Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Black Cabs versus Uber 13:44 - Oct 14 with 30672 viewsBlackCrowe

30 minutes ago in St Martins Lane.

Me: Hi, do you take cards

Black cab: Read the sign mate - cash only. Now do you want a cab or not?

Me: It's alright, I'll get an Uber.

How to wreck your livelihood in one simple step

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Black Cabs versus Uber on 11:47 - Oct 16 with 4792 viewsRickyDicky

My daughter had an uber cab outside of London a while back. The driver wouldn't let her out until she gave him her mobile number. Anyway I called him later a read him his future. Scumbag.

Another occasion she had another telling her she had nice perfume and was pretty etc etc. Totally inappropriate.

Unlicensed scumbags in my limited opinion.

Poll: Where will we finish next Year. Starting early.

Black Cabs versus Uber on 12:08 - Oct 16 with 4776 viewsDiscodroids

Top tip for Uber Cab Drivers in East London and Essex Hinterlands.

When picking up my Mrs , My sister or my sons Girlfriend you may find it advantageous to your health not to ask them for Sex , Comment on how white women Dress like Whores and insist that they read the Koran .

Simply drop them off at the f ucking pub or tesco's with Level 42 on the radio you cnts.
[Post edited 16 Oct 2016 12:09]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Black Cabs versus Uber on 18:22 - Oct 16 with 4691 viewsBoston

Uber...for men.

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.Mbd899385ec7f9f3a1cdcd61835c9ea25o0&pid=15.1

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:31 - Mar 1 with 4339 viewsTacticalR

Engineer Susan Fowler's account of her year working at Uber's head office in San Francisco:

'The ramifications of these political games were significant: projects were abandoned left and right, OKRs were changed multiple times each quarter, nobody knew what our organizational priorities would be one day to the next, and very little ever got done. We all lived under fear that our teams would be dissolved, there would be another re-org, and we'd have to start on yet another new project with an impossible deadline. It was an organization in complete, unrelenting chaos.'

Reflecting On One Very, Very Strange Year At Uber
https://www.susanjfowler.com/blog/2017/2/19/reflecting-on-one-very-strange-year-

Air hostess clique

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:46 - Mar 1 with 4306 viewsNorthernr

You can talk about all manner of things on this, and it might well be different if I was a woman travelling by myself, but the simple cold hard fact is Uber charge Neil SI and me £20 to take us back to Muswell Hill from the Crown after matches and a black cab charges us between £50 and £60.

That gap is narrowing as Uber corner the market and start upping prices and introducing surge and such bolox as that but I'll take the extra £40 in my pocket and defeat in the moral debate cheers.

I'd use black cabs every day. much prefer them, and the drivers generally, but you can't charge three times as much for the same service and then bitch and moan when people go for the cheaper alternative. Charge less.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:59 - Mar 1 with 4257 viewsStraightR

I'm a satisfied Uber customer. My experience is that they charge less, use clean vehicles, their drivers are polite and the cars turn up quickly. I also like the fact that I don't need cash - I'm one of those people who uses contactless cards wherever possible - though I'm aware that black cabs have, belatedly, started to accept cards. My one issue with Uber is that the drivers don't always know where they're going and their navigation app seems to throw up some strange suggestions. But every time I've asked them they've been quite happy to change the route to my directions and wait until their app resets again.

On the other hand their corporate culture seems to lack something. Apart from the sexist stuff mentioned above I noticed this today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39124096
Black Cabs versus Uber on 16:33 - Mar 1 with 4159 viewskensalriser

Uber and black cabs isn't a good comparison. The real comparison is Uber and minicabs.

Through several means Uber has created an unsustainable false market with false prices, which will end because drivers who can't make enough money will drop away and prices will have to go up.

All that said, if price really is an issue, ride a bike or use public transport.

Also, the CEO is a first class wnker.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Black Cabs versus Uber on 16:48 - Mar 1 with 4101 viewsrobith

Tough one:

Uber - scummy company (see that report by a female engineer who recently left), concept of gig economy is ultra dangerous but they have cheap prices and all their drivers I have spoken to like them compared to what went before (Addison Lee which I understand isn't much better than indentured servitude

Black cabs are good (and will always use them for work as uber is increasingly garbage - turn up at the wrong place and refuse to meet you, don't know where they're going) but have taken the p!ss for years (I vividly recall being at uni and getting a cab from Holborn to Belsize Park and the guy needlessly drove around Russell Sq) so it's hard to have much sympathy for them.

