Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Let's talk about the Play Offs 07:45 - Mar 8 with 11581 viewsTalkingSutty

It's not going to be easy but looking at the league table we would be daft not to give it a go. I think there are two key steps needed to give ourselves a realistic chance.

The first one is obvious, we have to win at least one of our games in hand. Secondly we need Hilly to pull a Rabbit out of the hat and bring in a forward to help our other rabbit, Joe Bunney. It sounds like he was close to bringing somebody in last week, so he is looking.

I didn't go to Bristol but listening to all reports we outplayed them so that suggests we have the players at the club capable of matching anybody in this league. Mission one is more or less complete so it's time to re-assess.

I understand there are those on the forum who won't comment because the manager doesn't want them to have expectations or upset him but for those of us who feel able, are the Play Offs on and if not why?
Let's talk about the Play Offs on 17:10 - Mar 30 with 1620 viewsDaleiLama

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 16:52 - Mar 30 by aleanddale

I am sure Joe scored last Easter!!

He surely has to play ( and score a hat full ) this weekend!!!!

The headline writers would have a field day!!

A bonnet full..........?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 17:48 - Mar 30 with 1540 viewsTalkingSutty

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 15:43 - Mar 30 by DaleiLama

Here are three snippets from the first page of the infamous 14 page thread recently. I haven't gone back over any others and neither do I intend to and neither do I want to fan the embers of any of any entrenched debates, but I read multiple comments about Hilly choosing weakened sides, his heart not being in it and various other conspiracy-type ramblings. My point is there is no conspiracy and anyone who thinks KH doesn't want to win games is just beyond help. That's all TS. Not picking any fights. Peace.

“I feel that we have surrendered the chance to win more points through lots of strange decisions in the last few months. These include team selections, formations, lack of ambition, not berating performance, berating performance (vincenti yesterday) inconsistency (see previous point) crazy comments in interviews”.

“KH has told us that we wont be in the play offs and he will move heaven and earth to make sure that he is right! He has told us all that he doesn't like his job at the minute, as he is de-energised! He as virtually announced that he wont be doing the job that he is paid good money to do for the rest of the season, to such an extent that he forgot we were losing on Saturday”!

“I cannot find a reason why we would not want to go up, but it seems there must be. The only semi valid reasons I can think of is something weird in the stadium negotiations or we cannot afford due to contracts - sadly neither seem to make any sense”!!!!

Hilly moving heaven and earth to make sure we aren't in the play offs is one I don't agree with, I think that was over reaction to some odd interviews Hilly has conducted over the last couple of months.

The constant dubbing down of our Play Off chances, supporters being over ambitious, comments about himself feeling flat and de energised etc all snowballed into a negative feeling from some fans ( myself) regarding what we could possibly achieve. Not bringing anybody in to try to replace Done and comments about ready made replacements,also added to the feeling that having a right good go at the Play Offs seemed out of reach. This is compounded by the lack of positivity/ silence from the club in an attempt to even try to enthuse the town regarding our very real chances of a Play Off spot.

I understand that this could all be a bit too early but it's a very real possibility the chance may never present itself again and did we really push the boat out to give us our really best chance?
Only Hilly and the chairman will know the answer to that.
Let's talk about the Play Offs on 18:24 - Mar 30 with 1479 viewsDaleiLama

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 17:48 - Mar 30 by TalkingSutty

Hilly moving heaven and earth to make sure we aren't in the play offs is one I don't agree with, I think that was over reaction to some odd interviews Hilly has conducted over the last couple of months.

The constant dubbing down of our Play Off chances, supporters being over ambitious, comments about himself feeling flat and de energised etc all snowballed into a negative feeling from some fans ( myself) regarding what we could possibly achieve. Not bringing anybody in to try to replace Done and comments about ready made replacements,also added to the feeling that having a right good go at the Play Offs seemed out of reach. This is compounded by the lack of positivity/ silence from the club in an attempt to even try to enthuse the town regarding our very real chances of a Play Off spot.

I understand that this could all be a bit too early but it's a very real possibility the chance may never present itself again and did we really push the boat out to give us our really best chance?
Only Hilly and the chairman will know the answer to that.

I guess it boils down to whether you believe in Hilly or not. I made the point on another thread a while ago that he took us closer and closer to promotion from L2 until we finally tipped into an automatic promotion spot and built a squad that was not only good enough to stay up but that squad now sits in a play-off spot with 8 games to go. Of course, like stocks and shares, past performance guarantees nothing for the future, but his record does show he can evaluate talent and put together a squad that play the right way and get results. It is just my opinion (or dream) that he can do that again. His successes aren't flukes.

