Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Forecasted extra revenue for next season 01:17 - May 21 with 7361 viewsHopwoodblue

Firstly the increase in admission prices Should bring in about an extra £110k
Based on the teams who are now our league would think our average gate could be around 4k ?
Say 1500 season ticket holders means around 2500 paying an extra £2 each = 5k per home game x
23 = 115k not sure if the kids under 16 have gone up but still a bit to compensate. Plus the extra money on top of last seasons away receipts with the teams now in div one.
Dawsons gone surely Lillis will to if we signed Logan, would their two wages not cover Logan's ?
If we are signing only key players surely O' Connell back on a season long loan (agree to pay 50% of his wages) plus a decent striker and we wouldn't be far short of starting the season off with a decent squad especially if this Donal guy turns out to be half tidy. Doesn't seem like would be breaking the bank to much. Surely we still have some of our transfer plus cup run money in there
To make up the short fall if there is any ?
Just a thought.

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 12:05 - May 22 with 1596 viewsTVOS1907

Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 12:00 - May 22 by ParkinsGimp

Brilliant if correct, now all we need is a free transfer centre mid and two decent forwards . You cheered me up already .

Do you think these people play for free as well?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 12:18 - May 22 with 1574 viewsBobbyjoe

Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 11:51 - May 22 by HK_Dale

You're trolling, right?

His argument is just, tickets should be cheaper, this will definitely increase the number of fans. Neither point has been supported by any evidence and it has been shown that the season tickets work out at fantastic value.

Tazzy is a mercenary - his priority isn't dale. If it was, he would have bought a season ticket over other jaunts to former soviet countries and trips to burnley....

His argument, as I understand it, is that admission prices are too expensive, and that the club is insufficiently active in promoting interest; both contentions are incontrovertible in my view, regardless of motive. The club could do with a couple of thousand "mercenaries"; incidentally, an interesting way of describing potential new customers; I'm surprised more businesses don't employ it!
Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 12:32 - May 22 with 1540 viewsHK_Dale

Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 12:18 - May 22 by Bobbyjoe

His argument, as I understand it, is that admission prices are too expensive, and that the club is insufficiently active in promoting interest; both contentions are incontrovertible in my view, regardless of motive. The club could do with a couple of thousand "mercenaries"; incidentally, an interesting way of describing potential new customers; I'm surprised more businesses don't employ it!

But he goes further than that - by saying prices should be back to 2007/8 levels. As has been pointed out, prices have had to increase for a variety of macro issues that the club can't control.

He also references 2007/8 as a shining beacon of the off the field activities - which again looking at the wembley example isn't correct. Things could be better in promoting dale, we all agree with this, but harking back to 8 years ago as some mystical time when all was well with the world is a step too far.

On the mercenaries point - i agree, the more people who don't bleed dale but will come to 10-15 games a season the better.Incidentally the more people who will join the small group of us who are dale through and through, that's also beneficial.

It's their choice if they then choose to espouse a holier than thou attitude about all things dale related and claim to be the one true superfan etc. Similarly it's my perogative that this should be pointed out.

He can spend his money how he chooses - just don't complain if you can't then afford to do everything you want, people have to prioritise what they spend their money on.
Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 12:48 - May 22 with 1503 viewsBobbyjoe

Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 12:32 - May 22 by HK_Dale

But he goes further than that - by saying prices should be back to 2007/8 levels. As has been pointed out, prices have had to increase for a variety of macro issues that the club can't control.

He also references 2007/8 as a shining beacon of the off the field activities - which again looking at the wembley example isn't correct. Things could be better in promoting dale, we all agree with this, but harking back to 8 years ago as some mystical time when all was well with the world is a step too far.

On the mercenaries point - i agree, the more people who don't bleed dale but will come to 10-15 games a season the better.Incidentally the more people who will join the small group of us who are dale through and through, that's also beneficial.

