Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Favourite Place In England 04:25 - Oct 5 with 13750 viewsFredManRave

When you've been brought up in Crawley and then having moved around London, spent 8 years living in Croydon (Sorry Captain!), then most places in England, by comparison, seem good.

If I had to choose my favourite place to visit and one I'd actually like to end up living in then I'd choose Bexhill. It's like going back in time. First and foremost I would always choose a town/place by the coast and Bexhill has the added charm of being so laid back it's almost horizontal, it has a calm and tranquility about it that you can't begin to put a price on and the fish and chips are out of this world! The average age of the residents may well be 87 and there might not be any jobs there but a great place to be beside the seaside with my wife and two kids.

Yours?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Favourite Place In England on 16:19 - Oct 5 with 3002 viewshoof_hearted

Favourite Place In England on 13:39 - Oct 5 by bosh67

My girlfriend's bed!

Agreed. Especially when she's just changed the sheets.
Favourite Place In England on 17:05 - Oct 5 with 2958 viewsHantsR

In common with some other posters, I too have lived and worked all over the world and in some fantastic remote places, then untainted by tourists. However even living on a tropical beach in the middle of the Pacific, I yearned for an overcast, possibly drizzly Saturday afternoon at LR or adapting to and enjoying the sometimes capricious, sometimes glorious seasonal weather in Blighty. I've lived in New Malden, Bromley, Forest Hill, Walthamstow and Sunbury before moving my permanent base to Hampshire, not too far from Winchester. Here I can still get home from a 15.00 KO by 18.30 so that's very important to me. Apart from that I enjoy living in a quiet leafy suburb adjacent to some beautiful countryside and yet within easy reach of the coast, New Forest, London and the odd city or two, so I don't really yearn to relocate to places mentioned. Dorset, Devon and Cornwall all highly desirable places to stay but the big draw of any place is family and friends - so that's my favourite place in England!
Favourite Place In England on 17:22 - Oct 5 with 2944 viewsbosh67

Favourite Place In England on 16:19 - Oct 5 by hoof_hearted

Agreed. Especially when she's just changed the sheets.

Perfect. Not a better place on a Sunday afternoon!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Favourite Place In England on 17:48 - Oct 5 with 2923 viewsPunteR

Richmond park is high up on my list. Born in Roehampton,spent my first few years in Barnes then my folks moved to Richmond. They still live there.
Love going back now and then and visit the park which is about a 5 min walk from my folks house. A beer on Richmond hills The Roebuck is a treat.
Agree with what's already been said that there are stunning places to visit all over England.
Devon and Cornwall especially.

[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 8:51]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Favourite Place In England on 19:10 - Oct 5 with 2868 viewsDorse

Favourite Place In England on 13:39 - Oct 5 by bosh67

My girlfriend's bed!

His girlfriend's bed is far too crowded. I liked it better when it was just the eight of us.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2015 19:20]

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Favourite Place In England on 19:18 - Oct 5 with 2865 viewsdaveB

I love Weymouth, went several times as a kid and been in recent years with my wife and son and is just a beautiful part of the world
Favourite Place In England on 19:43 - Oct 5 with 2837 viewsHollowayRanger

for an hour
the bunny lounge tuffnell park
for a day
tintagel
for a holiday
perranporth
for life
sherringham

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Favourite Place In England on 20:33 - Oct 5 with 2805 viewsBlackCrowe

love love love Cornwall - rugged, slightly dark and stunning beautiful (but enough about me).

Happiest memories were in my flat in Brook Green W14 - batchelor life, sessions in the Havelock on Masbro Road, a short hop from Loftus Road, cycling up to Portabello Road on a Saturday morning, lazing with girlfriends on the Green on a sunday day. All lush.

But happy enough where I am close to Richmond Park, the Thames, quick train into the city. Quite fancy Somerset as a county one day when the kids have flown.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Login to get fewer ads

Favourite Place In England on 20:54 - Oct 5 with 2789 viewsLblock

Favourite place in England -- The Cotswolds.

A huge area I know but love the place with some cracking towns and villages

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Favourite Place In England on 21:17 - Oct 5 with 2762 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Favourite Place In England on 20:54 - Oct 5 by Lblock

The Slaughters are lovely aren't they. Bizarre name for such pretty places.
Favourite Place In England on 21:22 - Oct 5 with 2751 viewsLblock

Favourite Place In England on 21:17 - Oct 5 by CroydonCaptJack

The Slaughters are lovely aren't they. Bizarre name for such pretty places.

Indeed mate - Lower & Upper both fantastic

My favourite place in The Wolds is The a Feathered Nest in Nether Westcote
Stunning boozer

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Favourite Place In England on 22:37 - Oct 5 with 2716 viewsFredManRave

Favourite Place In England on 09:42 - Oct 5 by CroydonCaptJack

No offence taken Fred re Croydon.
I actually live in Purley but more people have heard of Croydon. The centre is extremely dated and ugly (but undergoing transformation courtesy of Westfield etc) but there are some nice places in the surrounding areas. And to call it 'hell on earth' is just playing to the traditional view of Croydon. I am surprised someone working here says that.

