Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
worst away day? 06:21 - Nov 25 with 24222 viewsYorkRanger

Reflecting on the 141 York supporters who travelled to Portsmouth last night to see the team beaten 6-0. Left me thinking about the worst away day that people have had. Could be unfriendly locals, the weather, or just the result.

There have been many, but for me the day I hosted a table at Elland Rd, for a group of predominantly Leeds supporters, when Brian Deane finally worked out how to score, is right up there...

Any offers?
worst away day? on 22:57 - Nov 27 with 3205 viewsTGRRRSSS

Touch wood I have never had that many grim aways like some mentioned other than seeing us lose generally.
I suppose Coventry at Ricoh when Shittu got sent off and we lost 3-0 was memorable for all the wrong reasons.
However I remember reading about one guys away day on LFW who somehow or other ended up in a drug addicts hostel in Sheffield or somewhere.
Not sure who it was but it was a hell of a story.
worst away day? on 01:22 - Nov 28 with 3147 viewssuperhoopdownunder

There have been a few - 2 that I recall were
Oxford away when were top of the Premier League in 1987/88 - missed my train, arrived late, walked 4 miles to ground with some other QPR fans only to be set upon by around 30 locals
I arrived at the ground in a bad way around half time - found out we were losing - we lost 2-0 and I think it pissed down when I got to the ground with no cover

Luton away in the FA Cup in 1987/88
I was told at the Box Office there was no need for a ticket and turn up on the night
My brother and I turned up were unable to get in
Leaving the ground we had around 15 guys start to surround us to attack us so I went up to a house pretending I lived there, knocked on a door and they moved on - found out later on QPR fans were knifed by Luton people - probably these scum bags
Got back to St Pancras station and found out we lost 1-0 without seeing any of the game
[Post edited 28 Nov 2015 1:30]
worst away day? on 04:39 - Nov 28 with 3118 viewsPattaya_Rs

worst away day? on 23:17 - Nov 25 by SydneyRs

This reminds me of the cup replay during the days of their away fan ban which didn't apply to cup games. Warren Neill OG I think and lost 1-0. The local idiots were well up for brightening up their otherwise miserable existence by taking a rare opportunity to ambush small groups of away fans before the game. Two of ours stabbed before that game and coins flying between the fans in adjoining terraces.

Pretty tasty outside afterwards too. I latched on to a large group of QPR looking for revenge purely because it felt safer being part of a group on the way back to the station. A few bottles were flying outside the station before we were finally able to get out of that hellhole.

Yes that was a long day and night.

We got in some dump of a pub in Luton early afternoon, on it all afternoon, got ambushed outside by a load of Luton with ammonia in fairy liquid bottles, socks with pool balls and blades. My mate got cut, and another mate we took back to Moorefield’s after the game as his eyes were bad.

I think in 83(?) at Luton got bit by a police dog jumping the traffic barriers, ripped a brand new pair of Fiorucci jeans, and ended up in Hillingdon hospital having few stitches.

Not my favorite place!
worst away day? on 07:14 - Nov 28 with 3093 viewsdistortR

worst away day? on 04:39 - Nov 28 by Pattaya_Rs

Yes that was a long day and night.

We got in some dump of a pub in Luton early afternoon, on it all afternoon, got ambushed outside by a load of Luton with ammonia in fairy liquid bottles, socks with pool balls and blades. My mate got cut, and another mate we took back to Moorefield’s after the game as his eyes were bad.

I think in 83(?) at Luton got bit by a police dog jumping the traffic barriers, ripped a brand new pair of Fiorucci jeans, and ended up in Hillingdon hospital having few stitches.

Not my favorite place!

Sounds like my day - you weren't with silly jim [r.i.p] and big steve, were you?
worst away day? on 09:08 - Nov 28 with 3050 viewsPattaya_Rs

worst away day? on 07:14 - Nov 28 by distortR

Sounds like my day - you weren't with silly jim [r.i.p] and big steve, were you?

