Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When will this stop? 16:20 - Jul 24 with 27853 viewsisitme

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33656802
When will this stop? (n/t) on 15:56 - Jul 26 with 2861 views1mark1

When will this stop? (n/t) on 15:26 - Jul 26 by mightydale

have you got proof and evidence to say that 99 9% of terrorist are not Muslim

No, but I have not said that is not the case. I just asked for proof and evidence for the statement that the vast majority of terrorists are Muslim.

If someone can provide verifiable proof and evidence that proves the case that "nearly all terrorists are Muslim" then I will accept it.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

When will this stop? on 16:38 - Jul 26 with 2850 views1mark1

When will this stop? on 15:40 - Jul 26 by isitme

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents,_2015

Interpret this as you will.

I do remember a quote that said that most terrorism involves Muslims killing other Muslims.

In the last century especially in Ireland Christians were killing Christians and I would not be surprised if that the majority of terrorism was committed by Christians.

Not too sure how accurate Wikipedia, but it doesn't include acts that many would consider to be terrorists acts carried out by Saudi Arabia, US, UK, Israel, and other sovereign countries.

When will this stop? on 20:50 - Jul 26 with 2764 viewshowy10

When will this stop? on 15:40 - Jul 26 by isitme

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents,_2015

Interpret this as you will.

I do remember a quote that said that most terrorism involves Muslims killing other Muslims.

Well, there you go!
When will this stop? on 21:03 - Jul 26 with 2742 viewshowy10

Are you totally blind to what ISIS are doing to their fellow humans (Muslims or not). People being slaughtered, including women and children, that don't conform to their barbarous murdering ethics. Go have a look on live leak. It is sickening. Can't even go on holiday day now without a bullet through your brain. How much proof do you want?
When will this stop? on 21:34 - Jul 26 with 2715 viewsR17ALE

When will this stop? on 21:03 - Jul 26 by howy10

Are you totally blind to what ISIS are doing to their fellow humans (Muslims or not). People being slaughtered, including women and children, that don't conform to their barbarous murdering ethics. Go have a look on live leak. It is sickening. Can't even go on holiday day now without a bullet through your brain. How much proof do you want?

I read in the paper the other day, that IS have taken to throwing gays off tall buildings. How barbaric is that? I'm not overly partial to the homo-sexuals, but chucking them off buildings like the 7 Sisters does seem a little over the top. Perhaps a floodlight might be fairer?

Maybe, instead, a night with Linda Lusardi or/and Sam Fox might provide a cure and there'd be a bit less to clean up afterwards.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

When will this stop? on 21:57 - Jul 26 with 2697 views1mark1

When will this stop? on 21:03 - Jul 26 by howy10

Er can you actually point out anytime when I have spoke out for them?

ISIS or whatever they should be called have been condemned by me and others who know they are murderous scum. Many of the Muslims that actually fight against them are opposed by the idiots in the US, UK etc. They have been funded by the Saudi Arabians and are a creature born out of pathetic attempts by the west to interfere in the running of Middle Eastern countries. They carry out the same kind of in-discriminant barbarism like what Christians did in previous times against people of other religions and none, or indeed other branches of Christianity.

None of this of course is anything to do with the original question, which anyone with a brain knows is nothing to do with religion, but is to do with weak, pathetic people mainly males having power over weaker victims.

When will this stop? on 22:31 - Jul 26 with 2683 viewsR17ALE

When will this stop? on 21:57 - Jul 26 by 1mark1

ISIS or whatever they should be called have been condemned by me and others who know they are murderous scum. Many of the Muslims that actually fight against them are opposed by the idiots in the US, UK etc. They have been funded by the Saudi Arabians and are a creature born out of pathetic attempts by the west to interfere in the running of Middle Eastern countries. They carry out the same kind of in-discriminant barbarism like what Christians did in previous times against people of other religions and none, or indeed other branches of Christianity.

None of this of course is anything to do with the original question, which anyone with a brain knows is nothing to do with religion, but is to do with weak, pathetic people mainly males having power over weaker victims.

Off topic Mark, I know, but you are a decent leftie who can argue your case well, but it's an awfully loaded question which I'd like a yes or no answer to if you can.

If Tony Blair hadn't been born, would Lee Rigby be alive today?

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

When will this stop? on 22:43 - Jul 26 with 2671 views1mark1

When will this stop? on 22:31 - Jul 26 by R17ALE

Off topic Mark, I know, but you are a decent leftie who can argue your case well, but it's an awfully loaded question which I'd like a yes or no answer to if you can.

