Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Give Ramsey the job 15:31 - Apr 12 with 26292 viewsGetMeRangers

After todays performance he deserves it
Give Ramsey the job on 20:56 - Apr 13 with 2447 viewsYorkRanger

Give Ramsey the job on 16:11 - Apr 13 by BazzaInTheLoft

This is a depressing thread.

Neither pro or anti. I'm just sure that I know very little about the man in 2 and a half months and not in a position to judge him 'archetypical caretaker manager' or 'not manager material' and such like. I couldn't even tell you his favourite cheese.

Unless you have been hiding Cato style at Harlington and Loftus Rd it's unlikely you know little more than fvck all either.

Just chill out, and let things unfold. There are no experts here, just hopeful fanatics.
[Post edited 13 Apr 2015 16:11]

I kind of agree with this. I like Ramsey, I like the way he conducts himself but I don't feel I know enough about him to commit for another season , irrespective of what Division we will be in. Would he be better than Warburton or Clement - who really knows. Let's see how the next 5 games play out, maybe all will become clearer....
Give Ramsey the job on 20:59 - Apr 13 with 2440 viewsjohncharles

Give Ramsey the job on 20:37 - Apr 13 by paulparker

ok 1st things first I have to apologise to those that I offended yesterday
to much pop and that outcome was not a good combo
as for Ramsey I still stick to the fact that he shouldn't be the manager next year
yes he is a good bloke and maybe he is a good coach but in my eyes never a manager
next year is our most important we have many out of contract and we need a fresh new team in what's more than likely going to be a championship season, we need a bloke with good contacts a bloke who has knowledge of the lower leagues
Warburton is that man is free has an eye for a player plays great football and maybe will have 2 promotions to his name in 2 full seasons, that's the bloke we should be after
as for Ramsey being this great tactical wizard , again I don't see it , compared to redcrapp yes he is but all ive seen is 4-4-2 knocking it long to Zamora , is that it
4-4-2 ?? , yes he has been left a pile of sh1t but we still cant keep a clean sheet and still cannot keep our concentration when it matters , that's down to the coach or manager to install
we have lost important games against Hull, Everton, Spurs Palace, games that we should have got more out of chuck in the fact we have lost last minute goals to villa & Chelsea , the football has been better mildly but not great ,
sorry to burst peoples bubble here but Ramsey will do nothing at Rangers , this is a big job we need the best not a stop gap ,

We've had the best (apparently) the biggest names. God save us from any more Hugheses and Redknapps. Ramsey will do me fine.

Strong and stable my arse.

Give Ramsey the job on 21:05 - Apr 13 with 2427 viewspaulparker

Give Ramsey the job on 20:59 - Apr 13 by johncharles

We've had the best (apparently) the biggest names. God save us from any more Hugheses and Redknapps. Ramsey will do me fine.

not asking for a big name fella
Warbuton, Robinson, Phil Parkinson, Keith Hill , would do for me
we need a forward thinking coach and a man who is going to rebuild our club from the bottom up
from what ive seen of Ramsey he isn't that man , maybe a good number 2 but that's about it

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Give Ramsey the job on 07:50 - Apr 14 with 2272 viewsterryb

Give Ramsey the job on 21:05 - Apr 13 by paulparker

not asking for a big name fella
Warbuton, Robinson, Phil Parkinson, Keith Hill , would do for me
we need a forward thinking coach and a man who is going to rebuild our club from the bottom up
from what ive seen of Ramsey he isn't that man , maybe a good number 2 but that's about it

Now this is a view I can understand.

I like Ramsey, but if the club considered any of the four names (or other of that type) PP has named to be better for our future I would be happy with their decision.

What would infuriate would be to replace CR with one of the many out of work "names" that are available.

It is the board that will determine out future & that is by looking long term rather than six weeks ahead. The next manager must know what direction he is to work towards.
Give Ramsey the job on 09:11 - Apr 14 with 2236 viewsNeil_SI

Give Ramsey the job on 15:00 - Apr 13 by adhoc_qpr

Given that wide, long term remit though, surely Warburton who has already been through a similar process with proven results at Brentford would also be a good fit?

Or Clement who has a deep affection for the club and could bring ideas and methodologies from the worlds best clubs to QPR?

Les Ferdinand will be the key player in sorting out the clubs long term infrastructure (training, scouting, youth, transfer policy etc) not the manager.