It's their choice if they then choose to espouse a holier than thou attitude about all things dale related and claim to be the one true superfan etc. Similarly it's my perogative that this should be pointed out.

He can spend his money how he chooses - just don't complain if you can't then afford to do everything you want, people have to prioritise what they spend their money on.

Your use of the term "mercenary" in any kind of football watching context is, frankly, laughable. Perhaps I wasn't so far away when I suggested (tongue-in-cheek) people might have to swear an oath of loyalty before being allowed to hand over their twenty-two quid!
Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 12:55 - May 22 with 1480 viewsmilly

Must admit,i miss most away games that charge over £20 for away supporters.Obviously,i dont miss them all but i pick and choose.Id go to all if not over £20 admission.PS,This applies to L1 only.
Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 12:57 - May 22 with 1466 viewsdingdangblue

Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 12:00 - May 22 by ParkinsGimp

Brilliant if correct, now all we need is a free transfer centre mid and two decent forwards . You cheered me up already .

There's hundreds of footballers just been released for free, good ones - why would we go trying to get contracted players having to pay transfer fees? Id rather Hill pick up freebies because we cant afford transfer fees + wages on top. Obviously if the likes of Sheff Utd and Barnsley are prepared to waste money this way then good on them - but it didn't help them get promoted last season unless I missed something.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 12:57 - May 22 with 1462 viewsHK_Dale

Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 12:48 - May 22 by Bobbyjoe

Your use of the term "mercenary" in any kind of football watching context is, frankly, laughable. Perhaps I wasn't so far away when I suggested (tongue-in-cheek) people might have to swear an oath of loyalty before being allowed to hand over their twenty-two quid!

Can't help but feel you have misinterpreted what i've said.

I did say (paraphrasing here) that the more "mercenaries" the better, but having people who are dale through and through is also a great thing.

My issue in this case is that said individual is a mercenary who badges himself as a Dale superfan...
Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 13:03 - May 22 with 1439 viewsmilly

Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 12:57 - May 22 by dingdangblue

There's hundreds of footballers just been released for free, good ones - why would we go trying to get contracted players having to pay transfer fees? Id rather Hill pick up freebies because we cant afford transfer fees + wages on top. Obviously if the likes of Sheff Utd and Barnsley are prepared to waste money this way then good on them - but it didn't help them get promoted last season unless I missed something.

It is only because we cant afford to buy players.Im sure Hilly would love to buy some contracted players if the money was available.Yes,there are a few good ones out of contract but their are also a few good ones under contract id buy if we could.
Login to get fewer ads

Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 13:33 - May 22 with 1374 viewsdingdangblue

Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 13:03 - May 22 by milly

It is only because we cant afford to buy players.Im sure Hilly would love to buy some contracted players if the money was available.Yes,there are a few good ones out of contract but their are also a few good ones under contract id buy if we could.

I would imagine Hill gets great satisfaction unearthing the next Will Buckley, Craig Dawson, Matt Done, Matt Lund, Scott Hogan, Peter Vincenti, Ian Henderson.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 13:39 - May 22 with 1356 viewsTVOS1907

Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 12:18 - May 22 by Bobbyjoe

You're spectacularly missing the point.

Part of his argument is that season tickets are too expensive; they aren't.

It's true he and a lot of other fans possibly can't afford to shell out over £300 in one go, but then a lot of others don't go swanning off to pointless tournaments in Europe, watch Premier League football at Burnley, drink Guinness, win on Golden Gamble and buy expensive cameras, only to then say can't justify buying a season ticket for the club they claim to support and love unconditionally.

As Col posted earlier, a lot of us would like to travel first class when we go on a plane or train, but we can't afford it so we travel standard class. We don't pay for the upgrade and then moan that we can't afford a taxi from the airport!

Taz has some valid points about the marketing, etc, but that is a completely separate issue and constantly referring back to this Golden Age of the Centenary Season doesn't strengthen his argument.

