Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Food for thought from Dave Mac... 12:04 - Oct 1 with 18155 viewsGruntfuttock

http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/is-ramsey-the-right-man-for-the-job-it-depend
Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 16:52 - Oct 2 with 2096 viewsderbyhoop

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 14:14 - Oct 2 by Hayesender

I am sick and tired of this "Ramsey is a good coach" argument.

There is absolutely NO evidence to back this up

Apart from the number of players saying how much they enjoy his sessions and how they've improved.
About being given 2 coaching jobs with England youngsters
About developing the likes of Danny Rose, Harry Kane, et al

NO. I can't see any evidence either.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 17:03 - Oct 2 with 2080 viewspaulparker

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 16:52 - Oct 2 by derbyhoop

Apart from the number of players saying how much they enjoy his sessions and how they've improved.

So who at QPR has improved then ?
Hayes is right it's a myth he is a good coach, you only have to look at our shambles of a defence
To see that
They may enjoy his sessions as he his probably a soft touch
Have a look at the soccer am vid with Austin, Ramsey is more there mate than manager
And there lies the problem

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 17:15 - Oct 2 with 2060 viewsWeaverQPR

I'm only interested in what he does at QPR. The defence hasn't improved at all, the whole team is slow and one paced (unfit again, Carl Serrant?), the actual football itself ain't up to much.
I'll give you he got the best out of Phillips last year although he has now regressed and barely goes past a man. The promise of youth being given a chance seems to have been forgotten. Hall dropped for a more experienced name despite playing well. Doughty the only younger player on the scene binned off for Toszer (who was unfit), Smithies (signed,played,dropped).

He certainly aint got the best out of his attacking players Chery,Phillps,JET (remember him)

We are 10/11 games played in total and on the pitch there is little improvement to get excited about
[Post edited 2 Oct 2015 17:19]

@WeavQPR

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 17:17 - Oct 2 with 2062 viewssimmo

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 17:03 - Oct 2 by paulparker

Hayes is right it's a myth he is a good coach, you only have to look at our shambles of a defence
To see that
Have a look at the soccer am vid with Austin, Ramsey is more there mate than manager

'There lies the problem?' That seems quite a major assumption on your part, PP. You're not there to see it day in day out to be fair and everything from inside QPR - from Les, to the players, to Gallen/Impey, to ex players, journalists - they all concur that he's an excellent coach. Tottenham have the youngest team in the premier league this season, a lot of which comes from the players he worked with in their academy - do you think that's coincidence?

As for who has improved? Austin has improved - that's absolutely clear. His all round game has come on loads with us, especially under Ramsey. Doughty has played his best games under him, Furlong and Kpekwa have both looked good via him starting them and giving them clear instructions. Phillips until his recent slump in form was the best winger in the country. We're playing miles better football (albeit not consistently) under him then we did in years under Redknapp. People forget that we went over a YEAR not winning an away game under previous regimes, a whole year, without once even getting lucky. Under Ramsey we've been miles better at how we approach games away from LR. It's not all there yet and there are exceptions (a week ago for example), but that happens, especially in this league.

Fair enough have a go at the man for not getting the results, but I think it's clear that he's a very good coach and I have definitely seen evidence of that via the team and with individuals.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 17:19 - Oct 2 with 2056 viewsdaveB

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 13:10 - Oct 2 by Hunterhoop

I agree, Dave. But I do think fans have a responsibility to have more patience and support the team more.

I, like you, Niel, Simmo, Antti, GetMeRangers, etc, really want this to work, because the change in approach and the strategy Les is trying to deliver IS the right thing. I firmly believe that.

Yes, if performances and the results on the pitch are poor for a sustained period (ie. a season) then we will need a new coach. It's as simple as that.

But we've all been supporting QPR for what 20, 30, 40, 50, etc, years? What's one season? At a wider level, if the club is moving in the right direction but the team doesn't have a great season, so what? Get the club into the right state and the performance of the team on the field will follow.

That's why I call for patience. I wanted patience with Warnock, Paul Furlong (as a player), Ian Holloway....and I didn't with Mark Hughes and Redknapp. The reason...what they were trying to do and NOT the results they initially achieved. Ramsey and, Les, in particular, fall into the first category. They are trying to do the right thing and they care. Yes, we have problems on the pitch. Players are playing badly, we're widely erratic and we can't put a sustained 90 min of good football together.

But it's just turned October. OCTOBER! We're mid table having had a pre season with 15+ out and 10-15 in.

What is the problem with being patient and waiting? What is the problem of wanting it to work, and, as a result, giving your support to Ramsey and Les?

As sh*t as the football was against Forest (boring), Blackburn in the first half (inept) and Fulham (woeful), I'm able to not get irate. I'm disappointed and frustrated, but I'm able to retain the "bigger picture". They're a handful of individual games early in one season.

