Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Give Ramsey the job 15:31 - Apr 12 with 26291 viewsGetMeRangers

After todays performance he deserves it
Give Ramsey the job on 11:44 - Apr 15 with 1613 viewspaulparker

Give Ramsey the job on 11:32 - Apr 15 by gobbles

Can't imagine a more ridiculous knee-jerk thread than this. Ramsey was ridiculously given the job until the end of the season on the basis of one performance. Now we have just broken the club record for longest run of home defeats.
Surely it is time we went through a proper interview process, with at least an idea to plan for the midterm.

Spot on

this pre season is crucial on & off the pitch, this appointment has to be right
no more quick fixes ,
i dont get this love in for Ramsey at all, if he gets the job i cant see him being here beyond xmas and that would put us back even more and will probaly result in a fat sam type of manager coming in ,
Warburton, Grayson, Hill, Parkinson or Robinson is where we need to be looking at

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Give Ramsey the job on 11:50 - Apr 15 with 1608 viewsHunterhoop

Can't imagine a more ridiculous knee-jerk thread than this. Ramsey was ridiculously given the job until the end of the season on the basis of one performance. Now we have just broken the club record for longest run of home defeats.
Surely it is time we went through a proper interview process, with at least an idea to plan for the midterm.

So you defended Redknapp, but happily dismiss/criticise Ramsey, and you work in the media, you say.....

In all seriousness, STOP falling into the trap of judging people on results. It is such a short term, simple and rather stupid thing to do. Results/Outcomes have many external factors which aren't under any one person's control.

All we can judge people on, managers and leaders, especially is their INPUT: their actions and words.

Ramsey, in this regard, has done well. If you disagree he is actions and words haven't been encouraging, a blessed relief from HR, positive, etc, etc, then please explain and put across your reasoning.

But this whole, "we shouldn't give him the job because we've lost lots" line is about as intellectually developed as a 6 yr old.

Look at everything he's doing and saying; it is almost exactly what people wanted and is almost certainly what will be good for the club in the medium-long term.
Give Ramsey the job on 12:10 - Apr 15 with 1575 viewsadhoc_qpr

Neil_SI makes some great points about the potential drawbacks of Warburton and Clements and how our club needs to evolve it's strategy from the top down.

However, for me Ramsey's managerial credentials are a massive question mark and surely that is still the most important thing.

Results haven't been great (7 home losses), performances have been very erratic even within the same games (Villa 1st half vs 2nd half, Arsenal 1st half vs 2nd half etc).

He's made some great selections and decisions to change games (Villa away, Sunderland away), but he's also dropped some absolute clangers (Palace away, playing Krancjar, playing SWP etc).

He's getting the best out of Zamora and Phillips, but he's failing to get our main threat Austin involved in games at all.

I just feel that as soon as we hit a rough patch in the Championship and end up bobbling around lower midtable, Ramsey will get the chop and we'll be right back where we started. And because he is a rookie manager, no one in the press questions you when you can him.

If we appoint a new long term manager in the Summer, TF will have to at least give him 6 months.
Give Ramsey the job on 12:46 - Apr 15 with 1539 viewsgobbles

Give Ramsey the job on 11:50 - Apr 15 by Hunterhoop

So you defended Redknapp, but happily dismiss/criticise Ramsey, and you work in the media, you say.....

In all seriousness, STOP falling into the trap of judging people on results. It is such a short term, simple and rather stupid thing to do. Results/Outcomes have many external factors which aren't under any one person's control.

All we can judge people on, managers and leaders, especially is their INPUT: their actions and words.

Ramsey, in this regard, has done well. If you disagree he is actions and words haven't been encouraging, a blessed relief from HR, positive, etc, etc, then please explain and put across your reasoning.

But this whole, "we shouldn't give him the job because we've lost lots" line is about as intellectually developed as a 6 yr old.

Look at everything he's doing and saying; it is almost exactly what people wanted and is almost certainly what will be good for the club in the medium-long term.

What is he doing and saying that is so great? Why can't he be criticised? Why do you feel you are entitled to an opinion, but not me, always jumping in with "you work in the media"? I pay for a season ticket.