Thankfully the night tube goes to Walthamstow so I just get the blue bullet all the way home on the rare occasion I'm out after bed time
Login to get fewer ads

Black Cabs versus Uber on 17:00 - Mar 1 with 4061 viewsToast_R

Colleague of mine who is registered blind has been refused entry to his waiting Uber cab before now as he had his guide dog in tow. The law says you cannot do that but this guy was quite the arsehole about it and even though my Colleague carries a protective sheet for the dog to lay down on, the driver simply didn't want to know despite being told he was actually breaking the law. Left him and the Guide Dog Winston in the p*ssing rain. That was nice.

One of those things I guess, the driver just happened to be very ignorant. It has happened at Restaurants too when we've been on a work lunch. Mostly foreign owned businesses who don't understand they're breaking the law by refusing a working Guide Dog entry. You can understand their issue I guess but rather then be apologetic they do tend to get irate and rude about it.

Personally speaking, I rate Uber for price and convenience and am a frequent user. I wouldn't even consider a Black Cab.
[Post edited 1 Mar 2017 17:02]
Black Cabs versus Uber on 17:47 - Mar 1 with 3983 viewsLblock

Black Cab drivers are jacking it in by their droves.
Two I know have virtually knocked it on the head and now do more days painting & decorating as "Uber's killed the game"

I used to love black cabs and still do but as most have said Uber slays them (at the moment) on price.
Also, the Uber App is blinding, so user friendly and I've only had a few issues which were resolved very quickly and amicably.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Black Cabs versus Uber on 17:57 - Mar 1 with 3954 viewsmcqpr10

Didn't use uber much until I broke my ankle a few months back. Brilliant cheap service. Always one nearby in london, have found the drivers friendly and car always in good nick. Black cabs are great, but far too exspenisve. Hate seeing the meter ticking away!
Black Cabs versus Uber on 18:01 - Mar 1 with 3946 viewsNov77

Uber passengers are currently paying only 40% of the cost of each ride. The rest is subsidised by ubers investors (Goldman Sachs, Google etc), that's why they lost around $3B last year.

This is called predatory pricing, selling goods or services at a loss in order to drive the competition out of business is illegal under uk and European law.

in you are using their app you are also supporting a company who doesn't pay uk tax.

How tax paying minicab companies and taxi drivers can compete on price with a company that pays no uk tax and has 60% of each fare subsidised by their venture capital investors is beyond me, equally beyond me is why anyone would support them.

When the competition is gone, and it soon will be, prices have to rise 150% just for them to break even. Think Goldman Sachs will be happy only breaking even? Dream on.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Black Cabs versus Uber on 18:45 - Mar 1 with 3869 viewsNorthernr

Black Cabs versus Uber on 18:01 - Mar 1 by Nov77

Uber passengers are currently paying only 40% of the cost of each ride. The rest is subsidised by ubers investors (Goldman Sachs, Google etc), that's why they lost around $3B last year.

This is called predatory pricing, selling goods or services at a loss in order to drive the competition out of business is illegal under uk and European law.

in you are using their app you are also supporting a company who doesn't pay uk tax.

How tax paying minicab companies and taxi drivers can compete on price with a company that pays no uk tax and has 60% of each fare subsidised by their venture capital investors is beyond me, equally beyond me is why anyone would support them.

When the competition is gone, and it soon will be, prices have to rise 150% just for them to break even. Think Goldman Sachs will be happy only breaking even? Dream on.

agree with all of this but the fact remains - we can pay £60 to get home from the crown (which is extortionate whichever way you slice it) or £20. What we going to do? The answer now of course is get the night tube, which we do, but before that started...

When I get my leccy bill, or my gas bill, or the council tax, or the water, or the home insurance or the payments on the sofa so I have somewhere to sit each month and I look in the bare cupboard that is my bank account there's nobody at SWALEC or Affinity of Barnet Council or House of Fraser or HSBC saying "we know you're a bit short, but we can see that you took the moral high ground and paid £60 for a ride home the other night instead of £20 so we're going to knock £40 off for you."

It's a tough, shitty, expensive city to live in this so if somebody offers to save you £40 that you can then shovel into a different corner of the black hole you take it.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 19:27 - Mar 1 with 3775 viewsBoston

Horse and trap anyone?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Black Cabs versus Uber on 19:43 - Mar 1 with 3737 viewsLongsufferingR

Black Cabs versus Uber on 19:27 - Mar 1 by Boston

Horse and trap anyone?

Just had one thanks.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 20:44 - Mar 1 with 3600 viewsdubaistu

How much tax do you think a BC pays on his £14k a week?
Black Cabs versus Uber on 21:17 - Mar 1 with 3556 viewskensalriser

Black Cabs versus Uber on 20:44 - Mar 1 by dubaistu

How much tax do you think a BC pays on his £14k a week?

Straw man argument. No comparison between self-employed individuals illegally evading tax and large corporations devising entire business models based on paying no tax - and of course Uber drivers are no less likely than any other cab drivers to file fraudulent tax returns.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Black Cabs versus Uber on 23:28 - Mar 1 with 3492 viewsMatch82

Cant speak to the UK but certainly dont think that this is true in the US.

