Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com 17:58 - Feb 25 with 11807 viewsqprcanadabc

just started UK foods to Canadians online, and think the website looks goods and runs well, but need a larger group of people to give me some feedback..if you guys could visit ukfoodscanada.com and let me know what you think of it and what improvements need making I would really appreciate it....cheers

Mark
need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 18:38 - Feb 25 with 10813 viewsFeldy

Looks absolutely fine, If your business increases it may be worth looking at a freight forwarder (ie me) to ship your goods and get them cleared and distributed in Canada.
need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 18:52 - Feb 25 with 10802 viewsqprcanadabc

need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 18:38 - Feb 25 by Feldy

Looks absolutely fine, If your business increases it may be worth looking at a freight forwarder (ie me) to ship your goods and get them cleared and distributed in Canada.

I expect to need someone direct in the UK starting during the late summer, currently the bricks and mortar store makes about 50k a year in UK sales, but we are aiming to push it to double this year....we should chat to see where it leads around May...my email is qprcanada@hotmail.com

thanks for your feedback on the website, I do appreciate it :)

Cheers
Mark
need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 19:05 - Feb 25 with 10792 viewsqprwpg

It looks like you've put in a lot of work into it and I like it. I hope I don't sound like and @ss and I just wanted to give some friendly feedback.

So here's my 2 cents worth: I'm not a huge fan of the 'enter' our site feature on ANY site. I typed in the address/clicked on the link, just get me to the content. You have the email address as sales@ukfoods.com, which the domain is ukfoodscanada.com, is that correct - or a typo? Usually the email has the same domain, just asking. I'd emphasize the 'FREE DELIVERY' bit, either bold it or put it on a separate line. IMO it should stand out, people love free delivery. I do. :) Same with the physical address, separate it from the rest of the text, make it stand out if you want people to see/visit the store (same on Shipping Info and Contact Us page, which has the address twice - nice touch with the photo a personal touch). I'd make the borders around product a little thinner, it detracts from the actual product (nit picking here, I know). For the contest, which sounds great actually, I'd recommend using @ukfoodscanada.com/@ukfoods.com email address instead of QPRCANADA@HOTMAIL.COM, also the contest rules have sections, I'd recommend separating them so it's easier to read. But maybe it's my browser? Test it on IE/FF/Chrome to see it looks consistent.

I liked how the flag image was done, the history/background of the store, how chocolate is the first item on the menu (btw, they don't have white choc chunky kit kat in Canada? It's been ages since I've been home, so not up to date with the offerings anymore. If I ever go back, I know where to look for it!).

EDIT: re-reading it, it's a kind of a ramble, hope you can make sense of it :)
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Twitter: @qprwpg

need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 19:41 - Feb 25 with 10765 viewsqprcanadabc

need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 19:05 - Feb 25 by qprwpg

It looks like you've put in a lot of work into it and I like it. I hope I don't sound like and @ss and I just wanted to give some friendly feedback.

So here's my 2 cents worth: I'm not a huge fan of the 'enter' our site feature on ANY site. I typed in the address/clicked on the link, just get me to the content. You have the email address as sales@ukfoods.com, which the domain is ukfoodscanada.com, is that correct - or a typo? Usually the email has the same domain, just asking. I'd emphasize the 'FREE DELIVERY' bit, either bold it or put it on a separate line. IMO it should stand out, people love free delivery. I do. :) Same with the physical address, separate it from the rest of the text, make it stand out if you want people to see/visit the store (same on Shipping Info and Contact Us page, which has the address twice - nice touch with the photo a personal touch). I'd make the borders around product a little thinner, it detracts from the actual product (nit picking here, I know). For the contest, which sounds great actually, I'd recommend using @ukfoodscanada.com/@ukfoods.com email address instead of QPRCANADA@HOTMAIL.COM, also the contest rules have sections, I'd recommend separating them so it's easier to read. But maybe it's my browser? Test it on IE/FF/Chrome to see it looks consistent.

I liked how the flag image was done, the history/background of the store, how chocolate is the first item on the menu (btw, they don't have white choc chunky kit kat in Canada? It's been ages since I've been home, so not up to date with the offerings anymore. If I ever go back, I know where to look for it!).

