Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The renaming of the stadium next Summer? 21:28 - Aug 14 with 3975 viewsLohengrin

I'm trying to float the idea of renaming the stadium next Summer; rededicating it would probably be a better description, just for the season, to commemorate the centenary of the Battle of Mametz Wood.

I'm sure that most of you already know this, but for those who don't, July 10th 2016 will be one hundred years to the day since the 38th (Welsh) Division went on the offensive at The Battle of The Somme. In the van were the 14th Bn Welsh Regiment - The Swansea Pals - comprised of young boys from Swansea, Neath and Aberavon. Of the 676 boys engaged in the assault over 400 were to become casualties by nightfall.

Consider the enormity of that. Barely a family in western Glamorgan remained untouched by the events of July 10th. We'd have all had relatives there on The Somme. During the inter-war years the anniversary was marked annually in Swansea Bay as Mametz Memorial Day, now as the centenary rolls around we have the opportunity to repay a debt of honour in full.

Any thoughts?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 21:31 - Aug 14 with 3956 viewsJackfath

I visited the area last year and was in awe of the scale of the casualties there. A trip there should be compulsory for every child in Wales around the age of 15. A sobering experience to really make you think about your own life. If one hasn't been I would strongly suggest a visit.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 21:36 - Aug 14 with 3936 viewsLohengrin

The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 21:31 - Aug 14 by Jackfath

I visited the area last year and was in awe of the scale of the casualties there. A trip there should be compulsory for every child in Wales around the age of 15. A sobering experience to really make you think about your own life. If one hasn't been I would strongly suggest a visit.

It's a lesson in humility.

The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 21:37 - Aug 14 with 3927 viewsOldjack

Whilst your idea is very touching ,money talks and the highest bidder gets their name in lights ,that's just the way it is unfortunately

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 21:47 - Aug 14 with 3866 viewsLohengrin

The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 21:37 - Aug 14 by Oldjack

Whilst your idea is very touching ,money talks and the highest bidder gets their name in lights ,that's just the way it is unfortunately

No problem. Just for 2016 it could be the Liberty Mametz Stadium.

It's not often a company gets the chance to associate itself with something truly momentous. I'd like to think it would be something the directors of any company would take great pride in?

The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 21:52 - Aug 14 with 3844 viewsWitneyjack

Excellent idea. I'm not convinced those at the club would come on board. I know we can rely on the Trust after the excellent work to install the memorial at the ground last November!
I'm in.
The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 22:07 - Aug 14 with 3788 viewsOldjack

The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 21:47 - Aug 14 by Lohengrin

It's not often a company gets the chance to associate itself with something truly momentous. I'd like to think it would be something the directors of any company would take great pride in?

Follow it through and start writing to the appropriate people is the way forward asap

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 22:14 - Aug 14 with 3771 viewsHark_Now_Hear

This should happen. A great idea.
The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 22:24 - Aug 14 with 3709 viewsDarran

Do it.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Login to get fewer ads

The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 22:33 - Aug 14 with 3685 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Fantastic idea ...fair play

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 22:39 - Aug 14 with 3660 viewsjackforever

The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 21:31 - Aug 14 by Jackfath

Unfortunately these days schools think its more appropriate to go to new York and florida on trips.
The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 22:52 - Aug 14 with 3621 viewsjasper_T

Is it even going to be the liberty much longer? The current naming deal is expiring any minute now.
The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 23:10 - Aug 14 with 3582 viewsScoobyWho

You sir get my vote, superb idea 👍

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 01:23 - Aug 15 with 3459 viewsDull1Thomas

No, just no.

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins step down?

The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 02:31 - Aug 15 with 3432 viewsBanosswan

The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 01:23 - Aug 15 by Dull1Thomas

No, just no.

I can understand (ish) not agreeing with this, bit that's a VERY solid stance that I feel you need to expand on.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 07:34 - Aug 15 with 3338 viewslifelong

What an excellent idea, just reading this article is enough to make you weep, it should make us feel how lucky we are.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mametz_Wood_Memorial
The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 08:52 - Aug 15 with 3273 viewsraynor94

Brilliant idea, pity look at me felt the need to make a negative post

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 09:14 - Aug 15 with 3243 viewsWhiterockin

The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 22:52 - Aug 14 by jasper_T

Is it even going to be the liberty much longer? The current naming deal is expiring any minute now.

I believe that the 10 year deal is up. The value of a 10 year deal is now worth conservatively £5M-£10M. This could pay a good wedge off the stadium purchase price. Possibly why no deal has been done at the moment.
The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 09:30 - Aug 15 with 3219 viewsbermudajack

The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 09:14 - Aug 15 by Whiterockin

I believe that the 10 year deal is up. The value of a 10 year deal is now worth conservatively £5M-£10M. This could pay a good wedge off the stadium purchase price. Possibly why no deal has been done at the moment.

The Mametz memorial stadium for 1 year would be an inspirational idea, one which continually separates us from the rest...

My only fear would be... Would this be a one off? Or would there be a stream of celebrated anniversaries one with as good reason as the next?

Maybe a permenant memorial as a naming of a stand I.e. "the Mametz memorial stand" with an epilogue /plaque explaining the relevance?

Lovely idea though, something the trust could get their teeth into👍

Poll: Priority for new manager?

The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 09:36 - Aug 15 with 3208 viewsGowerjack

Its a good idea I just fear the God of Mammon will have the final say.

What would be the fallback plan?

What about naming the roadbridge near the ground?

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 10:00 - Aug 15 with 3159 viewsWhiterockin

The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 09:30 - Aug 15 by bermudajack

The Mametz memorial stadium for 1 year would be an inspirational idea, one which continually separates us from the rest...

My only fear would be... Would this be a one off? Or would there be a stream of celebrated anniversaries one with as good reason as the next?

Maybe a permenant memorial as a naming of a stand I.e. "the Mametz memorial stand" with an epilogue /plaque explaining the relevance?

Lovely idea though, something the trust could get their teeth into👍

I don't disagree with the original post. I was just adding a comment and opinion to a different post on the thread.
The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 16:05 - Aug 17 with 2915 viewsLohengrin

The renaming of the stadium next Summer? on 09:36 - Aug 15 by Gowerjack

Its a good idea I just fear the God of Mammon will have the final say.

What would be the fallback plan?

What about naming the roadbridge near the ground?

Or the footbridge across the Tawe from the retail park to the ground as a permanent tribute? Excellent, Gower. I've got a few days off coming up and I'm going to start knocking doors at the club and council looking into possibilities and permissions.

That would be as well as the ground. I'm absolutely convinced that if the club were in a position to make the grand gesture for 2016 it would find an echo of admiration throughout Europe.

July 10th is the actual anniversary, Gower. How to mark it in style? Directly opposite the 14th Bn Welsh Regiment at Mametz Wood was the Prussian Lehr Regiment; forming part of their famous Guards Corps, this was the garrison battalion of Potsdam. Could we not have a ceremony at The Liberty where we play Potsdam's club, SV Babelsberg? Could the cities of Swansea and Potsdam not have a twinning ceremony to mark the centenary. A flagship act of reconciliation.

I need to sit around a table with the people who are in a position to make this happen, fancy coming?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024