I think we, as fans, have a responsibility to retain this perspective if we want a club that is run well and, in the spirit of how QPR has traditionally been run. Change takes time. Change always involves difficult spells. You need to have patience to earn the good stuff that comes from change.

This need for instant gratification is poisonous. At the very least, can we not just put away the negativity, anger, aggression towards our own coach and DoF (who are so blatently trying their best and to do the right thing) until Christmas? Is that really that much to ask??

Tomorrow let's support Ramsey, support the players, sing up and back the team. Who knows, we might win. Who knows what everyone will do then?!

I agree with you and if we'd lost 1-0 last wee with a half decent performance it wouldn't be an issue but that performance following on the two home ones where we were crap and the pressure is on. If we play crap tomorrow then it doesn't matter how early in the season is the calls for him to go will be pretty loud.

We're in a new generation now where people can't wait a week to watch the next episode of a tv show and expect a years worth in one night so the chances of people waiting a year or even a month to see an improved football team are slim
Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 17:20 - Oct 2 with 2055 viewsDorse

To see that

You're using Soccer AM in an argument? Oy vey.

To jump from seeing a positively spun piece on a knock-about entertainment show to saying it proves Ramsey has a discipline issue in the squad and his training sessions are a soft touch is quite a leap.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 17:44 - Oct 2 with 2032 viewsHayesender

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 16:52 - Oct 2 by derbyhoop

Firstly, I wouldn't take too much notice what players say in the press.

Secondly, Aidy HOOFroid is employed by the fa coaching our youngsters atm. Do you consider him to be a good coach?

And last, for every Harry Kane, there's a Dean Parret

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 17:49 - Oct 2 with 2021 viewsHunterhoop

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 17:19 - Oct 2 by daveB

I agree with you and if we'd lost 1-0 last wee with a half decent performance it wouldn't be an issue but that performance following on the two home ones where we were crap and the pressure is on. If we play crap tomorrow then it doesn't matter how early in the season is the calls for him to go will be pretty loud.

We're in a new generation now where people can't wait a week to watch the next episode of a tv show and expect a years worth in one night so the chances of people waiting a year or even a month to see an improved football team are slim

I know, Dave. I know.i just think it's a huge shame. It saddens and annoys me in equal measure.
Login to get fewer ads

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 17:50 - Oct 2 with 2019 viewsHunterhoop

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 17:44 - Oct 2 by Hayesender

Firstly, I wouldn't take too much notice what players say in the press.

Secondly, Aidy HOOFroid is employed by the fa coaching our youngsters atm. Do you consider him to be a good coach?

And last, for every Harry Kane, there's a Dean Parret

Hayes, mate, read the football league big interview on him. That's properly researched with lots of facts. He is extremely well qualified and highly regarded as a coach. Whether out players are tw*ts and don't respect him, for whatever reason, is another matter.
Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 18:03 - Oct 2 with 2002 viewsWeaverQPR

Lets see if we come out fighting tomorrow or whether its two holding midfielders at home to a poor side with one up top and no service.

@WeavQPR

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 18:22 - Oct 2 with 1982 viewsNorthernr

To see that

"Have a look at that Soccer AM video..."

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 22:11 - Oct 2 with 1890 viewspaulparker

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 18:22 - Oct 2 by Northernr

"Have a look at that Soccer AM video..."

What you don't think that was embarrassing ??
You name any manager who would have took part in that cringe fest
"Austin the top man" leave it out
You can take the p1ss it's your website, fair enough
but you and those who want Ramsey here cannot and still haven't given any evidence to this top coach we are so lucky to have

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 22:21 - Oct 2 with 1881 viewspaulparker

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 17:17 - Oct 2 by simmo

'There lies the problem?' That seems quite a major assumption on your part, PP. You're not there to see it day in day out to be fair and everything from inside QPR - from Les, to the players, to Gallen/Impey, to ex players, journalists - they all concur that he's an excellent coach. Tottenham have the youngest team in the premier league this season, a lot of which comes from the players he worked with in their academy - do you think that's coincidence?

As for who has improved? Austin has improved - that's absolutely clear. His all round game has come on loads with us, especially under Ramsey. Doughty has played his best games under him, Furlong and Kpekwa have both looked good via him starting them and giving them clear instructions. Phillips until his recent slump in form was the best winger in the country. We're playing miles better football (albeit not consistently) under him then we did in years under Redknapp. People forget that we went over a YEAR not winning an away game under previous regimes, a whole year, without once even getting lucky. Under Ramsey we've been miles better at how we approach games away from LR. It's not all there yet and there are exceptions (a week ago for example), but that happens, especially in this league.

Fair enough have a go at the man for not getting the results, but I think it's clear that he's a very good coach and I have definitely seen evidence of that via the team and with individuals.

