Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
SCOTLAND 02:12 - Sep 18 with 10945 viewsSonofNorfolt

BTW

NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

SCOTLAND on 09:35 - Sep 18 with 1394 viewsstevec

SCOTLAND on 09:26 - Sep 18 by johann28

Yes - I'm surprised it was arranged on a simple majority basis - thus leaving us with the distinct possibility that if, say, there's an 80% turn out and just over half vote Yes, then we'll be in a situation where most people will not have voted for independence. A two-thirds majority would surely have been better for such an important change.

So on that basis, if 65% of Scots voted for Independence the 35% would win the day
SCOTLAND on 09:36 - Sep 18 with 1391 viewsTheBlob

If it's a YES England's got eight years to get out of Europe - that's the amount of time an independent Scotland takes to get membership of the EU and their grubby little hands on the money the UK pours in to the system.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

SCOTLAND on 09:41 - Sep 18 with 1374 viewsloftboy

SCOTLAND on 09:26 - Sep 18 by johann28

Yes - I'm surprised it was arranged on a simple majority basis - thus leaving us with the distinct possibility that if, say, there's an 80% turn out and just over half vote Yes, then we'll be in a situation where most people will not have voted for independence. A two-thirds majority would surely have been better for such an important change.

If you don't vote then you can't complain at the outcome.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

SCOTLAND on 09:46 - Sep 18 with 1360 viewsQPR442

SCOTLAND on 09:36 - Sep 18 by TheBlob

If it's a YES England's got eight years to get out of Europe - that's the amount of time an independent Scotland takes to get membership of the EU and their grubby little hands on the money the UK pours in to the system.

I reckon it will be a NO vote but if it is Yes then...
We bring back the ship building to Portsmouth so my mates Dad can get his job back.
Make sure they cannot get BBC Iplayer like the rest of Europe.
I want SKY discount because I am not interested in Scottish football
Kick them out of the Pound
Give jobs to English
Make them pay roaming charges on their mobiles because they will be in Europe.
Put up a new boarder control to stop them using our country.
Finally
If we do pull out of Europe in the future many scots will find it hard to work here and may need visas.
I want them to stay with us but if the choose to go, they go alone and we don't help them.
SCOTLAND on 09:48 - Sep 18 with 1357 viewskropotkin41

SCOTLAND on 09:05 - Sep 18 by TheBlob

I really think you should spend less time talking with your carrots.

Seriously Mr Blob, the effect of London on the rest of the UK is well documented and researched. This is not something my carrots have been telling me. Actually it'd be better for the whole country is this situation was addressed.

This phenomenon makes itself felt in a number of ways but perhaps the most important over the centuries has been the dominance of financial interests over industrial, one of the reasons the "workshop of the world" as England was known has become a country that mostly belongs to bankers.

See, my carrots would never come up with that......... they're mostly concerned about rabbits.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

SCOTLAND on 09:55 - Sep 18 with 1341 viewsMrSheen

SCOTLAND on 09:48 - Sep 18 by kropotkin41

Seriously Mr Blob, the effect of London on the rest of the UK is well documented and researched. This is not something my carrots have been telling me. Actually it'd be better for the whole country is this situation was addressed.

This phenomenon makes itself felt in a number of ways but perhaps the most important over the centuries has been the dominance of financial interests over industrial, one of the reasons the "workshop of the world" as England was known has become a country that mostly belongs to bankers.

See, my carrots would never come up with that......... they're mostly concerned about rabbits.

I think it will be Yes. They've got themselves into a collective hysteria that everything bad in their life is imposed from outside and that independence will magic them away. Repent at leisure.
SCOTLAND on 09:58 - Sep 18 with 1337 viewsTheBlob

SCOTLAND on 09:48 - Sep 18 by kropotkin41

I'm not disputing London's prominence,it could quite easily be a stand alone economy.Yes it belongs to bankers and thankfully we all benefit(no pun intended)from their success.The dark satanic mills and blighted landscapes of the "workshop of the world" have been replaced by workshops of a much different technological hue.
I'm sure you would agree in part as you survey your lowing herds of carrots amongst the bucolic splendour of Wales.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

SCOTLAND on 10:12 - Sep 18 with 1320 viewswillis1980

SCOTLAND on 07:37 - Sep 18 by kropotkin41

It's going to be very close it seems.

If I was living in Scotland I'd turn out and vote yes.

You can't expect Scotland to go on forever putting up with right wing governments it hasn't voted for, stupid wars that the UK gets involved in, and looking after bloody useless nuclear weapons that most Scots don't want at all let alone in Scotland.