Ramsey ultimately was just the man who happened to be in the right place at the right time to get this gig, appointing him permanently without investigating all our options would be rash.

There's no doubt that Warburton has done very well, but I'm not as convinced as others that he'd be a good fit.

You have to take a step back and evaluate the bigger picture here, because why would any progressive and up and coming manager come here? What can Rangers offer them other than loads of money?

Or another way to look at it, is like this... Warburton's a man who has certain expectations on how things should be done, he's also previously worked as a Sporting Director, but has fallen out with people at the clubs he's been at because of differences of opinion.

He left Watford in February 2010 because he fell out with one or two people there, he publicly commented about his disappointment and annoyance that he didn't get the Brentford job first time around, when it went to Uwe Rösler instead and then he became Sporting Director. He admits he rowed with Rösler every day before eventually replacing him in the hot seat.

West Bromwich Albion were a progressive well run football club, and interviewed him for the Director of Football role there, but pulled out, and it's since been announced that he's leaving Brentford because of a slight difference of opinion.

Given the way QPR are and how they're run, what makes you think that wouldn't be the outcome for him here?

Don't forget that Warburton joined a very stable and well run football club at Brentford either — the importance of that cannot be under-estimated, which is not the case here. If he's unable to reconcile his slight differences there, I just can't see how he'd cope with the bipolar nature of the board here. That doesn't mean he's in the wrong of course, but I see a collision course waiting to happen.

The board and the manager have to share the same vision, and Warburton has proved that if the vision doesn't meet his, even if there are slight differences, then he's not going to play ball.

Rangers are in an awkward position, because you have to build something and employ people who buy into that vision, but the owners are incapable of doing that because the right vision does not align with their agendas.

Currently we are in a situation where we have two people, Les Ferdinand and Chris Ramsey who have worked together before, who clearly like each other, who share and understand each others vision, who are currently here in the job — why not let them continue to work in tandem? Why take the risk of replacing Ramsey with someone who may not align with either Ferdinand or the board?

Make no mistake about this either, it's a stepping stone, there's so much work to be done that QPR need to put in place some foundations that will eventually entice the right people here. We are not there yet, so we can't expect the best out there to want to come here. We must walk before we can run. Ramsey may or may not be the long-term answer himself, but he can certainly play a part of what the long-term answer should be.

There is no guarantee for any manager that they can do it here, but someone has to start the process, someone has to be the stepping stone for the future. When I say sacrifice, it's about the right fit at the right time, and for me, Ramsey currently is the right fit at the right time for Rangers.

As for Paul Clement, he is the least experienced of the three people mentioned here. He has no managerial experience, no experience buying or selling players, and if we were relegated, we'd be in a position where we have an inexperienced Director of Football and an inexperienced manager trying to rebuild the squad. Is that wise or sensible?

He might have ideas from what he's seen, but that's one thing and Real Madrid, Paris Saint-Germain or Chelsea's of this world are clubs that a financial powerhouses, exactly the type of clubs the owners would love to be, with all the glitz, glamour and high profile names and attention.

Do those clubs have a great track record of developing players, or just buying them? Chelsea stockpile them, how many of them come through the ranks? Not many. Instead they're sent out on loan to play football to get their development. But what those clubs do have already is infrastructure in place, has he ever worked somewhere similar to our predicament?

Now I'm not adverse to other candidates, even the ones mentioned here, but I don't necessarily understand the love-in for some of them. Based on what? Why do some people think these guys will do any better than Ramsey or are any better qualified?

Ramsey right now for example, has managed in the Premier League, and neither of those two have. He's already here and getting the experience he needs under his belt.

Some have argued that Ramsey doesn't have that much experience either, but he has. He may not have enough at this level, but neither do most of the other names mentioned. But he does have plenty of coaching and managerial experience both at home and abroad. He's worked at various levels for the national team, and obviously has a track record for developing younger players.

Perhaps he knows a thing or two about many of the younger players around the country, especially after 10 years at Tottenham working in their reserves and academy as well as working for England at Under 16 to Under 20's levels.

Likewise, the flip side to all of this, is when you're looking for somebody you need the timing to be right. It may well be that someone who has seen, done and experienced some of the things we need, feel they don't need to revisit that to further their careers. There may be some great candidates out there, who've done well and helped build up some clubs, but who see QPR's position as a step down rather than a challenge.

