Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Black Cabs versus Uber 13:44 - Oct 14 with 30675 viewsBlackCrowe

30 minutes ago in St Martins Lane.

Me: Hi, do you take cards

Black cab: Read the sign mate - cash only. Now do you want a cab or not?

Me: It's alright, I'll get an Uber.

How to wreck your livelihood in one simple step

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Black Cabs versus Uber on 11:59 - Mar 2 with 3277 viewshoopdog

Black Cabs versus Uber on 11:49 - Mar 2 by LunarJetman

Mate, I'm sure this made sense in your head but not really sure what you're actually saying. I I suspect you're suggesting he's over inflating the cost of a cab but "10/30 £35/60p" didn't really make a lot of sense to me..

I took a fare from goldhawk rd to Muswell Hill sat night at ten thirty came to £35. 60
Black Cabs versus Uber on 12:00 - Mar 2 with 3271 viewsMick_S

I do accept that I may be missing a point here, but Heathrow Airport, terminal 2, to Hillingdon = £25.00 plus the added pleasure of a 5/10/20/40% gratuity if I felt like it. Three and a half miles.

Won't be in a black cab next time.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Black Cabs versus Uber on 12:08 - Mar 2 with 3242 viewshoopdog

Black Cabs versus Uber on 12:00 - Mar 2 by Mick_S

I do accept that I may be missing a point here, but Heathrow Airport, terminal 2, to Hillingdon = £25.00 plus the added pleasure of a 5/10/20/40% gratuity if I felt like it. Three and a half miles.

Yes but you didn't wait 4 hours for the taxi but but the driver had to go through the feeder park which took him a minimum of 4hours try using gett black taxi app you'll be surprised
[Post edited 2 Mar 2017 12:11]
Black Cabs versus Uber on 12:12 - Mar 2 with 3234 viewsLongsufferingR

Black Cabs versus Uber on 12:08 - Mar 2 by hoopdog

Yes but you didn't wait 4 hours for the taxi but but the driver had to go through the feeder park which took him a minimum of 4hours try using gett black taxi app you'll be surprised
[Post edited 2 Mar 2017 12:11]

Are you writing these messages while you're driving?
Black Cabs versus Uber on 12:15 - Mar 2 with 3223 viewshoopdog

Black Cabs versus Uber on 12:12 - Mar 2 by LongsufferingR

Are you writing these messages while you're driving?

Black Cabs versus Uber on 12:52 - Mar 2 with 3171 viewsrobith

Black Cabs versus Uber on 12:00 - Mar 2 by Mick_S

Yeah my parents live in Hillingdon and we stayed the night to get a cab in the morning to Heathrow. Was stunned when they told me - minicab from Walthamstow was only £50
Black Cabs versus Uber on 12:54 - Mar 2 with 3169 viewsLunarJetman

Inbetween fares...
Black Cabs versus Uber on 12:55 - Mar 2 with 3167 viewsLunarJetman

Black Cabs versus Uber on 11:59 - Mar 2 by hoopdog

I took a fare from goldhawk rd to Muswell Hill sat night at ten thirty came to £35. 60

That makes more sense, thanks.

Still £15 more than the Uber though...
Login to get fewer ads

Black Cabs versus Uber on 13:48 - Mar 2 with 3098 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Black Cabs versus Uber on 12:55 - Mar 2 by LunarJetman

That makes more sense, thanks.

Still £15 more than the Uber though...

Which was his point I think.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 13:53 - Mar 2 with 3087 viewsNorthernr

Black Cabs versus Uber on 13:48 - Mar 2 by CroydonCaptJack

Which was his point I think.

Yeh it was. Full disclosure, it's Whetstone with a drop off in Muswell Hill and it's usually after midnight.

Also hailed a black cab on Shepherd's Bush Green a couple of seasons back to take an inebriated friend from QPR back to Hendon Central and the geezer asked for £50 up front just to take him.

