Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread 12:56 - Oct 3 with 13874 viewsAtThePeake

Didn't have time to write a preview I'm afraid.

Tough one tonight! Up the Dale.

Tangled up in blue.

Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 10:17 - Oct 4 with 3192 viewssamueloneils

With only 1 out and out striker left in the squad, and him a very unproven 26 year-old even at this level, it isn`t surprising we can`t take our chances. Why recruit another defender and a genuine left back on loan for our last allowed loan player in Conway, and then not even play him when John is out?

Strange.

If we could return a loan player without upsetting anybody too much, then we must recruit a loan striker. McFermott goes back in January anyway and has never featured.
Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 10:33 - Oct 4 with 3119 viewsjonahwhereru

Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 22:10 - Oct 3 by Rodingdale

Try this:

“We lost a game we might not have if we’d taken chances and defended better.

We haven’t done that. It’s down to me and the players to play better. We will learn from the defeat to improve.

The schedule is taking its toll on our young squad. I need more players and better player and will continually make the case to the board.

This is a proud club, with a history of league football and I want to get us back there”

What would you say James?

Some of that sounds ok, but paragraph one is just a b-llocks aunts and uncles comment.

The comment about the squad size he makes every week. There is no point publicly pressuring the board. Every manager is always asking the board for more resources.
Personally I would like him to sometimes say “where weren’t good enough in certain areas, and didn’t have the answers available to change it”. Also that “although our ground facilities and being ex EFL gives other teams a lift, we must always believe we are scrapping in this league for a reason, and we need to scrap hard every game to justify the fans support”.

As a club we are doing ok this season. The core support has held up really well, and I think the board may have been panicking that it wouldn’t. Credit to the supports for that. The next 3 or 4 games are important, as it would be easy to loose the momentum if we don’t win at least two of them. But I am still enjoying my football more than last season.
UTD
Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 11:14 - Oct 4 with 3026 viewsdalemark

I'd sum last night up as incredibly frustrating. I think the limited numbers in the squad are now actively dictating our style of play... we haven't got the numbers to rotate, which means with the current schedule we are going slow / probing / passing rather than full pelt running at teams to try and preserve energy.

When we signed Jez a Chesterfield fan referred to him as a 'speedboat without a driver'... I think that's a bit harsh, but I really do feel that he struggles with in-game decisions that haven't been practised on the training ground. Plays that have been worked on seem to click with him, but if the ball falls to him from a random deflection he seems to freeze. He also needs to track back and compete more for headers / challenges... his attempt to track back for their first goal last night was disgraceful.

On the right, Oduroh & Jez seems to be missing something as a partnership. If Oduroh brings it forward, Jez doesn't seem to move forward at the same time, so we lose forward momentum and end up stopping or passing sideways. I'd like to see Keohane at RB with Conway at LB on Saturday and give that a try.

Taylor was off it, and he was lucky not to get a second yellow when his head went... is Ferguson
injured or just out of favour? Based on last night he is now our fourth choice CB.

We also need to be a bit smarter and play the ref / conditions more. That ref last night was whistle / card happy, & Solihull took full advantage. I lost count of the number of times we were tripped / pushed / arm across the chest or throat and stayed on our feet, losing the ball and momentum when Solihull were a bit more streetwise.

Hopefully we get a positive result on Saturday, and then get some rest / recovery time with us not having a Tuesday game again until the 24th... the second half on Sat & last night we look knackered, flat and at times bereft of movement and ideas.
Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 11:41 - Oct 4 with 2953 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Is Jim McNulty still registered as a player or are his boots well and truly hung up?

If he is, could he not help out as a sub/defender till John returns for Christmas?

Not ideal at all but on the pitch he might be able to influence HIS players to change shape and adjust performance to suit.
Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 15:20 - Oct 4 with 2615 viewsKingstdale

Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 11:41 - Oct 4 by Yorkshire_Dale

Is Jim McNulty still registered as a player or are his boots well and truly hung up?

