Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Retirement Hobbies and Interests 13:02 - Dec 3 with 3662 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

I was stuck in traffic on the M25 on Thursday and rang a colleague who by coincidence was stuck on the M6, he talked about having enough of the travelling and was looking forward to retiring. I asked what he would do in retirement, he didn't have a clue!
I have a bit of an eclectic mix of things to do when I have more time, but I know there will be loads of things I have not thought about, what do you have planned or are doing in retirement?

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 13:53 - Dec 3 with 2838 viewsonehunglow

Matey
Day not long enough.
Embrace having time to self and family
Work only to live
I’ve been retired 11 years and miss work not one jot .
Personally, when not posting to my legions of acolytes and my diverse followers ,I …
Play piano every day for two hours learning at least one new song,preferably in a tricky key. This keeps the brain working . Important .
I play a selection of guitars,mandolin and have taken up the banjo which is a complete tawat as it requires dexterous finger work . Not easy with arthritis on wrists .
I swim a mile per week over three visits . Used to do it in two visits but Im nearing 74 yrs of age and haven’t the puff now
When fine ,I cycle ( on my static bike ) for 45 mins. Careful with prostrate though!.
Read something .
Taking dog out. She is 20 month black lab and full of it. We re lucky to have coast,moor,woods,golf courses and nature trails to wander over. She gets two hours per day at least .

Take in live music shows and support people following their dreams . It’s hard to make a living in music .

Top Tip. Avoid day time TV as it corrodes the brain .

Glad to help

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 14:37 - Dec 3 with 2824 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 13:53 - Dec 3 by onehunglow

Matey
Day not long enough.
Embrace having time to self and family
Work only to live
I’ve been retired 11 years and miss work not one jot .
Personally, when not posting to my legions of acolytes and my diverse followers ,I …
Play piano every day for two hours learning at least one new song,preferably in a tricky key. This keeps the brain working . Important .
I play a selection of guitars,mandolin and have taken up the banjo which is a complete tawat as it requires dexterous finger work . Not easy with arthritis on wrists .
I swim a mile per week over three visits . Used to do it in two visits but Im nearing 74 yrs of age and haven’t the puff now
When fine ,I cycle ( on my static bike ) for 45 mins. Careful with prostrate though!.
Read something .
Taking dog out. She is 20 month black lab and full of it. We re lucky to have coast,moor,woods,golf courses and nature trails to wander over. She gets two hours per day at least .

Take in live music shows and support people following their dreams . It’s hard to make a living in music .

Top Tip. Avoid day time TV as it corrodes the brain .

Glad to help

Thank you for all that, musical instruments are part of my plan, guitar or piano? What would you start with? I've not played anything before. Work tends to be feast or famine so I've procrastinated so far.

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:56 - Dec 3 with 2811 viewsonehunglow

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 14:37 - Dec 3 by JACKMANANDBOY

Thank you for all that, musical instruments are part of my plan, guitar or piano? What would you start with? I've not played anything before. Work tends to be feast or famine so I've procrastinated so far.

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 16:46 - Dec 3 with 2766 viewsSullutaCreturned

I have a hankering to try a tenor sax.

My biggest hope is that I get to travel a lot. The way things are going it's definitely possible. The only restriction on that might be a dog. I love dogs and if we still have one then it might be camper van and a long road trip so we can take the pooch with us!
Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 16:49 - Dec 3 with 2760 viewsonehunglow

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 16:46 - Dec 3 by SullutaCreturned

My biggest hope is that I get to travel a lot. The way things are going it's definitely possible. The only restriction on that might be a dog. I love dogs and if we still have one then it might be camper van and a long road trip so we can take the pooch with us!

If we d had a longer driveway we d have had a RV
However defecating into a bucket?
Yah a fi

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 16:51 - Dec 3 with 2765 viewsmajorraglan

I retired just under 3 years ago in the middle of Covid after working in a pretty full on job for what seems like an age. Wifey is a few years younger than me and unable to retire, so i wasn’t sure what to do. I ended up taking a couple of temporary part time job 2 or 3 days a week in quick succession and it’s worked out well, two or three days work and 4/5 days off. It’s different to my “career” job, in my role I can make a difference to some less fortunate people so it can be rewarding - if I don’t like it or have a guts full I can jack it in and do something else - or 3fen nothing at all

I’m also renovating a property which I really enjoy, however there are sometimes some pressures balancing work and building. I try to walk 3 miles four or five times a week and maybe go for a swim. I had a musical instrument as my leaving gift from work but it’s still in the box! Imy kids are encouraging me to play golf, but I’ve no interest. I defo intend to travel a bit more.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2023 17:16]
Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 17:05 - Dec 3 with 2755 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 16:46 - Dec 3 by SullutaCreturned

We use a pet sitter to look after the dog and house when we go away. The lady we use is about 65 and a real gem, she's more like a friend now and the neighbours love her. She's cheaper than kennels!