The very first post of this thread said give him the job because of the Chelsea performance! You say it is a mistake to judge him on results, but you would seemingly rather he be judged on what he says? I'd rather judge him on his decisions and his results. Let's not forget, for some reason he refused to play Vargas for ages, preferring SWP.

The idea of having a caretaker is so that some time can be taken to evaluate who should be the next man. I want the best person for the job, not just the best guy who happened to be in the building when the job became available.
Give Ramsey the job on 12:48 - Apr 15 with 1532 viewsJonDoeman

Give Ramsey the job on 10:54 - Apr 15 by Antti_Heinola

To be fair, JD, you're pretty much the last person on here I'd ask about who should or shouldn't be manager of QPR.

Just to add , I backed him last season cos my gut feeling was he would get us up. And I stopped backing him this season after Spurs away, cos I thought he was going to take us down, I even placed a bet on him being the next manager sacked (shame it never came in!) So you could say I was right!!

My gut feeling on Ramsey is, he ain't the one.

PS You'll be pretty much the last person on here I'd ask about midfielders we sign

It Is What It Is !!

Give Ramsey the job on 12:50 - Apr 15 with 1530 viewsJonDoeman

Spot on gobbles.

It Is What It Is !!

Give Ramsey the job on 13:00 - Apr 15 with 1504 viewsdaveB

I do think we should go through an interview process and Ramsey should be given an interview and an opportunity to get the job. He's a good candidate but we need to find the best man regardless of what division we are in and just giving it to him as he's been given a bad hand and done his best seems foolish to me. It's also pretty hypocritical of Ramsey and Ferdinand to complain about the Rooney rule and then not interview anyone for the job.
Give Ramsey the job on 13:15 - Apr 15 with 1482 viewsSomersetHoops

Give Ramsey the job on 12:50 - Apr 15 by JonDoeman

Spot on gobbles.

I can say I'm in favour of Ramsey against a Sam not wanted by West Ham option. Of the other names mentioned most have a job or have no more or no better experience of management than Ramsey has. Its also important to consider that Les Ferdinand will have an overseeing role unless we go for another crap landmark appointment who will insist they can't work with him and then we really be down the road often travelled that has failed.

It may be that Les Ferdinand has not a massive amount of experience, but he knows football and I trust that he can judge players ability without relying on reputation or past performances. In terms of the options available, I don't think Ramsey was a ridiculous appointment and although he recognised it was a risk it was the recommendation of Les F., so do you want to get rid of him as well?

In my view its not the time to ditch the arrangement that has the potential to benefit the club long term just because it can't get short term results with the crap team Redknapp left us with, without the option to improve it. I recognise the improvement in attitude and performances that Ramsey and Les have made and I'm not convinced that any of the names mentioned who would be prepared to take on the poisoned chalice for managers that QPR has become would do any better.

Who's Next?

Login to get fewer ads

Give Ramsey the job on 13:15 - Apr 15 with 1482 viewsWestonsuperR

Great post.

Are QPR the only club in the world that would permanetly employ a guy who has lost every single Home match he has been in charge of? Not only has he done this but he's done it with a team that actually had a reasonable Home record until he took over. We would be a laughing stock.
Give Ramsey the job on 13:15 - Apr 15 with 1474 viewsHunterhoop

Give Ramsey the job on 12:46 - Apr 15 by gobbles

What is he doing and saying that is so great? Why can't he be criticised? Why do you feel you are entitled to an opinion, but not me, always jumping in with "you work in the media"? I pay for a season ticket.

The very first post of this thread said give him the job because of the Chelsea performance! You say it is a mistake to judge him on results, but you would seemingly rather he be judged on what he says? I'd rather judge him on his decisions and his results. Let's not forget, for some reason he refused to play Vargas for ages, preferring SWP.

The idea of having a caretaker is so that some time can be taken to evaluate who should be the next man. I want the best person for the job, not just the best guy who happened to be in the building when the job became available.

Right, what is he saying and doing which is good?