EDIT: re-reading it, it's a kind of a ramble, hope you can make sense of it :)

you didn't ramble, your suggestions are exactly what I am looking for...I am trying to adjust that frontpage but the software I have that created the sight suggested I do it that way - I will try to sort it so it goes straight to the main page...the other adjustment re free delivery I am changing right now

anything else you see, and be as critical as you can, Iet me know - I sincerely appreciate your time

Mark
need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 19:51 - Feb 25 with 10750 viewsTheBlob

Nooooooooooooooo.......not Vesta curry .What is this,the sixties?
Absolutely essential to stock "British" curry products of world renown....Patak's pastes,Sharwoods products,pickles,chutneys......
I'm salivating already

Poll: So how was the season for you?

need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 19:53 - Feb 25 with 10746 viewsGloucs_R

I'm in sales and marketing and help my customers design their websites to incorporate our products.

My view;

Front pages - Looks amateur, sorry!, the front page should sell the business.
Square the flags off at the top, not in a 4 square formation
Bigger header using a more professional font.
Whats the slogan? You should have something like "All of your favourite British foods"
Work on the tabs on the left, none of the tabs should go onto a 2nd line. They should all be the same size.
Have an "about us" page, people are cool if you haven't got the best website in the world as long as you tell them who you are and why you are doing it. Relate to your customer.
Make your "contact us" page more important, people want to know they can reach you.....buying online is a trust thing
I like the tabs but try to keep your images the same size. Some product have big images that others, you need them all the same.

Good luck to you

Poll: Are we staying up?

need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 19:57 - Feb 25 with 10739 viewsqprcanadabc

need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 19:51 - Feb 25 by TheBlob

Nooooooooooooooo.......not Vesta curry .What is this,the sixties?
Absolutely essential to stock "British" curry products of world renown....Patak's pastes,Sharwoods products,pickles,chutneys......
I'm salivating already

I am trying to get meat products sorted, but need some clearance from Canada Foods Inspection....with regard to Sharwoods, I decided to bring in Loyd Grosman's stuff as local supermarkets have Sharwoods, and we wanted to have unique items...looking for suggestions for chutney's and pickles (include brand)...all the suggestions are welcome so keep them coming, as I don't know what I am missing :)
need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 20:04 - Feb 25 with 10731 viewsJamie

As said, the 'enter' page should go ideally. Also as said, I would move the address from the main page, perhaps to a footer.
Login to get fewer ads

need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 20:04 - Feb 25 with 10730 viewsTheBlob

need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 19:57 - Feb 25 by qprcanadabc

I am trying to get meat products sorted, but need some clearance from Canada Foods Inspection....with regard to Sharwoods, I decided to bring in Loyd Grosman's stuff as local supermarkets have Sharwoods, and we wanted to have unique items...looking for suggestions for chutney's and pickles (include brand)...all the suggestions are welcome so keep them coming, as I don't know what I am missing :)

Don't touch Lloyd Grossman products with a bargepole.It's as much like curry as pond scum.
Go for Patak's.Even the curry restaurants in Brick Lane use the brand.Ex pat brits are very discerning about curry.
No joking,do yourself a favour.....

http://www.pataks.co.uk/

Poll: So how was the season for you?

need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 20:11 - Feb 25 with 10713 viewsqprcanadabc

need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 19:53 - Feb 25 by Gloucs_R

I'm in sales and marketing and help my customers design their websites to incorporate our products.

My view;

Front pages - Looks amateur, sorry!, the front page should sell the business.
Square the flags off at the top, not in a 4 square formation
Bigger header using a more professional font.
Whats the slogan? You should have something like "All of your favourite British foods"
Work on the tabs on the left, none of the tabs should go onto a 2nd line. They should all be the same size.
Have an "about us" page, people are cool if you haven't got the best website in the world as long as you tell them who you are and why you are doing it. Relate to your customer.
Make your "contact us" page more important, people want to know they can reach you.....buying online is a trust thing
I like the tabs but try to keep your images the same size. Some product have big images that others, you need them all the same.

Good luck to you

Thanks a lot for all of that, I really appreciate it and will work on the changes this afternoon...and can see what you are saying and the benefit of your suggestions. This is the first website that I have ever created and your ideas mean a lot - cheers :)...keep the criticism coming as it is the only way that I will learn and improve the site!

Mark

need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 20:15 - Feb 25 with 10708 viewsqprcanadabc

need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 20:04 - Feb 25 by TheBlob

Don't touch Lloyd Grossman products with a bargepole.It's as much like curry as pond scum.
Go for Patak's.Even the curry restaurants in Brick Lane use the brand.Ex pat brits are very discerning about curry.
No joking,do yourself a favour.....

http://www.pataks.co.uk/

thanks for suggestion - I am trying to see if I can order directly from Pataks USA (there is no Canada there) as their range looks very interesting!

cheers for the idea!