If he is, could he not help out as a sub/defender till John returns for Christmas?

Not ideal at all but on the pitch he might be able to influence HIS players to change shape and adjust performance to suit.

Jim stated at the Fans Forum that he is not registered as a player.
Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 16:13 - Oct 4 with 2524 viewsAtThePeake

Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 21:52 - Oct 3 by daleitetilidie

Oh dear. Everyone looked off the pace tonight. Gilmour never got going and we looked dodgy at the back without Georgie. Ebanks looks half the player without Nevett. At fault with their second goal misjudging the bounce. Clueless last 20 mins. Don’t think they’d have scored if they played all night. Squad needs a refresh but unfortunately we’re stuck with the same 12-13. They could do with a rest after Saturdays long trip. Hopefully they’ll be refreshed for the cup but that’s looking like a banana skin the way we’re playing at the mo. Trying to stay positive but with our paper thin squad looks like the playoffs might be out of reach. UTD!

Nevett had come on and was alongside Ebanks when he was at fault for their second goal

Tangled up in blue.

Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 16:40 - Oct 4 with 2471 viewsAtThePeake

As obvious as it was that Ebanks-Landell was at fault for the second goal, Jes was perhaps even worse for the first. Lost a battle for the ball, had zero awareness to stop the little one-two that they played after they took it off him, then showed even less urgency in tracking the full-back who went and set the goal up. The highlights don't show the whole move, but they do show that the full-back, who was neck and neck with Jes after he won the ball from him, 15 yards further forward than him by the time he got the ball in the box to make the assist. If I was one of his team-mates who'd been giving my all for sixty minutes until that point I'd have completely lost my rag with him there. Unacceptable.

Taylor isn't good enough, has never been good enough and will never be good enough. Pains me that we brought him in on a one year deal and somehow he's still here in his third season, despite both of his contract extensions being given to him by a manager who left us well over 12 months ago.

In such a small squad, players like McDermott and Afuye that aren't pulling their weight need to be replaced quickly, not only because there are players that are clearly tiring with the amount of football being played, but also because it means Jim has more options to change things around. From his perspective though, he has to be more willing to use what he does have, because certain players need to be taken out of the team when they aren't performing or aren't putting the required effort in. There's no excuse for Oduroh to start the next game over Conway for example. It doesn't really matter what's happening in training, on a Saturday or Tuesday Oduroh simply hasn't been good enough and you don't win points for training well.

That being said and with the benefit of 20 hours or so hindsight, I again don't think that was as poor a performance as many clearly do on here. We had a fair few chances (East and Hendo in particular should have done better with theirs) and maybe should have had a penalty and I don't remember them doing too much to test Moulden aside from the goals and one free-kick that he pushed over the bar in the first-half. Against a team with that much momentum, and after a difficult run of fixtures on the legs, it was always going to be difficult to get a result and the manner of the goals conceded is frustrating, but for all of the frustration I think if fans look at the game in isolation, then they'll admit that it could easily have been a 0-2 victory for us on another day. Do we need to be more clinical? Yes of course, but that's football sometimes. We've won games where we've failed to create much too.

There are things that need to be improved, of course, but given the small (and it's worth remembering pretty inexperienced, particularly defensively) squad that we have, I'm still relatively happy with where we are at the moment in comparison to my pre-season predictions. It's disappointing to only take one point from the last three games, but it wouldn't massively surprise me if the three teams we've just played finish the season with the most points won this year if you exclude Southend's deduction.

Tangled up in blue.

Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 17:03 - Oct 4 with 2433 viewsfitzochris

Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 16:40 - Oct 4 by AtThePeake

As obvious as it was that Ebanks-Landell was at fault for the second goal, Jes was perhaps even worse for the first. Lost a battle for the ball, had zero awareness to stop the little one-two that they played after they took it off him, then showed even less urgency in tracking the full-back who went and set the goal up. The highlights don't show the whole move, but they do show that the full-back, who was neck and neck with Jes after he won the ball from him, 15 yards further forward than him by the time he got the ball in the box to make the assist. If I was one of his team-mates who'd been giving my all for sixty minutes until that point I'd have completely lost my rag with him there. Unacceptable.