As ever, it's more to do with the way the board and owners run the club than the managers themselves, it's they who need to change, it's they who need to make sure the environment is right so that many more managerial candidates make sense and see progression here.

Right now, when you look at QPR, what do you see? You see a reactive club, always responding from one public crisis to the next, whose owner goes from one scale to the other with his philosophies, visions and statements, with very little in between.

You hear all this talk about future, vision, culture, philosophy and stability, but the proof is in the pudding — we've gone through three managers in four seasons and God knows how many players and teams. If I were a progressive manager looking for my next step, I'd take a very dim view of that, and take anything I heard from the club as a pinch of salt.

Promoting from within and giving opportunity would send the first message out. Do it for the health of the football club, because, as I said, that's more important at this point in time than first team results.
Give Ramsey the job on 09:28 - Apr 14 with 2223 viewsGetMeRangers

Give Ramsey the job on 09:11 - Apr 14 by Neil_SI

There's no doubt that Warburton has done very well, but I'm not as convinced as others that he'd be a good fit.

You have to take a step back and evaluate the bigger picture here, because why would any progressive and up and coming manager come here? What can Rangers offer them other than loads of money?

Or another way to look at it, is like this... Warburton's a man who has certain expectations on how things should be done, he's also previously worked as a Sporting Director, but has fallen out with people at the clubs he's been at because of differences of opinion.

He left Watford in February 2010 because he fell out with one or two people there, he publicly commented about his disappointment and annoyance that he didn't get the Brentford job first time around, when it went to Uwe Rösler instead and then he became Sporting Director. He admits he rowed with Rösler every day before eventually replacing him in the hot seat.

West Bromwich Albion were a progressive well run football club, and interviewed him for the Director of Football role there, but pulled out, and it's since been announced that he's leaving Brentford because of a slight difference of opinion.

Given the way QPR are and how they're run, what makes you think that wouldn't be the outcome for him here?

Don't forget that Warburton joined a very stable and well run football club at Brentford either — the importance of that cannot be under-estimated, which is not the case here. If he's unable to reconcile his slight differences there, I just can't see how he'd cope with the bipolar nature of the board here. That doesn't mean he's in the wrong of course, but I see a collision course waiting to happen.

The board and the manager have to share the same vision, and Warburton has proved that if the vision doesn't meet his, even if there are slight differences, then he's not going to play ball.

Rangers are in an awkward position, because you have to build something and employ people who buy into that vision, but the owners are incapable of doing that because the right vision does not align with their agendas.

Currently we are in a situation where we have two people, Les Ferdinand and Chris Ramsey who have worked together before, who clearly like each other, who share and understand each others vision, who are currently here in the job — why not let them continue to work in tandem? Why take the risk of replacing Ramsey with someone who may not align with either Ferdinand or the board?

Make no mistake about this either, it's a stepping stone, there's so much work to be done that QPR need to put in place some foundations that will eventually entice the right people here. We are not there yet, so we can't expect the best out there to want to come here. We must walk before we can run. Ramsey may or may not be the long-term answer himself, but he can certainly play a part of what the long-term answer should be.

There is no guarantee for any manager that they can do it here, but someone has to start the process, someone has to be the stepping stone for the future. When I say sacrifice, it's about the right fit at the right time, and for me, Ramsey currently is the right fit at the right time for Rangers.

As for Paul Clement, he is the least experienced of the three people mentioned here. He has no managerial experience, no experience buying or selling players, and if we were relegated, we'd be in a position where we have an inexperienced Director of Football and an inexperienced manager trying to rebuild the squad. Is that wise or sensible?

He might have ideas from what he's seen, but that's one thing and Real Madrid, Paris Saint-Germain or Chelsea's of this world are clubs that a financial powerhouses, exactly the type of clubs the owners would love to be, with all the glitz, glamour and high profile names and attention.

Do those clubs have a great track record of developing players, or just buying them? Chelsea stockpile them, how many of them come through the ranks? Not many. Instead they're sent out on loan to play football to get their development. But what those clubs do have already is infrastructure in place, has he ever worked somewhere similar to our predicament?

Now I'm not adverse to other candidates, even the ones mentioned here, but I don't necessarily understand the love-in for some of them. Based on what? Why do some people think these guys will do any better than Ramsey or are any better qualified?

Ramsey right now for example, has managed in the Premier League, and neither of those two have. He's already here and getting the experience he needs under his belt.

