Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Where did it all go wrong 22:51 - Dec 7 with 5870 viewsEvenThisNameIsTaken

Good segment here on the rise and fall of Garry Monk and the team.

It doesn't answer any questions - but instead reflects what the rest of the world is thinking. How and why?

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/22705/10092469/garry-monk8217s-future-at-

It's baffling. Totally defies all logic and the only reasonable possiblility is there is a player vs manager revolt surely.
[Post edited 7 Dec 2015 22:53]

Poll: Goal 2 - scored by who?

Where did it all go wrong on 23:00 - Dec 7 with 4635 viewsItchySphincter

Garry Monk try to fix what ain't broke.

P!ssed on his chips.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Where did it all go wrong on 23:09 - Dec 7 with 4606 viewsmysonsarejacks

It is crazy that only a few weeks ago GM was being touted as an England manager ( I thought it might happen one day) now it's come to this.

OP has a good point - how did it happen?? Is it 'player power'?

GM looks a bit of a shadow of himself at the moment - still some fighting talk - but really feel for the guy.

Poll: John Terry transfer ?

Where did it all go wrong on 23:15 - Dec 7 with 4580 viewsTNT

A lot of people got bored of the tiki-taka, short passing game, and wanted something different.

I'm sure someone posted on here, 'be careful what you wish for'.

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

Where did it all go wrong on 23:22 - Dec 7 with 4546 viewsEvenThisNameIsTaken

The final straw for myself and most here was likely his interview - he looked clueless and completely defeated. Clearly he's lost - no other ideas and we still haven't see his 'Plan B or C'.

It is a huge shame - hell of a fall so far.

Where did it all go wrong on 00:09 - Dec 8 with 4460 viewsLoyal

It hasn't gone wrong.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Where did it all go wrong on 00:14 - Dec 8 with 4449 viewsSwansNZ

Where did it all go wrong on 00:09 - Dec 8 by Loyal

It hasn't gone wrong.

Is it right?

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Where did it all go wrong on 00:15 - Dec 8 with 4448 viewsLoyal

Where did it all go wrong on 00:14 - Dec 8 by SwansNZ

Is it right?

Definitely not, but it isn't ALL wrong either.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.

Where did it all go wrong on 09:37 - Dec 8 with 4249 viewsEvenThisNameIsTaken

Where did it all go wrong on 00:15 - Dec 8 by Loyal

Of course not. 1 win in 12 is perfectly.....

Login to get fewer ads

Where did it all go wrong on 09:40 - Dec 8 with 4235 viewslovejuicejack

Where did it all go wrong on 00:15 - Dec 8 by Loyal

Your mad bruv
Where did it all go wrong on 09:51 - Dec 8 with 4209 viewsLoyal

Where did it all go wrong on 09:40 - Dec 8 by lovejuicejack

Your mad bruv

I love you.

Where did it all go wrong on 09:54 - Dec 8 with 4195 viewslovejuicejack

Where did it all go wrong on 09:51 - Dec 8 by Loyal

I love you.

Love you more squashy
Where did it all go wrong on 10:04 - Dec 8 with 4175 viewsZut_Alors

Of course, this is total speculation, but I hazard a guess that Monk has fallen into the trap of not dealing with the fact that some players don't have the same give everything outlook to the game that he has/had. I'm not saying it's the players fault, but just that's the reality of mid table teams. It's hard to keep them motivated if they're not chasing a transfer to a big club, working to earn a new managers trust, a points record, or protecting their pay packets in a final push against relegation.

Without enough experience in recruitment, he failed to shape the team this season to reflect the desired mentality he wanted. For me, there's no better illustration of this than the ways he's tried to shoe horn in crash, bang, wallop Bartley into a defence over two far more skilled players, in Amat and Fernandez. The sad thing is that tactically Monk is actually more astute than many would like to believe. Those weren't fluke wins last season and some of the changes he made were excellent.
Where did it all go wrong on 10:06 - Dec 8 with 4168 viewsmagicdaps10

Monk getting too big for his boots...........thats what happened.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Where did it all go wrong on 10:11 - Dec 8 with 4158 viewsjasper_T

Where did it all go wrong on 10:04 - Dec 8 by Zut_Alors

Of course, this is total speculation, but I hazard a guess that Monk has fallen into the trap of not dealing with the fact that some players don't have the same give everything outlook to the game that he has/had. I'm not saying it's the players fault, but just that's the reality of mid table teams. It's hard to keep them motivated if they're not chasing a transfer to a big club, working to earn a new managers trust, a points record, or protecting their pay packets in a final push against relegation.

Without enough experience in recruitment, he failed to shape the team this season to reflect the desired mentality he wanted. For me, there's no better illustration of this than the ways he's tried to shoe horn in crash, bang, wallop Bartley into a defence over two far more skilled players, in Amat and Fernandez. The sad thing is that tactically Monk is actually more astute than many would like to believe. Those weren't fluke wins last season and some of the changes he made were excellent.

I'd say that he's not smart enough to realise that the "give everything" attitude isn't the best course of action for every situation, and has become trapped in a cycle of demanding more and more effort to counter poor performances.

We were flying at the start of the season. Fitness levels were great after pre-season training. But he hasn't wound down when fixtures domestic and international have piled up around the squad. So now the whole team looks lethargic and barely able to move.

