Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On another lighter note 12:05 - Mar 6 with 5716 viewsdanehoop

I think some of you may remember that I took my eldest autistic son to his first QPR game at the end of November for his birthday to see us beat Leicester 3-2.

I had some lovely feedback from the posting, for which thank you to everyone. The good news is that my son has been badgering me to go again since the first game which he found the whole experience amazing.

This Saturday he is coming with me again to see us play Spuds (the box office again being brilliant in helping sort out tickets). I have tried to explain that it might be a slightly less upbeat event this time, but he is still very keen and looking forward to the whole afternoon. The build up starts with the train journey to Waterloo at 1300, meeting Jude on arrival, followed by face paint and hot dogs (it helps autistic kids to have a clear routine and explanation of what will happen so they know what to expect and can prepare). Just hoping that QPR now win so I keep that part of the experience consistent for him.

Never knowingly understood

On another lighter note on 12:08 - Mar 6 with 4741 viewsQPunkR

If we manage another 3-2 win then he's obviously a good luck charm and should possibly take Shite-Phillips' space on the bench!

QPR - "shit but local"

On another lighter note on 12:12 - Mar 6 with 4724 viewsdanehoop

Yep, he has hyper mobility in his left leg and dyspraxia affecting his coordination, no spacial awareness and is unable to process multiple complex sources of information. I am still quite sure the only reason Harry didnt sign up was purely on age grounds as he is only 10 years old. Otherwise he seems to have all of the finest attributes of Bagpusses fine quality signings .
[Post edited 6 Mar 2015 14:57]

On another lighter note on 12:18 - Mar 6 with 4713 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

It seems this form of child abuse will never end.

Hope he enjoys it!
On another lighter note on 12:29 - Mar 6 with 4696 viewsRangersw12

Excellent , look forward to hearing how you get on

I'm taking my lad to the West Ham Game unfortunately his first game was Hull at home on the opening day of the season so he hasn't seen us win yet !
On another lighter note on 12:49 - Mar 6 with 4670 viewssimmo

Brilliant news! Let us know how he gets on.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

On another lighter note on 13:21 - Mar 6 with 4633 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Nice, I hope it goes well.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

On another lighter note on 15:12 - Mar 6 with 4547 viewsBrianMcCarthy

That's great, Dane.

Hope the day goes well for you both.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

On another lighter note on 15:24 - Mar 6 with 4534 viewsPhildo

Lovely stuff. My cousins son is autistic, in his early thirties and lives in a supported community. He is a massive Ranger and a season ticket holder. He would have first come about your sons age.Very knowledgeable lad on his football too.
Login to get fewer ads

On another lighter note on 15:28 - Mar 6 with 4530 viewsDiscodroids

magic dane.

cant you take him to something less painful , like a human rights seminar with shami chakribati and emily thornberry?

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

On another lighter note on 16:11 - Mar 6 with 4503 viewsGloucs_R

Nothing can prepare him for life as a QPR supporter Danehoop but the trials and tribulations of supporting this club make me what I am !!

Poll: Are we staying up?

On another lighter note on 16:51 - Mar 6 with 4462 viewsAgedR

I might have mentioned before Danehoop, but, my autistic son has been a season ticket holder since the age of 9 (he's soon to turn 12).

He has accepted that losing most weeks is the norm and now revels in it in a typically Rangers sardonic way. He also now includes a trip to the Blue & White bar in his match day routine expectations (which allows Dad to chase down a small scotch with a pint of the black stuff).

I really hope you have a great time tomorrow, my son is a constant surprise, delight, education and source of pride for me, as I'm sure yours is for you.

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

On another lighter note on 16:58 - Mar 6 with 4453 viewslondonscottish

Excellent

Sounds not unlike like my routine with my kids

Hope you both have a blast.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

On another lighter note on 17:41 - Mar 6 with 4430 viewsterryb

Brilliant Dane.

This follows on from my favourite post of 2014.

Hope you have a great day & please let us know how it went.

I will even accept another loss if your son has a good day! Would prefer him to still be our lucky mascot though!
On another lighter note on 19:17 - Mar 6 with 4386 viewsRanger78

Great.

Enjoy the day. Here's hopin he's a good luck charm
On another lighter note on 20:51 - Mar 6 with 4348 viewssmegma

Great to hear Stuart, hope he has a wonderful day irrespective of the score. If youre in the lower loft i may pop downstairs to catch up with you.
On another lighter note on 21:46 - Mar 6 with 4330 viewsYorkRanger

Nice story Dane, hope he is a lucky charm
On another lighter note on 22:32 - Mar 6 with 4298 viewsFredManRave

I hope it is as upbeat as last time and that the result is the same. However, irrespective of what happens on the pitch I'm sure both of you will have a great time and I'm sure he´ll continue to badger you to take him back...
[Post edited 6 Mar 2015 22:33]

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

On another lighter note on 22:41 - Mar 6 with 4280 viewsDeptfordR

Brilliant dane, my son is autistic and is now 10 and we have season tix, if anything else it's good to do something that encourages him to let off some steam. He witnessed our finest hour (in his and my time and I'm 40!) at wembley. My wife and I find ourselves lucky that it's mainly spatial awareness and personal boundaries that are the main issue.