Some have argued that Ramsey doesn't have that much experience either, but he has. He may not have enough at this level, but neither do most of the other names mentioned. But he does have plenty of coaching and managerial experience both at home and abroad. He's worked at various levels for the national team, and obviously has a track record for developing younger players.

Perhaps he knows a thing or two about many of the younger players around the country, especially after 10 years at Tottenham working in their reserves and academy as well as working for England at Under 16 to Under 20's levels.

Likewise, the flip side to all of this, is when you're looking for somebody you need the timing to be right. It may well be that someone who has seen, done and experienced some of the things we need, feel they don't need to revisit that to further their careers. There may be some great candidates out there, who've done well and helped build up some clubs, but who see QPR's position as a step down rather than a challenge.

As ever, it's more to do with the way the board and owners run the club than the managers themselves, it's they who need to change, it's they who need to make sure the environment is right so that many more managerial candidates make sense and see progression here.

Right now, when you look at QPR, what do you see? You see a reactive club, always responding from one public crisis to the next, whose owner goes from one scale to the other with his philosophies, visions and statements, with very little in between.

You hear all this talk about future, vision, culture, philosophy and stability, but the proof is in the pudding — we've gone through three managers in four seasons and God knows how many players and teams. If I were a progressive manager looking for my next step, I'd take a very dim view of that, and take anything I heard from the club as a pinch of salt.

Promoting from within and giving opportunity would send the first message out. Do it for the health of the football club, because, as I said, that's more important at this point in time than first team results.

Thank you for your three excellent posts. I appreciate others dont see it the way you do, but each of those posts summarize how I feel, but put in a far more measured and well thought out manner
Give Ramsey the job on 10:02 - Apr 14 with 2205 viewsdaveB

For what the club need Nigel Clough is probably the best fit, he faced similar at Derby and built things slowly and left a very good squad and doing similar at Sheffield United.
Give Ramsey the job on 10:16 - Apr 14 with 2187 viewsPunteR

Another excellent post Neil.
I didn't know much about Warburton but the things highlighted about his career in the post does sound alarm bells.
I think you've hit the nail on the head when you say Ramsey might not be the manager in the foreseeable future,its stepping stones and Ramsey is a good start. Its not about results now but building for the future of the club. I'll buy into that.
I feel the longer we stay in this league with the way things are at our club,when we do eventually get relegated,(and we will)we stand less chance of getting back up. It will cripple this club the way things are buying all this players ,giving high profile managers jobs. Something has to be done. Ramsey has made some unbelievably bold decisions already,maybe not always the right ones to get 3 points, but decisions that prove he's thinking long-term. Exactly what we need.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Login to get fewer ads

Give Ramsey the job on 10:56 - Apr 14 with 2149 viewsPunteR

Give Ramsey the job on 10:02 - Apr 14 by daveB

For what the club need Nigel Clough is probably the best fit, he faced similar at Derby and built things slowly and left a very good squad and doing similar at Sheffield United.

I've thought Clough would be a good shout. But why would he come here?
It feels like another lazy decision"he's done it at Derby,we'll pay him some good money so he comes here and repeats the trick." There's no guarantee he'll do a good job. Maybe he would. Does he get on with Les Ferdinand?will he like west London? I just feel Ramsey is in the right place at the right time. For now anyway.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Give Ramsey the job on 11:43 - Apr 14 with 2117 viewsSnipper

Give Ramsey the job on 09:11 - Apr 14 by Neil_SI

One of the best posts I've read on here.
Give Ramsey the job on 11:54 - Apr 14 with 2104 viewsdaveB

Give Ramsey the job on 10:56 - Apr 14 by PunteR

I've thought Clough would be a good shout. But why would he come here?
It feels like another lazy decision"he's done it at Derby,we'll pay him some good money so he comes here and repeats the trick." There's no guarantee he'll do a good job. Maybe he would. Does he get on with Les Ferdinand?will he like west London? I just feel Ramsey is in the right place at the right time. For now anyway.