Simmo mate , I respect your views but cmon
Austin is the same player he was under Redknapp , Ramsey hasn't improved him at all if anything he is guilty to not playing to his strenghs
as for doughty he has started about 6 games and hasn't had any sort of run in the 1st team
Furlong has been shipped To Northampton and kwepka who I rate has played 3 games hardly players ripping up the league
Phillips has gone backwards so what's the excuse there then ??
As for being a good coach please show me where?? As far as I can see we are leaking 2 or more goals a game , surely a decent coach starts at the back

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 23:48 - Oct 2 with 1839 viewsNorthernr

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 22:11 - Oct 2 by paulparker

What you don't think that was embarrassing ??
You name any manager who would have took part in that cringe fest
"Austin the top man" leave it out
You can take the p1ss it's your website, fair enough
but you and those who want Ramsey here cannot and still haven't given any evidence to this top coach we are so lucky to have

When you're using a tiny clip from Soccer AM, of all fcking places, to try and draw conclusions of how Chris Ramsey trains the players, treats the players, talks to the players and so on then I'll take the pis remorselessly whether it's my site or not. Soccer AM? Come on ffs, there's so much you can hang him for at the moment and you've picked that!?

It's the equivalent of writing a piece on how useless Jeremy Corbyn is because of something some drunk was shouting on the tube out of Kentish Town on Friday night.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 23:58 - Oct 2 with 1826 viewsNeil_SI

Let's be a little pedantic about this.

Ramsey is the “Head Coach” at QPR. He isn’t the manager, so those who bash him because they don’t think he’s a good enough manager, well that’s not what his role or position is.

It was crystal clear in the announcement what his title and role at the club is:
http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/chris-ramsey-appointed-qpr-head-coach-2018-246

With that out of the way — the key phrase in all of this is what David McIntyre alluded to in his article — which is whether or not Ramsey can install a “winning mentality” throughout the club over time. That is the hardest part for anybody involved in looking after football matters whether they are a Head Coach or a Manager, and goes way beyond the first-team. There are not many clubs with a wholly winning mentality — so the jury is rightly out on that one — but it can only be answered over time. Ramsey himself calls this developing “a culture of excellence”.

Both Ramsey and Ferdinand have already made a lot of changes throughout the club that they hope will lead to positive improvements over time. Despite some erratic on pitch first-team performances and results, I’ve seen encouraging signs of progress in the foundations of the club that give me hope there will be a more stable, sustainable and enjoyable future.

I think we’re lucky — because what was originally a gimmick by Tony Fernandes to bring Ferdinand on board, has indadvertedly led to positive intention and change. We need to make the most of it and ensure we make enough inroads so that if the inevitable happens, which it will, as we all know that the lifespan of the person in charge of football matters tends to be short, that further irreversible damage cannot be done by a bipolar and incompetent board.

There are a lot of posts and comments that make me realise there are plenty of people who don’t pay enough attention to the details of the work being done behind the scenes, or don’t understand them. Perhaps the hard truth is that there are many of us who don’t really know as much as we think we do about football and how the game works.

I’ve come to realise over time that our fan base is not as knowledgeable as I once thought it was. There’s a lot of naivety from the outside, but perhaps that’s also normal, because most of has have not been in a position where we have to compete and train daily in a competitive sporting environment, where our livelihoods and careers are on the line.

But if you really want some improvements, the devil is in the detail.

In terms of player recruitment, we’ve done really well this summer and overseen another overhaul of the squad, but in a fashion that’s much better suited to our requirements. Ramsey and Ferdinand wanted them in as early as possible, but the reality was that was never going to be the case and we were always going to reach the Transfer Deadline not knowing what the final squad would look like. Having said that, we got plenty of business done early and have put together and exciting looking squad that has potential to do well; now, next season and beyond.

If we want to talk about players, there’s lots of positives here. We’ve seen improvements to Charlie Austin and Matt Phillips’ games, improvements to Nedum Onouha’s passing and there’s been the emergence of young players like Michael Doughty, Darnell Furlong and Cole Kpekawa (recently called into the England U20 squad). Grant Hall has done better than expected in bursts too.

In Phillips’ and Austin’s cases, they could easily have got moves to other clubs, but perhaps they’ve come to realise a season in the Championship with someone willing to help work on their game and improve them is more beneficial to them in the longer term, and a better option than a potential one off season sitting on the bench somewhere? But don’t get confused by fitness and form, both players have had their ups and downs, as will others, as will the team. It happens, get over it.

We’ve signed several players looking for that “step up” and with a point to prove, such as Tjaronn Chery (who Les Ferdinand identified), Massimo Luongo (who Chris Ramsey wanted), Ben Gladwin, Grant Hall, Alex Smithies and more. Chery is a class act for this level, who we’ve already seen issue a public apology for his unacceptable behaviour (which shows that Ferdinand and Ramsey are on top of things). In Luongo we’ve an exciting player who Ramsey worked with and developed before, and one who’s current ability and future potential really excites me. In Gladwin we have a dark horse, a player who may emerge to surprise you as one of our key signings over time. We’ve even got our Jamie Mackie back, what’s not to like?

