Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If you could only listen to one group or artist.... 01:29 - Oct 18 with 10086 viewsFredManRave

I saw this question raised recently (apologies if it's already been done on here) and I think it's certainly one of the toughest music questions around. Favourite band, song and album questions are often asked and we've all got our own answers pretty much ready, but what about if you could only ever listen to one group or artist from now on, who would it be and why?
There's alot to take into account as the final answer may not be your favourite band or be the group of your favourite album. IMO, you need to take into account longevity and consistency because you want to listen to as many quality songs as possible and also bear in mind which band/songs evoke the best memories.
I am no music oficianado by any stretch of the imagination, I've enjoyed plenty of everything over the years and my final choice probably reflects the fact I've been out of the country for over a decade and as such I'm in a musical time warp but my final choice would have to be Queen. Why? For me 15 years of great music, varying in sound and style over that period with many, many classics many of which evoke good memories and of good times. Lots of quality live material available as well and just what I would call "Good Mood" music which would be another reason for choosing them if I could only ever listen to one group.

So if you could only listen to one group or artist from now on who would it be and why?
[Post edited 18 Oct 2013 1:32]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 02:13 - Oct 18 with 4612 viewsKendo_Nagasaki

I can't take it seriously after you've said "15 years of great music" about Queen.
Ruined it for me sorry

Psycho killer Qu'est-ce que c'est?

If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 02:22 - Oct 18 with 4610 viewsFredManRave

If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 02:13 - Oct 18 by Kendo_Nagasaki

I can't take it seriously after you've said "15 years of great music" about Queen.
Ruined it for me sorry

I've just checked their discography and I stand corrected, it should be only 10 years of consistently good music over their first 10 albums and obviously there are personal reasons as well for the choice as I mentioned in the initial post. No right or wrong answers, I just thought it would be interesting to see the choices and the reasons for them.

So come on, don't be shy Kendo, I'm interested to hear yours now...
[Post edited 18 Oct 2013 2:23]

I've got the Power.

If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 02:36 - Oct 18 with 4600 viewsSonofNorfolt

Queen were a Zeppelin copy band until they found their own niche with 'A day at the races'.
Their mantra of 'No synthesisers used' suddenly disappeared about 1980 when they became a pop band who released shiit like 'I want to break free.'

Frankly, any one band for eternity is boring.
If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 02:45 - Oct 18 with 4593 viewsKendo_Nagasaki

When I was younger it would've been Floyd but now i'm older I rarely play or hear them , but I still love the mystery surrounding them which has faded as well. But as of now I would have to say Sigur Ros with their modern classical beauty.

Psycho killer Qu'est-ce que c'est?

If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 03:32 - Oct 18 with 4586 viewsFredManRave

If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 02:45 - Oct 18 by Kendo_Nagasaki

When I was younger it would've been Floyd but now i'm older I rarely play or hear them , but I still love the mystery surrounding them which has faded as well. But as of now I would have to say Sigur Ros with their modern classical beauty.

I paused Radio Ga Ga for a while so I could listen to some Sigur Rós and let's just say that, assuming you were being serious, "chacun à son goût".

I've got the Power.

If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 05:34 - Oct 18 with 4575 viewsisawqpratwcity

Never really liked Queen.

I could go for almost any from a list of:

Beatles
Stones
Steely Dan
Frank Zappa
David Bowie
Elvis Costello

Enough ideas and variation from any of those acts to keep me interested for a while.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 08:04 - Oct 18 with 4532 viewsToast_R

If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 02:36 - Oct 18 by SonofNorfolt

Queen were a Zeppelin copy band until they found their own niche with 'A day at the races'.
Their mantra of 'No synthesisers used' suddenly disappeared about 1980 when they became a pop band who released shiit like 'I want to break free.'

Frankly, any one band for eternity is boring.

On what planet were Queen ever a Led Zeppelin copy band?
Have you ever listened to anything they did outside the Greatest Hits album (which still does not justify such a ridiculous comment"

Zeppelin played heavy Blues, their first three albums are all full of it interlaced with Jimmy Page's over complicated guitar solos and Robert Plant's screeching.

Don't get me wrong I really like Led Zeppelin too but they never sounded nor will they ever sound anything like Queen.

And as for Synthesizers, it was the 80's everyone was using them and yes even Led Zeppelin if you've listened to In Through The Outdoor which should have been re-named Out through The Indoor because it was so terrible. And besides I want to Break Free was a great song.

The OP is right, Queen for me too.
If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 08:23 - Oct 18 with 4520 viewsBilly_Kershaw

I like Queen, but for me it would be James Brown. This would cover soul, funk, blues, instrumentals and jazz and amongst the sheer volume of his work, there would be enough stuff to listen to so that I could avoid the poor stuff!

Never use one or two words when a couple of thousand will easily do
Poll: REVISED EXPECTATIONS - Where will QPR finish this season?

