Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
General Election? 10:30 - Apr 18 with 36936 viewsElHoop

What's May up to? - Downing St 11.15am.
General Election? on 23:22 - Apr 20 with 2713 viewsFDC

General Election? on 23:17 - Apr 20 by CliveWilsonSaid

Admittedly I haven't watched it from the start but BBC Newsnight is basically like a party political broadcast tonight. I actually had to check it was Newsnight.

This is one reason she doesn't need to risk doing tv debates. The BBC are quite happy to perform fluffing duties anyway.
General Election? on 23:44 - Apr 20 with 2687 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

General Election? on 23:22 - Apr 20 by FDC

This is one reason she doesn't need to risk doing tv debates. The BBC are quite happy to perform fluffing duties anyway.

They were grilling some camp guy with a big red tie on when I switched on. He kind of held his own but that was about all. After that, there was a long gushing (pre recorded) piece about May and how great her husband is. After that there was a piece about yougov polls (again pre recorded) and how they'll probably never be wrong again...

After that there was something else.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2017 23:47]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

General Election? on 01:44 - Apr 21 with 2641 viewsBoston

General Election? on 19:25 - Apr 20 by qprphil

No Kings Drive, up by Wembley Town Hall.

Aha, worth a try, there was a QPR Phil, he'd be about 63 / 64 if he's still around, lived with his Dad in a flat on aforementioned Llanover Rd Wembley back in the 60 / 70's.
East Lane chap myself, had to think a bit about your original post after reading Kings Drive, then I recalled a cluster of small blocks surrounded by 'millionaires row' and Barn Hill up behind the town hall. Often drove up to the cut through street(?), to get out onto the Paddocks. Rambled my way around your way many a time as a nipper...on adventures.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

General Election? on 06:12 - Apr 21 with 2591 viewsdistortR

General Election? on 23:44 - Apr 20 by CliveWilsonSaid

They were grilling some camp guy with a big red tie on when I switched on. He kind of held his own but that was about all. After that, there was a long gushing (pre recorded) piece about May and how great her husband is. After that there was a piece about yougov polls (again pre recorded) and how they'll probably never be wrong again...

Camp guy in a red tie holding his own while getting a grilling...............enduring image!!
General Election? on 08:23 - Apr 21 with 2508 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

General Election? on 06:12 - Apr 21 by distortR

Camp guy in a red tie holding his own while getting a grilling...............enduring image!!

Not to mention Theresa May's husband (who's great!) and his long gushing piece!?

General Election? on 08:26 - Apr 21 with 2505 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Funnily enough. Those two images do kind of sum up the whole show.

General Election? on 12:30 - Apr 21 with 2404 viewsToast_R

I'm not sure where to cast my vote as neither mainstream parties offer anything worth voting for.
Corbyn is unrelatable and after the catastrophic f@ckups of the Blair/Brown era, I just feel let down.
May continues the Tories demolition of the NHS
Lib Dems are tarnished with the unshakeable legacy of Nick Clegg being a lying c*nt.

I live in a major Tory strong hold anyway to it makes not a blind bit of difference so I may just not vote and instead just sit back and watch the whole circus for the sh*t show it really is. If I can be arsed I'd vote Green.
General Election? on 14:09 - Apr 21 with 2323 viewsNorthernr

General Election? on 23:44 - Apr 20 by CliveWilsonSaid

I don't buy all this BBC bias nonsense - all the parties reckon the BBC is biased against them. However I did watch Newsnight last night and I did think that puff piece on May's husband coming after the grilling of the Labour guy (which is what they're meant to do to be fair) was a bit off. No mention of the alleged interest in G4S and the mess they're making of our prisons. Will one of Jeremy Corbyn's relatives get a nice fluffy profile piece next week?
Login to get fewer ads

General Election? on 14:39 - Apr 21 with 2285 viewsElHoop

General Election? on 14:09 - Apr 21 by Northernr

I don't buy all this BBC bias nonsense - all the parties reckon the BBC is biased against them. However I did watch Newsnight last night and I did think that puff piece on May's husband coming after the grilling of the Labour guy (which is what they're meant to do to be fair) was a bit off. No mention of the alleged interest in G4S and the mess they're making of our prisons. Will one of Jeremy Corbyn's relatives get a nice fluffy profile piece next week?