- He's being honest (crucial in a good leader because it develops trust)
- He's holding his hands up to mistakes (crucial in a good leader because it shows vulernability, which develops trust)
- He has spoken of how the team have had honest and frank discussions in the changing room on the training ground (excellent because healthy challenge is crucial amongst a team; it allows everyone to have there say before, as a team, you commit and move on)
- He is not making excuses for results/performances (crucial because it creates a culture of accountability (which is crucial in delivering good results in the medium-long term)
- He is clearly explaining what it is - a lack of concentration from individuals - which is leading to us not getting the results we should have (crucial to ensuring you do get the results you should)

In effect, he is exhibiting a number of behaviours, whether intentionally or not, straight out of the Lencioni model, one of the most tried, tested, and praised ways of developing a high performing team.

So, yes, I think that's pretty good.

There's then certain things which will be good for the football club as a whole in the long run:
- He's given youth a chance (which will encourage young players to stay/join us, because they might get a chance
- His willingness to play youngsters rather than go for a loan/new signing is a far more cost effective approach to his resource (which is exactly what the club needs given our financial position)
- He has a positive relationship with our DoF (which will help create unity at the club, with everyone pushing in the same direction
- The effort levels have increased - I'm sure the Opta stats will back that up, but we can see that for ourselves. He's got the players playing for the club again
- The fans have responded to this both at home and away - there is undeniably more backing for the team
- He's got Phillips, one of our young talented players, playing at a far higher level than the previous manager could, and now a genuine threat to opposition teams in the Prem

The very short term results he has got, with someone else's squad, already low on confidence, is IMO, frankly, not important in determining whether he will be a successful manager. Therefore, I strongly feel you park it from the discussion.

Should he get the job based on one performance? No, of course not. Should he get the job based on all the above? Yes, because it is helping result in these types of performances and will undoubtedly deliver results we want in the med-long term. And Yes, because, show me a manager who is showing these behaviours too, who already knows the squad, players, environment, etc?

Appointing anyone else is a bigger risk, IMO, then keeping Ramsey and giving him the role.

Oh, and you are entitled to an opinion. Never said you weren't. I just said this view of "he's lost lots of games so he shouldn't get the job" is pretty short sighted and, frankly, a bit simple. That's my view. I'm entitled to it. Actually listing some of the mistakes he's made or things he's done, which most would say weren't good, ie. playing SWP, dropping Vargas, playing Phillips on the Left, etc....would have been much more intelligent and would have garnered much more respect, from me at least.

Oh, and finally, the media thing was tongue in cheek (alluding to Redknapp's cronies in the media), and the comment of "in all seriousness" that followed it was meant to make it clear that the previous comment was in jest. The nuances of language, eh?
Give Ramsey the job on 13:28 - Apr 15 with 1500 viewsNeil_SI

Give Ramsey the job on 12:46 - Apr 15 by gobbles

I've made a case for some of those points in the link in the original post I made in this thread, but to repeat them again ( here if you want to see: http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/142835/1840826/ant ).

Ramsey has set out his stall and told the players that if they're fit and available, and that they've trained well, then they would be considered for selection, irrespective of who they are or what they have or haven't done in the past.

He didn't refuse to play Vargas, rather the player wasn't meeting the necessary standards, and therefore wasn't considered for selection. He spoke with the player directly to make him aware of what was expected, and Vargas responded positively and worked his way back into the team. That's good man management, that's good management, period.

The same, would you believe it or not, was applied to Shaun Wright-Phillips. All he is doing and correctly doing — is offering the players equality. That is far more important for us as a football club, to set standards and boundaries that need to be met, rather than to rely on favourites or pick players based on reputation. Wright-Phillips trained well, and therefore was considered.

This works both ways, it sends a clear message to the better players, that they will be dropped, no matter what their name is or what they earn. They can't rest on their laurels, so it raises their standards if they truly want to play.

