 with 4122 viewsfitzochris

Own worst enemy?? on 20:45 - Sep 10 by Ralphs12

I think quite alot of players have nandos these days, don't think chicken is the worst thing they could be eating.

Although, this is another problem with twitter. Had we been winning this subject wouldn't have ever been brought up (not having a pop at you boromat) but because we haven't been doing great of late, every little thing the players tweet about will be picked up.

To be honest, I follow footballers on Twitter to get the odd bit of insight into what's going on at our club and various others. In the main, I reckon 95% of their tweets are uninformative, usually concerning corny proverbs or Jeremy Kyle.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Own worst enemy?? on 09:44 - Sep 11 with 4035 viewswimborne_dale

It begs the question : How come JC did such wonders for Stanley compared with his record at Dale?

As for Macca's point " My opinion on these things are that you may get an extra 1-5% out of a player but its really an elite player type of thing, much like an F1 team trying to shave that extra tenth of a second off. "

Yes but it that 1 - 5% that makes the difference. No sportsman will achieve a 30% improvement overnight but he may make a 1% improvement and with enough determination, be able to repeat the process 30 times. And even a 1% improvement in its own right is worth doing. If Kelly Holes had run 1% slower would we rememebr her name? I think the same principle holds in League 2.

Edgar Allan's Crow

Own worst enemy?? on 10:12 - Sep 11 with 4016 viewsfitzochris

Own worst enemy?? on 09:44 - Sep 11 by wimborne_dale

It begs the question : How come JC did such wonders for Stanley compared with his record at Dale?

As for Macca's point " My opinion on these things are that you may get an extra 1-5% out of a player but its really an elite player type of thing, much like an F1 team trying to shave that extra tenth of a second off. "

Yes but it that 1 - 5% that makes the difference. No sportsman will achieve a 30% improvement overnight but he may make a 1% improvement and with enough determination, be able to repeat the process 30 times. And even a 1% improvement in its own right is worth doing. If Kelly Holes had run 1% slower would we rememebr her name? I think the same principle holds in League 2.

"If Kelly Holes had run 1% slower would we rememebr her name?"

You obviously don't!

Own worst enemy?? on 10:44 - Sep 11 with 3980 viewsnordenblue

Own worst enemy?? on 20:59 - Sep 10 by boromat

Thinking about it aren't Man City forced to eat pizza and have a glass of wine before each match? No wonder Coleman is into the nutritional part of sports science it's just an excuse to eat rubbish ;-)

Dale used to have pizza delivered to the dressing rooms straight after a game not so long back during the Parkin era,there's far worse things to eat. A friend who used to enter body building comps etc once said if you train hard enough you can eat what the hell you like!! For me people look far too deep into the sports science side of the game and can over complicate a very simple game, as long as the players are as fit as possible i couldn't give a monkeys about training styles etc and how they maintain their fitness,its not relevant.The simple fact is if we where top of the league now nobody would even bat an eyelid about JCs methods,its worked for him all his career so why would he alter it now
Own worst enemy?? on 11:15 - Sep 11 with 3947 viewsfitzochris

Own worst enemy?? on 10:44 - Sep 11 by nordenblue

Dale used to have pizza delivered to the dressing rooms straight after a game not so long back during the Parkin era,there's far worse things to eat. A friend who used to enter body building comps etc once said if you train hard enough you can eat what the hell you like!! For me people look far too deep into the sports science side of the game and can over complicate a very simple game, as long as the players are as fit as possible i couldn't give a monkeys about training styles etc and how they maintain their fitness,its not relevant.The simple fact is if we where top of the league now nobody would even bat an eyelid about JCs methods,its worked for him all his career so why would he alter it now

It's a difficult one. I agree with the concept of what you say there - if the players are fit enough, it doesn't matter how they get there.

On the flipside, I look at something like Milan's 'sports lab' and the statistically proven reduction on injuries it has had on their recent sides etc, etc, and can't help but be swayed by the science behind it all.

However, other than a domestic title win a couple of seasons back, Milan have hardly been tearing it up on the trophies front in recent years, have they?

I'm sure that if we were winning, as you say, the training issue wouldn't have been mentioned. It just sticks with me as I remember it being a bit of a problem with certain individuals last season. Having said that, they were hardly responding to Eyre's methods in a positive way...

It's all about the personnel and formation for me. If we get that right, we should be far enough ahead to negate tiring legs later on... or so the theory goes!

Own worst enemy?? on 11:16 - Sep 11 with 3946 views49thseason

Own worst enemy?? on 10:44 - Sep 11 by nordenblue

Be in no doubt, League two players are bigger, faster, stronger and far better prepared now than they were ten, five, even two years ago. If Rochdale are failing to match our competition in all areas of the game, then we will inevitably fall behind them. Professional athletes now need (and probably expect) a level of preparation that goes far beyond anything John Coleman experienced in his non-league playing days. If he has been unable to sign a sports scientist for financial reasons (or worse didn't want one) then I think he has made a major budgeting error which will show itself in more injuries and lacklustre performances especially during the weeks when we play 3 games in 7 days.

This is no longer a league which allows you to survive by doing things in a half-arsed way it requires a laser-like attention to every detail no matter how small.
Own worst enemy?? on 11:45 - Sep 11 with 3923 viewssweetcorn

In reply to Maccawozzagod, I do put some faith in sports science, its hard not to, when our most successful spell as a club, came under a manager who believed heavily in the sports science part of things.

However boro, i dont think you can really comment on what a player eats, they are allowed to have a treat, they are human beings, not machines. Wayne rooney is one of the best players in the premier league and i'm almost certain he will eat his fair share of burgers, pies and kebabs.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Own worst enemy?? on 13:17 - Sep 11 with 3843 viewsdalenumber2

Own worst enemy?? on 11:45 - Sep 11 by sweetcorn

In reply to Maccawozzagod, I do put some faith in sports science, its hard not to, when our most successful spell as a club, came under a manager who believed heavily in the sports science part of things.

However boro, i dont think you can really comment on what a player eats, they are allowed to have a treat, they are human beings, not machines. Wayne rooney is one of the best players in the premier league and i'm almost certain he will eat his fair share of burgers, pies and kebabs.

... and smoke a few ciggies, surely that must be worse?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024