There are many of you complaining about the way these players are being used or not used, yet it was Ferdinand and Ramsey who brought them here in the first place. They know their strengths and weaknesses, and in many cases, know what they need to do to help develop them into players that can compete consistently. Hall played well, sure, but it was cited that he wasn’t ready for week-to-week action yet at this level, so can you imagine what would have happened if Hall played in matches like the Fulham one, where we got a drubbing? What would have it done to his confidence, because we know from experience that some supporters will be straight on certain players back, suggesting they’re done for or not good enough to play at this level. He is protecting players sensibly and has the right to make an informed decision to do that, some of them are still young men.

There are other signs, if you watch the interview with Andy Impey from this thread (great interview), where you hear about Ramsey’s input from top-to-bottom in the club. A man who is interest in the Under 7s right the way through to the first-team. A man who is willing to put the time and effort in to make sure the development and training of our players becomes more synchronised and harmonised. When was the last time you saw any QPR manager or coach doing that? Someone who cares for the well being of the entire football club and not just the first-team? Nice guy? It’s about time we bloody had some nice proper guys at the club.

There are a raft of players and staff who have commended Ramsey's coaching abilities as well, who better than Les Ferdinand himself? A man who has played for a number of top clubs and England, and who has worked with a number of players and staff himself over a decorated career? A man who worked with him at Spurs over several years and many different players.

Some of you only have eyes for the first-team.

Onto the first-team, and a little bit about tactics and team selection, if I may. It takes time to educate and build a playing style, philosophy and identity on the pitch. It doesn’t happen overnight, and it largely in the beginning relies on being brave as well as working with what you have at your disposal.

We are conceding a lot of goals because we are a work in progress. Believe me, Ramsey could just sit all the players back and do exactly what Harry Redknapp did and make us difficult to break down, but play one up top and hope that Austin can bang in the goals to fire us back to promotion. There was nothing sophisticated about that approach, it was done just to get results for instant promotion. The football at times was bland and boring as hell. But it’s doable, only it’s wholly focused on just the first-team and nothing else is in the mix for a sustainable future. Look what happened the last two times we went up? There was no foundation, just managers and players thrown together and a hope for the best approach based on big name signings. Complete rubbish, and yes, our darling Neil Warnock has to take his share of the blame as he was partly responsible for loading us up with a bunch of clowns and getting carried away himself, when he had a solid team already behind him. He as much as the board, undid all the good work he’d done, but in the same vein, he built a team around Adel Taarabt to win promotion — it wasn’t necessarily a team built for a sustainable future.

Ramsey isn’t sitting the team back, he’s giving them some license to become more open and expansive, but that exposes the defence more and will take time for players to adjust and understand their responsibilities in phases of play. Think of it this way — when players don’t get enough practice of dealing with phases of play because they’re always sat behind the ball, then the net result is often they are unprepared or inconsistent when the time comes in a competitive environment. That mentality and application is something that takes players and people time to consistently reproduce. Sitting back is the safe option, the easy way out. It does nothing to showcase skills or provide the real platform to develop and express.

There are not many defenders out there who can pass the ball well either, so that part takes an incredible amount of time to work on and can easily go wrong or not be without its problems. Sure, we should and need to be defending better, that’s stating the obvious, and currently Ramsey is not showing a willingness to just shut up shop and play in that predictable numbers and probability game that so many others do to see if a result can be grounded out. I like that, even if it is at the expense of some results, because it’s preparing the players for a future that is still very much tomorrow rather than today.

Even in Austin’s case, he’s being asked to get more involved in build up play — the very criticisms people have about him — or that he can’t play up top alone and only in a two. These are the things that will help Austin improve, the things that may get him into an England squad or a move to the type of “bigger” club he would like to go to in the end. Austin’s still scoring goals no matter what, so it only serves to help him, even if we could probably do with a different type of striker to play the way Ramsey really wants to play.

The next part is the basics. The style we have is more suitable for away matches at the moment, which is why we’ve looked more attractive on the road because the opposition have to take the game to us. The onus is on them to attack and our strengths are very much suited to the counter attack. At home, when the onus is on us to attack, we’ve not quite got the understanding and know how yet to break teams down. That part also comes with time, especially with new teams and players — and thirdly — the obvious one — is we’ve not done as well as we’d have liked when we are pressed as a team. So when teams come chasing us around the back, we’re reverting to a more direct style of play and going away from the passing game Ramsey wants to install. These things certainly take time, because you are asking players to stay brave and at the same time, risking mistakes and silly goals. We can’t have it all ways, there are going to be teething issues, and as has been said many a time over the years, QPR’s problems are way deeper than who the manager or head coach is.