I've just gone through our Uber history and the last time we used them for the Crown > Muswell > Whetstone gig was after Burton at home and they charged us £16.05. So even if black cabs did charge us £35 for that trip, which they don't, they're still twice as expensive.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 14:27 - Mar 2 with 3031 viewshoopdog

Black Cabs versus Uber on 13:53 - Mar 2 by Northernr

Yeh it was. Full disclosure, it's Whetstone with a drop off in Muswell Hill and it's usually after midnight.

Also hailed a black cab on Shepherd's Bush Green a couple of seasons back to take an inebriated friend from QPR back to Hendon Central and the geezer asked for £50 up front just to take him.

I've just gone through our Uber history and the last time we used them for the Crown > Muswell > Whetstone gig was after Burton at home and they charged us £16.05. So even if black cabs did charge us £35 for that trip, which they don't, they're still twice as expensive.

WHICH THEY DONT I've just told you I did !!!
Black Cabs versus Uber on 14:34 - Mar 2 with 3014 viewslondonscottish

Black Cabs versus Uber on 13:53 - Mar 2 by Northernr

Uber is losing more money that any tech company ever as it's subsidising prices in order to get market share. It's a long game. For now, for consumers, it's cheap as chips.

http://gizmodo.com/why-uber-is-losing-money-faster-than-any-tech-company-e-17857

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Black Cabs versus Uber on 14:38 - Mar 2 with 3002 viewsNorthernr

Black Cabs versus Uber on 14:27 - Mar 2 by hoopdog

WHICH THEY DONT I've just told you I did !!!

And I've just told you it's not the same trip. And it's still twice as expensive.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Black Cabs versus Uber on 14:38 - Mar 2 with 2996 viewshoopdog

Black Cabs versus Uber on 14:34 - Mar 2 by londonscottish

Uber is losing more money that any tech company ever as it's subsidising prices in order to get market share. It's a long game. For now, for consumers, it's cheap as chips.

http://gizmodo.com/why-uber-is-losing-money-faster-than-any-tech-company-e-17857

What happens to their cheap fares when they control the market ?
bring back the black cabs
[Post edited 2 Mar 2017 18:47]
Black Cabs versus Uber on 16:16 - Mar 2 with 2918 viewsNov77

taxi fares are on the meter. the most the meter goes is about £3.90 per mile and that is only after 10pm at night, during the day its cheaper.

I know you can get a black cab from central london to heathrow for £60 or less, can't be arsed to work out the distance from bush to muswell hill, whetstone, but I'm sure it's less. for it to have gone £60 the distance would have to have been 16 miles or more.

If you really did pay your uber driver £16 for that journey, think about this. He has to give between 25% and 30% of that fare to uber in commission (depending on when he joined) so that leaves him a maximum of £12 out of which he is expected to cover his costs of fuel, insurance (if he had any, many do not), the cost of renting his car etc. and then pay tax on any profit left over!!!!!

You are effectively employing someone on slave wages, certainly below the minimum wage. that driver is more than likely claiming tax credits to top up his income ,so you are also subsidizing him further out of your own taxes.

sound like a good business model?

Uber prices are temporary, only way uber investors get their money back is through an IPO, and no one is going to buy their shares if they can't demonstrate that they can make a profit. Uber lost over $3BILLION last year.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Black Cabs versus Uber on 16:25 - Mar 2 with 2901 viewsNorthernr

Black Cabs versus Uber on 16:16 - Mar 2 by Nov77

taxi fares are on the meter. the most the meter goes is about £3.90 per mile and that is only after 10pm at night, during the day its cheaper.

I know you can get a black cab from central london to heathrow for £60 or less, can't be arsed to work out the distance from bush to muswell hill, whetstone, but I'm sure it's less. for it to have gone £60 the distance would have to have been 16 miles or more.

If you really did pay your uber driver £16 for that journey, think about this. He has to give between 25% and 30% of that fare to uber in commission (depending on when he joined) so that leaves him a maximum of £12 out of which he is expected to cover his costs of fuel, insurance (if he had any, many do not), the cost of renting his car etc. and then pay tax on any profit left over!!!!!