Taylor isn't good enough, has never been good enough and will never be good enough. Pains me that we brought him in on a one year deal and somehow he's still here in his third season, despite both of his contract extensions being given to him by a manager who left us well over 12 months ago.

In such a small squad, players like McDermott and Afuye that aren't pulling their weight need to be replaced quickly, not only because there are players that are clearly tiring with the amount of football being played, but also because it means Jim has more options to change things around. From his perspective though, he has to be more willing to use what he does have, because certain players need to be taken out of the team when they aren't performing or aren't putting the required effort in. There's no excuse for Oduroh to start the next game over Conway for example. It doesn't really matter what's happening in training, on a Saturday or Tuesday Oduroh simply hasn't been good enough and you don't win points for training well.

That being said and with the benefit of 20 hours or so hindsight, I again don't think that was as poor a performance as many clearly do on here. We had a fair few chances (East and Hendo in particular should have done better with theirs) and maybe should have had a penalty and I don't remember them doing too much to test Moulden aside from the goals and one free-kick that he pushed over the bar in the first-half. Against a team with that much momentum, and after a difficult run of fixtures on the legs, it was always going to be difficult to get a result and the manner of the goals conceded is frustrating, but for all of the frustration I think if fans look at the game in isolation, then they'll admit that it could easily have been a 0-2 victory for us on another day. Do we need to be more clinical? Yes of course, but that's football sometimes. We've won games where we've failed to create much too.

There are things that need to be improved, of course, but given the small (and it's worth remembering pretty inexperienced, particularly defensively) squad that we have, I'm still relatively happy with where we are at the moment in comparison to my pre-season predictions. It's disappointing to only take one point from the last three games, but it wouldn't massively surprise me if the three teams we've just played finish the season with the most points won this year if you exclude Southend's deduction.

That's pretty much how I saw last night too - although I would say that for all our good play in the first half we didn't make their keeper work at all.

Our chances came in the second half. If Mitchell used his left foot when put clean through, that's a goal - instead he delays to get it on his right and the ball is taken off him.

On any other day, Henderson thunders his chance home, but the tame waft of a side-foot typified our finishing as a whole. The sucker punch compounded things. Louie Moulden having done to him what he has done to others in previous games - route one, split the centre-backs, forward latches on, goal.

The biggest issue is clear to see. There simply are no forward alternatives as long as Rodney is out of action. It puts an unfair burden on Henderson and Mitchell, neither of whom are supposed to be our main striker this season. It also denies them a real rest to regain condition or form.

It's a priority for me, as it just undoes all the good work put in so far. Investment or no investment, a way needs to be found.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Login to get fewer ads

Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 17:30 - Oct 4 with 2366 viewsDorsetDale

Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 16:40 - Oct 4 by AtThePeake

Solihull's youtube show different highlights and Jez's culpability on full show.

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 18:38 - Oct 4 with 2245 viewsrichfoad32

Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 17:03 - Oct 4 by fitzochris

That's pretty much how I saw last night too - although I would say that for all our good play in the first half we didn't make their keeper work at all.

Our chances came in the second half. If Mitchell used his left foot when put clean through, that's a goal - instead he delays to get it on his right and the ball is taken off him.

On any other day, Henderson thunders his chance home, but the tame waft of a side-foot typified our finishing as a whole. The sucker punch compounded things. Louie Moulden having done to him what he has done to others in previous games - route one, split the centre-backs, forward latches on, goal.

The biggest issue is clear to see. There simply are no forward alternatives as long as Rodney is out of action. It puts an unfair burden on Henderson and Mitchell, neither of whom are supposed to be our main striker this season. It also denies them a real rest to regain condition or form.