Mark
need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 20:28 - Feb 25 with 10697 viewsTacticalR

Perhaps related to the topmost 'enter'/home page issue mentioned above...on the topmost 'enter'/home page the 'Home' button/tab doesn't do anything (it looks like it should do something).

It seems like you have two home pages:
www.ukfoodscanada.com/ (topmost 'enter'/home)
www.ukfoodscanada.com/store/

If you do decide to get rid of the topmost home page, perhaps do something to make the remaining home page into a standard home page with the minimum of information (less is more as Google have shown).

On the www.ukfoodscanada.com/store/ page, is there some reason why CANADA is in red but UK is in red and white?

Glad to see you've got Rich Tea biscuits. I was working with a French guy last week, and he was mightily impressed with Rich Tea biscuits.

Air hostess clique

need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 20:35 - Feb 25 with 10682 viewsqprcanadabc

need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 20:28 - Feb 25 by TacticalR

Perhaps related to the topmost 'enter'/home page issue mentioned above...on the topmost 'enter'/home page the 'Home' button/tab doesn't do anything (it looks like it should do something).

It seems like you have two home pages:
www.ukfoodscanada.com/ (topmost 'enter'/home)
www.ukfoodscanada.com/store/

If you do decide to get rid of the topmost home page, perhaps do something to make the remaining home page into a standard home page with the minimum of information (less is more as Google have shown).

On the www.ukfoodscanada.com/store/ page, is there some reason why CANADA is in red but UK is in red and white?

Glad to see you've got Rich Tea biscuits. I was working with a French guy last week, and he was mightily impressed with Rich Tea biscuits.

thanks for your post...with the incredible feedback that I have received here, I agree that the banner UKfoodsCanada needs to look more professional and I hope to have something more pro-like in the next day or so..the red and white etc I did and now see what you guys are seeing (and will sort it)...the Rich Tea biscuits are doing really well...biggest problem in the shop is keeping me and brother (Chelsea fan) from nibbling the product - I call it quality-control...fyi elder brother is an Arsenal fan and old man is Spurs :) - close family!
need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 20:48 - Feb 25 with 10666 viewsqprwpg

need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 20:35 - Feb 25 by qprcanadabc

thanks for your post...with the incredible feedback that I have received here, I agree that the banner UKfoodsCanada needs to look more professional and I hope to have something more pro-like in the next day or so..the red and white etc I did and now see what you guys are seeing (and will sort it)...the Rich Tea biscuits are doing really well...biggest problem in the shop is keeping me and brother (Chelsea fan) from nibbling the product - I call it quality-control...fyi elder brother is an Arsenal fan and old man is Spurs :) - close family!

In that case change all the email addresses to qpr@ukfoodscanada.com

EDIT: BTW, you have PM

Twitter: @qprwpg

need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 21:17 - Feb 25 with 10634 viewsTacticalR

need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 20:35 - Feb 25 by qprcanadabc

OK, we can see who got the good genes.

A good point about your site is that it's not too crowded with information.

A great book about web usability is Steve Krug's 'Don’t Make Me Think'. This chapter is free:
http://sensible.com/chapter.html

Air hostess clique

need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 21:45 - Feb 25 with 10613 viewstoemasher

More cheese
need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 22:31 - Feb 25 with 10593 viewshopphoops

Impressive range of pork scratchings!

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 02:00 - Feb 26 with 10568 viewsqprcanadabc

need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 21:45 - Feb 25 by toemasher

More cheese

i would love to carry cheese from the UK but Canada Foods Inspection doesn't allow it in, something to do with the level of fat content in the cheese....
need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 02:01 - Feb 26 with 10567 viewsqprcanadabc

need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 22:31 - Feb 25 by hopphoops

Impressive range of pork scratchings!

local supermarkets don't carry anything like them here and their popularity caught me off guard....
need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 13:25 - Feb 26 with 10509 viewsbaz_qpr

Firstly let me qualify myself I'm a digital professional I work for a FTSE 100 company, I've been in the industry for 15 years I've led builds on about 10 or so ecommerce projects.

Things that are absolutely key to your success:

1. Search Engine Optimisation - Niche markets do well on the internet, you need to be coming up high in the listings for each of your products. Your entrance page will knock you low down, get rid
2. On your home page you need to feature offers and most popular products, your software should do this for you.
3. You need to be able to offer discounts for bulk or big spends
4. Shipping its absolutely key and so is tracking
5. Your brand is important and the graphics do not look professional, people in ecommerce need to trust you, use well made templates and if necessary pay someone a few bucks to do it for you.
6. Search - Its really important for ecommerce, results should be good, in a grid format and cope with misspellings etc
7. Ratings and reviews, really important to have customer feedback on the products and you on the site.

