Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Leon Britton: Captain 12:55 - May 9 with 3099 viewsKingsclere_Jack

https://www.umaxit.com/index.php/columns/leon-britton-captain
Leon Britton: Captain on 13:29 - May 9 with 2995 viewsDafyddHuw

Spot on article. Well found KJ.
Leon Britton: Captain on 13:32 - May 9 with 2978 viewsTom1912

I've only been going since '94 but easily our greatest player in my lifetime.
Leon Britton: Captain on 13:34 - May 9 with 2968 viewsLeonWasGod

In short, he's a genuine leader. That's what we missed with the departure of Ash and sadly Jack hasn't been able to fill those boots on the pitch, nice enough fellow that I'm sure he is. Leon certainly had an edge and intensity to his game that seems to set the tone for others around him. Carroll is in a similar mould.
Leon Britton: Captain on 13:37 - May 9 with 2957 viewsTom1912

Leon Britton: Captain on 13:34 - May 9 by LeonWasGod

In short, he's a genuine leader. That's what we missed with the departure of Ash and sadly Jack hasn't been able to fill those boots on the pitch, nice enough fellow that I'm sure he is. Leon certainly had an edge and intensity to his game that seems to set the tone for others around him. Carroll is in a similar mould.

I'm by no means Cork's biggest fans but will admit there are some things he does very well. Leadership isn't one of them though.
Leon Britton: Captain on 13:42 - May 9 with 2928 viewsBrynmill_Jack

In short indeed!
It's players like Leon who have contributed amost a lifetimes playing career to one club which leave me despairing somewhat at the lengths that dsome people go to to blow smoke up Gylfi's arse.
He's made a huge contribution but this fella brings a sharp focus into the argument by comparrison. Consistency wise GS can't touch Leon. Fact.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Leon Britton: Captain on 13:46 - May 9 with 2904 viewsLeonWasGod

Leon Britton: Captain on 13:42 - May 9 by Brynmill_Jack

In short indeed!
It's players like Leon who have contributed amost a lifetimes playing career to one club which leave me despairing somewhat at the lengths that dsome people go to to blow smoke up Gylfi's arse.
He's made a huge contribution but this fella brings a sharp focus into the argument by comparrison. Consistency wise GS can't touch Leon. Fact.

Consistency wise I'm not sure many people can touch Leon. He's a metronome. Never misses a beat.
Leon Britton: Captain on 14:00 - May 9 with 2856 viewsSwanseaman

Players age at different rates. Britton seems to be one of those that is still very youthful for his age. Others like Teddy Sheringham and Ryan Giggs, were still first team regulars up to 40 years old.

He may have a good few years left in him yet

Poll: Would you have Jenkins back if he found wealthy oil sheikhs to buy out the Yanks

Leon Britton: Captain on 14:01 - May 9 with 2851 viewsperchrockjack

Not sure why Gylfi is brought into this thread

Or maybe I am

Far and away Leon our best ever Pro ,at least from 1950s

Gylfi a modern day great pro and role model, poor game or not

Without doubt ,our biggest game changer and who has single handedly got us out of many scrapes but

some think otherwise

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Login to get fewer ads

Leon Britton: Captain on 14:14 - May 9 with 2788 viewsA_Fans_Dad

That article really gets to the heart of Leon.
He even inspired Ki to put in some tackles, including a sliding one.

I name him CAPTAIN INSPIRATION.
Leon Britton: Captain on 00:20 - May 10 with 2488 viewsNirvana

Leon Britton: Captain on 13:34 - May 9 by LeonWasGod

Great post Leon.

The people making decisions at the club have done an atrocious job of replacing such an integral person, player, and influence on our team and the way we play. Leon is a saint but everyone has known he's aging for a while now.

At 34, he shouldn't be relied upon to save our midfield and PL status. He can and I hope he will because he's Leon, but we should have better, younger options ahead of him. Instead, we have the Cork/Fer/Ki poo-poo platter. All nice fellas I'm sure, but they're not of the requisite standard.

It should've been an absolute priority to identify the right, promising target years ago for Leon to mentor into the role. The failure to do so, and keeping Fer/Ki instead of signing Allen this summer, are the biggest reasons our midfield has been a shambles this season.

If anyone at the club is paying attention, I would suggest taking a look at (and signing) Vincent Koziello from Nice. Absolute diamond of a player, and the closest thing to an "heir apparent" to Leon I've seen in world football recently.

He has been scouted by Arsenal, among others, but a bid around £10-12m from us would be pretty tempting for Nice. I hope the club will look into it.
Leon Britton: Captain on 00:23 - May 10 with 2477 viewsRancid

Captain, Coach, Manager, Chairman.....give him the lot and we'll be better for it.
Leon Britton: Captain on 16:42 - May 11 with 2204 viewsProfessor

Nice piece.

The word legend is used too frequently these days but Leon and Angel both deserve to be called this. From the players in my near 40 years watching the Swans they are up there with Robbie and Curt-players with a special relationship to the club, great servants and professionals. Both need replacing/are being replaced now but never thought in the days of League 1 and 2 they would have served us for six years in the Premier League.
Leon Britton: Captain on 17:02 - May 11 with 2170 viewsLeonWasGod

Leon Britton: Captain on 00:20 - May 10 by Nirvana

Great post Leon.

The people making decisions at the club have done an atrocious job of replacing such an integral person, player, and influence on our team and the way we play. Leon is a saint but everyone has known he's aging for a while now.