But Bexhill on sea? Seriously?? Get your pipe and slippers mate.

I lived in Tavistock Road, a Molotov cocktails throw away from the centre, but at the time (up to 15 years ago) it served it's purpose due to location, location, location, more than anything oh and there was the Blue Orchid! Surrounding areas are nice though, as you say.
Would be interested to hear what FreddieEddie does to call it "Hell on Earth"!

As for Bexhill On Sea, bearing in mind I have family there so always base myself there on visits back to England and the fact that I've lived in Mendoza for over 10 years there's alot to be said for a small, quiet, picturesque,and very safe seaside town. I've got family in Hastings and Pevensey, two extremes, so Bexhill just fits in perfectly in the middle.

Interesting replies so far on this thread. Weymouth certainly getting alot of mentions along with the predictable Cornwall/Devon ones.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Favourite Place In England on 23:01 - Oct 5 with 2681 viewsCiderwithRsie

Favourite Place In England on 20:54 - Oct 5 by Lblock

Three views from my usual Sunday afternoon walk (images not by me, courtesy of wikipedia ""View from Haresfield Beacon - geograph.org.uk - 1120282" by Alan Ford. Licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0 via Commons, Richard Halling and Mike Hartland respectively)

Favourite Place In England on 23:04 - Oct 5 with 2679 viewsPommyhoop

The Quantock Hills near my Sisters village in Somerset.

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Favourite Place In England on 23:27 - Oct 5 with 2660 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Favourite Place In England on 22:37 - Oct 5 by FredManRave

I lived in Tavistock Road, a Molotov cocktails throw away from the centre, but at the time (up to 15 years ago) it served it's purpose due to location, location, location, more than anything oh and there was the Blue Orchid! Surrounding areas are nice though, as you say.
Would be interested to hear what FreddieEddie does to call it "Hell on Earth"!

As for Bexhill On Sea, bearing in mind I have family there so always base myself there on visits back to England and the fact that I've lived in Mendoza for over 10 years there's alot to be said for a small, quiet, picturesque,and very safe seaside town. I've got family in Hastings and Pevensey, two extremes, so Bexhill just fits in perfectly in the middle.

Interesting replies so far on this thread. Weymouth certainly getting alot of mentions along with the predictable Cornwall/Devon ones.

The Blue Orchid, that takes me back Fred!
I was only pulling your leg about Bexhill mate. I have been there. My mother-in law had a place in Battle and that wasn't too far away. Its a nice place.
Some interesting posts on here. I am really happy where I live. The commute into London is very easy from here but you are only a short drive to the coast and the M25 and Gatwick are all very convenient. In five minutes I can be in the countryside. Yes, thinking about it 'hell on earth' isn't too bad!!
I agree with the posters about Cornwall and the Cotswolds though and I had a week in Bakewell once and was very pleasantly surprised by the Peak District. I am also very fond of the Lake District although the west side (copyright Ali G) is a bit shabby. I also had a week in Oban in Scotland once and it was incredibly beautiful. Takes forever to get around up there though so that would get on my nerves a bit.
Favourite Place In England on 23:45 - Oct 5 with 2577 viewsdaveinmelbourne

Lovely thread this one, living down here but came back to the UK in August (and watching us beat the mighty Rotherham 4-2), I'm always amazed how green the UK is.
Favourite places:
Blakeney Point, North Norfolk - stunning and wild
Lowestoft Beach - childhood memories, amazing sand even tho the town is now a dump.
Writtle Village Green- always wanted to live there, a typical English village green....to me anyway!
Tintern Abbey - those ruins seem so magical.

Even though Melbourne is now home, I miss those different hues of green which are everywhere.
Favourite Place In England on 23:58 - Oct 5 with 2568 viewsPommyhoop

This image always reminds me of home. Being born in its shadow and later on visiting my Grandad who lived within sight of it on The Patmore.
So glad the Scum didn't get their grubby little hands on it..

Favourite Place In England on 01:38 - Oct 6 with 2534 viewsisawqpratwcity

Favourite Place In England on 09:42 - Oct 5 by CroydonCaptJack

No offence taken Fred re Croydon.
I actually live in Purley but more people have heard of Croydon. The centre is extremely dated and ugly (but undergoing transformation courtesy of Westfield etc) but there are some nice places in the surrounding areas. And to call it 'hell on earth' is just playing to the traditional view of Croydon. I am surprised someone working here says that.

But Bexhill on sea? Seriously?? Get your pipe and slippers mate.