Yeah probably the son who went to grammar school lol.
General Election? on 14:39 - Apr 21 with 2285 viewsswisscottage

Whilst policies related to the NHS, education and Brexit should be at the cornerstone of this election, at the end of the day why I will be voting Tory has nothing to do with Theresa May or conservative policies.

1, The real deal breaker. Nuclear Defense. Whilst I abhor the idea of WMDs, and align with the ideal of Nuclear disarmament. I cannot align with unilateral disarmament, or voting for a leader who refuses to use them as a deterrent in a world with nuclear weapons.

2. I like a number of Corbin's ideals, I just find him completely oblivious to reality, and I could not bring myself to trust him in running this country as I truly see him running it into economic oblivion.

At the end of the day, its not whether I like what Theresa May is selling, its primarily that I feel Corbyn and his Momentum cronies should never be anywhere near power.
General Election? on 14:40 - Apr 21 with 2282 views2Thomas2Bowles

General Election? on 18:37 - Apr 20 by essextaxiboy

Ok here goes

The Spectator says Teresa May is the most Left wing Tory leader for years and that is about where my politics are .

So I would like her to achieve a huge majority in this election .

By doing that she will render the Lib Dems toothless and make the hard left in the Labour Party realise that under Corbyn they are just chatting to themselves . Hopefully they will oust him regroup and realise that unless you are near the centre they may have interesting policies but they will never implement them . I have voted for them before when they have come closer to me .

Just as importantly maybe more so she can negotiate with the EU without the hard Brexiteers in her own party having the power to undermine her .

That would leave her free to soften her approach if she saw fit and pee on Farrens camp fire in the process.

I hope the Tories win a couple of seats in Scotland and Labour win a few more than they have now . That may make Sturgeon realise that there is not the appetite for another vote that she imagines

We are members of NATO the G7 and have to negotiate Brexit , we have to deal with Trump, Putin and the EU , can anyone really see Farren or Corbyn doing that . They are peaceniks who would scale down our defences and put us at risk

There will be policies that I like from all parties probably , but we need a real politician , a pro who has sat down with these people before , who commands the respect of all of her MPs and respects the will of the people with a nod and a concession or two to those who voted the other way . I think May is the only cab on the rank

hope the test went ok ..

ETB

Sorry mate if you are waiting for my reply life is getting it the way of things.

However I'm somewhat shocked at you saying May is left wing Con, is there such a thing or is it somewhere middle right wing.

She and the tory mp's are the most morally corrupt I've ever know and that's including Thatcher.

Will come back when I can with a wider reply.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

General Election? on 14:43 - Apr 21 with 2280 viewsFDC

The BBC isn't necessarily biased towards a particular party, but it certainly is biased against Corbyn - that's been well established by various independent studies that identify repeated, objectively misreporting. And the pro-Tory bias has been pretty stark over the past few days:

the BBC's Daniel Sandford has described the 30-odd Tories facing criminal charges as "a lingering embarrassment";

Newsnight's Emily Maitlis has suggested rebel Labour MPs should try another coup (after the wild success of the previous one);

Nick Robinson has used Twitter to mock Corbyn for framing his election campaign in anti-establishment terms, saying being short on detail "is the story of his life";

Laura Kuenssberg is particularly bad, insisting that Islington is home of the political elites, somehow overlooking the unusually high child poverty there. Here she is shedding a tear over the resignation of Michael Dugher, staunch Corbyn critic and widely accepted to be the 'unnamed Labour source' of many anti-Corbyn leaks.

Imagine the field day they'd be having if both the director of communications and a press security had quit Labour? And if Corbyn had refused to do TV debates and banned the public from his events?

None of which is to say you have to be a Corbyn supporter, but the bias is real and blatant.
General Election? on 15:02 - Apr 21 with 2260 views2Thomas2Bowles

General Election? on 14:43 - Apr 21 by FDC

The BBC isn't necessarily biased towards a particular party, but it certainly is biased against Corbyn - that's been well established by various independent studies that identify repeated, objectively misreporting. And the pro-Tory bias has been pretty stark over the past few days:

the BBC's Daniel Sandford has described the 30-odd Tories facing criminal charges as "a lingering embarrassment";

Newsnight's Emily Maitlis has suggested rebel Labour MPs should try another coup (after the wild success of the previous one);

Nick Robinson has used Twitter to mock Corbyn for framing his election campaign in anti-establishment terms, saying being short on detail "is the story of his life";

Laura Kuenssberg is particularly bad, insisting that Islington is home of the political elites, somehow overlooking the unusually high child poverty there. Here she is shedding a tear over the resignation of Michael Dugher, staunch Corbyn critic and widely accepted to be the 'unnamed Labour source' of many anti-Corbyn leaks.