Was with our lot from Hayes and Northolt lot..........We was in The Globe at Baker Street at lunchtime and someone had the bright idea to go on it in Luton.......sure the pub was called Cat and Fiddle, was a real shithole.......quite a few other Rangers in there when we left and it all kicked off .....
worst away day? on 10:14 - Nov 28 with 3035 viewsQPR1882

worst away day? on 07:52 - Nov 25 by TheChef

Port Vale was the last away game of the 98-99 season (before we beat Palace 6-0 on the last day to stay up). I seem to remember Steve Slade missing a couple of sitters that day, and then Carl Griffiths (?) getting the winner for them and winding us up.

Interesting scenes outside the ground after. Also a lot of us thought we were down, but then West Brom (?) got a late winner against some one which mean it came down to the last day. Plus towards the end of the game, I remember some nutter QPR fan getting on to the pitch and running all the way across the away end and throwing himself into the baying mob of Vale fans in the other corner of the ground.

Fun times!

Funny how things stick in your mind about some games, one thing I remember about that game is as it was kicking off outside next to our coaches was a big fck off copper standing there shouting at us " leave our boys alone " as Vale fans were getting kicked down the road.

As for the Game I think Crewe away when we drew 2-2 after being 2 up ( crouch got sent off for standing in the way of a free kick ) was a kick in the teeth.As was losing to Plymouth away when they won the league.
worst away day? on 10:20 - Nov 28 with 3031 viewsQPR1882

worst away day? on 21:34 - Nov 25 by SydneyRs

Forest away late 80s. Went with a forest mate, it was fcking freezing. Lost 4-0 and Nigel Clough scored a hat- trick in 4 minutes. Think it stayed the fastest in the top flight untill last season. Oh and we had a goal disallowed when 1-0 down too. Coldest I have ever felt.

Also Charlton away in their Selhurst days. Midweek cup game lost 1-0 and second half was delayed for ages because of af floodlights failure. Got thrown out during this despite the fact the cops couldn't see anything due to the darkness. Ended up going in the Charlton end to watch the last 15 mins with them laughing at us. About 4,000 there and in those days Charlton never beat anyone. Utterly miserable.

What made it worse about that Charlton game is we had the most obvious penalty turned down. I think Ray Charles would have spotted it.
worst away day? on 20:26 - Apr 24 with 2177 viewsTGRRRSSS

an oldie but a goodie, this season aways might have a few tales to add???
Login to get fewer ads

worst away day? on 20:28 - Apr 24 with 2173 viewsflynnbo

The 6-1 defeat at Leeds and this year at Hull spring straight to mind.
worst away day? on 20:46 - Apr 24 with 2128 viewsloftboy

worst away day? on 01:22 - Nov 28 by superhoopdownunder

There have been a few - 2 that I recall were
Oxford away when were top of the Premier League in 1987/88 - missed my train, arrived late, walked 4 miles to ground with some other QPR fans only to be set upon by around 30 locals
I arrived at the ground in a bad way around half time - found out we were losing - we lost 2-0 and I think it pissed down when I got to the ground with no cover

Luton away in the FA Cup in 1987/88
I was told at the Box Office there was no need for a ticket and turn up on the night
My brother and I turned up were unable to get in
Leaving the ground we had around 15 guys start to surround us to attack us so I went up to a house pretending I lived there, knocked on a door and they moved on - found out later on QPR fans were knifed by Luton people - probably these scum bags
Got back to St Pancras station and found out we lost 1-0 without seeing any of the game
[Post edited 28 Nov 2015 1:30]

We manged to get tickets outside after badgering every rangers fan that turned up, in the end Luton let the fans in without tickets after someone showed up with saturdays programme with the incorrect info in, it was raining coins all night, whoever swept that terrace after probably made a fortune.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

worst away day? on 22:19 - Apr 24 with 2042 viewsdezzar

Sheffield blades New Years DAy 1991 had the worst hangover ever and a chest infection , the prescription for this led to me spending most of the game in a sub zero crapper.think we lost 1 nil
worst away day? on 22:24 - Apr 24 with 2032 viewsstowmarketrange

worst away day? on 22:19 - Apr 24 by dezzar

Sheffield blades New Years DAy 1991 had the worst hangover ever and a chest infection , the prescription for this led to me spending most of the game in a sub zero crapper.think we lost 1 nil