What other things cost the same as they did in 2007/08? (Apart from The Voice of Spotland)

Petrol? Gas? Electricity? Water? Council Tax? ......

Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 13:46 - May 22 with 1340 viewsmilly

I agree but im sure he would also have targets to buy if the funds were available.
Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 14:08 - May 22 with 1304 viewsBobbyjoe

Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 13:39 - May 22 by TVOS1907

You're spectacularly missing the point.

Part of his argument is that season tickets are too expensive; they aren't.

It's true he and a lot of other fans possibly can't afford to shell out over £300 in one go, but then a lot of others don't go swanning off to pointless tournaments in Europe, watch Premier League football at Burnley, drink Guinness, win on Golden Gamble and buy expensive cameras, only to then say can't justify buying a season ticket for the club they claim to support and love unconditionally.

As Col posted earlier, a lot of us would like to travel first class when we go on a plane or train, but we can't afford it so we travel standard class. We don't pay for the upgrade and then moan that we can't afford a taxi from the airport!

Taz has some valid points about the marketing, etc, but that is a completely separate issue and constantly referring back to this Golden Age of the Centenary Season doesn't strengthen his argument.

What other things cost the same as they did in 2007/08? (Apart from The Voice of Spotland)

Petrol? Gas? Electricity? Water? Council Tax? ......

Is this a five-minute argument or the full half-hour?

I suggest you're spectacularly missing the point, in focussing exclusively on the messenger at the expense of the message. Season-tickets are too expensive, to all but season-ticket holders, that's precisely the point he's making, as I understand it. He has drawn parallels with similar clubs, all of whom do much better in attracting crowds.
Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 14:31 - May 22 with 1270 viewsdingdangblue

Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 14:08 - May 22 by Bobbyjoe

I suggest you're spectacularly missing the point, in focussing exclusively on the messenger at the expense of the message. Season-tickets are too expensive, to all but season-ticket holders, that's precisely the point he's making, as I understand it. He has drawn parallels with similar clubs, all of whom do much better in attracting crowds.

No ones similar to us though? 40 years in the doldrums takes a lot of undoing. Oldham ? Premier League and Championship and Cup Semi finals/Finals. bury ? Championship success and League One Champions. Wigan ? Premier League for 8 years and FA Cup winners. And we are all in the shadow of Man Utd and Man City.

Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 14:46 - May 22 with 1243 viewsColDale

But there is an issue regarding the reporting of season ticket costs, and as supporters we are perhaps the biggest culprits of it. For whatever reason, when quoting season ticket prices, we will inevitably quote the more expensive prices rather than the cheapest price going which creates an illusion of season ticket prices being more expensive than they actually are and beyond affordability for many potential season ticket holders.

There won't be many League One teams with season tickets priced as cheap as £277. Wigan can afford to due to a parachute payment almost 32 times the size of our gate receipts for an entire season. Bradford can due to a fanbase 4-5 times the size of ours. But I'd be astonished if you could buy an adult season ticket for cheaper than £277 at Bury, Preston, Shrewsbury, Chesterfield, Sheff U, Barnsley, Oldham etc. Might be wrong, but I'd wager that there's no more than 3 or 4 teams in League One offering cheaper adult season tickets than ourselves.

But of course they are still expensive. Football is expensive. But as a caring, sharing club, we allow those on a limited income participate in the P2L scheme, with entry to Spotland for £10. Obviously we cannot offer season tickets aimed at this tier of support as you cannot assume someone will be without employment for a full season. Are there any other League One clubs offering reduced admission for the unemployed?

Of course, it's incredibly difficult to price entry as such a point which allows us to be competitive with other teams in League One. We already had the lowest matchday income of any team in the division (except maybe Crawley). We're attempting to do so in a way that protects the core support, and takes advantage of the away supporters who will most likely come to Spotland regardless of the admission costs.

