Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More publicity for the Danczuks 12:22 - Jun 14 with 18223 viewsD_Alien

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/Magazine/article1566129.ece

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

More publicity for the Danczuks on 23:05 - Jul 4 with 4156 viewsR17ALE

More publicity for the Danczuks on 20:44 - Jul 4 by 49thseason

Indeed.

Whilst you might argue that there are hugely valid aspects to his allegations that need to be investigated as a matter of priority, it's difficult to see how continually bringing Rochdale to the notice of every journalist and politician with an axe to grind helps the town one iota

Rochdale is now the place that talented people and businesses cross off their lists of places they might consider moving to. Hence, the town is struggling to attract Maths teachers, social workers, doctors, dentists in fact almost every profession you can name. This causes the things that get measured (like Ofsted do) to slip further behind national trends and simply supplies more reasons for the people we need to choose to go elsewhere.

It seems to me that the downward spiral is virtually unstoppable - I believe the aforementioned Ofsted will soon force all Rochdale schools into becoming academies if there is no huge improve in outcomes across the Borough. Its almost inevitable that Rochdale will be subsumed into the new "Greater Manchester Powerhouse" with little or no local input and an end to our ability to run our own affairs. Mind you based on what has been achieved in the the last 50 years many will argue the sooner the better.

Danczuk has opened a can of worms and lost the lid, I fear it will end badly for all of us.

Great post. And Colcav and TVOS support your quote....

"Hence, the town is struggling to attract Maths teachers."

They're busy teaching Burnley and bury fans!

And, I'd add that if bury fc are a marker for Col's maths skills, he should be struck off the list!

Burnley are a far better example to us and TVOS is clearly due some respect! He knows numbers!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

More publicity for the Danczuks on 23:32 - Jul 4 with 4111 viewsSJE_Dale

The more and more I saw of the Danczuks in papers the more it made me feel sick that they were representing our town with the tripe they were coming out with and I can't say I'm surprised that a story like this has come out of their divorce.

Simon managed to bring out underlying problems within child sex abuse claims. Fantastic, but there are also other matters that he was elected for that he is currently not doing. Maybe now as he takes time to reflect he might go back to doing his job properly rather than looking for any way to get his name into the papers.

Karen in my opinion can just do one. Everything that she's done in the past year has been to give herself a famous image that she obviously craves and it doesn't half wind me up when her name appears alongside Rochdale.
More publicity for the Danczuks on 00:35 - Jul 5 with 4070 viewsroccydaleian

More shite..
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/karen-danczuks-mp-husband-simon-6004378
More publicity for the Danczuks on 01:58 - Jul 5 with 4022 viewsTVOS1907

More publicity for the Danczuks on 23:05 - Jul 4 by R17ALE

Great post. And Colcav and TVOS support your quote....

"Hence, the town is struggling to attract Maths teachers."

They're busy teaching Burnley and bury fans!

And, I'd add that if bury fc are a marker for Col's maths skills, he should be struck off the list!

Burnley are a far better example to us and TVOS is clearly due some respect! He knows numbers!

Tbf, Col hasn't worked in bury for many years and a few Dale fans have found their way to the Rossendale Valley.

Otherwise, fair point.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2015 1:58]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

More publicity for the Danczuks on 08:36 - Jul 5 with 3906 viewsBobbyjoe

The town's slide began in 1965 when the grammar school was abolished, since when thousands of Rochdale boys and girls have been educated in surrounding towns, and forged links there. Whatever one may think of the merits and fairness, or otherwise, of the grammar school system, if you're the only town that doesn't have one, the long-term, knock-on effects cannot but fail to be economically damaging.
More publicity for the Danczuks on 09:59 - Jul 5 with 3805 viewsColDale

I think Simon gets a bad press at times. He's not a Labour politician in the form of a Tony Benn and I was rather miffed that he never apologised over the whole Hery thing, but he took on the Cyril Smith issue that no one else (aside from the RAP in the 70's) did. It was widely known what went on, but the local council, police, media all just allowed it to flourish. And I couldn't care less if he made a few bob from the book. There's many an accusation aimed at him over this from people who happily stayed quiet for 30 years. (not aimed at anyone on here)

He's probably more disliked within the Labour Party than he is locally, and there's many that accuse him of being on the wrong side of the house. But a modern day Labour Party needs to have people like Danczuk in it to ensure that broad appeal. There's too many on the left who love the nice, warm, comfy side which is opposition rather than actually having power and changing things. Cameron must feel that he won the election through default at times.