You are effectively employing someone on slave wages, certainly below the minimum wage. that driver is more than likely claiming tax credits to top up his income ,so you are also subsidizing him further out of your own taxes.

sound like a good business model?

Uber prices are temporary, only way uber investors get their money back is through an IPO, and no one is going to buy their shares if they can't demonstrate that they can make a profit. Uber lost over $3BILLION last year.

Again, I agree with everything you say, but I can't take it to my mortgage broker, my electricity company, my gas supplier, my water supplier and say "look at me being really conscientious, can you knock a bit off my bill please?"

The vast majority of people, me included, are somewhere between absolutely skint and just about muddling through. We're all working really fcking hard to be that as well. So if somebody will offer to drive you home for half the price of somebody else you take it. And when that means one company corners the market and jacks the price up in five years time we'll be screwed - but my mortgage, my leccy, my gas needs paying now mate.

It's the same with so many things. I can get two chicken breasts from a bird I know was kept in ethical conditions for £8, or I can have four breasts from a bird kept in a wire cage for £4. I know what I'd rather do, I know what the moral thing to do is, but I also know what my bank account looks like so you take the four breasts and eat for two nights and one lunch for £4 as opposed to taking two and eating for one night for £8. Do I think H&M can produce me a jumper for £16 without somebody working in some hideous conditions somewhere? No, but can I afford to pay £50 for one made ethically? No, and I still need to go outside.

As said earlier in the thread, it's TFL that are the problem here, flogging those disks to anybody that wants one, saturating the market, allowing Uber to kill off a trade. Blame them, not the people who end every month deep into their overdraft who want to go home for £16 and not £35.

Black Cabs versus Uber on 17:31 - Mar 2 with 2833 viewsJuzzie

And on the subject TfL dishing out thousands of yellow discs, it's that that is also contributing to traffic congestion and pollution levels that London breaks every year after just a week, ONE fking week. Apparently we're on our last warning. Yeah, 'London' is scared innit.

From Tfl's website;

Licences
Private hire driver licences - 117,808
Private hire vehicle licences - 86,868
Private hire operator licences - 2,433
Taxi driver licences - 24,564
Taxi vehicle licences - 21,148

If i read it right, PHV driver licences outnumber Taxi driver licenses almost 5 to 1.

In 2009/10 there were 24,914 Taxi vehicles in London and in 2015/16 there were 24,870 and the numbers in between were virtually the same. Effectivly no change in 6 years.

In 2009/2010 there were 49,355 PHV's, in 2015/16 there were 78,139. An increase of just under 29,000 over the same 6 years.

No wonder the roads and our lungs are fked.

Note to the government; rather than blaming it on diesels how about stop TfL from issuing on average 5,000 Private Hire Vehicle licences a year.

[Post edited 2 Mar 2017 17:33]
Black Cabs versus Uber on 17:57 - Mar 2 with 2795 viewsNov77

Black Cabs versus Uber on 17:31 - Mar 2 by Juzzie

And on the subject TfL dishing out thousands of yellow discs, it's that that is also contributing to traffic congestion and pollution levels that London breaks every year after just a week, ONE fking week. Apparently we're on our last warning. Yeah, 'London' is scared innit.

From Tfl's website;

Licences
Private hire driver licences - 117,808
Private hire vehicle licences - 86,868
Private hire operator licences - 2,433
Taxi driver licences - 24,564
Taxi vehicle licences - 21,148

If i read it right, PHV driver licences outnumber Taxi driver licenses almost 5 to 1.

In 2009/10 there were 24,914 Taxi vehicles in London and in 2015/16 there were 24,870 and the numbers in between were virtually the same. Effectivly no change in 6 years.

In 2009/2010 there were 49,355 PHV's, in 2015/16 there were 78,139. An increase of just under 29,000 over the same 6 years.

No wonder the roads and our lungs are fked.

Note to the government; rather than blaming it on diesels how about stop TfL from issuing on average 5,000 Private Hire Vehicle licences a year.