It's a priority for me, as it just undoes all the good work put in so far. Investment or no investment, a way needs to be found.

What's going on with Tahvon Campbell? Seems he's notched 5 in 9 for Wealdstone. I've seen comments along the lines of he doesn't want to play for us, but is this something he's publicly stated or just assumptions based on the fact his body language at times last season wasn't the greatest?

Of course it's all a moot point anyway if he we have no recall option on his loan deal, I'm not privy to the terms.
Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 19:14 - Oct 4 with 2170 viewsAtThePeake

Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 18:38 - Oct 4 by richfoad32

What's going on with Tahvon Campbell? Seems he's notched 5 in 9 for Wealdstone. I've seen comments along the lines of he doesn't want to play for us, but is this something he's publicly stated or just assumptions based on the fact his body language at times last season wasn't the greatest?

Of course it's all a moot point anyway if he we have no recall option on his loan deal, I'm not privy to the terms.

Suspect it's assumption not just on his body language but on the fact that McNulty said he didn't want to keep hold of players that didn't want to be here, then allowed him to leave without really giving him a chance to play underneath him.

Tangled up in blue.

Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 08:26 - Oct 5 with 1866 viewssamueloneils

Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 17:03 - Oct 4 by fitzochris

Good to see someone else sees where the priority really lies.

We desperately need a new striker, presumably on loan. If any funds are available.

Apart from the good points you make, it is unfair on the midfield trio who to my mind are the best unit I have seen for several seasons.. They are being wasted without upfront power. to feed off their movement.

Defensive frailties always exist but can be offset by attack, as KH knew.
Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 08:41 - Oct 5 with 1850 viewsD_Alien

Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 08:26 - Oct 5 by samueloneils

Good to see someone else sees where the priority really lies.

We desperately need a new striker, presumably on loan. If any funds are available.

Apart from the good points you make, it is unfair on the midfield trio who to my mind are the best unit I have seen for several seasons.. They are being wasted without upfront power. to feed off their movement.

Defensive frailties always exist but can be offset by attack, as KH knew.

"Good to see someone else sees where the priority really lies."

Why ruin an otherwise good post about our midfield with that kind of banality? See, it's blindingly obvious to most Daleys, although Fitz says it well

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 06:29 - Oct 6 with 1598 viewsDale_4_Life

Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 18:38 - Oct 4 by richfoad32

Tahvon is never coming back.

Jez is a fantastic addition but he does not look 90+ minutes match fit to me noticeably tiring last 25 minutes of a game.

Agreed posted elsewhere Mitchell pulls the trigger (left foot) at 0-0 and who knows!! clear on goal (one on one with the keeper) and not getting your laces through the ball on target is very frustrating. Cutting back inside can only mean that he is very right foot dependent. Apart from this he is showing some signs there is a National League level player in there.
Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 07:32 - Oct 6 with 1561 viewsmeeee

In regards to Tahvon I was listening to an interview with Wealdstone player Max Kretzschmar who talked about Tavhon. He said that whilst at Rochdale he broke a bone in his foot which wasn't correctly diagnosed at Rochdale. He got back into training with his foot and ankle still hurting and not properly sorted and he ended up losing a lot of confidence. He thinks that going to Wealdstone who are part time may help his foot recover and I don't think we'll be seeing him back at Rochdale again
[Post edited 6 Oct 2023 12:15]
Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 11:19 - Oct 6 with 1380 viewsSuddenLad

Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 07:32 - Oct 6 by meeee

In regards to Tahvon I was listening to an interview with Wealdstone player Max Kretzschmar who talked about Tavhon. He said that whilst at Rochdale he broke a bone in his foot which wasn't correctly diagnosed at Rochdale. He got back into training with his foot and ankle still hurting and not properly sorted and he ended up losing a lot of confidence. He thinks that going to Wealdstone who are part time may help his foot recover and I don't think we'll be seeing him back at Rochdale again
[Post edited 6 Oct 2023 12:15]

Wrongly diagnosed by 'us'. Surely it was X-rayed and scanned? Hardly the fault of the club.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 11:27 - Oct 6 with 1368 viewsonedalefan

Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 06:29 - Oct 6 by Dale_4_Life

Tahvon is never coming back.

