Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England World Cup thread 13:14 - Feb 14 with 10293 viewsTommoRAFC

Well, I never expected a lot, but that was an awful performance today.

Positives:
Finn's 5 for.
Taylor should have had a century, robbed by shit umpiring, not that it effected the result.
Bell and Woakes did ok.
Warner didn't get to hurt us much.

Negatives:
Awful bowling on the whole, Finn's stats are flattered by his hattrick when the damage was done, not one of the bowlers had a decent average today.
Easy catches put down.
Top order was dire, started slow, and once Bell fell it crumbled without a trace, to be honest the Convicts could have had us all out for 150 if they wanted to.
Pedestrian Convict balls didn't get the treatment they should have been by us.
Morgan managed to get his 4th duck in 7 innings!

With New Zealand on Friday and probably 2 defeats in 2, we'll have our work cut out getting to the quarters, especially if anyone else manages a shock... So much for the team heading in a different direction after the dropping of Cook, we're a laughing stock again!

Poll: Who will play in place of Done on Saturday?

England World Cup thread on 11:49 - Mar 1 with 2013 viewsDaley_Lama

We have batsmen who cannot clear the boundary regularly on Australian grounds. The likes of Bell, Balance, Morgan etc may be able to clear the rope in England, but these grounds are bigger.

I will repeat ad infinitum that the selection of Alastair Cook as ODI Captain showed exactly where the game stands in the ECB scope of things.

The exclusion of Hales, Lumb, Wright, Carberry, all players who give it a biff...

We have bowlers who cannot bowl Yorkers. Stuart Broad is the most perfect example of this. He does not have the skills for ODI cricket. Even more so for 20/20 cricket.

I will repeat ad infinitum that the selection of Stuart Broad as 20/20 Captain showed exactly where the game stands in the ECB scope of things.

So predictable, so boring, so hope it is over soon. (To Afghanistan)

Poll: DF in or out

England World Cup thread on 13:20 - Mar 1 with 1987 viewsThacks_Rabbits

England World Cup thread on 11:49 - Mar 1 by Daley_Lama

We have batsmen who cannot clear the boundary regularly on Australian grounds. The likes of Bell, Balance, Morgan etc may be able to clear the rope in England, but these grounds are bigger.

I will repeat ad infinitum that the selection of Alastair Cook as ODI Captain showed exactly where the game stands in the ECB scope of things.

The exclusion of Hales, Lumb, Wright, Carberry, all players who give it a biff...

We have bowlers who cannot bowl Yorkers. Stuart Broad is the most perfect example of this. He does not have the skills for ODI cricket. Even more so for 20/20 cricket.

I will repeat ad infinitum that the selection of Stuart Broad as 20/20 Captain showed exactly where the game stands in the ECB scope of things.

So predictable, so boring, so hope it is over soon. (To Afghanistan)

Totally agree with most of the comments.

We are years behind and the players we have don't have any idea what a competetive score is, we don't have any flexibility in the order, the bowlers are all too simular in approach - line, length, metronomic rubbish.

JA is a class bowler on his day but if its not swinging he is limited, Broad has not got a clue in limited overs on a good pitch, We don't have a spinner of the quality of Swann or choose not to use our best Spinner in Tredwell.

Bell is not good enough, Ballance is not good enough, Morgan is good enough 1 in 5 games, Buttler came in too late - it was clear that was a 350 pitch all day and Sri Lanka were clearly way better - 9 wickets is far mopre telling than the 3 overs as they could have won in 40 if they had really pushed.

Still I backed Sri Lanka and will be backing Bangledesh as well - Sadly Pakistan got out of a hole or would have been a very good day for the Thacks Punting Fund :)

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

England World Cup thread on 13:28 - Mar 1 with 1977 viewsD_Alien

England World Cup thread on 13:20 - Mar 1 by Thacks_Rabbits

Totally agree with most of the comments.

We are years behind and the players we have don't have any idea what a competetive score is, we don't have any flexibility in the order, the bowlers are all too simular in approach - line, length, metronomic rubbish.

JA is a class bowler on his day but if its not swinging he is limited, Broad has not got a clue in limited overs on a good pitch, We don't have a spinner of the quality of Swann or choose not to use our best Spinner in Tredwell.

Bell is not good enough, Ballance is not good enough, Morgan is good enough 1 in 5 games, Buttler came in too late - it was clear that was a 350 pitch all day and Sri Lanka were clearly way better - 9 wickets is far mopre telling than the 3 overs as they could have won in 40 if they had really pushed.

Still I backed Sri Lanka and will be backing Bangledesh as well - Sadly Pakistan got out of a hole or would have been a very good day for the Thacks Punting Fund :)

Tricky Punting?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

England World Cup thread on 09:54 - Mar 9 with 1880 viewsdownunder

Well, England were cruising.
2 overs later... they could be flying.

No one dare attack any bowler.
England World Cup thread on 09:55 - Mar 9 with 1880 viewsDaley_Lama

Is it over yet?

Not quite, but give it an hour or so.

England are currently chasing 275 to stay in the tournament against BingleyBangleyDesh.

