Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stadiums, Then and Now 02:37 - Dec 23 with 6074 viewsBrianMcCarthy

http://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2014/dec/22/football-stadiums

Very enjoyable quiz.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Stadiums, Then and Now on 16:59 - Dec 23 with 1944 viewsexiled_dictator

I got Loftus Road, but that's it.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Stadiums, Then and Now on 17:10 - Dec 23 with 1940 viewsKonk

Stadiums, Then and Now on 16:48 - Dec 23 by MrSheen

Is Cowdenbeath where the stock cars get bigger crowds than the football?

Yep. How brilliant is having tyres round the edge of the pitch? Magic.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2014 17:40]

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Stadiums, Then and Now on 17:39 - Dec 23 with 1913 viewsflynnbo

Stadiums, Then and Now on 10:42 - Dec 23 by Rangersw12

9/10 Got St Andrews wrong

Same here.
Stadiums, Then and Now on 23:55 - Dec 23 with 1860 viewsHadders

Stadiums, Then and Now on 10:58 - Dec 23 by Konk

9/10: Fuc ked-up on Villa Park/Ibrox too — that’ll teach me not to look at the options.

I was looking at Simon Inglis’ brilliant book the other day and feeling awfully nostalgic for a time when every ground was unique and instantly recognisable. Mismatched, idiosyncratic and occasionally weird, but lovely in their own way. I don’t miss open ends when the weather’s sh it, but I do miss turning-up at a new ground and it being utterly individual. Who would swap the seventeen separate stands at the Manor Ground for the three-sided, characterless out of town job Oxford play at now?

It sounds pretty tragic, but I loved visiting different stadiums during my teen years in the 80s, and that was the first book I ever bought,Konk; it`s still on my shelf. Inglis clearly understands what is so special about old grounds- the character, soul and memories they hold. I am so glad I experienced standing on the terraces in atmospheric places like Highbury, The Valley, Craven Cottage and the old Loft- that seems like such a long-distant era now and makes me feel ancient, though I`m "only" 46.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2014 23:56]
Stadiums, Then and Now on 02:31 - Dec 24 with 1829 viewsSonofNorfolt

Every season a few more are lost, I'm unsure whose ground is to go at the end of '14-15? Mainly non league but important nonetheless.
Stadiums, Then and Now on 03:56 - Dec 24 with 1817 viewsade_qpr

Stadiums, Then and Now on 11:03 - Dec 23 by simmo

Loftus Road looks exactly the same. It was like this summer but in black and white.

Light tower did it for me, reminded me of the old programs

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Stadiums, Then and Now on 08:11 - Dec 24 with 1793 viewsKonk

Stadiums, Then and Now on 23:55 - Dec 23 by Hadders

It sounds pretty tragic, but I loved visiting different stadiums during my teen years in the 80s, and that was the first book I ever bought,Konk; it`s still on my shelf. Inglis clearly understands what is so special about old grounds- the character, soul and memories they hold. I am so glad I experienced standing on the terraces in atmospheric places like Highbury, The Valley, Craven Cottage and the old Loft- that seems like such a long-distant era now and makes me feel ancient, though I`m "only" 46.
[Post edited 23 Dec 2014 23:56]

I agree with all of that, and there's something utterly brilliant about walking down a normal street, turning the corner and finding a football ground. Most of the new grounds don't do it for me because they're dull, characterless and cheap looking, and also because they're stuck out on some retail park in the middle of nowhere, where they feel totally disconnected from the heart of their local town.

I've only done three new grounds this season: Rotherham, which is new, but at least in the middle of town, so bearable, Queen of the South, which is a 15 mins walk from town, but had bags of character, and which I loved, and Oxford's Kassam, which has no character at all, is shi t to get to by public transport, has nothing nearby other than a cinema and a couple of sh it restaurants, and which took 45 minutes to get away from with a 5,000 crowd. I couldn't do that every other week.

Like you, I feel very fortunate to have got in at the end of all those magic grounds and their sense of history, and also to be part of the last generation of kids who could go to games - even top of the table, top division games - without adults, and where all but the very poorest could still do so without having to go without other things.