Temperament is a key fundamental of football. The amount of people suggesting we’ve had enough time already or the squad should be doing better than they are on paper, is naïve. You can only learn about someone’s temperament in the trenches over a lengthy period of time, and how they react to key moments in matches. This might be things like trying to hold onto a lead away or at home, trying to equalise, how you react when going behind, what your response is when you are looking like you’re in for a drubbing, how you deal with pressure from the crowd, or being bullied on the pitch by physical, technical or fast players, or dealing with bad patches of form and disappointment, or dealing with being expected to play and perform consistently week on week, or being expected to be rotated or brought on, or dealing with personal problems and how they impact you in the work place, returning from injuries, and so on. And this stuff works together in a psychological way when you blend and mix different personalities and characters. Some people rub off well on others and some don’t, leading to more positive or more negative outcomes to these scenarios.

Ramsey may not be the long term solution for Rangers, I’ve said that in the past, but he is certainly a tremendous candidate for getting the building blocks in place. He’s worked quietly and subtlety on a lot of this stuff, and some of it is just par of the course and a natural point of where we are. But if this is not done now, it will be the same old story for QPR, and it will simply be the next manager or coach that the majority will lambast for not being good enough. So we just go round and round in circles as we’ve been doing over the last 5-6-7-8 years or whatever, and with memories like a goldfish. Honestly. I just find it so bizarre, how so much blame just gets attached with so little substance or understanding to things. He is literally more qualified than many to do this work. And this work is huge, there is no manager or coach out there capable of ticking all of the boxes to do what we need to do. It’s about opportunity and team work, and allowing people to have the freedom to develop and express themselves with support.

The worst of all this for me is I feel like I’ve been robbed. Everyone will talk about that Wembley win and how amazing it was, but I’m a man with standards and pride. I disliked so much about the way QPR was being treated and run, that it soiled my enjoyment of the occasion and spoiled how I’d dreamed about experiencing this since being a little boy.

Sure, even though I’ll take it, and it was incredible, it still wasn’t how I wanted to experience my QPR at Wembley for the first-time and achieving that win. It curbed and put a ceiling on the excitement and feelings I would have otherwise been able to let go had it been a club that represented everything I believed in and grew up with.

But it’s also why I know what I’m willing to accept and put up with now. I’ve seen everything I wanted to see and dreamed about as a kid. I won’t ever get that first experience in the way I wanted because it’s happened now and beggars can’t be choosers sometimes. And melodramatic or not, it allows me to make a stand on how I want the club to represent me and the community its from.

But what I’m seeing now is standards, ethics and a demand for common courtesy and respect slowly being restored, and that makes me very content and happy. I can look past the results and performances for now, because for some years, they or who the manager was, didn’t really matter.

Redknapp came here and found a tin pot football club that was beneath him. That’s why he treated us the way we did — we were not worth his time. The work being done is about the bigger picture, to restore the standards and pride that have been lacking for so long and to make QPR a respectable place to work again — for the manager and all.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2015 0:00]
Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 00:26 - Oct 3 with 1803 viewsisawqpratwcity

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 23:58 - Oct 2 by Neil_SI

Ramsey is the “Head Coach” at QPR. He isn’t the manager, so those who bash him because they don’t think he’s a good enough manager, well that’s not what his role or position is.

It was crystal clear in the announcement what his title and role at the club is:
http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/chris-ramsey-appointed-qpr-head-coach-2018-246

With that out of the way — the key phrase in all of this is what David McIntyre alluded to in his article — which is whether or not Ramsey can install a “winning mentality” throughout the club over time. That is the hardest part for anybody involved in looking after football matters whether they are a Head Coach or a Manager, and goes way beyond the first-team. There are not many clubs with a wholly winning mentality — so the jury is rightly out on that one — but it can only be answered over time. Ramsey himself calls this developing “a culture of excellence”.

Both Ramsey and Ferdinand have already made a lot of changes throughout the club that they hope will lead to positive improvements over time. Despite some erratic on pitch first-team performances and results, I’ve seen encouraging signs of progress in the foundations of the club that give me hope there will be a more stable, sustainable and enjoyable future.

I think we’re lucky — because what was originally a gimmick by Tony Fernandes to bring Ferdinand on board, has indadvertedly led to positive intention and change. We need to make the most of it and ensure we make enough inroads so that if the inevitable happens, which it will, as we all know that the lifespan of the person in charge of football matters tends to be short, that further irreversible damage cannot be done by a bipolar and incompetent board.

There are a lot of posts and comments that make me realise there are plenty of people who don’t pay enough attention to the details of the work being done behind the scenes, or don’t understand them. Perhaps the hard truth is that there are many of us who don’t really know as much as we think we do about football and how the game works.