My Advice to you would be to start again. - Try these guys http://merchanttribe.com/ do the demo see how you get on with it. I've used it in its previous guise as BV Commerce and its a very good piece of software that used to cost 1000's and is now free or cheap on a hosted model There are decent templates and layouts and it has all the features you will need to manage and market an online / shop for $99 per month. including stock management and a shed load of marketing tools.

Good luck with it all
need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 13:50 - Feb 26 with 10497 viewsFulhamjim

need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 13:25 - Feb 26 by baz_qpr

Firstly let me qualify myself I'm a digital professional I work for a FTSE 100 company, I've been in the industry for 15 years I've led builds on about 10 or so ecommerce projects.

1. Search Engine Optimisation - Niche markets do well on the internet, you need to be coming up high in the listings for each of your products. Your entrance page will knock you low down, get rid
2. On your home page you need to feature offers and most popular products, your software should do this for you.
5. Your brand is important and the graphics do not look professional, people in ecommerce need to trust you, use well made templates and if necessary pay someone a few bucks to do it for you.
6. Search - Its really important for ecommerce, results should be good, in a grid format and cope with misspellings etc
7. Ratings and reviews, really important to have customer feedback on the products and you on the site.

My Advice to you would be to start again. - Try these guys http://merchanttribe.com/ do the demo see how you get on with it. I've used it in its previous guise as BV Commerce and its a very good piece of software that used to cost 1000's and is now free or cheap on a hosted model There are decent templates and layouts and it has all the features you will need to manage and market an online / shop for $99 per month. including stock management and a shed load of marketing tools.

Good luck with it all

"Oat's" doesn't need an apostrophe.

Bad grammar puts people off using a website, minor as it is.

You're very welcome.

Nothing like a bit of Am6iti0n

need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 15:19 - Feb 26 with 10475 viewsqprcanadabc

need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 13:50 - Feb 26 by Fulhamjim

"Oat's" doesn't need an apostrophe.

Bad grammar puts people off using a website, minor as it is.

You're very welcome.

you're right on the spelling and that will be changed..the suggestions that I have received, including yours, are all being printed up so I can make all the many necessary adjustments..it is a great learning experience :)
need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 16:08 - Feb 26 with 10455 viewsTonto

similar to the above comment - its Marks & Spencer not Mark's

It was Michael Marks and Thomas Spenscer who set it up....

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 16:48 - Feb 26 with 10436 viewsqprcanadabc

need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 16:08 - Feb 26 by Tonto

similar to the above comment - its Marks & Spencer not Mark's

It was Michael Marks and Thomas Spenscer who set it up....

didn't know that..the changes will be made momentarily...thanks for the heads up

I have been blown away with the help from all my fellow R'sssssssss

cheers and cheers again.....

Mark
need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 17:26 - Feb 26 with 10405 viewsTW_R

need opinions on my newly created website - ukfoodscanada.com on 13:25 - Feb 26 by baz_qpr

Good luck with it all

I don't want to be too harsh but I'd go along with this. Unfortunately the site looks like something built in MS FrontPage circa 1995. Looks very dated.

If you're going to stick with this a couple of things I noticed are:-

- Check the size of your images. The one at the top of the chocolate page took quite a while to render

- The buttons on the left need to be consistent whatever page you're on. They all appear in different places depending on where you are. Very hard to navigate quickly.

- The banner at the top looks massive, probably should be smaller.

- I would just put a Union Flag in the banner and get rid of the 4 on the home page.

- As already said, the "click to enter" page is the most annoying page in internet history. It adds no value. I've already clicked to enter, why would I want to do it again.

- Use the 3 click rule. If a customer can't get to where they want within 3 clicks, the chances are they're going to get bored and go somewhere else.

- Check out similar-type sites. I did a search on "specialist food" and the first site it came up with is this - http://www.finefoodspecialist.co.uk/ - thought it looked quite nice. Don't be afraid to copy other ideas.

Sorry to sound so negative, but more retail business is being done online everyday. It's best to get it right now, as it's very hard to win customers later.

Good luck.

Edit - just a couple of other things I noticed

- your basket and billing pages look really poor. Again, look at how other people do it.

- Set yourself up with a paypal account and allow that as a payment method. People are very reluctant to add credit card details to smaller or not used before sites.

- Add some security information to your payment page. As it is at the moment, I wouldn't go anywhere near it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024