I will leave the bowling for now and focus purely on the chase.

Bell and Ali open. We're off to a flier, 6 runs an over no less, 42-0 off 7 overs.

Bell has started slowly but batted himself in and is almost at a run a ball when sadly, Ali is run out.

What does Bell do? Go into his shell as Hales bats himself in.

Not to worry, Hales gets into nick and the two of them pick up the rate again. Bell goes from scoring at 3 an over to 5 an over once more and England are 97-1 off 19 overs when sadly, Hales gets out (27 from 28)

What does Bell do again? Why he goes into his shell as Root starts to bat himself in.

He crawls to 50, crawls to 63 from 82 balls then gets out to a good one, admittedly. Then Morgan gets out caught on the boundary for a 2nd ball duck.

Bell twice stopped scoring as a wicket fell at the other end and both times we scored next to nothing for 5 overs.

Bring back Jonathan Trott, at least he got a terminally slow century when doing what Bell has been doing all tournament.

England World Cup thread on 10:07 - Mar 9 with 1868 viewsdeezel

and now Taylor goes...132/5

I'm surprised we didn't push Buttler up to No 5 as most of the pundits have been suggesting

Still in with an outside chance if Buttler can bat through

I think i'd prefer it if we lose and i can get on with following some modern ODI stuff from the other teams
England World Cup thread on 10:14 - Mar 9 with 1855 viewsTommoRAFC

Can we ask Ireland to take Morgan and Rankin back for Joyce and Dockrell?

Poll: Who will play in place of Done on Saturday?

England World Cup thread on 10:20 - Mar 9 with 1839 viewsDaley_Lama

Don't be surprised deez, this is England. One day they might realise that Stuart Broad is only good when bowling in the first 10 overs of an ODI, after that he has no variation and bowls half trackers for batsmen to club for boundaries at will.

Good luck Joe and Josh, only half of the runs to get in a third of the overs after being 97-1(19)

Login to get fewer ads

England World Cup thread on 10:27 - Mar 9 with 1820 viewsTalkingSutty

England World Cup thread on 10:20 - Mar 9 by Daley_Lama

Don't be surprised deez, this is England. One day they might realise that Stuart Broad is only good when bowling in the first 10 overs of an ODI, after that he has no variation and bowls half trackers for batsmen to club for boundaries at will.

Good luck Joe and Josh, only half of the runs to get in a third of the overs after being 97-1(19)

Stunk the World Cup out, terrible to watch. English cricket is on its sick bed and a lot of the so called internationals are bits and pieces cricketers stealing a good living. Time to re- think the central contracts and bring in a forward thinking foreign coach. The rest of the cricketing world are playing a different game to us. Bring them home.
England World Cup thread on 10:42 - Mar 9 with 1791 viewsDaley_Lama

While Jos is in, we still have a slim chance, for he IS good enough.

England World Cup thread on 10:44 - Mar 9 with 1786 viewsmacro

Worse than even I expected. Quarter finals I thought but it's looking unlikely now. Top to bottom changes needed england are still trying to play 50 over cricket from the 80s where as other countries play 20/20 style and get huge scores. Embarrassingly bad at the mo
England World Cup thread on 11:41 - Mar 9 with 1717 viewsDaley_Lama

Thank God that is over with.

England World Cup thread on 11:42 - Mar 9 with 1713 viewsSandyman

Embarrassing indeed. Nobody expected England to go beyond the quarter finals, to not even get there shows how abject our 50 overs cricket is. Heads must roll.
England World Cup thread on 11:45 - Mar 9 with 1702 viewsDaley_Lama

Peter Moore's notebook = Steve McLaren's umbrella.

KP will be publicly upset about England's exit yet internally laughing like a hyena on happy pills.

England World Cup thread on 11:47 - Mar 9 with 1695 viewsdownunder

England World Cup thread on 11:41 - Mar 9 by Daley_Lama

Thank God that is over with.

Can't fly home yet.
England World Cup thread on 11:47 - Mar 9 with 1689 viewsTalkingSutty

England World Cup thread on 11:45 - Mar 9 by Daley_Lama

Peter Moore's notebook = Steve McLaren's umbrella.

KP will be publicly upset about England's exit yet internally laughing like a hyena on happy pills.

It's the expectancy that kills you
England World Cup thread on 12:06 - Mar 9 with 1653 viewsD_Alien

Brazil 2014, England exit in group stage

Down Under 2015, England exit in group stage

England 2015, will our rugby boys perform the hat-trick?

Expecting to beat the world with negative tactics and mediocrity isn't going to happen.

In other words, we're just shit.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

England World Cup thread on 12:09 - Mar 9 with 1643 viewsdeezel

Some great post match comments from Morgan....

"I think it comes down to our performances, our expectations are a lot higher than the way we perform".......fecking oirish genius

"We've picked guys who play a brand of cricket, but we haven't performed"......as said in an earlier post the brand we play is outdated

At least Tredwell will get a run out now
England World Cup thread on 12:12 - Mar 9 with 1642 viewsDaley_Lama

Peter Moore's has just said that the batting line up was fine, they have had to deal with the loss of Jonathan Trott but coped with it etc.