With one of the cheapest matchday admissions, one of the cheapest season tickets, great deals for under sixteens, and a cracking offer for those between jobs, you'd be hard pushed to claim that we're not trying.
Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 14:50 - May 22 with 1225 viewsdingdangblue

Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 14:46 - May 22 by ColDale

But there is an issue regarding the reporting of season ticket costs, and as supporters we are perhaps the biggest culprits of it. For whatever reason, when quoting season ticket prices, we will inevitably quote the more expensive prices rather than the cheapest price going which creates an illusion of season ticket prices being more expensive than they actually are and beyond affordability for many potential season ticket holders.

There won't be many League One teams with season tickets priced as cheap as £277. Wigan can afford to due to a parachute payment almost 32 times the size of our gate receipts for an entire season. Bradford can due to a fanbase 4-5 times the size of ours. But I'd be astonished if you could buy an adult season ticket for cheaper than £277 at Bury, Preston, Shrewsbury, Chesterfield, Sheff U, Barnsley, Oldham etc. Might be wrong, but I'd wager that there's no more than 3 or 4 teams in League One offering cheaper adult season tickets than ourselves.

But of course they are still expensive. Football is expensive. But as a caring, sharing club, we allow those on a limited income participate in the P2L scheme, with entry to Spotland for £10. Obviously we cannot offer season tickets aimed at this tier of support as you cannot assume someone will be without employment for a full season. Are there any other League One clubs offering reduced admission for the unemployed?

Of course, it's incredibly difficult to price entry as such a point which allows us to be competitive with other teams in League One. We already had the lowest matchday income of any team in the division (except maybe Crawley). We're attempting to do so in a way that protects the core support, and takes advantage of the away supporters who will most likely come to Spotland regardless of the admission costs.

With one of the cheapest matchday admissions, one of the cheapest season tickets, great deals for under sixteens, and a cracking offer for those between jobs, you'd be hard pushed to claim that we're not trying.

Free season ticket for 7 and under also. I'm renewing my sons next week.

Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 14:53 - May 22 with 1214 viewsmilly

Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 14:46 - May 22 by ColDale

That cheapest ticket is for the standing area.More expensive if you want to sit in Main Stand etc.I can name at least 3 who do unemployed cheaper admission (Preston,Bury and Colchester) may be more but those on top of head.Think Bury is £300 for season ticket but that is for anywhere in the ground.We might be one of the cheapest starting price (for standing up) but,overall,we are expensive to some.
Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 15:06 - May 22 with 1179 viewsBobbyjoe

It's not really relevant how relatively cheap or expensive they are; none of us is going to buy a season-ticket for any other club regardless of the price (unless they were to sign Paddy obv!.). It's a case of making the few (several?) thousand people whose only live football-going is Dale, an offer they can't refuse! To say we'll never attract more people is the counsel of despair. But the task is getting more and more difficult, because the pay-on-the-gate increases will mean several more getting out of the habit. I'm sure we all know quite a few people who used to go far more often.
Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 15:07 - May 22 with 1173 viewsColDale

Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 15:06 - May 22 by Bobbyjoe

It's not really relevant how relatively cheap or expensive they are; none of us is going to buy a season-ticket for any other club regardless of the price (unless they were to sign Paddy obv!.). It's a case of making the few (several?) thousand people whose only live football-going is Dale, an offer they can't refuse! To say we'll never attract more people is the counsel of despair. But the task is getting more and more difficult, because the pay-on-the-gate increases will mean several more getting out of the habit. I'm sure we all know quite a few people who used to go far more often.

Yes, but they moved to bloody Austria!
Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 15:22 - May 22 with 1142 viewsTVOS1907

I can make it as long as you want.

I've said I agree with his comments about marketing and attracting crowds.

However, £333 (£308 with the £25 discount voucher) for 23 games (in the TDS Stand) is NOT expensive for League 1 football in the modern day. It might have been when you were a lad, BJ, but it's not now. Those are the facts. You would struggle to find similar entertainment more competitively priced in 2015.