And Wegerle missed a penalty and Sinton broke his leg.
worst away day? on 22:42 - Apr 24 with 2012 viewsdezzar

worst away day? on 22:24 - Apr 24 by stowmarketrange

It's all coming back , the horror
worst away day? on 22:49 - Apr 24 with 2004 viewsJohnMcCo

The first suggestion on here, the 4-2 loss at Chesterfield was actually one of my favourite ever away days. Had a great drink before the game and then got the bottle of sambucca we were trying to sneak in confiscated at the door but to be fair they were very lovely about it and directed us to a hut to collect it at the end. Again they were very lovely. Then as it was my birthday we went out for the night (in Leicester cos it was half way back home) and everyone was on great form.

I think it was the combination of being too drunk and happy to care much about the result and not being offended by the opponent, them being so nice and there not being much at stake. Poor Chesterfield, out of the league now. Plus it is madness I think to go that far away without some fun plans before and after, else it would be a desperate weekend.

I think London derbies upset me the most, which is why I have missed all the recent good ones v Fulham and the Filth.
worst away day? on 22:53 - Apr 24 with 1995 viewsstowmarketrange

worst away day? on 22:42 - Apr 24 by dezzar

It's all coming back , the horror

We stayed in Sheffield for 2 nights,including New Years Eve.All the pubs shut at 10.30 and we couldn’t find anywhere else open.First time in years I was in bed before the new year chimes rang out.
worst away day? on 09:24 - Apr 25 with 1903 viewseastside_r

worst away day? on 09:46 - Nov 25 by CamberleyR

Surely the 13th April 1996, Highfield Road has to be up there?

That day we were 3rd bottom but above Coventry with a 3 better goal difference although they had a game in hand. There was a point between Coventry in 2nd bottom and Southampton who were 5th bottom. Although our destiny wasn't in our own hands we had the best GD of all the bottom 5 so it was all still to play for especially as Saints had Champions elect Man Utd to play (it was the grey shirt day) that day.

Everything looked okay midway into the second half for a valuable point until expensive flop and second half substitute Eoin Fcking Jess popped up to score his only goal for Coventry. Gutting. You had hardly heard the Cov fans until then. Impey got sent off right at the death for chinning one of theirs as well, can't remember who it was.

A horrible, horrible feeling as we left the ground that day realizing that this was the game that relegated us effectively. What made it worse was finding out afterwards that Saints had beaten Man U and City had also won. A miserable weekend.

Looking back at our team that day, we never had a forward on the bench. Hateley lumbered around up front with Gallen but where was Danny Dichio that day? Anybody remember?
[Post edited 25 Nov 2015 9:50]

Was proper nasty outside but our group always assumed that the dickheads were a minority so we tried a couple of pubs on the way back to the station. I also studied in Coventry.

First pub we went to everyone was lovely, R's fans literally dancing with the locals. QPR fan recently returned from NZ did the full RU haka we were in full gallows humour mode.

Second pub was a very different matter, we lasted about five minutes. Bad choice their hoolies pub I was a fast runner but a few of our group got a few kicks. We knew that we were going down that day.

The 5-0 against Wimblebon ar Selhurst.

Any defeat at the filth, particularly one in the early 90's when although they had beaten us they came back up that weird tunnel they used to have. Kicking off spouting their usual vile racist bile.

Coming back from Sheffield Utd. sharing a carriage with our hoolies who assumed I was a police spotter horrible, horrible experience.
worst away day? on 09:43 - Apr 25 with 1871 viewsloftboy

worst away day? on 22:24 - Apr 24 by stowmarketrange

My mate had Wegerle to be top league scorer, when he placed the bet at the start of the season the bookie had to phone head office for odds and he got 66/1 that penalty miss was the difference between winning it and coming second.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

worst away day? on 11:58 - Apr 25 with 1802 viewsrobith

I was in a box for the 6-1 at Chelsea a few years back. I couldn't even go outside for the second half. I just sat in the box nailing all the beers (and rose once they'd run out) waiting for yet another home cheer to go up in between their booing of Anton Ferdinand
worst away day? on 12:27 - Apr 25 with 1760 viewsRANGERS4EVER

worst away day? on 11:58 - Apr 25 by robith

I was in a box for the 6-1 at Chelsea a few years back. I couldn't even go outside for the second half. I just sat in the box nailing all the beers (and rose once they'd run out) waiting for yet another home cheer to go up in between their booing of Anton Ferdinand

Thought it was an extremely strange coincidence that you had been in the box the same game as someone previously on this post, with the exact same story, only to realise it was you from two years ago!