Big love to you and your son and I hope he sees another victory!
On another lighter note on 22:42 - Mar 6 with 4280 viewsdanehoop

On another lighter note on 20:51 - Mar 6 by smegma

Great to hear Stuart, hope he has a wonderful day irrespective of the score. If youre in the lower loft i may pop downstairs to catch up with you.

Yes mate we are in JL block in the lower loft tomorrow. In row C again which must be a good sign that is what we had in November.

On another lighter note on 09:44 - Mar 7 with 4189 viewsDiscodroids

On another lighter note on 16:51 - Mar 6 by AgedR

I might have mentioned before Danehoop, but, my autistic son has been a season ticket holder since the age of 9 (he's soon to turn 12).

He has accepted that losing most weeks is the norm and now revels in it in a typically Rangers sardonic way. He also now includes a trip to the Blue & White bar in his match day routine expectations (which allows Dad to chase down a small scotch with a pint of the black stuff).

I really hope you have a great time tomorrow, my son is a constant surprise, delight, education and source of pride for me, as I'm sure yours is for you.

awww ..i got a ready brek glow when i read this post.

great stuff.

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

On another lighter note on 10:14 - Mar 7 with 4174 viewsbillericaydicky

Lovely post, I really hope he enjoys the day and brings us luck again!

U Rsss!
On another lighter note on 23:28 - Mar 7 with 4115 viewsdanehoop

OK, that it has to be said was a much tougher sell.

We followed a similar routine to the game, my son told me on the way to the station it was a sunny day and sunny days were always good ones. I had warned him that this might be a difficult game, but he was still very positive. We hit Waterloo and had a happy meal at McDonalds then shot off to White City.

First inclining that he was now a seasoned R emerged as we walked out from the station and some git tried to flog us half and half scarfs. Met with total bafflement by my son. That makes no sense was his comment. Then the touts who were out in force caused another question along the lines of why is that man walking along talking to himself, he seems very strange. Now that from an autistic lad making such a judgmental comment speaks volumes about the touts foot soldiers around the area.

We hit the ground, JL Block, Row C. Great view and good people around us. Dad has copy of AUKTRs - Check.Met Spark and Jude, Check. Face Paint - Check. Hot Dog Meal - check. Blazing sunshine - check, hold on, wasn't quite expecting that, but no problems we have hats on. Ear Defenders on and we are ready to go.

Then the problems started. Dad, why has it taken three goes to start the game? No idea son, guess the ref is nervous. From that point onwards the extremely low barrier was set for the day. Last time we came to the ground I could explain what's happening or why a decision was made by the ref. This time around I ended resorting to explaining that I and apparently the ref had little idea about the rules or his vision was not working. Possibly one of the worst set of officials at any game I have seen in my 30 odd years following the Rs.

Then we had the fouls and play acting. Dad why is it that the Spurs player can kick Charlie Austin and that's OK? Dad why did that man fall over when no one was near him. Seriously, if an autistic 10 year old is asking those questions what was going on? Again trying to keep it positive as long as I could before my son said, so are they cheating? Sort of, was the best I could come up with.

When they scored we had initially disappointment. When the second went in, I asked him if he wanted to leave. No and absolutely why would we? We scored, cue mayhem, pigbag and jumping around. Then we laboured, Spurs cheated and the ref went into incompetence overdrive. I knew it wasn't going to happen. My son knew it wasn't going to happen. The whistle blows. He is upset. I am too, but hey I have been there done that for 30 odd years. Move on and add another bit to character building. I wasn't quite prepared for the angst and upset that followed.

First we had irritation - Dad why didn't they substitute the ref as he was so bad? Then we had, if you knew we were going to lose (I hadn't said that) why did we come? Why do you support a team if they lose? I knew I was in trouble at this point and we had to have a serious and in depth discussion. The lows make the highs much better when they happen. No, not convincing him. I don't want to go again. Why? because of the cheating, bad refs and don't like losing. Another worry. The tears start at White City.

By the time we reach Waterloo, we have established that QPR aren't quite good enough for the Premiership this year. We have a clear agreement that Chelsea and the devils own bottom burps and so are all their fans. Manchester United fans living in London make no sense at all and should be treated in the same category as Chelsea fans. We know that losing hurts and you cant win all the time (but it is always better to win if possible).

Getting close to Epsom, we have got from I don't want to go again, to maybe if we go every 3 or 4 months that will be OK. We have also consumed a packet or crisps, read the end of the Wizard of Oz Book (it has a happy ending which is good) and a packet of strawberry chewits. By the time we walk in the door, its all a little better - it was a bad thing to have wasted money on the game, but next time might be better. Next time can we go to a game we will win? We can try son, we can try.