Login to get fewer ads

If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 09:19 - Oct 18 with 4490 viewsPommyhoop

Music is not for debating ,analysing and marking out of ten.
It is for dancing, making love too and aiding revolutions.
OR
I'm tone deaf and have a sh!te memory..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 09:40 - Oct 18 with 4469 viewsngbqpr

I've never really liked Queen but respect them for precisely the reasons the OP states - genuine variety / diversity in their catalogue.

It's for the same reason that if limited to one artist (a terrifying thought tho it is) I'd probably have to go for one from Bowie, James Brown & the Beatles

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 09:43 - Oct 18 with 4463 viewstoboboly

After thinking it over in a hung over haze for 2 minutes i'm going for the Stone Roses and bugger the longevity!

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 09:49 - Oct 18 with 4458 viewsBluce_Ree

I hate Queen for several reasons. The main ones being that pop shit period they had and, more importantly, Brian May. I play guitar and playing guitar used to be pretty cool until Brian f*cking May stood on top of Buckingham Palace playing God Save The Queen. If that's our version of Jimi Hendrix doing Star Spangled Banner then we are the worst country in the world when it comes to rock and roll.

My answer for this would be someone that's diverse but never rubbish and with a huge back catalogue. I wouldn't be happy about sticking to just one band but I'd probably go with Siouxsie and The Banshees. They aren't my favourite band but they qualify under those terms. I'd have said The Cure a while ago but they've been shit for 20 years now.

Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. Stefan Moore, Stefan Moore running down the wing. He runs like a cheetah, his crosses couldn't be sweeter. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore. Stefan Moore.

If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 09:50 - Oct 18 with 4458 viewsQPRDEL

I could never like Queen, but if i voiced that opinion you would be shouted down.
Liked thier early stuff, but then later every record seemed to a rock anthem.

While we are on the subject Brian May please get your hair cut, its embarrassing, we are not in the eighties any more,and you soon will be.
If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 09:55 - Oct 18 with 4449 viewsbob566

normally I would be caught between the smiths or iron maiden.

but if it was for eternity then I'd probably choose some Bach. If it was for ever I think you could only stay sane with classical music.
If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 10:00 - Oct 18 with 4439 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Indica I think because they do many genres well. Also singing in Finnish I never get bored of the lyrics.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 10:16 - Oct 18 with 4425 viewsisawqpratwcity

If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 10:00 - Oct 18 by Metallica_Hoop

Indica I think because they do many genres well. Also singing in Finnish I never get bored of the lyrics.

Yup. It'd be the Finnish for me, too.

Here's some Iceland...

While we're on the back of a truck...

And while we've got the bagpipes...

Edit: What an idiot, meant to put these on Friday Music!
[Post edited 18 Oct 2013 10:18]

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 10:20 - Oct 18 with 4411 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Easily done

If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 10:39 - Oct 18 with 4387 viewsMrSheen

Finland for me, Sibelius, though he has to get other people to make his recordings.
Just ahead of Wagner.
If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 11:33 - Oct 18 with 4356 viewsTHEBUSH

If only one group or artist, for me the Beatles, because over the years their music changed so much.
If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 11:56 - Oct 18 with 4338 viewsHAYESBOY

If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 08:23 - Oct 18 by Billy_Kershaw

I like Queen, but for me it would be James Brown. This would cover soul, funk, blues, instrumentals and jazz and amongst the sheer volume of his work, there would be enough stuff to listen to so that I could avoid the poor stuff!

This.

Except for liking Queen.

Smells like a trout farm in here

If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 12:12 - Oct 18 with 4324 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I think for Classical I'd pick The Baroque Collection.

Bach, Telleman,Purcell, Corleli and Mozart specifically.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2013 12:13]

If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 12:14 - Oct 18 with 4309 viewsElHoop

The Beatles have so much depth, width and length to their portfolio that it has to be them, but even they would get boring to listen to after not too long.
If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 12:21 - Oct 18 with 4302 viewsMoonshineSteve

Good topic. As stated, would need to go for someone who could provide variety and a long back catalogue. Frank Zappa is a good shout, but I'd probably end up with the Rolling Stones. Rock and roll, blues, psychedelia, southern rock, pop, AOR etc. Don't get tired of listening to Keef, always loved Charlie's drumming.

Also interested in the discussion on Queen. Had never really developed an opinion on them, couple of decent songs, couple I didn't like, specific image etc. Then when I got together with the missus found that they were her absolute favourite band ever so ended up hearing a lot more than I was used to. Found that there was more stuff that I could listen to than I had previously thought. Very surprised to hear some early tapes which were quite Hendrixy (might have been an early version of the band before they were called Queen).

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 12:39 - Oct 18 with 4282 viewstimcocking

The Doors.

Ps Also have to say, i never liked Queen.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2013 12:42]
If you could only listen to one group or artist.... on 13:00 - Oct 18 with 4259 viewsQPR_John

It has to be the Beatles for me. I wonder how many current acts will still have their stuff played and enjoyed in 50 years time.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024