Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ivor Powell 08:57 - Nov 6 with 1196 viewshoopstilidie

RIP

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

Ivor Powell on 09:04 - Nov 6 with 1179 viewsCanadaRanger

Confirmed. A sad day, but a long life full of things worth celebrating. RIP.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivor_Powell

Ivor Verdun Powell MBE (born 5 July 1916) is a Welsh former footballer who gained eight Welsh caps and later became a manager.

A wing half, he began his professional career with Queens Park Rangers in September 1937. His career was interrupted by World War II, though he returned to QPR to help them to the Third Division South title in 1947—48. He moved to Aston Villa for £17,500 in December 1948, and played 79 games in the First Division. He was appointed player-manager at Port Vale in July 1951, though was sacked after just four months. He was appointed Bradford City manager in 1952, but was again unsuccessful, and departed in February 1955. He did find success at Carlisle United following his appointment in 1960, leading the club to promotion out of the Fourth Division in 1961—62. He left the club in 1963, and later managed Bath City, before becoming a coach.

He was inducted to the Welsh Sports Hall of Fame in 2004 alongside snooker player Terry Griffiths and cricketer Tony Lewis. He also entered the Guinness Book of World Records as the oldest working football coach on his 90th birthday after 55 years as a coach. He retired on 26 May 2010, aged 93.

Honours with Queens Park Rangers

Football League Third Division South runner-up: 1946—47
Football League Third Division South champion: 1947—48

Photos and more commentary on his many achievements at http://qprreport.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=general&thread=485
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Ivor Powell on 09:14 - Nov 6 with 1155 viewshoof_hearted

I sat next to him at a Swansea Rugby Club dinner in about 1990. I had no idea who he was because he wasn't old enough then to attract attention. He found out I was a QPR fan and then we chatted for hours about QPR. He loved that someone was so interested in his football career and he told it all so well that I could have listened for hours more. The egg chasers were busy groping other men and dropping their trousers as usual. He was a true gentleman and filled one of the best couple of hours of my life.
Ivor Powell on 09:16 - Nov 6 with 1150 views18StoneOfHoop

RIP.A remarkable gentleman.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-13345100

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Ivor Powell on 09:33 - Nov 6 with 1120 viewsisawqpratwcity

Great post. RIP

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Ivor Powell on 09:39 - Nov 6 with 1103 viewszicoshoops

Vic went to interview him at Bath City when he was 92.
He said he was expecting to see this little old man, and asked someone if they knew where Ivor was.
The fella pointed and said yes, he's over there.
So Vic stood there and watched Ivor running up and down a flight of stairs.
He explained, 'I like to keep fit.'

RIP.
Ivor Powell on 09:41 - Nov 6 with 1101 viewsnadera78

An astonishing life and someone to be admired and respected. I was going to suggest the club hold a minute's applause for him but I think it would actually be distasteful to see our current prima donnas and wannabes having anything to do with this man.

RIP
Ivor Powell on 09:42 - Nov 6 with 1096 viewsrongould

Ivor Powell on 09:16 - Nov 6 by 18StoneOfHoop

RIP.A remarkable gentleman.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-13345100

Very sad news.

The very first game that I ever saw on the 6th of September 1947, Rangers v. Northampton Town 3rd Division South. We won 2-0 and Ivor Powell was presented with a Wales intenational cap, right in front of us in the only grandstand we had on the Ellerslie Road side.

Great player and always a hero of mine
Ivor Powell on 09:52 - Nov 6 with 1085 viewsisawqpratwcity

Ivor Powell on 09:42 - Nov 6 by rongould

Very sad news.

The very first game that I ever saw on the 6th of September 1947, Rangers v. Northampton Town 3rd Division South. We won 2-0 and Ivor Powell was presented with a Wales intenational cap, right in front of us in the only grandstand we had on the Ellerslie Road side.

Ron (excuse me for asking), of all of the sad old c*nts on this site, are you the oldest?

(I do count myself in the sad, middle-aged-to-old, old c*unts here.)

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Login to get fewer ads

Ivor Powell on 09:54 - Nov 6 with 1082 viewsderbyhoop

A sad day. Another link with our history has gone.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Ivor Powell on 10:06 - Nov 6 with 1060 viewsexiled_dictator

Sorry to hear of such sad news.
Sounds like a great man & a true gentleman.