Ki has spent the whole season either playing, injured or on a plane. The lad needed a week off after the last international "break", I'm not surprised he's ambling around the pitch.
Where did it all go wrong on 10:22 - Dec 8 with 4128 viewsZut_Alors

Where did it all go wrong on 10:11 - Dec 8 by jasper_T

I'd say that he's not smart enough to realise that the "give everything" attitude isn't the best course of action for every situation, and has become trapped in a cycle of demanding more and more effort to counter poor performances.

We were flying at the start of the season. Fitness levels were great after pre-season training. But he hasn't wound down when fixtures domestic and international have piled up around the squad. So now the whole team looks lethargic and barely able to move.

Ki has spent the whole season either playing, injured or on a plane. The lad needed a week off after the last international "break", I'm not surprised he's ambling around the pitch.

Absolutely. That's exactly what I was suggesting, something that I would hope experience will give him. And I agree that player fatigue looks like an issue. It's interesting that we've had the fewest injuries this season, but I wonder whether that has to do with some of our players playing under full capacity.
Where did it all go wrong on 10:35 - Dec 8 with 4093 viewsBalhamSwan

he took us to the next level and then couldn't work out what to do when teams decided to park the bus against us. No room for jeff, bafe & ayew to run into against a deep defence so we just pass it around aimlessly. It's gone on so long now all confidence is shot.
Where did it all go wrong on 10:42 - Dec 8 with 4068 viewsJack_Kass

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Poll: FA Cup or Premier League

Where did it all go wrong on 10:51 - Dec 8 with 4047 viewsEvenThisNameIsTaken

Where did it all go wrong on 10:42 - Dec 8 by Jack_Kass

You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Nothing more fitting than a Batman quote at a time like this.

Monkman

Where did it all go wrong on 10:57 - Dec 8 with 4026 viewsLeonisGod

It all started going wrong when we bought Wilf and changed our game plan to play longer to the big man. We've lost the midfield zip and been papering over cracks ever since. Much of the football last season wasn't the best if we're being honest. But we did have spirit and determination, with a sprinkling of individual quality, and that carried us to our best PL finish. I've no idea where that spirit has gone.
Where did it all go wrong on 12:17 - Dec 8 with 3933 viewsJack_Kass

All started wrong when we bought Wilf?..

The best player we've ever had? I cant av that..

Where did it all go wrong on 12:46 - Dec 8 with 3879 viewsJackanapes

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-swansea-city-end-u

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

Where did it all go wrong on 12:47 - Dec 8 with 3870 viewsLeonisGod

Where did it all go wrong on 12:17 - Dec 8 by Jack_Kass

All started wrong when we bought Wilf?..

The best player we've ever had? I cant av that..

I did't say Wilf wasn't a good player for us. But we're still looking for the long out ball to a strong target man. Wilf can't help us there now. The change in our style coincided with Wilf arriving. And it worked whilst we had him. A lot of posters are saying we've lost our identity and that was a key step in the change imo
Where did it all go wrong on 13:33 - Dec 8 with 3808 viewsJack_Kass

Where did it all go wrong on 12:47 - Dec 8 by LeonisGod

I did't say Wilf wasn't a good player for us. But we're still looking for the long out ball to a strong target man. Wilf can't help us there now. The change in our style coincided with Wilf arriving. And it worked whilst we had him. A lot of posters are saying we've lost our identity and that was a key step in the change imo

Wilf was far more than a target man. A sublime finisher, the which fit well into any style of play.

If you want to look for where our 'style' drastically changed, it wasn't through the addition of a player, it was the appointment of a manager with an entrenched mentality of defence first, and grinding out the results.

Years gone by, we used to have off days and still outplay teams comfortably, because technically we were levels above them, beating Sunderland 4-0 a couple of seasons ago, when to all extents we were dog awful on the day, a prime example.

Under Garry, we either defend well, or we lose.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2015 13:33]

Where did it all go wrong on 16:26 - Dec 8 with 3739 viewsLeonisGod

Where did it all go wrong on 13:33 - Dec 8 by Jack_Kass

Wilf was far more than a target man. A sublime finisher, the which fit well into any style of play.

If you want to look for where our 'style' drastically changed, it wasn't through the addition of a player, it was the appointment of a manager with an entrenched mentality of defence first, and grinding out the results.

Years gone by, we used to have off days and still outplay teams comfortably, because technically we were levels above them, beating Sunderland 4-0 a couple of seasons ago, when to all extents we were dog awful on the day, a prime example.

Under Garry, we either defend well, or we lose.
[Post edited 8 Dec 2015 13:33]

I'm fairly sure we started relying on the long ball as soon as Wilf came in, so this pre-dates Garry. That was one of my bug bears in ML's 2nd season that our slick passing game was being eroded. Garry's just put the final nail in the coffin.

Not sure Wilf would be suited to any type of game, but that's probably another discussion.
Where did it all go wrong on 16:51 - Dec 8 with 3704 viewsLandore_Jack

1. The playing style is definitely a difference. I hardly recognize the Swansea way.
2. Getting rid of Dyer is a mystery. He should have got a replacement.
3. Not replacing Bony in the summer.
4. Apart from the Ayew, the summer signings are not good enough.
5. He publically slated Shelvey when he said the Swans could reach Champions League.
6. Blaming the fans for the draw against Bournemouth.
7. His selections for some games. I.E Bartley for FF and Routledge for Montero.

#backtojack

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024