Their CEO is all kinds of scumbag, their old surge pricing model was a joke (which actually stopped me using them for a few years) and I don't think they treat their drivers fairly (although may not be worse than minicabs).

But...they're cheaper than cabs, and it's generally a more pleasant experience as a passenger.

At least in the US, there is competition in the form of Lyft - has that made it over to the UK yet?
Black Cabs versus Uber on 03:46 - Mar 2 with 3439 viewstimcocking

Must say, london black cabs are the best in the world. The only major city where you get taken exactly where you want, always by the best route, without having to know where you are going beforehand. Try to take a cab in any big foreign city, you'll be lost for hours more often that not. They're superb, and you can usually have a good chat about the football as well.

Shame they cost so bloody much though.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 05:51 - Mar 2 with 3420 viewsBrisbaneR

I don't wish to join the Black Cab vs. Uber debate as I'm sure there are charming practitioners and d*ckheads found in both camps.

I will say though that I arrived at Heathrow a couple of years back and wanted to jump in a black cab to Addlestone (15-20 mins away). I was quoted 90 pound...so decided to get the bus which took an hour but cost about 3 quid...

I like the idea of the proper vetting of drivers and the application of standards, that's all good, but the market for a cheaper alternative shouldn't be surprising if your service is priced like this.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 10:35 - Mar 2 with 3304 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

I was recently on a walk and we stopped off in a pub which was holding a fundraiser for veterans of WWII. It was in aid of a trip to Normandy this summer to commemorate the landings there. All the veterans were brought to and from the pub near Biggin Hill for nothing by black cab drivers. To and from their doorsteps. For no cost. They will be doing the same thing in the summer. To and from Normandy.

I don't use cabs in general, I tend to walk/drive/use public transport. My only recent experience is with Uber and it seemed relatively fairly cheap and efficient.

Having said that I have a sneaky feeling that companies like Uber/Amazon could be the friendly face of our impending doom!
[Post edited 2 Mar 2017 11:45]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Black Cabs versus Uber on 11:00 - Mar 2 with 3273 viewsTacticalR

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:46 - Mar 1 by Northernr

You can talk about all manner of things on this, and it might well be different if I was a woman travelling by myself, but the simple cold hard fact is Uber charge Neil SI and me £20 to take us back to Muswell Hill from the Crown after matches and a black cab charges us between £50 and £60.

That gap is narrowing as Uber corner the market and start upping prices and introducing surge and such bolox as that but I'll take the extra £40 in my pocket and defeat in the moral debate cheers.

I'd use black cabs every day. much prefer them, and the drivers generally, but you can't charge three times as much for the same service and then bitch and moan when people go for the cheaper alternative. Charge less.

Fair enough. Most people would rather pay less than more.

It's unlikely any campaign against Uber would have any more effect than the old 'Buy British' campaigns of the 1960s and 1970s.

I had to take a minicab over to Walthamstow on Christmas Day as there was no public transport, and was chatting to the driver, a young Bangladeshi guy. The paradox was that he was singing the praises of Uber, and said he always uses it, but presumably wasn't making enough money actually working for it. There are quite a few videos on Youtube from drivers who have trouble making money from Uber, especially when all their costs are factored in. The recent row between the Uber CEO and the Uber driver captured on video was also about the driver losing money. (I haven't studied the gig economy, so this is all anecdotal).

The reason I posted Susan Fowler's story, was that it showed how inefficient and disorganised Uber was internally. Perhaps they have got so much money rolling in that that doesn't matter.

Air hostess clique

Black Cabs versus Uber on 11:44 - Mar 2 with 3216 viewsblacky200

Black Cabs versus Uber on 18:54 - Oct 14 by TW_R

Or alternatively learn how to use the Uber app. You can add the destination when booking a car.

Or just know that Heathrow airport is nowhere near Bishops Storford FFS.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 11:45 - Mar 2 with 3212 viewshoopdog

Black Cabs versus Uber on 15:46 - Mar 1 by Northernr

Black taxi from goldhawk rd to muswell hill Bdw Saturday night 10/30 £35/60p behave yourself
[Post edited 2 Mar 2017 11:47]
Black Cabs versus Uber on 11:49 - Mar 2 with 3188 viewsLunarJetman

Black Cabs versus Uber on 11:45 - Mar 2 by hoopdog

Black taxi from goldhawk rd to muswell hill Bdw Saturday night 10/30 £35/60p behave yourself
[Post edited 2 Mar 2017 11:47]

Mate, I'm sure this made sense in your head but not really sure what you're actually saying. I I suspect you're suggesting he's over inflating the cost of a cab but "10/30 £35/60p" didn't really make a lot of sense to me..
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024