If we got a chance of making the play-offs this year we must give it our best shot and have nothing to lose and everything (experience) to gain, but again, just my opinion, there aren't many teams (of course there are some, but they are exceptions) who take a L2 squad and go straight up to the C'ship and survive. The amount of upgrading of your squad that needs to take place in such a short time is difficult with an unlimited budget but over the next 1, 2 or 3 years as our own youngsters come through and with some outside help, why shouldn't we be able to have another crack at promotion and guess what - we'd even have a better chance of staying up because instead of finishing 6th, we may be good enough to finish in the top 2 by then?
Believe in the sign!

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 18:32 - Mar 30 with 1459 viewsflyerdale

Here are three snippets from the first page of the infamous 14 page thread recently. I haven't gone back over any others and neither do I intend to and neither do I want to fan the embers of any of any entrenched debates, but I read multiple comments about Hilly choosing weakened sides, his heart not being in it and various other conspiracy-type ramblings. My point is there is no conspiracy and anyone who thinks KH doesn't want to win games is just beyond help. That's all TS. Not picking any fights. Peace.

“I feel that we have surrendered the chance to win more points through lots of strange decisions in the last few months. These include team selections, formations, lack of ambition, not berating performance, berating performance (vincenti yesterday) inconsistency (see previous point) crazy comments in interviews”.

“KH has told us that we wont be in the play offs and he will move heaven and earth to make sure that he is right! He has told us all that he doesn't like his job at the minute, as he is de-energised! He as virtually announced that he wont be doing the job that he is paid good money to do for the rest of the season, to such an extent that he forgot we were losing on Saturday”!

“I cannot find a reason why we would not want to go up, but it seems there must be. The only semi valid reasons I can think of is something weird in the stadium negotiations or we cannot afford due to contracts - sadly neither seem to make any sense”!!!!

That my friend is called 'sh!t stirring' nobody called the intentions of the manager, it was the way he was conducting himself in the media. But well done for bringing it all back up so we yet again have a too ing and throwing argument lasting several pages.

Tut tut
Let's talk about the Play Offs on 19:20 - Mar 30 with 1393 viewsTalkingSutty

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 18:24 - Mar 30 by DaleiLama

I guess it boils down to whether you believe in Hilly or not. I made the point on another thread a while ago that he took us closer and closer to promotion from L2 until we finally tipped into an automatic promotion spot and built a squad that was not only good enough to stay up but that squad now sits in a play-off spot with 8 games to go. Of course, like stocks and shares, past performance guarantees nothing for the future, but his record does show he can evaluate talent and put together a squad that play the right way and get results. It is just my opinion (or dream) that he can do that again. His successes aren't flukes.

If we got a chance of making the play-offs this year we must give it our best shot and have nothing to lose and everything (experience) to gain, but again, just my opinion, there aren't many teams (of course there are some, but they are exceptions) who take a L2 squad and go straight up to the C'ship and survive. The amount of upgrading of your squad that needs to take place in such a short time is difficult with an unlimited budget but over the next 1, 2 or 3 years as our own youngsters come through and with some outside help, why shouldn't we be able to have another crack at promotion and guess what - we'd even have a better chance of staying up because instead of finishing 6th, we may be good enough to finish in the top 2 by then?
Believe in the sign!

Just listened to The manager and Chairman on Radio Manchester and I enjoyed it. Chris Dunphys response to reaching the Championship via this seasons Play Offs put a lot of things to bed for me. He suggested it would create real problems for a club of our size and realistically mid table in league one is a better option. To be truthful I agree with him.

At first glance his views can be taken as being negative but deep down they are wise words.If not chasing the dream of play offs /promotion means a higher budget to further consolidate next season then fair enough and it answers questions regarding not recruiting in the final third of the season.

It seems the will wasn't there and the reasons are all very valid and understandable. Hilly's the fly in the ointment though because he keeps producing football teams that outgrow the actual Football Club.

Consolidation in league one isn't to be sniffed at!!
[Post edited 30 Mar 2015 19:24]
Let's talk about the Play Offs on 19:34 - Mar 30 with 1346 viewsD_Alien

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 19:20 - Mar 30 by TalkingSutty

Just listened to The manager and Chairman on Radio Manchester and I enjoyed it. Chris Dunphys response to reaching the Championship via this seasons Play Offs put a lot of things to bed for me. He suggested it would create real problems for a club of our size and realistically mid table in league one is a better option. To be truthful I agree with him.

At first glance his views can be taken as being negative but deep down they are wise words.If not chasing the dream of play offs /promotion means a higher budget to further consolidate next season then fair enough and it answers questions regarding not recruiting in the final third of the season.