I’ve come to realise over time that our fan base is not as knowledgeable as I once thought it was. There’s a lot of naivety from the outside, but perhaps that’s also normal, because most of has have not been in a position where we have to compete and train daily in a competitive sporting environment, where our livelihoods and careers are on the line.

In terms of player recruitment, we’ve done really well this summer and overseen another overhaul of the squad, but in a fashion that’s much better suited to our requirements. Ramsey and Ferdinand wanted them in as early as possible, but the reality was that was never going to be the case and we were always going to reach the Transfer Deadline not knowing what the final squad would look like. Having said that, we got plenty of business done early and have put together and exciting looking squad that has potential to do well; now, next season and beyond.

If we want to talk about players, there’s lots of positives here. We’ve seen improvements to Charlie Austin and Matt Phillips’ games, improvements to Nedum Onouha’s passing and there’s been the emergence of young players like Michael Doughty, Darnell Furlong and Cole Kpekawa (recently called into the England U20 squad). Grant Hall has done better than expected in bursts too.

In Phillips’ and Austin’s cases, they could easily have got moves to other clubs, but perhaps they’ve come to realise a season in the Championship with someone willing to help work on their game and improve them is more beneficial to them in the longer term, and a better option than a potential one off season sitting on the bench somewhere? But don’t get confused by fitness and form, both players have had their ups and downs, as will others, as will the team. It happens, get over it.

We’ve signed several players looking for that “step up” and with a point to prove, such as Tjaronn Chery (who Les Ferdinand identified), Massimo Luongo (who Chris Ramsey wanted), Ben Gladwin, Grant Hall, Alex Smithies and more. Chery is a class act for this level, who we’ve already seen issue a public apology for his unacceptable behaviour (which shows that Ferdinand and Ramsey are on top of things). In Luongo we’ve an exciting player who Ramsey worked with and developed before, and one who’s current ability and future potential really excites me. In Gladwin we have a dark horse, a player who may emerge to surprise you as one of our key signings over time. We’ve even got our Jamie Mackie back, what’s not to like?

There are many of you complaining about the way these players are being used or not used, yet it was Ferdinand and Ramsey who brought them here in the first place. They know their strengths and weaknesses, and in many cases, know what they need to do to help develop them into players that can compete consistently. Hall played well, sure, but it was cited that he wasn’t ready for week-to-week action yet at this level, so can you imagine what would have happened if Hall played in matches like the Fulham one, where we got a drubbing? What would have it done to his confidence, because we know from experience that some supporters will be straight on certain players back, suggesting they’re done for or not good enough to play at this level. He is protecting players sensibly and has the right to make an informed decision to do that, some of them are still young men.

There are other signs, if you watch the interview with Andy Impey from this thread (great interview), where you hear about Ramsey’s input from top-to-bottom in the club. A man who is interest in the Under 7s right the way through to the first-team. A man who is willing to put the time and effort in to make sure the development and training of our players becomes more synchronised and harmonised. When was the last time you saw any QPR manager or coach doing that? Someone who cares for the well being of the entire football club and not just the first-team? Nice guy? It’s about time we bloody had some nice proper guys at the club.

There are a raft of players and staff who have commended Ramsey's coaching abilities as well, who better than Les Ferdinand himself? A man who has played for a number of top clubs and England, and who has worked with a number of players and staff himself over a decorated career? A man who worked with him at Spurs over several years and many different players.

Onto the first-team, and a little bit about tactics and team selection, if I may. It takes time to educate and build a playing style, philosophy and identity on the pitch. It doesn’t happen overnight, and it largely in the beginning relies on being brave as well as working with what you have at your disposal.

We are conceding a lot of goals because we are a work in progress. Believe me, Ramsey could just sit all the players back and do exactly what Harry Redknapp did and make us difficult to break down, but play one up top and hope that Austin can bang in the goals to fire us back to promotion. There was nothing sophisticated about that approach, it was done just to get results for instant promotion. The football at times was bland and boring as hell. But it’s doable, only it’s wholly focused on just the first-team and nothing else is in the mix for a sustainable future. Look what happened the last two times we went up? There was no foundation, just managers and players thrown together and a hope for the best approach based on big name signings. Complete rubbish, and yes, our darling Neil Warnock has to take his share of the blame as he was partly responsible for loading us up with a bunch of clowns and getting carried away himself, when he had a solid team already behind him. He as much as the board, undid all the good work he’d done, but in the same vein, he built a team around Adel Taarabt to win promotion — it wasn’t necessarily a team built for a sustainable future.

Ramsey isn’t sitting the team back, he’s giving them some license to become more open and expansive, but that exposes the defence more and will take time for players to adjust and understand their responsibilities in phases of play. Think of it this way — when players don’t get enough practice of dealing with phases of play because they’re always sat behind the ball, then the net result is often they are unprepared or inconsistent when the time comes in a competitive environment. That mentality and application is something that takes players and people time to consistently reproduce. Sitting back is the safe option, the easy way out. It does nothing to showcase skills or provide the real platform to develop and express.