At 34, he shouldn't be relied upon to save our midfield and PL status. He can and I hope he will because he's Leon, but we should have better, younger options ahead of him. Instead, we have the Cork/Fer/Ki poo-poo platter. All nice fellas I'm sure, but they're not of the requisite standard.

It should've been an absolute priority to identify the right, promising target years ago for Leon to mentor into the role. The failure to do so, and keeping Fer/Ki instead of signing Allen this summer, are the biggest reasons our midfield has been a shambles this season.

If anyone at the club is paying attention, I would suggest taking a look at (and signing) Vincent Koziello from Nice. Absolute diamond of a player, and the closest thing to an "heir apparent" to Leon I've seen in world football recently.

He has been scouted by Arsenal, among others, but a bid around £10-12m from us would be pretty tempting for Nice. I hope the club will look into it.

Yep, although I think we may have stumbled on a good one in Tom Carroll. I wasn't sure to begin with, thought he was just tidy but lacking the extra edge. But he's impressed me. He's got the technical ability that Leon's always had, is a similar terrier-type with bags of energy and has seemed to have stepped up compared to where he was when we had him on loan. Top drawer, no. But he's as good as anyone we've had in a while.
Leon Britton: Captain on 18:32 - May 11 with 2067 viewsNirvana

Leon Britton: Captain on 17:02 - May 11 by LeonWasGod

Yep, although I think we may have stumbled on a good one in Tom Carroll. I wasn't sure to begin with, thought he was just tidy but lacking the extra edge. But he's impressed me. He's got the technical ability that Leon's always had, is a similar terrier-type with bags of energy and has seemed to have stepped up compared to where he was when we had him on loan. Top drawer, no. But he's as good as anyone we've had in a while.

Well, I'd say for the price we'll end up paying for Carroll if we stay up he should've turned out pretty well.

But I agree with everything you've said, and I have honestly been pleasantly surprised with "Tiny Tom" myself. He's definitely gotten more confident on the ball, and especially closing down the opposition and playing with aggression. I think that's honestly Pochettino's influence more than anything, and it shows how good coaches can develop players. He's shed any complaints about his strength and whatnot, and he even noticeably pushed Lukaku off the ball last weekend. He's a definite keeper in my book.

But I feel he lacks the focus and positional discipline to truly shield the defence like Leon. Carroll is more in the Allen box-to-box mold for me and I wouldn't trust him to be in the right place every time, and that's what you need there. And Leon is tricky, full of moves and incredibly agile, whereas Carroll is not.

I'd truly like to see the club make a concerted effort to get Koziello, as it's the right time for us and his career. I think he'd be the perfect guy to assume Leon's role for at least a few seasons before he's sold on. If we're proactive enough early on I think we have a good chance at getting a bargain. As always, I won't be holding my breath with Jenkins still calling the shots.
Leon Britton: Captain on 18:45 - May 11 with 2028 viewsLeonWasGod

Leon Britton: Captain on 18:32 - May 11 by Nirvana

Well, I'd say for the price we'll end up paying for Carroll if we stay up he should've turned out pretty well.

But I agree with everything you've said, and I have honestly been pleasantly surprised with "Tiny Tom" myself. He's definitely gotten more confident on the ball, and especially closing down the opposition and playing with aggression. I think that's honestly Pochettino's influence more than anything, and it shows how good coaches can develop players. He's shed any complaints about his strength and whatnot, and he even noticeably pushed Lukaku off the ball last weekend. He's a definite keeper in my book.

But I feel he lacks the focus and positional discipline to truly shield the defence like Leon. Carroll is more in the Allen box-to-box mold for me and I wouldn't trust him to be in the right place every time, and that's what you need there. And Leon is tricky, full of moves and incredibly agile, whereas Carroll is not.

I'd truly like to see the club make a concerted effort to get Koziello, as it's the right time for us and his career. I think he'd be the perfect guy to assume Leon's role for at least a few seasons before he's sold on. If we're proactive enough early on I think we have a good chance at getting a bargain. As always, I won't be holding my breath with Jenkins still calling the shots.

I'd like to see something like that happen. It's a key role and we need better. But I don't see it happening either - we'll spend as little as possible and other positions are probably seen as a priority. Imagine if Siggy leaves - that's going to be a hard spot to fill. We need a rb. The striker situation is an issue. We're light on fit and younger wingers (not an issue if we don't use them though).

Assuming we survive I'm hoping this season is a wake up call though - so you never know, we may have a better summer than last year.
[Post edited 11 May 2017 18:59]
Leon Britton: Captain on 19:02 - May 11 with 1997 viewsNirvana

Leon Britton: Captain on 18:45 - May 11 by LeonWasGod

I'd like to see something like that happen. It's a key role and we need better. But I don't see it happening either - we'll spend as little as possible and other positions are probably seen as a priority. Imagine if Siggy leaves - that's going to be a hard spot to fill. We need a rb. The striker situation is an issue. We're light on fit and younger wingers (not an issue if we don't use them though).

Assuming we survive I'm hoping this season is a wake up call though - so you never know, we may have a better summer than last year.
[Post edited 11 May 2017 18:59]

Our squad has quite a few issues, no doubt. Hard to see how they'll all be fixed by next season. Maybe Leon's protégé will once again be put on the backburner.

I am cautiously optimistic about The Americans this summer, and I hope they will see the overall value added to the club if they strengthen the squad while retaining our best players. Our main problem is marketability and exposure, and we need young, emerging talents (edit: and to keep our stars, like Siggy) more than anything to capitalize on that.

I have some faith they will understand that, and rectify these issues a bit this summer. I will not be surprised if I'm wrong, though.
[Post edited 11 May 2017 19:06]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024