Also, anyone who regularly travels around the Schengen Agreement countries will know that in grown-up parts of the world independence doesn't mean the end of the world.

scotland isnt the leftie love-in you think it is, only marginally less people voted for the tories than did the snp.

you cant expect them to put up with right wing governments?? Have i missed something here? The same party that is behind the "yes" campaign is the SNP with some of the most right wing policies since thatcher!
Login to get fewer ads

SCOTLAND on 10:16 - Sep 18 with 1312 viewsHollowayRanger

im tore

i dont want to see the union broken up but if scotland stays they will be getting so many extra benifits that it will feel as if they are having their cake and eating ours as well

i think they will go and if they do so be it good luck to them but dont help them at all they will be a rival country , dont let them use the pound and put up border controls FAST! salmon has already said he intends to have an open boarder with the eu and that everyone is welcome,mark my words all those waiting in france to come here will head straight for scotland and they down to england

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

SCOTLAND on 10:16 - Sep 18 with 1312 viewswillis1980

SCOTLAND on 09:46 - Sep 18 by QPR442

I reckon it will be a NO vote but if it is Yes then...
We bring back the ship building to Portsmouth so my mates Dad can get his job back.
Make sure they cannot get BBC Iplayer like the rest of Europe.
I want SKY discount because I am not interested in Scottish football
Kick them out of the Pound
Give jobs to English
Make them pay roaming charges on their mobiles because they will be in Europe.
Put up a new boarder control to stop them using our country.
Finally
If we do pull out of Europe in the future many scots will find it hard to work here and may need visas.
I want them to stay with us but if the choose to go, they go alone and we don't help them.

wait for the mess if its a yes and shetland etc decide to go it alone too, suddenly the oil revenue they keep banging on about will be a lot less than they expected
SCOTLAND on 10:27 - Sep 18 with 1279 viewsClive_Anderson

SCOTLAND on 10:12 - Sep 18 by willis1980

scotland isnt the leftie love-in you think it is, only marginally less people voted for the tories than did the snp.

you cant expect them to put up with right wing governments?? Have i missed something here? The same party that is behind the "yes" campaign is the SNP with some of the most right wing policies since thatcher!

Left wingers seem to think that any system that allows right wingers into power needs to be stopped. Just have a look in the Guardian where they are complaining what a disaster an English parliament would be because it means that the Tories might get in. Only interested in democracy when it suits them.

As for Scotland, having read a lot of the opinion polls a lot of Scots are saying their heart says yes but their head says no. Well if their heart isn't in the union and they need paying off to stay then it is pretty worthless in my opinion.
SCOTLAND on 10:27 - Sep 18 with 1279 viewsloftboy

SCOTLAND on 10:16 - Sep 18 by willis1980

wait for the mess if its a yes and shetland etc decide to go it alone too, suddenly the oil revenue they keep banging on about will be a lot less than they expected

Wasn't that a wind up?

SCOTLAND on 10:29 - Sep 18 with 1270 viewsjonno

SCOTLAND on 09:01 - Sep 18 by YorkRanger

I think the best outcome is a no vote but it will clearly be a close call.

The concern is the economics are very complex, particularly in relation to currency and if Scotland are not allowed to use sterling then they will have some very challenging situations to managed.

That aside there are some very interesting questions about how they build the required infrastructure as an independent nation and the associated cost e.g.embassies, intelligent service, armed forces. There has also been an absence of any detaila round areas such as foreign policy, views on europe etc.

There was a good piece in the FT yesterday, that should be essential reading before anyone in Scotland completes a ballot paper. Sadly blind nationalism will be driving many.

The best outcome for England will be a Yes vote. Why? Because for some reason we are bending over backwards to offer them all sorts of incentives if they vote No. They already receive £1600 PER PERSON more beneficial treatment than we get in England (free dental treatment, free University education etc.). God knows what Cameron and the other muppets have promised them on top of that to vote No. I want them to bugger off so we can claw that extra money they get back and use it for English people, the majority of whom paid it in tax in the first place.
SCOTLAND on 10:40 - Sep 18 with 1250 viewsStraightR

I can't help feeling the nation as a whole would be better if the Scots stay, though I accept that their dislike of the English is visceral and, whipped up by a skilled and opportunist demagogue, may well swing this referendum. If they decide to go I respect their decision but I hope our politicians play hardball, particularly on issues like currency union and border controls, in the independence negotiations. I think that the complacency of the UK government on this issue in the period leading up to the referendum has been a huge mistake - there appear to be no proper contingency plans in place in the event of a Yes vote and the devolution options seem hastily put together and not properly thought through (particularly in terms of the position with the rest of the UK).
SCOTLAND on 10:48 - Sep 18 with 1228 viewsloftboy

SCOTLAND on 10:40 - Sep 18 by StraightR

I can't help feeling the nation as a whole would be better if the Scots stay, though I accept that their dislike of the English is visceral and, whipped up by a skilled and opportunist demagogue, may well swing this referendum. If they decide to go I respect their decision but I hope our politicians play hardball, particularly on issues like currency union and border controls, in the independence negotiations. I think that the complacency of the UK government on this issue in the period leading up to the referendum has been a huge mistake - there appear to be no proper contingency plans in place in the event of a Yes vote and the devolution options seem hastily put together and not properly thought through (particularly in terms of the position with the rest of the UK).