There are not many defenders out there who can pass the ball well either, so that part takes an incredible amount of time to work on and can easily go wrong or not be without its problems. Sure, we should and need to be defending better, that’s stating the obvious, and currently Ramsey is not showing a willingness to just shut up shop and play in that predictable numbers and probability game that so many others do to see if a result can be grounded out. I like that, even if it is at the expense of some results, because it’s preparing the players for a future that is still very much tomorrow rather than today.

Even in Austin’s case, he’s being asked to get more involved in build up play — the very criticisms people have about him — or that he can’t play up top alone and only in a two. These are the things that will help Austin improve, the things that may get him into an England squad or a move to the type of “bigger” club he would like to go to in the end. Austin’s still scoring goals no matter what, so it only serves to help him, even if we could probably do with a different type of striker to play the way Ramsey really wants to play.

The next part is the basics. The style we have is more suitable for away matches at the moment, which is why we’ve looked more attractive on the road because the opposition have to take the game to us. The onus is on them to attack and our strengths are very much suited to the counter attack. At home, when the onus is on us to attack, we’ve not quite got the understanding and know how yet to break teams down. That part also comes with time, especially with new teams and players — and thirdly — the obvious one — is we’ve not done as well as we’d have liked when we are pressed as a team. So when teams come chasing us around the back, we’re reverting to a more direct style of play and going away from the passing game Ramsey wants to install. These things certainly take time, because you are asking players to stay brave and at the same time, risking mistakes and silly goals. We can’t have it all ways, there are going to be teething issues, and as has been said many a time over the years, QPR’s problems are way deeper than who the manager or head coach is.

Temperament is a key fundamental of football. The amount of people suggesting we’ve had enough time already or the squad should be doing better than they are on paper, is naïve. You can only learn about someone’s temperament in the trenches over a lengthy period of time, and how they react to key moments in matches. This might be things like trying to hold onto a lead away or at home, trying to equalise, how you react when going behind, what your response is when you are looking like you’re in for a drubbing, how you deal with pressure from the crowd, or being bullied on the pitch by physical, technical or fast players, or dealing with bad patches of form and disappointment, or dealing with being expected to play and perform consistently week on week, or being expected to be rotated or brought on, or dealing with personal problems and how they impact you in the work place, returning from injuries, and so on. And this stuff works together in a psychological way when you blend and mix different personalities and characters. Some people rub off well on others and some don’t, leading to more positive or more negative outcomes to these scenarios.

Ramsey may not be the long term solution for Rangers, I’ve said that in the past, but he is certainly a tremendous candidate for getting the building blocks in place. He’s worked quietly and subtlety on a lot of this stuff, and some of it is just par of the course and a natural point of where we are. But if this is not done now, it will be the same old story for QPR, and it will simply be the next manager or coach that the majority will lambast for not being good enough. So we just go round and round in circles as we’ve been doing over the last 5-6-7-8 years or whatever, and with memories like a goldfish. Honestly. I just find it so bizarre, how so much blame just gets attached with so little substance or understanding to things. He is literally more qualified than many to do this work. And this work is huge, there is no manager or coach out there capable of ticking all of the boxes to do what we need to do. It’s about opportunity and team work, and allowing people to have the freedom to develop and express themselves with support.

The worst of all this for me is I feel like I’ve been robbed. Everyone will talk about that Wembley win and how amazing it was, but I’m a man with standards and pride. I disliked so much about the way QPR was being treated and run, that it soiled my enjoyment of the occasion and spoiled how I’d dreamed about experiencing this since being a little boy.

Sure, even though I’ll take it, and it was incredible, it still wasn’t how I wanted to experience my QPR at Wembley for the first-time and achieving that win. It curbed and put a ceiling on the excitement and feelings I would have otherwise been able to let go had it been a club that represented everything I believed in and grew up with.

But it’s also why I know what I’m willing to accept and put up with now. I’ve seen everything I wanted to see and dreamed about as a kid. I won’t ever get that first experience in the way I wanted because it’s happened now and beggars can’t be choosers sometimes. And melodramatic or not, it allows me to make a stand on how I want the club to represent me and the community its from.

But what I’m seeing now is standards, ethics and a demand for common courtesy and respect slowly being restored, and that makes me very content and happy. I can look past the results and performances for now, because for some years, they or who the manager was, didn’t really matter.

Redknapp came here and found a tin pot football club that was beneath him. That’s why he treated us the way we did — we were not worth his time. The work being done is about the bigger picture, to restore the standards and pride that have been lacking for so long and to make QPR a respectable place to work again — for the manager and all.

Neil, your pain is tangible.