Stadiums, Then and Now on 08:23 - Dec 24 with 1789 viewsKonk

Stadiums, Then and Now on 02:31 - Dec 24 by SonofNorfolt

Every season a few more are lost, I'm unsure whose ground is to go at the end of '14-15? Mainly non league but important nonetheless.

I agree, mate. I just love the idea of standing in a spot or sitting in the seats in the Johnny Haynes stand down at Fulham, and thinking that people were doing exactly the same thing 100+ years ago...I like the permanence of it and the sense of continuity. I really do think it's a huge loss when a club moves out of town and into a remote field. All the local businesses that suffer (especially pubs), being walkable, close to the station etc...however basic their previous grounds were, I just couldn't be ar sed to go to somewhere like Northampton, Oxford or Reading more than a few times a season if I supported them.

Login to get fewer ads

Stadiums, Then and Now on 10:23 - Dec 24 with 1767 viewsCamberleyR

Stadiums, Then and Now on 03:23 - Dec 23 by QPR1882

9/10

Got number 4 wrong, was fooled by the badge on the stadium ( looked like Villas badge so i opted for Villa Park )

Made exactly the same mistake.

Really impressive how they've managed to get an identical position modern day shot of the old pictures.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Stadiums, Then and Now on 10:53 - Dec 24 with 1755 viewspaulparker

Stadiums, Then and Now on 08:23 - Dec 24 by Konk

I agree, mate. I just love the idea of standing in a spot or sitting in the seats in the Johnny Haynes stand down at Fulham, and thinking that people were doing exactly the same thing 100+ years ago...I like the permanence of it and the sense of continuity. I really do think it's a huge loss when a club moves out of town and into a remote field. All the local businesses that suffer (especially pubs), being walkable, close to the station etc...however basic their previous grounds were, I just couldn't be ar sed to go to somewhere like Northampton, Oxford or Reading more than a few times a season if I supported them.

Totally agree Konk, there was something quite magical about seeing floodlights poking out of a stand through an estate , seeing different terraces and different shaped grounds , smoke from fags and hot dog stands in the air pubs on most corners , oh and the smell of horse sh*t
the Mrs on Saturday said to me whilst walking to the ground how she missus Highbury
(she is a gooner btw) and that we are lucky to have what we have still (she hates the emirates) ,
can vouch for Northampton BTW its in the middle of no where with a TGI as the local pub , the old stadium had about 12 pubs in the vicinity , no one goes its a complete waste of time ,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Stadiums, Then and Now on 11:14 - Dec 24 with 1746 viewsKonk

Stadiums, Then and Now on 10:53 - Dec 24 by paulparker

Totally agree Konk, there was something quite magical about seeing floodlights poking out of a stand through an estate , seeing different terraces and different shaped grounds , smoke from fags and hot dog stands in the air pubs on most corners , oh and the smell of horse sh*t
the Mrs on Saturday said to me whilst walking to the ground how she missus Highbury
(she is a gooner btw) and that we are lucky to have what we have still (she hates the emirates) ,
can vouch for Northampton BTW its in the middle of no where with a TGI as the local pub , the old stadium had about 12 pubs in the vicinity , no one goes its a complete waste of time ,

Arsenal achieved a miracle building a massive new stadium a stone's throw from Highbury, but it just doesn't seem like a football ground. Whether it's the crowd, the sterile atmosphere or the fact that everything's so clean and comfortable...it's just not right!

I'll admit a roof would have been handy on more than a few occasions in the past, and watching games through fuc k-off fences wasn't great, but Northampton being a great example, we swapped a three-sided, ramshackle ground with no "facilities" in the middle of town for a breeze block/tin shack in the middle of nowhere. I can understand the economics behind selling town/city centre land and moving to the wilderness, but it's not for me.

Stadiums, Then and Now on 16:42 - Dec 24 with 1698 viewsterryb

I'm another one who got Villa wrong. Even though my initial reaction was it was Ibrox!