[Post edited 2 Mar 2017 17:33]

In last ten years number of private hire licenses has risen by 79,588.

Number of Taxi licenses has increased by 17.

The vast majority of the rise has come in the last two years (since uber arrived) when TFL were handing out approx 600 licenses per WEEK. They can't fast track anyone through the knowledge, so they created massive demand in private hire by allowing drivers to use their phones to illegally ply for hire. Effectively allowing mini cab drivers to bypass the knowledge.

Why?

TFL are supposed to be regulator, yet they are incentivised to hand out as many licenses as possible as they get £300 for each license. Each license has to be renewed every three years.

TFL employ more than 400 people on salaries of over £100,000 each. That's £40m a year they need just to pay the salaries of those 400 staff.

Uber make TFL a fortune, by my estimates £21m a year on new licenses and renewals.
[Post edited 2 Mar 2017 18:09]

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Black Cabs versus Uber on 19:14 - Mar 2 with 2750 viewskensalriser

Not necessarily all TfL's fault. Drivers can operate via Uber with a licence from anywhere:

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/transport/road-transport/interview/politics

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Black Cabs versus Uber on 00:00 - Mar 3 with 2666 viewsTacticalR

The plot thickens...

Engineer says Uber hired firm to investigate her after she reported sexual harassment
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/mar/02/uber-sexual-harrassment-repor

Air hostess clique

Black Cabs versus Uber on 00:32 - Mar 3 with 2635 viewsFDC

Black Cabs versus Uber on 11:00 - Mar 2 by TacticalR

Fair enough. Most people would rather pay less than more.

It's unlikely any campaign against Uber would have any more effect than the old 'Buy British' campaigns of the 1960s and 1970s.

I had to take a minicab over to Walthamstow on Christmas Day as there was no public transport, and was chatting to the driver, a young Bangladeshi guy. The paradox was that he was singing the praises of Uber, and said he always uses it, but presumably wasn't making enough money actually working for it. There are quite a few videos on Youtube from drivers who have trouble making money from Uber, especially when all their costs are factored in. The recent row between the Uber CEO and the Uber driver captured on video was also about the driver losing money. (I haven't studied the gig economy, so this is all anecdotal).

The reason I posted Susan Fowler's story, was that it showed how inefficient and disorganised Uber was internally. Perhaps they have got so much money rolling in that that doesn't matter.

This is a great talk on the gig economy and platform companies like Uber, Deliveroo, Facebook etc. and what their business model actually is

Black Cabs versus Uber on 12:18 - Mar 3 with 2490 viewshoopdog

Uber lose English language case amid claims will 30k will lose jobs
Black Cabs versus Uber on 13:47 - Mar 3 with 2405 viewsJuzzie

Black Cabs versus Uber on 16:25 - Mar 2 by Northernr

Again, I agree with everything you say, but I can't take it to my mortgage broker, my electricity company, my gas supplier, my water supplier and say "look at me being really conscientious, can you knock a bit off my bill please?"

The vast majority of people, me included, are somewhere between absolutely skint and just about muddling through. We're all working really fcking hard to be that as well. So if somebody will offer to drive you home for half the price of somebody else you take it. And when that means one company corners the market and jacks the price up in five years time we'll be screwed - but my mortgage, my leccy, my gas needs paying now mate.

It's the same with so many things. I can get two chicken breasts from a bird I know was kept in ethical conditions for £8, or I can have four breasts from a bird kept in a wire cage for £4. I know what I'd rather do, I know what the moral thing to do is, but I also know what my bank account looks like so you take the four breasts and eat for two nights and one lunch for £4 as opposed to taking two and eating for one night for £8. Do I think H&M can produce me a jumper for £16 without somebody working in some hideous conditions somewhere? No, but can I afford to pay £50 for one made ethically? No, and I still need to go outside.

As said earlier in the thread, it's TFL that are the problem here, flogging those disks to anybody that wants one, saturating the market, allowing Uber to kill off a trade. Blame them, not the people who end every month deep into their overdraft who want to go home for £16 and not £35.