Imagine the field day they'd be having if both the director of communications and a press security had quit Labour? And if Corbyn had refused to do TV debates and banned the public from his events?

None of which is to say you have to be a Corbyn supporter, but the bias is real and blatant.

Nail on

General Election? on 15:43 - Apr 21 with 2217 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

No it wasn't a criticism of the BBC in general or the grilling of the Labour guy. It was the way this particular episode was presented in general. It was quite blatently a bit off as you say.

General Election? on 16:01 - Apr 21 with 2200 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

It seems others noticed it too..

General Election? on 17:33 - Apr 21 with 2131 viewsizlingtonhoop

Maybe Robinson feels he has a bigger axe to grind than most as he is a long time Highbury resident; thus a constituent of JC's.

Can't swear that he still lives here - I'm sitting in N5 as I write - now.

This is an interesting election. If it is about a mandate for Brexit then a Lib Dem vote could be worthwhile, in places where they have a chance, for remoaners (and I use that term as I have no shame in admitting to being one). Myself, as a constituent of Ms Thornbury's, it won't make any difference, so I shan't have to struggle with that decision - as the unrepentant pinko Corbynite I am.

As far as remoaning goes how dare the brexiteers claim it's time for us to button it and accept the will of the people, as indicated by the referendum they won?

1. The referendum was a divisive almost-draw (as I have commented on here before): indicating not that the people have spoken, but that the people are in two minds.

2. To state loftily that we should stop whining and accept the result and not be bad losers etc. etc. is extremely rich (as someone on here has previously pointed out on a Brexit thread), coming from a constituency that lost a referendum (by a much clearer margin - 67%-33%) then whined for forty years until they got another referendum.

And then, in an anodyne speech from Bolton on Monday Mrs May kept telling us that she had 'united' the country with 'strong' leadership (my inverts). This, in a manner that suggested that if she said them often enough these things (among others) would become true - if only in the minds of those listening. Perhaps she has some Paul McKenna CDs at home, and that's the basis of the coming campaign.

We are truly fu cked...

General Election? on 18:15 - Apr 21 with 2087 viewsTacticalR

Mehdi Hasan's 'Bias and the BBC' (2009):

As well as pointing out that 'Nick Robinson was chair of the Young Conservatives, in the mid-1980s, at the height of Thatcherism', Hasan has the following to say about Andrew Neil:

'In November 2005, a well-known BBC presenter delivered the 14th annual Hayek lecture at the Institute of Economic Affairs, in which he called for "a reorientation of British foreign policy away from Europe . . . a radical programme to liberalise the British economy; a radical reduction in tax and public spending as a share of the economy; a flat tax . . . the injection of choice and competition into the public sector on a scale not yet contemplated . . . excellence in schools with vouchers for all".

These are views, drawing on the libertarian philosophy of the long-dead Austrian free-marketeer Friedrich Hayek, that are to the right even of the modern Conservative Party. The BBC presenter was Andrew Neil, whose shadow looms large over the corporation's coverage of Westminster. Neil is on air roughly four hours a week, presenting Daily Politics, Straight Talk and This Week - where one of his co-hosts is the former Tory defence secretary Michael Portillo.'

'Bias and the BBC'
http://www.newstatesman.com/uk-politics/2009/08/mehdi-hasan-bbc-wing-bias-corpor

Air hostess clique

General Election? on 18:21 - Apr 21 with 2076 viewshubble

General Election? on 16:01 - Apr 21 by CliveWilsonSaid

It seems others noticed it too..

Genuinely makes me want to vomit.

F*cking stitch up.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

General Election? on 18:27 - Apr 21 with 2067 viewsstevec

Looking at this message board Labour are going to win by a landslide.
General Election? on 18:44 - Apr 21 with 2052 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

General Election? on 18:27 - Apr 21 by stevec

For the record I'm not particularly party political but I will be voting for one of them in this election. Although in truth there was really no need for me to post about this on this forum. I'd imagine most football clubs supporters were majority labour supporters historically.