The give away on St Andrews was the advert for M&B beers. Birmingham brewery so it had to be that one!
Stadiums, Then and Now on 16:56 - Dec 24 with 1691 viewsMetallica_Hoop

5/10

This is what you call a terrace, think it held 40,000. (of top of head)

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Stadiums, Then and Now on 23:30 - Dec 24 with 1666 viewsrrrspricey

9/10...thought no 8 was Tw@tford not Brum
Stadiums, Then and Now on 09:42 - Dec 25 with 1631 viewsterryb

Stadiums, Then and Now on 16:56 - Dec 24 by Metallica_Hoop

5/10

This is what you call a terrace, think it held 40,000. (of top of head)

Metallica,

Is that Charlton - Blackburn last game of the season in '57?

A second division game with Charlton needing a draw to be promoted & Blackburn needing to win to be promoted.

My father was a Blackburn fan, so I remember being at the game as a four year old with all my family. Memory tells me the crowd was over 70k & Blackburn were winning 4-1 with five minutes left & just about held on for a 4-3 win.

My only other visit to The Valley was for the Rodney inspired 3-2 FA Cup win in '70. Two brilliant days!
Stadiums, Then and Now on 10:00 - Dec 25 with 1619 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Stadiums, Then and Now on 09:42 - Dec 25 by terryb

Metallica,

Is that Charlton - Blackburn last game of the season in '57?

A second division game with Charlton needing a draw to be promoted & Blackburn needing to win to be promoted.

My father was a Blackburn fan, so I remember being at the game as a four year old with all my family. Memory tells me the crowd was over 70k & Blackburn were winning 4-1 with five minutes left & just about held on for a 4-3 win.

My only other visit to The Valley was for the Rodney inspired 3-2 FA Cup win in '70. Two brilliant days!

I've just looked up the image. I knew it was Charlton as I love that old terrace.

"The Valley used to attract massive crowds - and this fine picture of a match between Charlton and Blackburn in 1958 gives us some idea of how packed terraces at the south London ground used to be"

Was it that one? (they often get the year wrong) Well remembered mate!

Stadiums, Then and Now on 10:16 - Dec 25 with 1619 viewsterryb

Stadiums, Then and Now on 10:00 - Dec 25 by Metallica_Hoop

I've just looked up the image. I knew it was Charlton as I love that old terrace.

"The Valley used to attract massive crowds - and this fine picture of a match between Charlton and Blackburn in 1958 gives us some idea of how packed terraces at the south London ground used to be"

Just as likely to be me that got the year wrong!

Thank you Sir. I shall drink a glass in memory of my father today. A great family memory for me!
Stadiums, Then and Now on 10:26 - Dec 25 with 1613 viewsTheBlob

Football grounds are wonderful,magical places.I have a passion as well for the non-league structures,each as quirky as the area itself.
Have a butchers...

http://www.pyramidpassion.co.uk/html/ground_guide_a-z.html

http://footballgroundsfrenzy2.com/

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Stadiums, Then and Now on 10:52 - Dec 25 with 1605 viewsAgedR

Stadiums, Then and Now on 08:11 - Dec 24 by Konk

I agree with all of that, and there's something utterly brilliant about walking down a normal street, turning the corner and finding a football ground. Most of the new grounds don't do it for me because they're dull, characterless and cheap looking, and also because they're stuck out on some retail park in the middle of nowhere, where they feel totally disconnected from the heart of their local town.

I've only done three new grounds this season: Rotherham, which is new, but at least in the middle of town, so bearable, Queen of the South, which is a 15 mins walk from town, but had bags of character, and which I loved, and Oxford's Kassam, which has no character at all, is shi t to get to by public transport, has nothing nearby other than a cinema and a couple of sh it restaurants, and which took 45 minutes to get away from with a 5,000 crowd. I couldn't do that every other week.

Like you, I feel very fortunate to have got in at the end of all those magic grounds and their sense of history, and also to be part of the last generation of kids who could go to games - even top of the table, top division games - without adults, and where all but the very poorest could still do so without having to go without other things.

