Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Headphones 19:01 - Nov 30 with 2641 viewsWinchWenJack

I know there are a few guitarists on here, anyone recommend some studio/good quality headphones . Thanks. Looking to spend up to £200.

''You're gonna meet some strangers. Welcome to the zoo. Bitter disappointments. Except for one or two. Some of them are angry. Some of them are mean. Most of them are twisted. Few of them are clean.'' 'tans initial phonecall to Solskjaer.

Headphones on 10:01 - Dec 1 with 2582 viewsZut_Alors

As long as you don't mind leaking some sound, Grado headphones can't be beaten for the price. Depends on what you're looking to use them for, though, e.g., home audio, studio, out and about use.

If you're playing from a computer, for example, you'll get the same benefits from buying a £60 headphone amp and a £125 set of headphones that you would from a set of headphones for many hundreds more.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GRADO-SR125i-Grado-Headphones/dp/B0006GCCWW

Edit: Sorry, just saw you made reference to guitars, so would also suggest these from Audio Technica: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50X-Monitor-Professional-Headphones/

[Post edited 1 Dec 2014 10:03]
Headphones on 10:06 - Dec 1 with 2580 viewsZut_Alors

BTW - If you're looking for something very different — and do note these are not studio quality — then check out the Amphones from Vox. They're battery powered and you can plug the cable directly into the jack on the guitar.

I've got a set. There's something incredibly satisfying about playing you're electric guitar sat outside with the headphones on.

http://www.amazon.com/VOX-AMPHONEAC30-Active-Guitar-Headphones/dp/B009703MEA
Headphones on 10:26 - Dec 1 with 2568 viewsWarwickHunt

Good advice above.

Grados are great and look retro too. Try Sennheisers around £100 - HD280s are excellent.

You should't need to spend much more than a ton unless you need high end reference headphones.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2014 10:48]
Headphones on 10:40 - Dec 1 with 2557 viewsShaky

I don't know anything in particular about guitars, but do know a bit about headphones, and the best advice I can give you is not to listen to any.

If you are going to be wearing them for extended periods you need something that is comfortable, and since head shapes vary the only way to find the right pair for you is to go to a shop where you can try them on. But then I would still buy them online with the option of an easy return, because nothing can replicate the experience you will get from having them on for maybe several hours.

There are 2 main designs; open and closed backed. The former are considered to be the best for studio applications offering the most natural sound across the spectrum, but since you will be playing a relatively narrow range of frequencies on a guitar that is unlikely to be particularly important.

As such I wouldn't worry of you prefer a closed back design, and think you could probably get a very good pair for less the £120.

Misology -- It's a bitch
Poll: Greatest PS Troll Hunter of all time

Headphones on 10:44 - Dec 1 with 2555 viewsDarran

Headphones on 10:40 - Dec 1 by Shaky

I don't know anything in particular about guitars, but do know a bit about headphones, and the best advice I can give you is not to listen to any.

If you are going to be wearing them for extended periods you need something that is comfortable, and since head shapes vary the only way to find the right pair for you is to go to a shop where you can try them on. But then I would still buy them online with the option of an easy return, because nothing can replicate the experience you will get from having them on for maybe several hours.

There are 2 main designs; open and closed backed. The former are considered to be the best for studio applications offering the most natural sound across the spectrum, but since you will be playing a relatively narrow range of frequencies on a guitar that is unlikely to be particularly important.

As such I wouldn't worry of you prefer a closed back design, and think you could probably get a very good pair for less the £120.

"and since head shapes vary"

I bet yours is massive.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Headphones on 10:47 - Dec 1 with 2552 viewsShaky

Headphones on 10:44 - Dec 1 by Darran

"and since head shapes vary"

I bet yours is massive.

Too right, Dazzer, which is why I luv my HD 25 MK Is

Misology -- It's a bitch

Headphones on 11:19 - Dec 1 with 2524 viewsShaky

. . .although frequently my gigantic head forces me to make do with this:

Misology -- It's a bitch

Headphones on 20:15 - Dec 1 with 2446 viewsWinchWenJack

Thanks for the replies, they're for my son.

''You're gonna meet some strangers. Welcome to the zoo. Bitter disappointments. Except for one or two. Some of them are angry. Some of them are mean. Most of them are twisted. Few of them are clean.'' 'tans initial phonecall to Solskjaer.

Login to get fewer ads

Headphones on 23:38 - Dec 1 with 2401 viewsphact0rri

Honestly I don't put to much stock in studio headphones. I normally only use them as a secondary monitor, when I'm mixing or something or jacked into a practice amp when I'm trying to keep it down. And I've never seen a reason to get anything better than mid range £50 or what not, and those times I went a little more posh I've never noticed all that much of a difference. Though I could also just not be that picky.

When mixing I'm more concerned with waveforms anyways and the headphones are just a guiding light to let me know that notes are in the right order :)

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024