As for Karen, well I think she's been seduced by fame and it's looking like its cost her her family and her marriage. I think of her PR people along the same lines as a football agent swelling the head with ideas of fame and fortune. Am convinced she'll be in Celebrity Big Brother within weeks and when that doesn't bring in the media work she aspires to, she'll have to resort to the sympathy seeking muck raking stories just to have any media profile at all not realising her fifteen minutes are coming to an end. Those muck raking stories will no doubt put an end to Simon's time in politics, and like I said a few weeks ago, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he didn't see out his full term as the town's MP.

This post has been edited by an administrator
More publicity for the Danczuks on 11:03 - Jul 5 with 3730 viewsR17ALE

More publicity for the Danczuks on 08:36 - Jul 5 by Bobbyjoe

The town's slide began in 1965 when the grammar school was abolished, since when thousands of Rochdale boys and girls have been educated in surrounding towns, and forged links there. Whatever one may think of the merits and fairness, or otherwise, of the grammar school system, if you're the only town that doesn't have one, the long-term, knock-on effects cannot but fail to be economically damaging.

Couldn't agree more bj. Well said.

I had the good fortune to watch a BBC documentary on Grammar schools on sommot like BBC3 a few days ago where the focus was on folk who'd been born into impoverished backgrounds, but the kid had shown some nous, was recommended to sit the 11+, passed it and got a bursary to attend a Grammar school.

Would you believe this system produced 6 Prime Ministers?

A notable contributor to the programme was Richard Dimbleby, who happily credited his excellent career to the opportunities a Grammar School education provided him with.

The documentary finished before charting the closure of many Grammar schools, so I remain ignorant as to why so many closed, but it seems a bit daft when you look at the success stories the programme highlighted.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

More publicity for the Danczuks on 11:09 - Jul 5 with 3718 viewsD_Alien

More publicity for the Danczuks on 09:59 - Jul 5 by ColDale

I think Simon gets a bad press at times. He's not a Labour politician in the form of a Tony Benn and I was rather miffed that he never apologised over the whole Hery thing, but he took on the Cyril Smith issue that no one else (aside from the RAP in the 70's) did. It was widely known what went on, but the local council, police, media all just allowed it to flourish. And I couldn't care less if he made a few bob from the book. There's many an accusation aimed at him over this from people who happily stayed quiet for 30 years. (not aimed at anyone on here)

He's probably more disliked within the Labour Party than he is locally, and there's many that accuse him of being on the wrong side of the house. But a modern day Labour Party needs to have people like Danczuk in it to ensure that broad appeal. There's too many on the left who love the nice, warm, comfy side which is opposition rather than actually having power and changing things. Cameron must feel that he won the election through default at times.

As for Karen, well I think she's been seduced by fame and it's looking like its cost her her family and her marriage. I think of her PR people along the same lines as a football agent swelling the head with ideas of fame and fortune. Am convinced she'll be in Celebrity Big Brother within weeks and when that doesn't bring in the media work she aspires to, she'll have to resort to the sympathy seeking muck raking stories just to have any media profile at all not realising her fifteen minutes are coming to an end. Those muck raking stories will no doubt put an end to Simon's time in politics, and like I said a few weeks ago, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he didn't see out his full term as the town's MP.

This post has been edited by an administrator

I agree with most of that.

Simon is probably a bit too politically naive for the Westminster coterie and finding himself on the outside of the party he's simply spoken his mind. As for being accused of "not doing anything for Rochdale" - that too is politically naive - the view that an MP is meant to provide some sort of exclusive benefit to his/her constituency, when they're simply there to represent them and possibly act as advocates if any of us require it. There's no evidence whatsoever that he's been in any way neglectful of that duty.

As for Karen, this issue about being sexually abused by her brother is going to destroy her. As someone else posted, would you employ your abuser? It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that it happened but I doubt she'll ever be able to prove it, not in court at any rate. In which case, after the 5 minutes of fame is up there's nowhere to go but into decline.

Login to get fewer ads

More publicity for the Danczuks on 11:13 - Jul 5 with 3701 viewsD_Alien

More publicity for the Danczuks on 11:03 - Jul 5 by R17ALE

I had the good fortune to watch a BBC documentary on Grammar schools on sommot like BBC3 a few days ago where the focus was on folk who'd been born into impoverished backgrounds, but the kid had shown some nous, was recommended to sit the 11+, passed it and got a bursary to attend a Grammar school.

A notable contributor to the programme was Richard Dimbleby, who happily credited his excellent career to the opportunities a Grammar School education provided him with.

The documentary finished before charting the closure of many Grammar schools, so I remain ignorant as to why so many closed, but it seems a bit daft when you look at the success stories the programme highlighted.

That last sentence... it's not like you to be coy about summat like that. You know very well why they closed!

More publicity for the Danczuks on 11:38 - Jul 5 with 3653 viewsYadHoDale

Tend to agree (shock/horror - leftist agrees with Tory!)