Went to Griffin Park with some Bee supporting mates last season (before they hit the big time). It was like a throwback, in a very positive way. The bar in the Braemer Rd end is like someone's front room. 20 minutes of standing on the terraces and we all adjourned to it for the rest of the afternoon. Very pleasant day out. It'll be gone soon, for some lego building in Kew. Which is a real shame.

For some reason I was fond of Gay Meadow, with the statues facing the opposite direction to the pitch. Saw Rangers play out a spectacularly dull 0.0 there in the 80s.

This thread makes me all the more protective of Loftus Rd, and also in a rather odd way Craven Cottage.

Stamford Bridge can go to fuxk though.

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Stadiums, Then and Now on 11:16 - Dec 25 with 1593 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Stadiums, Then and Now on 10:26 - Dec 25 by TheBlob

Football grounds are wonderful,magical places.I have a passion as well for the non-league structures,each as quirky as the area itself.
Have a butchers...

http://www.pyramidpassion.co.uk/html/ground_guide_a-z.html

http://footballgroundsfrenzy2.com/

Nice link that first one.

Love the old wooden shed complete with Armada beacon at this one. the new stand looks a bit soulless

http://www.pyramidpassion.co.uk/html/st__margaretsbury.html

Stadiums, Then and Now on 13:44 - Dec 25 with 1572 viewsTheBlob

Stadiums, Then and Now on 11:16 - Dec 25 by Metallica_Hoop

Nice link that first one.

Love the old wooden shed complete with Armada beacon at this one. the new stand looks a bit soulless

http://www.pyramidpassion.co.uk/html/st__margaretsbury.html

The stand up at Great Yarmouth is pretty spectacular.

There's book out about the lost grounds of Kent which is rather good - my old stamping ground.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Stadiums, Then and Now on 19:34 - Dec 25 with 1525 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Stadiums, Then and Now on 13:44 - Dec 25 by TheBlob

The stand up at Great Yarmouth is pretty spectacular.

There's book out about the lost grounds of Kent which is rather good - my old stamping ground.

It looks more like a GWR station in devon.

Beautiful.

Ah just scrolled to the bottom
[Post edited 25 Dec 2014 19:35]

Stadiums, Then and Now on 19:51 - Dec 25 with 1508 viewsMrSheen

Stadiums, Then and Now on 10:00 - Dec 25 by Metallica_Hoop

I remember going there in 1980. That terrace had more weeds on it than people. The Rangers fans left our end early in the second half to cross it towards the home fans, the Charlton fans sallied forth, and both sides threw bits of wood at each other across the concrete for a few seconds before the plod intervened.
Stadiums, Then and Now on 20:58 - Dec 25 with 1485 viewsTacticalR

Stadiums, Then and Now on 19:51 - Dec 25 by MrSheen

I remember going there in 1980. That terrace had more weeds on it than people. The Rangers fans left our end early in the second half to cross it towards the home fans, the Charlton fans sallied forth, and both sides threw bits of wood at each other across the concrete for a few seconds before the plod intervened.

Yes, that big terrace at Charlton ended up as a crumbling ruin:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/image_galleries/valley_old_gallery.shtml?4

Incidentally there is a proposed scheme for Charlton to move to a site on the Greenwich Peninsula, near the 02 Arena.
[Post edited 25 Dec 2014 20:59]

Air hostess clique

Stadiums, Then and Now on 21:31 - Dec 25 with 1470 viewsQPR1882

Stadiums, Then and Now on 20:58 - Dec 25 by TacticalR

Yes, that big terrace at Charlton ended up as a crumbling ruin:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/image_galleries/valley_old_gallery.shtml?4

Incidentally there is a proposed scheme for Charlton to move to a site on the Greenwich Peninsula, near the 02 Arena.
[Post edited 25 Dec 2014 20:59]

Stood there a few times, never saw it anywhere near half full. Must have been amazing standing either end and looking at it full.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024