The same can be said for those who were discarded. Some of them will have trained well and never been picked, so in the end, they'd end up demoralised and practically giving up. Because what does it matter in the end, if they're not going to get a fair crack at the whip? That Ramsey offered them an olive branch at the outset, is great management. It didn't work out for Wright-Phillips, the fans wouldn't allow for that anyway — but Ramsey was fair to the player and I give him credit for that, because many wouldn't run the risk of the stick taken from the stands.

Equality is critical at football clubs — it's the fairest way to judge a group and you will find most players actually want that, even the ones who are playing regularly.

On top of all of that, Ramsey has been unlucky with the amount of injuries and suspensions he's had to contend with, but everything he's done tactically has had some logic and thought process behind it, and I admire that he's stuck to that in the heat of a relegation battle when so many others would just pick the experienced names who've been there, seen it and done it before.

He's wiped the slate clean and actually united a large part of the club, the senior players who were already involved, the senior players who were discarded, and the youth players, who have actually been embraced by the senior ones. That unity is our best hope of survival, because without it, we wouldn't have stood a chance.
Give Ramsey the job on 13:31 - Apr 15 with 1497 viewsellersliehoop

We need to put this into persepctive, let's look at who we beat at home pre-Ramsey

Sunderland
Villa
Leicester
Burnley
WBA

And who we've lost to...........

Southampton
Man U
Arsenal
Spurs
Everton
Chelsea

Other than Everton (which was particularly damaging) the other defeats were pretty much expected regardless
Give Ramsey the job on 13:36 - Apr 15 with 1490 viewsbaz_qpr

Give Ramsey the job on 11:57 - Apr 13 by daveB

tough call on Ramsey, I'd like to see him get a chance but it's a real gamble especially if we go down, some of his team selections and subs have been odd

This - I think you have to have a good understanding as top who is in the market at the end of the season. Given Uncle Tone's tweets it looks increasingly likely. We've been quite well organised scored some training ground routines, players are motivated etc.

However, results have been pretty poor, no improvement in getting results against anyone other than fellow relegation candidates. Football is industrial and we are still reliant on a cripple. No experience in the transfer market. Should a miracle happen and we stay up then we should probably stick, if we get relegated, and end up with 10 players in contract. Not so sure!
Give Ramsey the job on 13:38 - Apr 15 with 1487 viewsNeil_SI

Give Ramsey the job on 12:10 - Apr 15 by adhoc_qpr

Neil_SI makes some great points about the potential drawbacks of Warburton and Clements and how our club needs to evolve it's strategy from the top down.

However, for me Ramsey's managerial credentials are a massive question mark and surely that is still the most important thing.

Results haven't been great (7 home losses), performances have been very erratic even within the same games (Villa 1st half vs 2nd half, Arsenal 1st half vs 2nd half etc).

He's made some great selections and decisions to change games (Villa away, Sunderland away), but he's also dropped some absolute clangers (Palace away, playing Krancjar, playing SWP etc).

He's getting the best out of Zamora and Phillips, but he's failing to get our main threat Austin involved in games at all.

I just feel that as soon as we hit a rough patch in the Championship and end up bobbling around lower midtable, Ramsey will get the chop and we'll be right back where we started. And because he is a rookie manager, no one in the press questions you when you can him.

If we appoint a new long term manager in the Summer, TF will have to at least give him 6 months.

I've said elsewhere I think it's a mistake to look at the results.

Harry Redknapp may well have fared the same, and there were similar erratic performances or different halves under his regime. We've been like that for a long time, even before Redknapp.

But there's been more consistency about us under Ramsey as the players appear to be working that little bit harder. There's been more effort, which has kept us closer in all of these matches than before, as before, when we were behind, you never felt the side had the belief or desire to get back in it. I've always said it's about working harder too, that's all they need to do.

We can look at seven home losses, which is poor and unfortunate, but we can also look at our abysmal away record under Redknapp and Hughes and then see a rookie pick up two wins in no time at all and almost three had we done it at Villa. At Hull, we were well in that game, despite having 10 players for most of it.