However - the problem with Grammar Schools is, of course, what happens to those who don't get a place. The 1944 Education Act proposed the setting up of Technical Schools, concentrating on, er, Technical Skills, but these weren't iirc introduced nationally, and seen as inferior, whilst those who attended Secondary Modern schools were often stigmatised as failures. Any revival of selective education would need to address this problem.

The other problem is that children develop at different rates - so having one cut off point at 11 is a very unfair way of potentially affecting their future lives.

Nevertheless, the Conservative led governments since 2010 deserve some credit for at least looking at the problems of the education system. The wizard's sleeve Bliar gibbered on a lot about Education, Education, Education but never bothered to do anything. ..
More publicity for the Danczuks on 11:39 - Jul 5 with 3649 viewsfinberty

"If it's the last thing I do, I'm going to destroy every f*cking grammar school in England. And Wales. And Northern Ireland."

Anthony Crosland, Labour MP, Secretary of State for Education and Science in the mid-60s.

The quote was reported by his wife in her biography released many years later.
More publicity for the Danczuks on 11:59 - Jul 5 with 3618 viewsmingthemerciless

Rochdale had a Technical School. It was on the site of the job centre. Bit ironic really.
More publicity for the Danczuks on 12:04 - Jul 5 with 3617 viewsColDale

More publicity for the Danczuks on 11:38 - Jul 5 by YadHoDale

Tend to agree (shock/horror - leftist agrees with Tory!)

However - the problem with Grammar Schools is, of course, what happens to those who don't get a place. The 1944 Education Act proposed the setting up of Technical Schools, concentrating on, er, Technical Skills, but these weren't iirc introduced nationally, and seen as inferior, whilst those who attended Secondary Modern schools were often stigmatised as failures. Any revival of selective education would need to address this problem.

The other problem is that children develop at different rates - so having one cut off point at 11 is a very unfair way of potentially affecting their future lives.

Nevertheless, the Conservative led governments since 2010 deserve some credit for at least looking at the problems of the education system. The wizard's sleeve Bliar gibbered on a lot about Education, Education, Education but never bothered to do anything. ..

They do deserve some credit. The forthcoming Progress 8 benchmark is perhaps the fairest system that there's been in judging outcomes of students. Too many previous models allowed niche groups to be targeted as schools understandably fought it out for league table positions knowing the impact it will have on future funding through admissions. Was far too easy to play the game, whilst ignoring large numbers of students who were fortunate enough not to find themselves at a key boundary.

Equally, the changes in KS3/KS4 that allow schools to focus on what a student does or does not know can only be welcomed. it will ensure that the focus is on knowledge rather than passing exams. But the ramshackle way in which it has been introduced with next to no guidance is just a case of setting schools up to fail. it's like making a change without really thinking through what they want it to change into.

The narrowing of the curriculum to a 1950's model is very damaging for the next generation. There's an assumption that everyone is a potential academic, so practical skills are diminished. There's a sizeable minority of students who are just not suited to academia, and the narrowing sees them switch off at an earlier age when you used to be able to prepare them for learning a trade at 16+ through more technology based subjects. It says it all that romantic poetry is on the English curriculum simply on the basis of Gove enjoying it when he was at school.

Not sure whether Grammar schools are the answer or not. There's streaming in every school anyway so high achievers are targetted and pushed anyway. Key difference for me is that Grammar schools are able to operate on much smaller class sizes. A kid will always do better in a class of 20 than they would in a class of 30+. What I do know is that a school like Oulder Hill has been routinely devastated by local Grammar schools as any drive along Bury Road between 7-30 and 8 will show.
More publicity for the Danczuks on 12:15 - Jul 5 with 3598 viewsTVOS1907

More publicity for the Danczuks on 12:04 - Jul 5 by ColDale

They do deserve some credit. The forthcoming Progress 8 benchmark is perhaps the fairest system that there's been in judging outcomes of students. Too many previous models allowed niche groups to be targeted as schools understandably fought it out for league table positions knowing the impact it will have on future funding through admissions. Was far too easy to play the game, whilst ignoring large numbers of students who were fortunate enough not to find themselves at a key boundary.

Equally, the changes in KS3/KS4 that allow schools to focus on what a student does or does not know can only be welcomed. it will ensure that the focus is on knowledge rather than passing exams. But the ramshackle way in which it has been introduced with next to no guidance is just a case of setting schools up to fail. it's like making a change without really thinking through what they want it to change into.

The narrowing of the curriculum to a 1950's model is very damaging for the next generation. There's an assumption that everyone is a potential academic, so practical skills are diminished. There's a sizeable minority of students who are just not suited to academia, and the narrowing sees them switch off at an earlier age when you used to be able to prepare them for learning a trade at 16+ through more technology based subjects. It says it all that romantic poetry is on the English curriculum simply on the basis of Gove enjoying it when he was at school.