Completely understand the economies of the situation in that one will always go for the cheaper option (I was quoted £80+ by a black cabbie to go 6 miles from Heathrow, so I took the tube then a local minicab-total cost £11 - If the cabbie had said £20 I would have done it) but lets say worst case scenario that people have suggested and all the black cabs disappear the uber start putting up their prices and eventually become more than a black cab.

How will you, and other uber uses, feel then? Not only contributing to the outcome but now having to pay more than before.

Just curious as the business model seems very much taking advantage of this situation to kill off black cabs as it's difficult to avoid not going for the cheaper option.

[Post edited 3 Mar 2017 13:56]
Black Cabs versus Uber on 14:45 - Mar 3 with 2363 viewsbaz_qpr

Black Cabs versus Uber on 18:45 - Mar 1 by Northernr

agree with all of this but the fact remains - we can pay £60 to get home from the crown (which is extortionate whichever way you slice it) or £20. What we going to do? The answer now of course is get the night tube, which we do, but before that started...

When I get my leccy bill, or my gas bill, or the council tax, or the water, or the home insurance or the payments on the sofa so I have somewhere to sit each month and I look in the bare cupboard that is my bank account there's nobody at SWALEC or Affinity of Barnet Council or House of Fraser or HSBC saying "we know you're a bit short, but we can see that you took the moral high ground and paid £60 for a ride home the other night instead of £20 so we're going to knock £40 off for you."

It's a tough, shitty, expensive city to live in this so if somebody offers to save you £40 that you can then shovel into a different corner of the black hole you take it.

But that is the point of having regulations. Give me 3 child slaves and a carriage and I'll get you there for £15. The reality of allowing the market a free for all especially in a global way is that Uber drivers are considered freelance, so its up to the driver to declare and pay taxes. etc.

Whether its a google / amazon or Uber the ability to give you that lower price comes from the ability to either dodge tax, pay workers the minimum (therefore subsidised by the state) or subsidised by big business in order to gain market share.

We then wonder why with more people in work, why people are dying on trollies in hospitals , schools and police are having there funding cut etc.

We of course can't help ourselves because we are all price sensitive and will choose the cheapest price with the most benefit for ourselves. But ultimately the unregulated market creates a race to the bottom and eventually we all end up poorer.

Sadly with a Tory government and having left the EU and desperate to do trade deals this will only get worse.
Black Cabs versus Uber on 14:51 - Mar 3 with 2338 viewshoopdog

Black Cabs versus Uber on 13:47 - Mar 3 by Juzzie

Completely understand the economies of the situation in that one will always go for the cheaper option (I was quoted £80+ by a black cabbie to go 6 miles from Heathrow, so I took the tube then a local minicab-total cost £11 - If the cabbie had said £20 I would have done it) but lets say worst case scenario that people have suggested and all the black cabs disappear the uber start putting up their prices and eventually become more than a black cab.

How will you, and other uber uses, feel then? Not only contributing to the outcome but now having to pay more than before.

Just curious as the business model seems very much taking advantage of this situation to kill off black cabs as it's difficult to avoid not going for the cheaper option.

[Post edited 3 Mar 2017 13:56]

Both you and Mick S must have gone to the Taxi rank understandably , where the Taxis have been through the feeder park system where they will wait a minimum of 4 hours ,so your quote with waiting time and travelling time to your destination would earn the driver probably less than £15 hour , Mick S his quote to Hillingdon of £20 would have stood the driver less than £5 a hour .
Now if anybody uses the gett , Black taxi app they can ask for a fixed price which will be offered to taxis that are dropping off and have not been through the feeder park so can accept cheaper fares ,
Anybody that uses taxis and mini cabs uber should down load the gett and Hailo apps as a stand by , you can ask for a fixed price on any gett fare both Hailo and gett do from park lane Edgewater Rd in the West to Heathrow terminals 2,3,4 for £40 and terminal 5 £45
And certainly be sure their wives Doughters and Sisters have these apps on their phones
[Post edited 3 Mar 2017 14:59]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024