I thought about it since he has gone to bed. That is exactly how I feel when we lose. Its how I've felt many times as an R. Despair. Frustration. Annoyance at poor officiating (and it was staggeringly bad today). Determined I wont bother going back. Wondering why I spent the money in the first place. But ultimately, against all the odds, I am going to return. Optimism overruling common sense. He is still an R, probably even more an R than before. But we'd better improve next season.

On another lighter note on 23:38 - Mar 7 with 4100 viewstooting_hoop

On another lighter note on 23:28 - Mar 7 by danehoop

We followed a similar routine to the game, my son told me on the way to the station it was a sunny day and sunny days were always good ones. I had warned him that this might be a difficult game, but he was still very positive. We hit Waterloo and had a happy meal at McDonalds then shot off to White City.

First inclining that he was now a seasoned R emerged as we walked out from the station and some git tried to flog us half and half scarfs. Met with total bafflement by my son. That makes no sense was his comment. Then the touts who were out in force caused another question along the lines of why is that man walking along talking to himself, he seems very strange. Now that from an autistic lad making such a judgmental comment speaks volumes about the touts foot soldiers around the area.

We hit the ground, JL Block, Row C. Great view and good people around us. Dad has copy of AUKTRs - Check.Met Spark and Jude, Check. Face Paint - Check. Hot Dog Meal - check. Blazing sunshine - check, hold on, wasn't quite expecting that, but no problems we have hats on. Ear Defenders on and we are ready to go.

Then the problems started. Dad, why has it taken three goes to start the game? No idea son, guess the ref is nervous. From that point onwards the extremely low barrier was set for the day. Last time we came to the ground I could explain what's happening or why a decision was made by the ref. This time around I ended resorting to explaining that I and apparently the ref had little idea about the rules or his vision was not working. Possibly one of the worst set of officials at any game I have seen in my 30 odd years following the Rs.

Then we had the fouls and play acting. Dad why is it that the Spurs player can kick Charlie Austin and that's OK? Dad why did that man fall over when no one was near him. Seriously, if an autistic 10 year old is asking those questions what was going on? Again trying to keep it positive as long as I could before my son said, so are they cheating? Sort of, was the best I could come up with.

When they scored we had initially disappointment. When the second went in, I asked him if he wanted to leave. No and absolutely why would we? We scored, cue mayhem, pigbag and jumping around. Then we laboured, Spurs cheated and the ref went into incompetence overdrive. I knew it wasn't going to happen. My son knew it wasn't going to happen. The whistle blows. He is upset. I am too, but hey I have been there done that for 30 odd years. Move on and add another bit to character building. I wasn't quite prepared for the angst and upset that followed.

First we had irritation - Dad why didn't they substitute the ref as he was so bad? Then we had, if you knew we were going to lose (I hadn't said that) why did we come? Why do you support a team if they lose? I knew I was in trouble at this point and we had to have a serious and in depth discussion. The lows make the highs much better when they happen. No, not convincing him. I don't want to go again. Why? because of the cheating, bad refs and don't like losing. Another worry. The tears start at White City.

By the time we reach Waterloo, we have established that QPR aren't quite good enough for the Premiership this year. We have a clear agreement that Chelsea and the devils own bottom burps and so are all their fans. Manchester United fans living in London make no sense at all and should be treated in the same category as Chelsea fans. We know that losing hurts and you cant win all the time (but it is always better to win if possible).

Getting close to Epsom, we have got from I don't want to go again, to maybe if we go every 3 or 4 months that will be OK. We have also consumed a packet or crisps, read the end of the Wizard of Oz Book (it has a happy ending which is good) and a packet of strawberry chewits. By the time we walk in the door, its all a little better - it was a bad thing to have wasted money on the game, but next time might be better. Next time can we go to a game we will win? We can try son, we can try.

I thought about it since he has gone to bed. That is exactly how I feel when we lose. Its how I've felt many times as an R. Despair. Frustration. Annoyance at poor officiating (and it was staggeringly bad today). Determined I wont bother going back. Wondering why I spent the money in the first place. But ultimately, against all the odds, I am going to return. Optimism overruling common sense. He is still an R, probably even more an R than before. But we'd better improve next season.

Best post I've read in ages. Thanks.

Your comment that his feelings mirrored yours was exactly what I was thinking.

I love the way your son's perceptions are so clear. He clearly is an very bright lad.

Hope he enjoys his next trip a little more.

Follow me on Twitter @tootinghoop

On another lighter note on 23:55 - Mar 7 with 4080 viewsYorkRanger

On another lighter note on 23:28 - Mar 7 by danehoop

Great post Dane.
On another lighter note on 09:14 - Mar 8 with 3978 viewsmalcob

Super stuff sounds like a top little boy, good to see it didn't spoil his appetite.

I'd rather be in P block

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024