I can't hear Bexhill-on-Sea without thinking of the sublime "Adolf Hitler and My Part in His Downfall".

Oh, Cornwall for me. Maybe some of the Neolithic sites in Wiltshire and Devon.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Favourite Place In England on 02:50 - Oct 6 with 2519 viewsPommyhoop

Favourite Place In England on 15:40 - Oct 5 by CroydonCaptJack

What would I know, I have only lived here 44 years (apart from three years in Hong Kong)
Seems quite a few people disagree it is 'hell on earth' given it is the most populous borough as well.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2015 15:46]

Big shout out for Skeggy. Lincolnshire is not the most stunning countryside but my Inlaws bought
into a Sweet shop/ newsagents just off the front at Skeggy and we spent a couple of brilliant trips up there until they got homesick for The Smoke and came back.Proper English seaside town...

Favourite Place In England on 07:20 - Oct 6 with 2485 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Favourite Place In England on 01:38 - Oct 6 by isawqpratwcity

I can't hear Bexhill-on-Sea without thinking of the sublime "Adolf Hitler and My Part in His Downfall".

Oh, Cornwall for me. Maybe some of the Neolithic sites in Wiltshire and Devon.

Ya, was making me think of Milligan as wel!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Favourite Place In England on 07:27 - Oct 6 with 2481 viewsAgedR

Favourite Place In England on 08:45 - Oct 5 by Toast_R

I'm with Loftboy, Weymouth is a great place, I like most of Dorset to be honest. The wife and I have a 10 year plan in which to be living there.
Brought up in Morden, wasn't too bad in 80s and have fond memories my mum taking me shopping in the the local shops but over the years they've all closed down, it's horrible now.
Moved to Carshalton Beeches for 6 years and now live in Molesey since 2012 and I really like it. Just far out enough to be away from the hussle and bussle but 20 Minutes up the A3 and your in town again.

Great thread by the way, I think an a favourite place will often require a connection from your past. For me Dorset and Devon the scene of many a happy family holiday back in the early 80s.

I've been thinking about a particular place in West Ward Ho! North Devon we had two wonderful family holidays there in what must have been 1984 and 1985. The holiday park was new when we went the first time, it was all wooden chalet's, had a small fun fair and arcade and the clubhouse had the old Star Wars Arcade machine in the foyer and those higher or lower card game machines. I've been meaning to re-visit one day with my brother but for the life of me I can't find it.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2015 8:54]

Westward Ho! is my choice Toastr.

I've been going down there for 30 years and seen it change quite a lot from an old fashioned Victorian bucket and spade resort to a more modern affair. There's good and bad in this of course.

It still retains its charm and hosts the Mini rally annually. You can also find the odd classic arcade. There's one called The Purple Penny, which might be the one you remember.

We have one of the old wooden chalets (the shed we call it).

It's my bolt hole. I absolutely love it, fresh cockles and a pint of Appledore Ale (you've got me started now).

Poll: Who do we want out of the way?

Favourite Place In England on 07:35 - Oct 6 with 2472 viewsizlingtonhoop

Favourite Place In England on 07:20 - Oct 6 by BrianMcCarthy

Ya, was making me think of Milligan as wel!

Bexhil Lil.
Favourite Place In England on 08:23 - Oct 6 with 2440 viewslondonscottish

In London I never get tired of the stretch of river between Westminster Bridge and Tower Bridge. So many iconic buildings and great views, especially looking from the south. If you're on the rived heading out the City and Canary Wharf come next. Eye-popping on a summer's day.

Outside of London I'd go for the North Norfolk coast. I love it up there and it's a bit off the beaten track.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Favourite Place In England on 08:44 - Oct 6 with 2418 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Favourite Place In England on 08:23 - Oct 6 by londonscottish

In London I never get tired of the stretch of river between Westminster Bridge and Tower Bridge. So many iconic buildings and great views, especially looking from the south. If you're on the rived heading out the City and Canary Wharf come next. Eye-popping on a summer's day.

Outside of London I'd go for the North Norfolk coast. I love it up there and it's a bit off the beaten track.

It is lovely but they don't call it 'London-on-Sea; for nothing. A lot of the locals have been priced out of the villages they were born in which is a shame.
Favourite Place In England on 09:24 - Oct 6 with 2396 viewslondonscottish

Favourite Place In England on 08:44 - Oct 6 by CroydonCaptJack

It is lovely but they don't call it 'London-on-Sea; for nothing. A lot of the locals have been priced out of the villages they were born in which is a shame.

True and I guess Burnham Market is a bad example what happens when posh London types decide to colonise somewhere. It's all black 4x4's with privacy glass, Hunter wellies and expensive dress shops. Might as well go to Fulham (apologies Konk but I'm sure you know what I mean).

Outside of there, to a visitor at least, it mostly looks fairly unspoilt.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024