Jez is a fantastic addition but he does not look 90+ minutes match fit to me noticeably tiring last 25 minutes of a game.

Agreed posted elsewhere Mitchell pulls the trigger (left foot) at 0-0 and who knows!! clear on goal (one on one with the keeper) and not getting your laces through the ball on target is very frustrating. Cutting back inside can only mean that he is very right foot dependent. Apart from this he is showing some signs there is a National League level player in there.

Jez looks tired and not interested after about 5 minutes!
Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 11:51 - Oct 6 with 1347 viewsYadHoDale

Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 11:19 - Oct 6 by SuddenLad

Wrongly diagnosed by 'us'. Surely it was X-rayed and scanned? Hardly the fault of the club.

Not the fault of the club, or the player.

When he did play for us, he looked reasonably useful. Shame it didn't work, but since he's not had a happy time at Dale and is AFAIK based "dahn sahth", a loan down there is probably best for both parties.

Good luck to him (except against us, obviously!)
Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 12:14 - Oct 6 with 1324 viewsmeeee

Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 11:19 - Oct 6 by SuddenLad

I was just going by memory so after finding the interview again he says wrongly diagnosed at Rochdale so I’ll change the wording of my original post to reflect that
Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 12:52 - Oct 6 with 1277 viewswheniwasyourage

AI's analysis of the Managers post match interview. My installation of CHATGPT is configured to respond with no 'airs and graces' and I call it HAL, while it calls me Dave. Yes - on every 10 questions I have configured it to say 'I'm sorry Dave I cannot do that', freaks the team out:

Ah, Jimmy McNulty's post-match wisdom, eh? Sounds like he's trying to put lipstick on a pig, and not doing a great job of it. Let's dissect this like you would a risk assessment, Dave.

Contradictions: McNulty says, "I don’t know how we’ve lost the game," but then goes on to detail exactly how they lost: missed chances, a costly first goal, and moments of "immaturity." It's like saying, "I don't know how this fire started," while holding a box of matches.

Deflection: He talks about how they weren't "overly stressed" and how the goalkeeper wasn't "tested," as if that's some sort of consolation. It's not about how relaxed you are; it's about the scoreline, mate.

Excuses: McNulty mentions the team's "profile" and "immaturity" as if they're unavoidable facts of life. If you know your squad has these issues, why aren't you coaching them out of it? That's like knowing there's a compliance issue and just shrugging it off.

Lack of Accountability: He says they did "more than enough to win" and were "good enough for a point," but they didn't get either. That's like saying you've done enough work to pass an audit, but you still fail. The results speak for themselves.

Overemphasis on Stats: "The stats will say that we controlled dominated the game..." Stats are like bikini swimsuits: they show a lot but not everything. The only stat that matters is the scoreline.

Vagueness: "The second goal is a total switch off which makes the game difficult to come back in, but the first goal is the key one." What does that even mean? If you're going to critique your team's performance, be specific. It's like saying a control failed but not saying how or why.

So, in summary, McNulty's statement reads like a masterclass in how not to take responsibility while making it sound like you almost deserve a medal for losing
Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 13:04 - Oct 6 with 1264 viewsDalenet

Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 12:52 - Oct 6 by wheniwasyourage

AI's analysis of the Managers post match interview. My installation of CHATGPT is configured to respond with no 'airs and graces' and I call it HAL, while it calls me Dave. Yes - on every 10 questions I have configured it to say 'I'm sorry Dave I cannot do that', freaks the team out:

Ah, Jimmy McNulty's post-match wisdom, eh? Sounds like he's trying to put lipstick on a pig, and not doing a great job of it. Let's dissect this like you would a risk assessment, Dave.