All the scots I know who live in England are amongst the nicest people I know, don't know any that hat us English.

SCOTLAND on 10:50 - Sep 18 with 1079 viewsTacticalR

SCOTLAND on 10:27 - Sep 18 by Clive_Anderson

Left wingers seem to think that any system that allows right wingers into power needs to be stopped. Just have a look in the Guardian where they are complaining what a disaster an English parliament would be because it means that the Tories might get in. Only interested in democracy when it suits them.

As for Scotland, having read a lot of the opinion polls a lot of Scots are saying their heart says yes but their head says no. Well if their heart isn't in the union and they need paying off to stay then it is pretty worthless in my opinion.

No doubt Labour is worried about being reduced to a permanent minority (it's a little bit academic as Labour has no ideas anyway).

However, anyone reading your 'right-wingers are like clubbed baby seals' posts might think that Thatcher hadn't abolished the GLC.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2014 10:51]

Air hostess clique

SCOTLAND on 10:55 - Sep 18 with 1063 viewsClive_Anderson

SCOTLAND on 10:50 - Sep 18 by TacticalR

No doubt Labour is worried about being reduced to a permanent minority (it's a little bit academic as Labour has no ideas anyway).

However, anyone reading your 'right-wingers are like clubbed baby seals' posts might think that Thatcher hadn't abolished the GLC.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2014 10:51]

What are you on about? I don't recall ever mentioning anything about the GLC.

And I think you need to get over Thatcher now she's dead.
SCOTLAND on 11:00 - Sep 18 with 1056 viewsAunt_Nelly

SCOTLAND on 10:55 - Sep 18 by Clive_Anderson

SCOTLAND on 11:01 - Sep 18 with 1054 viewswillis1980

SCOTLAND on 10:40 - Sep 18 by StraightR

the SNP played a very clever game, they delayed the referendum to draw in younger votes, timed it after the commonwealth games, waited for the economy to improve etc..

but i agree westminster has been complacent, however, i dont think bowing to scotland does the union any favours. they seem to be under the impression theyre some sort of economic power house.
SCOTLAND on 11:07 - Sep 18 with 1032 viewsTacticalR

SCOTLAND on 10:55 - Sep 18 by Clive_Anderson

Of course you didn't mention the GLC, because Thatcher's abolition of that institution is a concrete example from the not too distant past that is completely contradictory to your theory that 'Left wingers seem to think that any system that allows right wingers into power needs to be stopped'.

Air hostess clique

SCOTLAND on 11:14 - Sep 18 with 1012 viewsBlackCrowe

Stop Press - Andy Murray just announced that he's backing the Yes campaign.

From 480 miles way in his 8 bedroom mansion in Oxshott, Surrey. Assume you'll be giving back your GB Olympic gold medal then Andy - no, thought not. Good luck at Wimbledon next year.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

SCOTLAND on 11:14 - Sep 18 with 1011 viewsQPRMUSO

I know the sensible vote is a No but I so badly would love to see a Yes and then the rest of Britain shuv it up their kilts, take all the over politicised jobs back from ship building to Faslane and bill them an equal share of the national debt straight off, see how they cope with that. If they think their answer is in those weasels Salmond and Sturgeon then good luck to them. I for one, given the distain I have witnessed for the English in the past few months will never go to Scotland again and I will start drinking Suntory from Japan or Jamesons. Bowwocks to them.
SCOTLAND on 11:16 - Sep 18 with 1006 viewsBlackCrowe

SCOTLAND on 11:14 - Sep 18 by QPRMUSO

I know the sensible vote is a No but I so badly would love to see a Yes and then the rest of Britain shuv it up their kilts, take all the over politicised jobs back from ship building to Faslane and bill them an equal share of the national debt straight off, see how they cope with that. If they think their answer is in those weasels Salmond and Sturgeon then good luck to them. I for one, given the distain I have witnessed for the English in the past few months will never go to Scotland again and I will start drinking Suntory from Japan or Jamesons. Bowwocks to them.

I would love echo that sentiment of never going again, but I'm off to the Ryder Cup next week. Does that make me a slag? I think it does.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

SCOTLAND on 11:17 - Sep 18 with 1003 viewsClive_Anderson

SCOTLAND on 11:07 - Sep 18 by TacticalR

Of course you didn't mention the GLC, because Thatcher's abolition of that institution is a concrete example from the not too distant past that is completely contradictory to your theory that 'Left wingers seem to think that any system that allows right wingers into power needs to be stopped'.

I sometimes wonder how exactly your brain works. Not very logically is my conclusion.
SCOTLAND on 11:28 - Sep 18 with 972 viewsElHoop

SCOTLAND on 11:14 - Sep 18 by QPRMUSO

We've got our own whisky now anyway. It's meant to be good:

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024