It seems the will wasn't there and the reasons are all very valid and understandable. Hilly's the fly in the ointment though because he keeps producing football teams that outgrow the actual Football Club.

Also explains why there's been no attempt to get more fans through the door. Of course, that's been a perennial issue on here, but let's face it you can hardly start promoting the club (commercially) if in your heart of hearts you know it'd create real problems this season.

Even one season of consolidation makes a huge difference. New commercial manager coming in, control of the stadium, youngsters gaining experience and greater depth of squad. All of these bode well, providing KH is truly on board for the longer term.

[Post edited 30 Mar 2015 19:36]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 19:36 - Mar 30 with 1338 viewsDomDale

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 19:20 - Mar 30 by TalkingSutty

I'd say we're mostly a pragmatic lot and *IF* we somehow got promoted this season would appreciate we would be by far the smallest club in terms of budget and expected to go down. There have been other such teams in the championship in the past 10-15 years who have managed to stay up for a season or two and not put themselves in financial jeopardy. We'll be looking at triple the crowd size , a lot of TV money and a guaranteed 3rd round FA cup place so there would be more revenue available to strengthen the squad if required. There's no requirement to sign an ex premier league journey man on £20k a week for 3 years and I doubt hill or dunphy would sanction such a move.

Whatever happens I'm looking forward to next season. League one packed with local derbies and a season I think we could push for the play offs again. Or a season of the unknown playing massive clubs week in week out. Think FA cup 3rd round day every game.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2015 21:52]

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 19:47 - Mar 30 with 1299 viewsThacks_Rabbits

The last Paragraph is mine, and was written in context of what was going on at the time and in a full thread, not a one off comment, and I stand by it - do you want to post the rest of what I said in the thread of would you prefer just to use snippets?

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Login to get fewer ads

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 19:53 - Mar 30 with 1265 viewsTalkingSutty

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 19:36 - Mar 30 by DomDale

I'd say we're mostly a pragmatic lot and *IF* we somehow got promoted this season would appreciate we would be by far the smallest club in terms of budget and expected to go down. There have been other such teams in the championship in the past 10-15 years who have managed to stay up for a season or two and not put themselves in financial jeopardy. We'll be looking at triple the crowd size , a lot of TV money and a guaranteed 3rd round FA cup place so there would be more revenue available to strengthen the squad if required. There's no requirement to sign an ex premier league journey man on £20k a week for 3 years and I doubt hill or dunphy would sanction such a move.

Whatever happens I'm looking forward to next season. League one packed with local derbies and a season I think we could push for the play offs again. Or a season of the unknown playing massive clubs week in week out. Think FA cup 3rd round day every game.
[Post edited 30 Mar 2015 21:52]

It's a strange end to a fantastic season. There is a fear factor into the possibility of somehow ending up in the Championship, it's unchartered waters and the fate of Stockport County and others doesn't help.

When you think about it logically and factor in our pathetic home attendances its ridiculous to even think we could be competing one level below the Premiership, who would have thought it?
Let's talk about the Play Offs on 20:06 - Mar 30 with 1237 viewsnordenblue

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 19:47 - Mar 30 by Thacks_Rabbits

The last Paragraph is mine, and was written in context of what was going on at the time and in a full thread, not a one off comment, and I stand by it - do you want to post the rest of what I said in the thread of would you prefer just to use snippets?

You're spot on too with that paragraph TR
Let's talk about the Play Offs on 20:52 - Mar 30 with 1174 viewsDaleiLama

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 18:32 - Mar 30 by flyerdale

That my friend is called 'sh!t stirring' nobody called the intentions of the manager, it was the way he was conducting himself in the media. But well done for bringing it all back up so we yet again have a too ing and throwing argument lasting several pages.

Tut tut

No intention of stirring the pot whatsoever fd and the last thing I want to do is rehash all that again. Folks have opinions and each is entitled to his own. I disagree that it was just the way KH conducted himself in the media, but I do respect that that is your opinion.

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 20:57 - Mar 30 with 1157 viewsDomDale

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 19:53 - Mar 30 by TalkingSutty

It's a strange end to a fantastic season. There is a fear factor into the possibility of somehow ending up in the Championship, it's unchartered waters and the fate of Stockport County and others doesn't help.

When you think about it logically and factor in our pathetic home attendances its ridiculous to even think we could be competing one level below the Premiership, who would have thought it?

Blimey. Stockport. We could be 4 leagues above them come August. Some feat in seven seasons, considering one of em contained a relegation to L2. Bring it on I say!

