What Data We Collect
Whenever you visit a page on our Site, we automatically collect some data about you. For example, we know some basic information about the type of device you use, the date and time of your visit, the page you viewed, your browser type, operating system, and Internet Protocol (IP) address. This information is generally used to help us deliver the most relevant information to you and administer and improve the Site.
As is true of most websites, we gather certain information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes the above general data above. We use this information to maintain and improve the performance of the services.
"Cookies" are small pieces of information (text files) that a website sends to your computer's hard drive while you are viewing the website. These text files that can be used by websites to make a user's experience more efficient, convenient and personalised.
The law states that we can store these Cookies on your device if they are strictly necessary for the operation of this site. For all other types of Cookies we need your permission.
To that end, this site uses different types of Cookies. Some Cookies are placed by third party services that appear on our pages. We and some third parties may use both session Cookies (which expire once you close your web browser) and persistent Cookies (which stay on your computer until you delete them) to provide you with a more personal and interactive experience on our services and to market the services or other products.
Marketing Cookies are used to track visitors across websites. The intention is to display ads that are relevant and engaging for the individual user and thereby more valuable for publishers and third-party advertisers. This tracking is done on an anonymous basis and, while not an exhaustive list, some of the companies we work with are Google, AppNexus, Criteo, Rubicon, Pubmatic and DistrictM.
To learn more about this practice, including the Self Regulatory Principles for Online Advertising, to which we adhere, you can visit:
Use of Your Personal information
In general, personal information you submit to us is used either to respond to requests that you make, or to provide you ways of interacting with the site. We use your personal information in the following ways:
- Facilitate the creation of and secure your account on our network; and
- Identify you as a user in our system;
- Respond to comments and questions and provide customer service;
- Send breaking news alerts if requested on our mailing list;
When running competitions, we may identify the winners by their first and last name, and county or country if outside the UK. We obtain the user's consent prior to posting this information. All competition entries will be deleted within a month of the closing date of the competition.
Disclosure of Your Personal information
Information You Share:
Our Site and services allow you to share content and information. Please be mindful of your own privacy needs as you choose who to connect with and what to share and make public. We cannot control the privacy or security of information you choose to make public on the Site. If you share information about others, we suggest you get consent for any information you may share about them.
In addition, while the Site Editors are not able to access details of messages sent in the Direct Message system, the Database Administrator (email@example.com) can. Direct Messages are not routinely monitored but if abuse is reported or suspected, we reserve the right to do so.
Information We Share:
We may disclose aggregated information about our users and information that does not identify any individual without restriction. In addition, we may disclose personal information that we collect or you provide:
- To fulfil the purpose for which you provide it, for any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information, or with your consent (for example, competition prize winners);
- To third parties designated by you;
- To third parties to process payments made through the services;
- With a social networking site (SNS) if you choose to post content to an SNS through the service;
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganisation, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by us about users is among the assets transferred; and
Third Party Websites
Your Choices Regarding Information
If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to accept cookies from our services for any of the purposes described above, then you can instruct your browser, by changing its settings, to stop accepting Cookies or to prompt you before accepting a Cookie from the websites you visit. Consult your browser's technical information. If you do not accept Cookies, however, you may not be able to use all portions of the services or all functionality of the services. If you have any questions about how to disable or modify Cookies, please let us know at the contact information provided below.
A Note About Children
Our services are not directed to children under the age of 13 and children under the age of 13 are not eligible to use our services. If a child under 13 submits personal information to us and we learn that the personal information is the personal information of a child under 13, we will take steps to remove the personal information from our databases. If you believe that we might have any personal information from a child under 13, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a user of our Site you have the following rights:
- The right to ask what personal data that we hold about you at any time. Extra requests (particularly repetitive) for data may result in a fee being charged to the user.
- The right to ask us to update and correct any out-of-date or incorrect personal data that we hold about you free of charge.
Further information regarding your rights can be found here.
If you wish to exercise any of the above rights, please contact us via: email@example.com