The fact it's been the same price for several years when many other things keep rising in price shouldn't be overlooked either.

I also agree that the £2 matchday increase is too much and I don't think I've said otherwise anywhere on this board.

If I am focusing solely on the messenger it's because I'm sick to death of him peddling the same old thing when he realises he's going to have to pay to get into Spotland instead of buying another Guinness or traipsing to a non-descript international match in Outer Mongolia using mine and your taxes! That's the point!!
[Post edited 22 May 2015 15:26]

Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 15:58 - May 22 with 1099 viewsaleanddale

The season ticket is excellent value.

the club / board whoever have balled up ( IMHO ) regarding the £2.00 increase.

In my humble opinion they could have handled it differently saying the club has to increase matchday admission by £2.00. We have listened to the supporter and we want to keep local lower league football as affordable as possible therefore the £2 increase will be implented £1 next season and a further £1 the season after that.

I dont think that would have been viewed as unreasonable and the upfront this is what we are doing to help would have been well received.

This extra £2 could do some serious damage to the work we are doing in the selling to the floating public.
Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 16:56 - May 22 with 1057 viewsRosun

Would it have been an option to only apply the increase to visiting fans? Justify it on the principles of a nice new(ish) stand, no stanchions obstructing any view etc etc.

Maybe prior to future price increases then consider a membership scheme (for a nominal amount, say £2 to cover administration costs) and members pay £x on the gate whereas non-members pay £x + £2?

There are pros and cons with this approach. Pros - Membership enables harvesting of the fan base. Cons - Fiddly for the gate staff and potentially open to abuse.

I got stung at Fleetwood away last season when they wanted £16 to admit a 7 year old. If she had been a member of their (free) scheme it would've been a fiver instead but you couldn't join on the day. Lesson learnt there for next season!
Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 17:50 - May 22 with 1015 views442Dale

Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 16:56 - May 22 by Rosun

Would it have been an option to only apply the increase to visiting fans? Justify it on the principles of a nice new(ish) stand, no stanchions obstructing any view etc etc.

Maybe prior to future price increases then consider a membership scheme (for a nominal amount, say £2 to cover administration costs) and members pay £x on the gate whereas non-members pay £x + £2?

There are pros and cons with this approach. Pros - Membership enables harvesting of the fan base. Cons - Fiddly for the gate staff and potentially open to abuse.

I got stung at Fleetwood away last season when they wanted £16 to admit a 7 year old. If she had been a member of their (free) scheme it would've been a fiver instead but you couldn't join on the day. Lesson learnt there for next season!

But no club should be looking to charge away fans more. They're football fans like us, the price should be kept as low as possible.

Our season tickets are good value, but our matchday prices have broken the £20 barrier in some areas of the ground and that's something all clubs at our level should be looking to avoid.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 19:15 - May 22 with 955 viewsRosun

Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 17:50 - May 22 by 442Dale

But no club should be looking to charge away fans more. They're football fans like us, the price should be kept as low as possible.

Our season tickets are good value, but our matchday prices have broken the £20 barrier in some areas of the ground and that's something all clubs at our level should be looking to avoid.

Sorry 442, I didn't mean in a 'rip off the away fans' type scenario, more along the lines of it costs more to watch the game from the Main Stand rather than the Pearl St end.

So pricing the Willbutts in parity with the Main Stand.
[Post edited 22 May 2015 19:21]
Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 19:22 - May 22 with 942 views442Dale

Maybe my misunderstanding! But it was on the basis of the line about the possibility of only applying an increase to away fans, all clubs should be looking at ensuring fans in general get the best possible deal.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Forecasted extra revenue for next season on 19:29 - May 22 with 937 viewsRosun

No problem 442, more likely me not explaining my warped logic correctly!
Maybe we should charge away fans the equivalent of what we get charged when we go to their ground.
Is it £36 at Leeds United? Come on down.

[Post edited 22 May 2015 19:31]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024