Retirement Hobbies and Interests (n/t) on 17:37 - Dec 3 with 2722 viewslifelong

[Post edited 3 Dec 2023 18:36]
Login to get fewer ads

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 18:55 - Dec 3 with 2669 viewsTogg

Still a few years of yet but already planning. We are thinking of a few options the first being moving full time to Spain. If not that spending a good few months of the year there, although the first option still the favorite. Why? Because we love the outdoor life. Having mild weather in the winter months. Great food, wine etc. The cost of living is polls apart. The cost of living in the UK is now beyond a joke.
We both have loads of interests . Mine photography, playing Tennis, walking. Keeping reasonably fit and loving a nice beer glass of red and good food. Play guitar and a little Mandolin. Although the Mando has not been touched for over two years.
Just my pennies worth, if you want to learn an instrument start with an acoustic guitar with an easy action. Basic chords are pretty easy to learn. I'm pretty much a basic myself but always looking to learn improve.
It's just my opinion but keep busy when you finish work. Keep the brain muscles active and also your body muscles if your health allows you. Don't spend the day in the pub or being inactive with a sedentary lifestyle.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2023 18:58]
Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 19:01 - Dec 3 with 2651 viewsTogg

I do a fair bit of driving still in my job and I can safely say it's now a total pain in the arse. Everything from the amount of vehicles on the road, roadworks motorway delays. Patience has now run pretty much thin on it all.
Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 19:11 - Dec 3 with 2639 viewsKeithHaynes

Write a book, keep healthy with exercise, most certainly retain a positive mindset, join a band 😂 But most of all don’t let anyone get in your way, family first yes, but these are your golden days. Turn the clouds off.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 19:55 - Dec 3 with 2610 viewsTogg

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 19:11 - Dec 3 by KeithHaynes

Write a book, keep healthy with exercise, most certainly retain a positive mindset, join a band 😂 But most of all don’t let anyone get in your way, family first yes, but these are your golden days. Turn the clouds off.

Very well put mate!
Can I just add......allegedly Frank Sinatra said ' you need to know when it's time to leave the party'. I think that comes with anything in life. Meaning of it's retirement, moving, looking for a new job . It's a time to move on.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2023 19:59]
Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 19:56 - Dec 3 with 2609 viewsWingstandwood

The correct purchase of a playable guitar is very important. A beginner has an advantage with a guitar that is comfortable and easier to play.

A nice (term used)"set-up" means the strings are low or lowered as close to the fret board as possible without 'fret buzz'.

The term for string setting height is called the guitars playing "action". Basically a lot of guitars that come out of a box can often come with a high "action" that means learning/playing them becomes vastly more difficult, often resulting in a person losing interest.

I paid for a guy to set-up my guitar and I can now play a few songs and chords which I could never do before....I gave up the first time around with another guitar because of its high playing action. It made a world of difference… Many shops provide a set-up service and sometimes a guitar can come out of its box with low action anyhow. It’s always worth a chat with a shop owner or online sales team member about that subject.

And boy its surprising how many great songs that someone can play with only three chords on a guitar! YouTube is full of three chord tutorials.

Argus!

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 20:01 - Dec 3 with 2594 viewsTogg

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 19:56 - Dec 3 by Wingstandwood

The correct purchase of a playable guitar is very important. A beginner has an advantage with a guitar that is comfortable and easier to play.

A nice (term used)"set-up" means the strings are low or lowered as close to the fret board as possible without 'fret buzz'.

The term for string setting height is called the guitars playing "action". Basically a lot of guitars that come out of a box can often come with a high "action" that means learning/playing them becomes vastly more difficult, often resulting in a person losing interest.

I paid for a guy to set-up my guitar and I can now play a few songs and chords which I could never do before....I gave up the first time around with another guitar because of its high playing action. It made a world of difference… Many shops provide a set-up service and sometimes a guitar can come out of its box with low action anyhow. It’s always worth a chat with a shop owner or online sales team member about that subject.

And boy its surprising how many great songs that someone can play with only three chords on a guitar! YouTube is full of three chord tutorials.

Very good advice.
Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 20:48 - Dec 3 with 2560 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Thanks very helpful!

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 20:55 - Dec 3 with 2553 viewsWingstandwood

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 20:48 - Dec 3 by JACKMANANDBOY

Thanks very helpful!

Here is a nice review for a guitar that apparently has a nice set-up right out of the box. Video 3:20s.

Argus!