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 21:04 - Mar 30 with 1149 viewsTVOS1907

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 19:34 - Mar 30 by D_Alien

Also explains why there's been no attempt to get more fans through the door. Of course, that's been a perennial issue on here, but let's face it you can hardly start promoting the club (commercially) if in your heart of hearts you know it'd create real problems this season.

Even one season of consolidation makes a huge difference. New commercial manager coming in, control of the stadium, youngsters gaining experience and greater depth of squad. All of these bode well, providing KH is truly on board for the longer term.

[Post edited 30 Mar 2015 19:36]

I don't often say this, but I can't agree with your first sentence, D_Alien.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 21:19 - Mar 30 with 1116 viewsDaleiLama

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 19:47 - Mar 30 by Thacks_Rabbits

Apologies if I took your or any other comment out of context TR - I was scanning through that thread because there was a lot of dissent in it and I copied and pasted comments to keep the post as brief as poss.

This is not aimed at you TR, I'm just posting this thought in this reply, but I get fed up with people second guessing Hilly all the time when they have no experience whatsoever of coaching, let alone managing a football club and motivating a team to get into a play-off spot with 8 games to go.

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 21:31 - Mar 30 with 1089 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 21:19 - Mar 30 by DaleiLama

Apologies if I took your or any other comment out of context TR - I was scanning through that thread because there was a lot of dissent in it and I copied and pasted comments to keep the post as brief as poss.

This is not aimed at you TR, I'm just posting this thought in this reply, but I get fed up with people second guessing Hilly all the time when they have no experience whatsoever of coaching, let alone managing a football club and motivating a team to get into a play-off spot with 8 games to go.

I never took it as personal and was just stating that taking statements from anywhere, on a snap shot point of view does not reflect anything really.

Hilly allows second guessing and I think he probably enjoys it (speaking from a qualified coach point of view) as he likes to have people wondering.

As I have said (in that same thread I think) is that Hill is doing a great job, CD and all the directors do a great job, however tonight Hilly stated they would not mess with the budget when the question was related to a loan deal, which would be short term and cost little in big picture. Of course there is something going on behind the scenes, what it is god knows!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 21:34 - Mar 30 with 1082 views442Dale

I think, finally, there's a realisation that we need to look properly at what goes on off the pitch and additional revenues. The job description for the new commercial manager illustrated this. The piece when she was appointed reiterated it.

The infrastructure which should have been put in place during the Centenary season could start to be built in the coming months. Everybody has to buy into it.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 21:38 - Mar 30 with 1075 viewsDaleiLama

Anyone got a link to the interviews?

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 22:41 - Mar 30 with 1021 viewsD_Alien

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 21:04 - Mar 30 by TVOS1907

I don't often say this, but I can't agree with your first sentence, D_Alien.

That's ok, but what has any attempt to get more fans through the door consisted of? If it's happened at all, it's been pretty half-hearted, which is my point.

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 22:59 - Mar 30 with 992 viewsisitme

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 22:41 - Mar 30 by D_Alien

That's ok, but what has any attempt to get more fans through the door consisted of? If it's happened at all, it's been pretty half-hearted, which is my point.

I do receive an email from the club before every game promoting out next match. The official site and social media also promote upcoming games. Tickets are given out in local schools and there were lots of young kids from the Asian community at the game versus Yeovil.
Let's talk about the Play Offs on 23:02 - Mar 30 with 985 viewsD_Alien

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 22:59 - Mar 30 by isitme

I do receive an email from the club before every game promoting out next match. The official site and social media also promote upcoming games. Tickets are given out in local schools and there were lots of young kids from the Asian community at the game versus Yeovil.

As I myself pointed out post-match. But these are all treading the same weary path to either preaching to the converted or the very easiest of options.

Roll on the new commercial manager.

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 23:03 - Mar 30 with 974 viewsTVOS1907

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 22:41 - Mar 30 by D_Alien

You've answered my point.

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 23:07 - Mar 30 with 951 viewsTVOS1907

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 22:59 - Mar 30 by isitme

Thing is, the majority of people who use the official site and Dale's social media are already likely to be Dale fans and are probably going to the games anyway.

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 23:07 - Mar 30 with 950 viewsD_Alien

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 23:03 - Mar 30 by TVOS1907

You've answered my point.

Arf hearted?

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 23:08 - Mar 30 with 941 viewsTVOS1907

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 23:07 - Mar 30 by D_Alien

Arf hearted?

Arf Arrowsmith?

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 23:08 - Mar 30 with 936 viewsdingdangblue

Let's talk about the Play Offs on 21:38 - Mar 30 by DaleiLama

Anyone got a link to the interviews?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02mp6ry

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024