You need a good shag to clear the custard!

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 01:18 - Oct 3 with 1776 viewsPunteR

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 14:49 - Oct 2 by stuabd

Sorry Neil, but some of that is melodramatic nonsense. As if Ferdinand and Ramsay are our last hope! Are you seriously arguing that without Ramsay there is no future?

Melodramatic is calling for Ramsey to be sacked after 9 games that reads 3 wins, 3 draws,3 losses.
That is utter nonsense.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 02:51 - Oct 3 with 1745 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 00:26 - Oct 3 by isawqpratwcity

Neil, your pain is tangible.

You need a good shag to clear the custard!

Fair enough, but go easy on him.
Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 07:45 - Oct 3 with 1703 viewsGetMeRangers

Neil... I wish the club would reprint that in the programme. If players at the club are ever in doubt, they should read it too. I even wish TF and the board would come out and say that this is precisely what they see and are hoping for.

A guess it is the torment that some suffer of wanting their team to be successful versus what is the right thing to do, that leads to some say they would prefer an HR season over CR reign.

The shift in direction of the club has reinvigorated my passion for QPR; one that had waned since NW was sacked. As long as CR is in position I will be doing my upmost to get to every game. Despite Fulham, I am really enjoying the club again. Even with Fulham, the pre and post match drinks and the away support, made sure that the game didnt ruin a great night out
Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 08:09 - Oct 3 with 1692 viewsessextaxiboy

Neil is the new Ingham ..
Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 11:26 - Oct 3 with 1617 viewsCHUBBS

I like Neil's way of thinking however the game is now ALL about money and the club is approximately 1/4 billion in debt so all long term plans are really short term plans.
It's TFs incessant obsession with throwing money at everything that has conditioned a large section of supporters into narrow minded opinions.
That's not a dig at anyone on here it's just the way it is.
Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 13:52 - Oct 3 with 1556 viewssevenhoop

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 23:58 - Oct 2 by Neil_SI

All very well Neil. But as long as he plays Henry in front of anyone who has a pair of boots and eligible, I'm conitunuing my one-man strike (this from someone about to notch up 50 years as a season ticket holder).
Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 14:43 - Oct 3 with 1537 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 13:52 - Oct 3 by sevenhoop

All very well Neil. But as long as he plays Henry in front of anyone who has a pair of boots and eligible, I'm conitunuing my one-man strike (this from someone about to notch up 50 years as a season ticket holder).

Some of the dross, dramas, and dire times you've seen in 50 years and it's two months of Karl Henry that makes you stay away?

I don't get it.
Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 15:07 - Oct 3 with 1523 viewssevenhoop

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 14:43 - Oct 3 by BazzaInTheLoft

Some of the dross, dramas, and dire times you've seen in 50 years and it's two months of Karl Henry that makes you stay away?

I don't get it.

He has been toilet from the very first game we played him. The whole supporting base knows he's utterly shite. We have at least 5 or 6 midfielders who should play before him. I am tired of seeing manager playing people who we all know shouldn't. I am tired of the bollocks football that we have played for years. I just want to turn up and be entertained, even if we don't go up. I'm tired of Karl Henry taking an age to get the ball under, get robbed in possession, offering nothing to the team, not even protecting.the back four which is supposed to be his job. Tired of ponderous no-pace football. I'm tired that Warburton was available and we didn't move for him when we all knew CR wasn't going to cut it This season has broken me, that Watford performance killed me and I have not recovered. I never thought I'd say it, but I am (almost) beyond caring
Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 17:27 - Oct 3 with 1463 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Food for thought from Dave Mac... on 15:07 - Oct 3 by sevenhoop

He has been toilet from the very first game we played him. The whole supporting base knows he's utterly shite. We have at least 5 or 6 midfielders who should play before him. I am tired of seeing manager playing people who we all know shouldn't. I am tired of the bollocks football that we have played for years. I just want to turn up and be entertained, even if we don't go up. I'm tired of Karl Henry taking an age to get the ball under, get robbed in possession, offering nothing to the team, not even protecting.the back four which is supposed to be his job. Tired of ponderous no-pace football. I'm tired that Warburton was available and we didn't move for him when we all knew CR wasn't going to cut it This season has broken me, that Watford performance killed me and I have not recovered. I never thought I'd say it, but I am (almost) beyond caring

Mate, I'm not being disrespectful because you've had a lot of years watching Rangers more than me.

Firstly, wasn't he (Henry) the runner up player of the year last year?

Secondly, as you walk out of Loftus Rd this afternoon at the very least you must admit you have been entertained and the pace was fast?

Thirdly, the bucket collections, being locked out of the training ground, Faurlingate, selling Ferdinand, boardroom gun antics, Ned Zelic, Mark Hately, Zesh Rehman, Paul Hart! Surely all this occurred during was periods in our history than this?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024