I can see the logic in giving it to Ramsey but I just wouldn't rush into it yet, he's had a tough but not impossible job on this season and had mixed results, I'd see where we are at the end of the season not just based purely on if we stay up or not but how the team is playing and get Ferdinand and co to sit down with him and discuss what he would do next if he stays in charge. If his plans are good give him a go, he might not fancy it.
Give Ramsey the job on 12:01 - Apr 14 with 2095 viewsTHEBUSH

If Ramsey was appointed manager at the end of the season, whatever the outcome, I wouldn't be disappointed.
My opinion is that, TF appointed a DOF in Les Ferdinand, which I am happy with, so for me LF should have a big say in who our next permanent manager is !!
Unless Ferdinand and Ramsey have a big fall out, I would expect Les to recommend Chris Ramsey for the job.
Give Ramsey the job on 12:16 - Apr 14 with 2075 viewsElHoop

I would definitely keep Ramsey on board but it might be that we can be better overall with somebody else as first team coach and with Ramsey looking after the whole of the youth side of things, with Les as DOF. But there's still the issue of who is going to be responsible for identifying transfer targets.
Give Ramsey the job on 13:23 - Apr 14 with 2028 viewsW7Ranger

Give Ramsey the job on 07:32 - Apr 13 by SpiritofGregory

Foolish not to blame Green for the goal, the defence won't appreciate being blamed for the goal.

He didn't blame the defence either. He just said it wasn't Green's fault because we had enough time afterwards to deal with it but we didn't. We switched off for a split second and got punished, that's it. It wasn't exactly a catalogue of defensive errors that cost us, we just didn't deal with something that could have been dealt with better.

As far as I can tell, he didn't specifically "blame" anyone.
Give Ramsey the job on 20:13 - Apr 14 with 1945 viewsdoubled

REALEY NOT BLODDY LIKELY MIGHT ASWELL GIVE IT TO BARTON
Give Ramsey the job on 20:15 - Apr 14 with 1942 viewsdanehoop

Give Ramsey the job on 20:13 - Apr 14 by doubled

I would suggest that don't drink and type is a good rule to work with in future.

Never knowingly understood

Give Ramsey the job on 23:41 - Apr 14 with 1886 viewsNortholt_Rs

Give Ramsey the job on 11:43 - Apr 14 by Snipper

One of the best posts I've read on here.

We'll definitely one of the longest posts anyway.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Give Ramsey the job on 23:44 - Apr 14 with 1882 viewsNortholt_Rs

Not so sure at the moment - 6 straight losses at home.... Let's see how he does til the end of the season and then make a call on it.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Give Ramsey the job on 07:01 - Apr 15 with 1813 viewsJonDoeman

Give Ramsey the job on 20:13 - Apr 14 by doubled

I've got a feeling he's going to be a good manager!

It Is What It Is !!

Give Ramsey the job on 07:05 - Apr 15 with 1811 viewsJonDoeman

I believe some managers are lucky managers. Ramsey seems to be a bit of a Jonah.

It Is What It Is !!

Give Ramsey the job on 10:54 - Apr 15 with 1739 viewsAntti_Heinola

Give Ramsey the job on 07:05 - Apr 15 by JonDoeman

I believe some managers are lucky managers. Ramsey seems to be a bit of a Jonah.

To be fair, JD, you're pretty much the last person on here I'd ask about who should or shouldn't be manager of QPR.

Bare bones.

Give Ramsey the job on 11:05 - Apr 15 with 1720 viewsdanehoop

After due consideration, I feel we should give the job to Ramsey.

Not for any obvious reasoned and rationale thought process (I leave that to Neil) but entirely to wind up SOG who will probably explode with such indignation and outrage that there would be a good chance of serious neurological damage. That alone would make his appointment entirely worth the potential risk of failure that might follow.

Never knowingly understood

Give Ramsey the job on 11:09 - Apr 15 with 1707 viewsJonDoeman

Give Ramsey the job on 10:54 - Apr 15 by Antti_Heinola

To be fair, JD, you're pretty much the last person on here I'd ask about who should or shouldn't be manager of QPR.

Fair enough Whineola!
[Post edited 15 Apr 2015 11:19]

It Is What It Is !!

Give Ramsey the job on 11:11 - Apr 15 with 1704 viewsJonDoeman

Give Ramsey the job on 07:05 - Apr 15 by JonDoeman

Ramsey in charge of the Play Off final , Bob trips up over his own feet taking the shot & goes off injured!!

It Is What It Is !!

Give Ramsey the job on 11:32 - Apr 15 with 1677 viewsgobbles

Can't imagine a more ridiculous knee-jerk thread than this. Ramsey was ridiculously given the job until the end of the season on the basis of one performance. Now we have just broken the club record for longest run of home defeats.
Surely it is time we went through a proper interview process, with at least an idea to plan for the midterm.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024