General Election? on 19:03 - Apr 21 with 2018 views2Thomas2Bowles

General Election? on 18:27 - Apr 21 by stevec

I wish

General Election? on 19:07 - Apr 21 with 2013 viewsizlingtonhoop

General Election? on 19:03 - Apr 21 by 2Thomas2Bowles

I wish

innit!
General Election? on 19:11 - Apr 21 with 2008 viewsQPR_John

General Election? on 17:33 - Apr 21 by izlingtonhoop

Maybe Robinson feels he has a bigger axe to grind than most as he is a long time Highbury resident; thus a constituent of JC's.

Can't swear that he still lives here - I'm sitting in N5 as I write - now.

This is an interesting election. If it is about a mandate for Brexit then a Lib Dem vote could be worthwhile, in places where they have a chance, for remoaners (and I use that term as I have no shame in admitting to being one). Myself, as a constituent of Ms Thornbury's, it won't make any difference, so I shan't have to struggle with that decision - as the unrepentant pinko Corbynite I am.

As far as remoaning goes how dare the brexiteers claim it's time for us to button it and accept the will of the people, as indicated by the referendum they won?

1. The referendum was a divisive almost-draw (as I have commented on here before): indicating not that the people have spoken, but that the people are in two minds.

2. To state loftily that we should stop whining and accept the result and not be bad losers etc. etc. is extremely rich (as someone on here has previously pointed out on a Brexit thread), coming from a constituency that lost a referendum (by a much clearer margin - 67%-33%) then whined for forty years until they got another referendum.

And then, in an anodyne speech from Bolton on Monday Mrs May kept telling us that she had 'united' the country with 'strong' leadership (my inverts). This, in a manner that suggested that if she said them often enough these things (among others) would become true - if only in the minds of those listening. Perhaps she has some Paul McKenna CDs at home, and that's the basis of the coming campaign.

We are truly fu cked...

"2. To state loftily that we should stop whining and accept the result and not be bad losers etc. etc. is extremely rich (as someone on here has previously pointed out on a Brexit thread), coming from a constituency that lost a referendum (by a much clearer margin - 67%-33%) then whined for forty years until they got another referendum. "

Hardly comparing like for like. I think everybody would agree that the club we agreed to join then was palpably different from the one we were asked whether we wanted to stay in or leave.
General Election? on 19:27 - Apr 21 with 1993 viewsizlingtonhoop

General Election? on 19:11 - Apr 21 by QPR_John

"2. To state loftily that we should stop whining and accept the result and not be bad losers etc. etc. is extremely rich (as someone on here has previously pointed out on a Brexit thread), coming from a constituency that lost a referendum (by a much clearer margin - 67%-33%) then whined for forty years until they got another referendum. "

Hardly comparing like for like. I think everybody would agree that the club we agreed to join then was palpably different from the one we were asked whether we wanted to stay in or leave.

Ok. Let's compare like for like. Upon conceding the referendum, Nigel Farage declared (I paraphrase) "we've lost, but the fight will go on."

Since it has turned out that they won , I have heard the man himself, on his LBC show state: "Leave won. So shut up and let's get on with it together..."

This does not match.
General Election? on 19:29 - Apr 21 with 1993 viewsted_hendrix

General Election? on 12:30 - Apr 21 by Toast_R

I'm not sure where to cast my vote as neither mainstream parties offer anything worth voting for.
Corbyn is unrelatable and after the catastrophic f@ckups of the Blair/Brown era, I just feel let down.
May continues the Tories demolition of the NHS
Lib Dems are tarnished with the unshakeable legacy of Nick Clegg being a lying c*nt.

I live in a major Tory strong hold anyway to it makes not a blind bit of difference so I may just not vote and instead just sit back and watch the whole circus for the sh*t show it really is. If I can be arsed I'd vote Green.

I too live in a Tory stronghold in West Berkshire and have done now for nigh on 40 Years, on the evening of the general election the Missus and me will do what we always do and walk through the village up to the village hall and cast our votes.
As a lifelong Labour supporter I couldn't not vote, in my own stupid way it means a huge amount to me to have the benefit and freedom to put a X with a pencil on a piece of paper, Its just a small thing really and definitely my own personal X will have no bearing on the outcome in our constituency when the votes are counted.
This Country's great for all it's faults a small part of it's greatness is having the right to vote.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024