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 22:18 - Dec 3 with 2509 viewsonehunglow

Pity we didn't live nearer for a jam

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 09:30 - Dec 4 with 2452 viewsWingstandwood

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 22:18 - Dec 3 by onehunglow

Pity we didn't live nearer for a jam

I think you are a vastly better player than me, its just basic easier open chords and power chords without any barre stuff for me. It's all about lots of practice and patience at the end of the day imo,

It's a nice hobby however thats not weather permitting and seasonal like fishing or golf etc.

Argus!

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 09:36 - Dec 4 with 2446 viewsonehunglow

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 09:30 - Dec 4 by Wingstandwood

I think you are a vastly better player than me, its just basic easier open chords and power chords without any barre stuff for me. It's all about lots of practice and patience at the end of the day imo,

It's a nice hobby however thats not weather permitting and seasonal like fishing or golf etc.

I would also suggest learning Barre chords as then two basic shapes with your index finger across the fretboard ( one fret above ) will see you play most chords in music. It takes practise and you will get peeed off. You will find it hard to play a clean chord sound at first but it will get better. Muscle memory . It works the brain as the fingers work via the brain.
A guitar coach will be an enormous help and will save you time in the end .

That said, if you have room,get a digital piano !

Go for it

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 10:05 - Dec 4 with 2442 viewsWingstandwood

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 09:36 - Dec 4 by onehunglow

I would also suggest learning Barre chords as then two basic shapes with your index finger across the fretboard ( one fret above ) will see you play most chords in music. It takes practise and you will get peeed off. You will find it hard to play a clean chord sound at first but it will get better. Muscle memory . It works the brain as the fingers work via the brain.
A guitar coach will be an enormous help and will save you time in the end .

That said, if you have room,get a digital piano !

Go for it

Aye,many see a video of someone playing and I guess just like with myself thought it would be too easy, because others make it look that way.

I now appreciate the practice that these guys must have put in. In fact I avoided barre chords (preffering easier power chords instead) along with the dreaded (to some) open F chord and I'm not too keen on open B either.

But like you said muscle memory is fantastic because you do not have to think or concentrate on making chord shapes or finger positioning. I can rembember times when there was a 5-10 second gap between each chord change with me.

Argus!

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 10:20 - Dec 4 with 2436 viewsonehunglow

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 10:05 - Dec 4 by Wingstandwood

Aye,many see a video of someone playing and I guess just like with myself thought it would be too easy, because others make it look that way.

I now appreciate the practice that these guys must have put in. In fact I avoided barre chords (preffering easier power chords instead) along with the dreaded (to some) open F chord and I'm not too keen on open B either.

But like you said muscle memory is fantastic because you do not have to think or concentrate on making chord shapes or finger positioning. I can rembember times when there was a 5-10 second gap between each chord change with me.

There’s always bodges
For F chord
Try

Think it’s a F7 so it’s close enough
[Post edited 4 Dec 2023 10:22]

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 10:58 - Dec 4 with 2410 viewsunion_jack

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 10:05 - Dec 4 by Wingstandwood

Here’s my 10c worth. When you start to learn, especially barre chords, make sure you get the shape of the hand right. What I mean by this is that you need to press down on the strings and fir that there is a correct way which if done right will initially make your firearm and wrist ache like hell. You’ll also clunk the strings but stick with it, it will come.

As OHL said, when you can play barre chords the world is your oyster.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 17:58 - Dec 5 with 2251 viewsTreforys_Jack

Any interest in tracing your family tree Jackmanandboy? Very addictive and time consuming. Really enjoyed doing mine.
Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 20:48 - Dec 5 with 2181 viewsSullutaCreturned

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 17:05 - Dec 3 by JACKMANANDBOY

We use a pet sitter to look after the dog and house when we go away. The lady we use is about 65 and a real gem, she's more like a friend now and the neighbours love her. She's cheaper than kennels!

Our dogs are family, our best mate and we go together. We don't like leaving them behind. We have done but we much prefer to be together.

The vet never called our last dog by his name, when he saw him coming he always called him happy dog
Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 20:51 - Dec 5 with 2174 viewsonehunglow

Retirement Hobbies and Interests on 20:48 - Dec 5 by SullutaCreturned

Our dogs are family, our best mate and we go together. We don't like leaving them behind. We have done but we much prefer to be together.

The vet never called our last dog by his name, when he saw him coming he always called him happy dog

Cat
Our black Lab is the most loved animal around.
We take her to cafes ,restaurants,pubs, and airbnbs .
Travel crate is her temporary home .
Local kennels are fine.
Dogs can tolerate owners being away . We judge them from a human perspective ,not animals
When we pass the kennels on daily walk,she wags her bluddy tail and heads for their kennels.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024