If you are taking it on the chin as you say Peter, don't talk complete codswallop.

England World Cup thread on 12:19 - Mar 9 with 1619 viewsTalkingSutty

England World Cup thread on 12:12 - Mar 9 by Daley_Lama

Peter Moore's has just said that the batting line up was fine, they have had to deal with the loss of Jonathan Trott but coped with it etc.

If you are taking it on the chin as you say Peter, don't talk complete codswallop.

Peter Moores is a nice bloke and the players like him, that's one of the problems straight away.....comfort zone.
England World Cup thread on 12:47 - Mar 9 with 1577 viewsNigeriamark

I think this is as low as English cricket has ever been. I have been to 3 of the last 4 WCs but thank god I could not go to this one. Although we did not get past the group stages in 1999 and 2003, we had some decent performances

Here we have been absolutely crushed by 3 teams and have slipped up badly today when we had a chance to scrape into the QFs, To date we have only beaten Scotland

As previous poster has said, why are so many players upfront going into their shell. 275 was very doable and even if you lose 2-3 wickets but get ahead of the run rate you have a better chance than the decades old build a partnership. Hopefully now we will:-

Drop every player who will be too old in 4 years
Start with a young team especially batters who can target 300+ on a regular basis
Accept that we will have a tough year or 2 while these youngsters bed in . However I would take that than having seasoned players play like they have this WC

I have spent the whole of today in a pub in China watching the whole game and drinking plenty so perhaps I am overly despondent, but it really has been sh@t%
England World Cup thread on 12:53 - Mar 9 with 1571 viewsTalkingSutty

England World Cup thread on 12:47 - Mar 9 by Nigeriamark

I think this is as low as English cricket has ever been. I have been to 3 of the last 4 WCs but thank god I could not go to this one. Although we did not get past the group stages in 1999 and 2003, we had some decent performances

Here we have been absolutely crushed by 3 teams and have slipped up badly today when we had a chance to scrape into the QFs, To date we have only beaten Scotland

As previous poster has said, why are so many players upfront going into their shell. 275 was very doable and even if you lose 2-3 wickets but get ahead of the run rate you have a better chance than the decades old build a partnership. Hopefully now we will:-

Drop every player who will be too old in 4 years
Start with a young team especially batters who can target 300+ on a regular basis
Accept that we will have a tough year or 2 while these youngsters bed in . However I would take that than having seasoned players play like they have this WC

I have spent the whole of today in a pub in China watching the whole game and drinking plenty so perhaps I am overly despondent, but it really has been sh@t%

China Crisis....get another beer down your neck. I wasn't even confident of winning today in any case, even more so when I knew we would be batting second.
England World Cup thread on 01:29 - Mar 10 with 1471 viewsDiddyDave

Typical woeful display that just about sums up sport in the Old Dart at the moment. Can`t play cricket, can`t play football, can`t play rugby union or league, so you`d have to wonder why. There`s certainly no pride, maybe that`s the problem, though when you think about it, if they get the same money for a loss as well as a win, then there`s not really much point in doing their best anyway is there? No wonder we`re a laughing stock all over the world these days.
England World Cup thread on 06:17 - Mar 10 with 1457 viewsColDale

I think one of the things we have struggled with is that the England cricket team has become too scientific. Our push in Test cricket over the past ten years or so has seen bowlers bowling almost prescribed deliveries. Weaknesses in batsmen are analysed and then exploited. It works a dream in test cricket, and even in the disastrous 5-0 against the Aussies, almost every time the top five batsmen were dismissed at a total that was chaseable. The struggle was the inability to get out Brad Haddin, and once plans start going wrong, we couldn't find a solution. That ability to think and to manage situations has gone out of the window for England's cricketers, and never are those skills more needed than in one day cricket where situations can change in the space of a single over.
England World Cup thread on 07:36 - Mar 10 with 1434 viewsTalkingSutty

England World Cup thread on 06:17 - Mar 10 by ColDale

I think one of the things we have struggled with is that the England cricket team has become too scientific. Our push in Test cricket over the past ten years or so has seen bowlers bowling almost prescribed deliveries. Weaknesses in batsmen are analysed and then exploited. It works a dream in test cricket, and even in the disastrous 5-0 against the Aussies, almost every time the top five batsmen were dismissed at a total that was chaseable. The struggle was the inability to get out Brad Haddin, and once plans start going wrong, we couldn't find a solution. That ability to think and to manage situations has gone out of the window for England's cricketers, and never are those skills more needed than in one day cricket where situations can change in the space of a single over.

It's ok having plans in place and all the scientific data at your fingertips but if you have bowlers who seem incapable of bowling one side of the wicket to a set field, or don't have the basic sense to pitch the ball up when short of a length is being dispatched to the boundaries,there's no hope.

The batsmen are mentally fragile and lack any guts. Look at their body language when they walk out to bat, they look frightened to death and the opposition know it. Its not just a fear of failure, a lot of them are average players who stand out competing in what is a very sub standard Domestic set up. The argument that they do well in our domestic limited overs competition doesn't count for anything.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024