Contradictions: McNulty says, "I don’t know how we’ve lost the game," but then goes on to detail exactly how they lost: missed chances, a costly first goal, and moments of "immaturity." It's like saying, "I don't know how this fire started," while holding a box of matches.

Deflection: He talks about how they weren't "overly stressed" and how the goalkeeper wasn't "tested," as if that's some sort of consolation. It's not about how relaxed you are; it's about the scoreline, mate.

Excuses: McNulty mentions the team's "profile" and "immaturity" as if they're unavoidable facts of life. If you know your squad has these issues, why aren't you coaching them out of it? That's like knowing there's a compliance issue and just shrugging it off.

Lack of Accountability: He says they did "more than enough to win" and were "good enough for a point," but they didn't get either. That's like saying you've done enough work to pass an audit, but you still fail. The results speak for themselves.

Overemphasis on Stats: "The stats will say that we controlled dominated the game..." Stats are like bikini swimsuits: they show a lot but not everything. The only stat that matters is the scoreline.

Vagueness: "The second goal is a total switch off which makes the game difficult to come back in, but the first goal is the key one." What does that even mean? If you're going to critique your team's performance, be specific. It's like saying a control failed but not saying how or why.

So, in summary, McNulty's statement reads like a masterclass in how not to take responsibility while making it sound like you almost deserve a medal for losing

An interesting and amusing perspective - except it is pretty serious.

Whilst listening to a commentary team that were very fair to Rochdale on the night, they talked about how most National League clubs would love to have players that we have who have played at a much higher level, with good pedigrees. Mentioning Ebanks-Landell, Henderson, Adam Clayton, and Keohane. Also talked up Nevitt and Moulden, and the capability of Sinclair. I am fed up with our own fans talking about thin squads. We have as deep a squad as 80% of the teams in this league. We have some very good, experienced players who can help the less experienced ones. Oh woe is me doesn't wash in my mind. We have decent facilities, an academy, a decent sized squad on top half budgets, and a sizeable coaching team. It is up to Jim to set them up to win and be brave. We did it against Barnet and did it for half a game against Southend.
Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 13:29 - Oct 6 with 1223 viewsDale_4_Life

Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 13:04 - Oct 6 by Dalenet

Whilst listening to a commentary team that were very fair to Rochdale on the night, they talked about how most National League clubs would love to have players that we have who have played at a much higher level, with good pedigrees. Mentioning Ebanks-Landell, Henderson, Adam Clayton, and Keohane. Also talked up Nevitt and Moulden, and the capability of Sinclair. I am fed up with our own fans talking about thin squads. We have as deep a squad as 80% of the teams in this league. We have some very good, experienced players who can help the less experienced ones. Oh woe is me doesn't wash in my mind. We have decent facilities, an academy, a decent sized squad on top half budgets, and a sizeable coaching team. It is up to Jim to set them up to win and be brave. We did it against Barnet and did it for half a game against Southend.

A perfect chance ion Saturday to change things up and play 90 minutes on the front foot.

I really thought we had reached a pivotal stage of the season when we played Barnet. Sadly just not hit those heights again since.
Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 19:29 - Oct 6 with 1038 viewsEdindale

Solihull Moors vs Rochdale: Match Thread on 13:04 - Oct 6 by Dalenet

Our players may have performed at a higher level with associated pedigree but most have peaked or are declining in Hendo's case with age. Most have underperformed over the last month.

I agree that our squad is as deep as most other teams but unlike most other teams and with the exception of Nevitt we are reluctant to give our young players a chance.

Fatigue and injuries will prove to be a problem for Jim, but I agree we can outperform teams when we are at it.

To-days recall of Conway doesn't help as in my opinion he should have been playing regularly.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024