Not sure whether Grammar schools are the answer or not. There's streaming in every school anyway so high achievers are targetted and pushed anyway. Key difference for me is that Grammar schools are able to operate on much smaller class sizes. A kid will always do better in a class of 20 than they would in a class of 30+. What I do know is that a school like Oulder Hill has been routinely devastated by local Grammar schools as any drive along Bury Road between 7-30 and 8 will show.

Your second paragraph sums up my feelings on that issue as well. It's like Dale making up their own points system.

Not sure where you get the small class sizes thing from, though. For instance, we have a six form entry of 180 pupils, so class sizes of 30 are the norm, except for subjects like technology, where there aren't the facilities and classroom space due to machinery, ovens, etc.

In addition, most classes in the sixth form are around 20-25 students, due in the main to budget cuts.

I imagine the figures you're quoting are more relevant to fee-paying Grammar schools.
[Post edited 5 Jul 2015 12:29]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

More publicity for the Danczuks on 12:27 - Jul 5 with 3580 viewsWhiteyBFC

She has cracking breasts.
More publicity for the Danczuks on 13:05 - Jul 5 with 3588 viewsfinberty

More publicity for the Danczuks on 12:27 - Jul 5 by WhiteyBFC

She has cracking breasts.

Needs moisturiser then.
More publicity for the Danczuks on 13:08 - Jul 5 with 3585 viewsWhiteyBFC

More publicity for the Danczuks on 13:05 - Jul 5 by finberty

Needs moisturiser then.

Needs me applying it.
More publicity for the Danczuks on 13:59 - Jul 5 with 3524 viewsD_Alien

More publicity for the Danczuks on 13:08 - Jul 5 by WhiteyBFC

Needs me applying it.

Your posts, in an inverse relationship to Karen's breasts, are more entertaining the smaller they are.

More publicity for the Danczuks on 15:05 - Jul 5 with 3448 viewsWhiteyBFC

More publicity for the Danczuks on 13:59 - Jul 5 by D_Alien

Your posts, in an inverse relationship to Karen's breasts, are more entertaining the smaller they are.

My local MP is Naz Shah. Unfortunately, she doesn't show her cleavage much. But until recently I had to put up with a huge tit in George Galloway so mustn't grumble.
More publicity for the Danczuks on 17:43 - Jul 5 with 3355 viewsoff2div1

More publicity for the Danczuks on 11:59 - Jul 5 by mingthemerciless

Rochdale had a Technical School. It was on the site of the job centre. Bit ironic really.

Fine School gave me an education to get a Technical job.

More publicity for the Danczuks on 18:00 - Jul 5 with 3326 viewsSuddenLad

More publicity for the Danczuks on 17:43 - Jul 5 by off2div1

Fine School gave me an education to get a Technical job.

Great school. Loved it there.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

More publicity for the Danczuks on 18:16 - Jul 5 with 3287 viewsD_Alien

More publicity for the Danczuks on 15:05 - Jul 5 by WhiteyBFC

My local MP is Naz Shah. Unfortunately, she doesn't show her cleavage much. But until recently I had to put up with a huge tit in George Galloway so mustn't grumble.

Don't give up hope just yet, you can tell she's tempted.

More publicity for the Danczuks on 23:03 - Jul 5 with 3050 viewsWhiteyBFC

More publicity for the Danczuks on 18:16 - Jul 5 by D_Alien

Don't give up hope just yet, you can tell she's tempted.

More chance of me fasting for a month than her unleashing her puppies I think.
More publicity for the Danczuks on 01:25 - Jul 6 with 2966 viewsDiddyDave

More publicity for the Danczuks on 18:00 - Jul 5 by SuddenLad

Great school. Loved it there.

Yeah? I hated the fookin place. Five wasted years there when I should`ve stayed at Heybrook,but I had some great mates so I guess summat good came out of the dump. Was Chinny still there when you were at the Tech? Little prick he was.
More publicity for the Danczuks on 10:20 - Jul 6 with 2819 viewsSuddenLad

More publicity for the Danczuks on 01:25 - Jul 6 by DiddyDave

Yeah? I hated the fookin place. Five wasted years there when I should`ve stayed at Heybrook,but I had some great mates so I guess summat good came out of the dump. Was Chinny still there when you were at the Tech? Little prick he was.

Harold 'Chinny' Clegg was deputy headmaster, Lewis was the head.

'Chinny' died only very recently, aged about 93. Liked his discipline did Chinny. Fond of wielding the cane, but very few who got it didn't deserve it.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024