It's a hard job, it's going to be hard for any manager in our circumstances. I'm also not convinced it's become worse for Austin, he's as involved as he's been all season. The way we are, in terms of our personnel and set-up, it's always going to be difficult to get him involved. But he's still scored 4 times in 10 matches under Ramsey — and we've also seen Fer, Zamora, Vargas, Barton, Hill, Sandro and Phillips getting on the score sheet, so the goals are starting to spread around, which for me, is a positive.
Give Ramsey the job on 13:54 - Apr 15 with 1449 viewsTheBlob

That's a strange concept that results aren't relevant.
It's like saying God isn't relevant to The Bible.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Give Ramsey the job on 13:56 - Apr 15 with 1445 viewsgobbles

Give Ramsey the job on 13:31 - Apr 15 by ellersliehoop

We need to put this into persepctive, let's look at who we beat at home pre-Ramsey

Sunderland
Villa
Leicester
Burnley
WBA

Southampton
Man U
Arsenal
Spurs
Everton
Chelsea

Other than Everton (which was particularly damaging) the other defeats were pretty much expected regardless

If you expect us to lose at home Spurs, Southampton and Everton, what hope is there?
Give Ramsey the job on 13:58 - Apr 15 with 1437 viewspaulparker

Give Ramsey the job on 13:31 - Apr 15 by ellersliehoop

Sunderland
Villa
Leicester
Burnley
WBA

Southampton
Man U
Arsenal
Spurs
Everton
Chelsea

so by that logic we may as well have kept Arry
whats going to cost us this year is this attitude to "Bonus games " & "expected to lose"
Burnley, Leicester have both got points against Chelsea, Utd , Spurs , city ,
we havent
we have also lost crucial games at Hull & to an Everton team with nothing to play for and who had a thursday night thrashing in Kiev
also how any times have we conceded last minute game changing goals under him ?
why does our defence look as weak as p1ss , it looks even worse since Arry left
Sorry but Ramsey is not the answer he can hold as many team meetings and be as honest as he wants he will never take this club forward
apart from phillips ive havent seen that much impovement ,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Give Ramsey the job on 14:05 - Apr 15 with 1422 viewsTHEBUSH

Give Ramsey the job on 13:54 - Apr 15 by TheBlob

That's a strange concept that results aren't relevant.
It's like saying God isn't relevant to The Bible.

Ah, but God doesn't exist
Give Ramsey the job on 14:06 - Apr 15 with 1421 viewsNeil_SI

Give Ramsey the job on 13:58 - Apr 15 by paulparker

so by that logic we may as well have kept Arry
whats going to cost us this year is this attitude to "Bonus games " & "expected to lose"
Burnley, Leicester have both got points against Chelsea, Utd , Spurs , city ,
we havent
we have also lost crucial games at Hull & to an Everton team with nothing to play for and who had a thursday night thrashing in Kiev
also how any times have we conceded last minute game changing goals under him ?
why does our defence look as weak as p1ss , it looks even worse since Arry left
Sorry but Ramsey is not the answer he can hold as many team meetings and be as honest as he wants he will never take this club forward
apart from phillips ive havent seen that much impovement ,

The defence has always been weak.

The difference is Ramsey is setting us up to be more attacking in a bid to try and win games and pick up needed points. Doing that is always going to expose the defence further because they're playing a more open game.

Under Redknapp, we were very conservative, including last season in the Championship. The side was set up to protect the lack of pace and legs and relying on Charlie Austin to try and find a way to score the odd goal to win games.

Those two approaches are the options between now and the end of the season. Redknapp would have likely stayed more conservative, and would have been crucified for not trying to have a proper go at it, whereas Ramsey's gone for a slightly more cavalier approach, and already you're seeing the mood change, especially at away matches, where even when we've lost or drawn, you're seeing supporters coming away pleased that we've at least tried to have a go at it.

That's all you can ask for really. We have scored seven goals in the last couple of away matches, for example, whereas we'd only managed seven away from home prior to that in the whole campaign.
Give Ramsey the job on 14:14 - Apr 15 with 1400 viewsTheBlob

Give Ramsey the job on 14:05 - Apr 15 by THEBUSH

Well if God doesn't exist how do you explain Rock Salmon?