Poll: Who would you most like to see at QPR?

worst away day? on 12:30 - Apr 25 with 1752 viewsLunarJetman

worst away day? on 08:21 - Nov 25 by enfieldargh

one that springs to mind not for any other reason other than that it was a shit day all round was away V Sunderland 20th October 1979.

Got soaked walking from the station to the ground, QPR wore Sunderlands away Blue kit because the kit man only bought our Red 2nd kit, we got stuffed 3-0, trudged back in the pouring brain to the station with a couple of ambushes on the way, got in the train and had the windows smashed in by bricks flying from an embankment just after leaving the station.

Also Shrewsbury away 1981, lost 2-1, broke down on the M6 on the way back and saw the team coach fly buy us.

It must have got quite messy with all that pouring brain...
worst away day? on 12:49 - Apr 25 with 1727 viewsLunarJetman

worst away day? on 12:32 - Nov 25 by Bushman

Cardiff Play off Final

The one and only time I got an official coach to and from the game.

Remember waiting over at Ariel Way for the coaches to leave at some ridiculously early time. By the time we stopped at the services about halfway there, a couple of blokes were already well tanked up.

When we arrived in Cardiff the organiser on the coach gave us the various times we would be leaving depending on when the game finished, extra time, penalties, etc and we all set off for the game.

After we lost, everyone was back in the coach about 15 minutes after the final whistle, except for the two plums who were hammered when we arrived. We couldn't leave without them and had to sit there in silence for an hour, waiting.....

When time finally clicked round the doors slammed shut and the driver was off sharpish with no sign of the missing pair.

For all I know they could still be stumbling around Cardiff now....
[Post edited 25 Apr 2018 12:50]
worst away day? on 12:50 - Apr 25 with 1725 viewsSydneyRs

Forest away in the 80s. Absolutely freezing cold, lost 4-0, Nigel bloody Clough got a hat-trick in 4 minutes and I travelled with a Forest supporting mate and had to endure his smugness all the way home. Utterly miserable.

Oh and I was hungover too.
worst away day? on 13:58 - Apr 25 with 1659 viewswombat

worst away day? on 12:50 - Apr 25 by SydneyRs

Forest away in the 80s. Absolutely freezing cold, lost 4-0, Nigel bloody Clough got a hat-trick in 4 minutes and I travelled with a Forest supporting mate and had to endure his smugness all the way home. Utterly miserable.

Oh and I was hungover too.

sheff weds away when paul I couldnt catch a cold barron was in goal

carlsisle in the cup one monday night prob 50 mof us went up bt train

any of the above already mentioned , we have had some god awful away performances over the years , I think its why I rarely went to a game sober in those days

Poll: which is your favouite foot

worst away day? on 14:02 - Apr 25 with 1644 viewsTrom

worst away day? on 07:39 - Nov 25 by Ranger78

Easy for me. As above, 2001 at Huddersfield when relegation was sealed. It was a Horrible horrible day out!

I'll forget a copper in full riot gear telling us to "F off back to big smoke " while laughing his head off

A close second was Port Vale the same season and I think just a few weeks before.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2015 7:42]

Probably wasn't laughing when they got relegated in a bizarre run of games going against them on the last day of the season!
worst away day? on 14:27 - Apr 25 with 1609 viewskingo

Looking through the various matches they bring back some memories, I will never ever forget or forgive Norwich. Luton, Coventry, Huddersfield and Port Vale were lively, as was Huddersfield loss in the cup in the early 80s. Personally, one of the worst for me was a 1-0 loss in the cup away at Doncaster in the mid 80s. Not just the result but afterwards it kicked off in the car park and our car got bricked. We ended up driving back to London with stoved in window in the freezing cold of January. Luckily ski jackets were the fashion but still bitter cold wind coming through for 3 hours.

RIP: Sniffer, Doug and Pat

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024