What is a wing half?
Where is its modern equivalent?

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Ivor Powell on 10:08 - Nov 6 with 1058 viewsrongould

Ivor Powell on 09:52 - Nov 6 by isawqpratwcity

Ron (excuse me for asking), of all of the sad old c*nts on this site, are you the oldest?

(I do count myself in the sad, middle-aged-to-old, old c*unts here.)

One of the oldest. I think that Pomanjou might beat me by a little.

I was born march 2nd 1939

So saw my first game when I was 8. Taken by an uncle

Next game I went by myself, Rangers beat Notts County 4-1

We were promoted that year. Great and different days.
Ivor Powell on 10:09 - Nov 6 with 1053 viewsklr

RIP

He sounded like a very interesting & inspirational man.
Ivor Powell on 10:14 - Nov 6 with 1048 viewsMetallica_Hoop

RIP

A good innings.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Ivor Powell on 10:43 - Nov 6 with 1008 viewsHollowayRanger

think we would all be happy to go in our 90's if fit and healthy

RIP

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Ivor Powell on 11:16 - Nov 6 with 971 viewsBrightonhoop

Very sad news and a great man from all accounts. RIP.
Ivor Powell on 12:01 - Nov 6 with 942 viewsDaiHo0p

Bye and RIP Ivor.
Ivor Powell on 13:01 - Nov 6 with 897 viewspeejaybee

Ivor Powell on 09:42 - Nov 6 by rongould

Very sad news.

RIP A true " Footballer".
Ron can you remember Ivors brother George,who I think came from Fulham.
I have been watching the Rsss since 1946/47 Season
First game on my own was against Derby County in FA cup 1948.

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Ivor Powell on 13:29 - Nov 6 with 870 viewsBrianMcCarthy

RIP Ivor. Condolonces to all who knew and loved him.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Ivor Powell on 14:08 - Nov 6 with 845 viewsthemodfather

Ivor Powell on 13:29 - Nov 6 by BrianMcCarthy

RIP Ivor. Condolonces to all who knew and loved him.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis.

RIP.
Ivor Powell on 14:23 - Nov 6 with 836 viewsBushmanreport

Ivor Powell on 13:01 - Nov 6 by peejaybee

RIP A true " Footballer".
Ron can you remember Ivors brother George,who I think came from Fulham.
I have been watching the Rsss since 1946/47 Season
First game on my own was against Derby County in FA cup 1948.

They were not related.
Ivor Powell on 15:20 - Nov 6 with 809 viewsfinney

http://www.indyrs.co.uk/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14883&p=79089#p79089
some more on indyrs
hell of a man
RIP
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Ivor Powell on 15:22 - Nov 6 with 806 viewssmegma

My Dads business partner swears hes the best player to have worn the hoops. I had the pleasure of going down to Bath about 12 years ago to see our youth team play Team Bath in a testimonial game. He must've been about 79/80. We arrived at the sports centre ( no stadium) and enquired at the door 'was this the place ?'. He overheard our accents and came over. Having found out we had travelled from London to see a game he made a fuss of us. He told everyone we were journos who had travelled up from the smoke and he got us some free food and drinks and match tickets. I've never seen anyone so 'busy'. He was here there and everywhere in the sports centre.He served beers, he warmed the Team Bath squad up on the pitch, he made sure everyone had food, he introduced us to Bath players and the QPR players in the dressing room.He even got our youth manager making us hot drinks !!! (well done Gary Waddock !). His wife was in attendance as well and was of a similar age. She told us he had 'retired' about 5 times before and didn't believe this was his real retirement.She said he'd be back in the building at 8am the following day. As we all said our goodbyes about 11pm, he said to all and sundry ' goodnight , thank you for a wonderful evening, see you all in the morning ! ' with a huge wink.
Read his biog, he was a great player. WW2 put paid to a huge chunk of his career but I've been told he was similar to Duncan Edwards/Roy Keane.
Ivor Powell on 15:35 - Nov 6 with 794 viewsMonahoop

RIP to a fine QPR player from a sadly forgotten age in football.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024