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Give Ramsey the job on 14:21 - Apr 15 with 1391 viewspaulparker

Give Ramsey the job on 14:06 - Apr 15 by Neil_SI

The defence has always been weak.

The difference is Ramsey is setting us up to be more attacking in a bid to try and win games and pick up needed points. Doing that is always going to expose the defence further because they're playing a more open game.

Under Redknapp, we were very conservative, including last season in the Championship. The side was set up to protect the lack of pace and legs and relying on Charlie Austin to try and find a way to score the odd goal to win games.

Those two approaches are the options between now and the end of the season. Redknapp would have likely stayed more conservative, and would have been crucified for not trying to have a proper go at it, whereas Ramsey's gone for a slightly more cavalier approach, and already you're seeing the mood change, especially at away matches, where even when we've lost or drawn, you're seeing supporters coming away pleased that we've at least tried to have a go at it.

That's all you can ask for really. We have scored seven goals in the last couple of away matches, for example, whereas we'd only managed seven away from home prior to that in the whole campaign.

Dont get me wrong Neil , Arry was never going to get better results and those who read my posts know fully how i hate the man
the point im making is that people on here get carried away about how Ramsey is this super coach , im sorry i dont see it
we are still a shambles probably worse at the Back since he took charge
we still play 4-4-2 launching it to Bobby awaiting a knock down to Austin
the players fitness levels are still shocking , we always look dead on our feet after 55 minutes of each game
our concentration levels are poor, how many last minute goals have we conceded ?
why the urge to play SWP

i will admit he is better than Arry, but so would i be
the task next season is going to be tough, its important we get the right man
Ramsey if appointed would not last more than a few months , a bit like Adams at Norwich, it wont work

Give Ramsey the job on 14:31 - Apr 15 with 1372 viewsjohncharles

Give Ramsey the job on 14:05 - Apr 15 by THEBUSH

He only exists in arguments that have gone on too long and all reason has gone out the window.
Like this thread, cue God.

Strong and stable my arse.

Give Ramsey the job on 14:43 - Apr 15 with 1359 viewsdaveB

part of the reason for the tactics has been the injury to fer, he started off with Adel playing off Austin against Southampton with Fer in the middle then fer off Zamora at Sunderland. Since that injury we've not really had someone regularly fit enough to play that way.
Give Ramsey the job on 16:58 - Apr 15 with 1291 viewsRangersw12

Give Ramsey the job on 14:21 - Apr 15 by paulparker

Dont get me wrong Neil , Arry was never going to get better results and those who read my posts know fully how i hate the man
the point im making is that people on here get carried away about how Ramsey is this super coach , im sorry i dont see it
we are still a shambles probably worse at the Back since he took charge
we still play 4-4-2 launching it to Bobby awaiting a knock down to Austin
the players fitness levels are still shocking , we always look dead on our feet after 55 minutes of each game
our concentration levels are poor, how many last minute goals have we conceded ?
why the urge to play SWP

i will admit he is better than Arry, but so would i be
the task next season is going to be tough, its important we get the right man
Ramsey if appointed would not last more than a few months , a bit like Adams at Norwich, it wont work

There is no guarantee that Warburton is the answer either nor any of the other candidates you have mentioned as the whole ethos of the club and fans need to change

Ramsey has got us playing better and working hard and I think he should get a chance with his OWN team and not the dregs of Redkanpps squad

End of the day the fans are going to have to be patient regardless who is appointed as this will more than likely get worse before it gets better
Give Ramsey the job on 17:01 - Apr 15 with 1282 viewspaulparker

Give Ramsey the job on 16:58 - Apr 15 by Rangersw12

There is no guarantee that Warburton is the answer either nor any of the other candidates you have mentioned as the whole ethos of the club and fans need to change

Ramsey has got us playing better and working hard and I think he should get a chance with his OWN team and not the dregs of Redkanpps squad

End of the day the fans are going to have to be patient regardless who is appointed as this will more than likely get worse before it gets better

im all for patience mate, and im all for a change at the club
i just dont see Ramsey as this brilliant coach as others are making him out to be

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024