Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stadiums, Then and Now 02:37 - Dec 23 with 6073 viewsBrianMcCarthy

http://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2014/dec/22/football-stadiums

Very enjoyable quiz.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Stadiums, Then and Now on 21:45 - Dec 25 with 616 viewsHadders

Just want to say how much I`ve enjoyed reading this thread; it`s lovely to find people who enjoy this aspect of the game as I do. Also, the reference to Queen of the South made me reflect on what an unusual and poetic name that is for a club. I recently found myself wondering about our name. "Queens Park" was a given, I guess, but I wonder if there is any record of who came up with "Rangers"? I suppose it could as easily have been Rovers or Wanderers, Athletic or Albion...
[Post edited 26 Dec 2014 11:02]
Stadiums, Then and Now on 23:49 - Dec 25 with 573 viewsJuzzie

Stadiums, Then and Now on 21:45 - Dec 25 by Hadders

Just want to say how much I`ve enjoyed reading this thread; it`s lovely to find people who enjoy this aspect of the game as I do. Also, the reference to Queen of the South made me reflect on what an unusual and poetic name that is for a club. I recently found myself wondering about our name. "Queens Park" was a given, I guess, but I wonder if there is any record of who came up with "Rangers"? I suppose it could as easily have been Rovers or Wanderers, Athletic or Albion...
[Post edited 26 Dec 2014 11:02]

If I recall correctly St Jude's Institute merged with Christchurch Rangers.

'Rangers' was kept and Queen's Park Rangers were born.

NB: use of the apostrophe is correct.
[Post edited 25 Dec 2014 23:51]
Stadiums, Then and Now on 10:14 - Dec 26 with 514 viewsBrianMcCarthy

This has turned into a great thread.

My favourite away ground was The Dell - quirky, atmospheric, good pitch. Was never too impressed by the big grounds, except Highbury, which simply reeked of history.

Least favourite was Boundary Park with its Baltic temperatures, tepid Bovril and stunningly $hite pies. On trips to Oldham I would start shivering as we passed the Watford Gap and not thaw out for ten or eleven days afterwards.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Stadiums, Then and Now on 12:58 - Dec 26 with 483 viewsPunteR

5/10. Rubbish innit.
I wish i went to more away games in the past. My oldest lad(13)wants to start going away so maybe i will start.
What stadiums still retain the old school atmosphere or have any sort of decent atmosphere in the Premier league?
Goodison,White Hart Lane?
Cant beat Loftus road surely.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024