If Tony Blair hadn't been born, would Lee Rigby be alive today?

Yes.(in my opinion)

Login to get fewer ads

When will this stop? on 23:06 - Jul 26 with 2644 viewsisitme

When will this stop? on 21:57 - Jul 26 by 1mark1

The Christian attrocties were committed during the middle ages if not earlier. The French Catholics were particularly severe against the Huguenot's. One of the main criticisms of the ISIS branch of Islam is that it is medeavial in outlook.

I would disagree strongly that without the invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan that westerners, like Lee Rigby would not be killed in the name of Allah.
When will this stop? on 23:07 - Jul 26 with 2639 viewsD_Alien

When will this stop? on 21:34 - Jul 26 by R17ALE

I read in the paper the other day, that IS have taken to throwing gays off tall buildings. How barbaric is that? I'm not overly partial to the homo-sexuals, but chucking them off buildings like the 7 Sisters does seem a little over the top. Perhaps a floodlight might be fairer?

Maybe, instead, a night with Linda Lusardi or/and Sam Fox might provide a cure and there'd be a bit less to clean up afterwards.

I'm not so sure about that

The amount of slap both of them need to keep up appearances these days might leave an awful mess mixed in with the jizz stains

[Post edited 26 Jul 2015 23:09]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

When will this stop? on 12:49 - Jul 27 with 2523 viewsNigeriamark

When will this stop? on 16:38 - Jul 26 by 1mark1

In the last century especially in Ireland Christians were killing Christians and I would not be surprised if that the majority of terrorism was committed by Christians.

Not too sure how accurate Wikipedia, but it doesn't include acts that many would consider to be terrorists acts carried out by Saudi Arabia, US, UK, Israel, and other sovereign countries.

some of this debate depends on the definition of terrorism. I would say the Nazi party, the Stalin regime, Mao, British empire builders, the Spanish/Portuguese and other European Empire builders all committed acts of terrorism in their time over many centuries.This includes persecuting their own, homosexuals other people sharing the same religion etc etc
At the moment it is ISIS who are at the forefront of terrorism and yes they are primarily muslim. They will eventually be defeated but another country or organisation will take there place, perhaps muslim perhaps not.
History will show that terrorism is nothing to do with a specific race religion or country - There will always be some despot who will use poverty, disenfranchisement ( is that a word) etc to gain support and start the process again. The world has never been at peace although the scale of trouble / atrocities may vary

It is what it is. and on that pessimistic note - Up the Dale !!!
When will this stop? on 13:47 - Jul 27 with 2473 viewsD_Alien

When will this stop? on 12:49 - Jul 27 by Nigeriamark

some of this debate depends on the definition of terrorism. I would say the Nazi party, the Stalin regime, Mao, British empire builders, the Spanish/Portuguese and other European Empire builders all committed acts of terrorism in their time over many centuries.This includes persecuting their own, homosexuals other people sharing the same religion etc etc
At the moment it is ISIS who are at the forefront of terrorism and yes they are primarily muslim. They will eventually be defeated but another country or organisation will take there place, perhaps muslim perhaps not.
History will show that terrorism is nothing to do with a specific race religion or country - There will always be some despot who will use poverty, disenfranchisement ( is that a word) etc to gain support and start the process again. The world has never been at peace although the scale of trouble / atrocities may vary

But this might set the cat among a few pigeons, or doves

http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-09-29/world-actually-becoming-more-peaceful-beli

Some facts for a change

When will this stop? on 15:15 - Jul 27 with 2419 views1mark1

When will this stop? on 12:49 - Jul 27 by Nigeriamark

Good post, totally agree.

When will this stop? on 15:35 - Jul 27 with 2402 views1mark1

When will this stop? on 13:47 - Jul 27 by D_Alien

But this might set the cat among a few pigeons, or doves

http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-09-29/world-actually-becoming-more-peaceful-beli

Some facts for a change

Many thanks for that. Like you say, nice to have some FACTS for a change. Politicians and the media/press have a lot to answer for, in the sense they make things seam much worse than they are , and the politicians use these headlines to come out with often un-necessary new laws.

When will this stop? on 15:50 - Jul 27 with 2379 viewsDaleiLama

When will this stop? on 15:35 - Jul 27 by 1mark1

Many thanks for that. Like you say, nice to have some FACTS for a change. Politicians and the media/press have a lot to answer for, in the sense they make things seam much worse than they are , and the politicians use these headlines to come out with often un-necessary new laws.

Whilst I think that article is probably very reflective of reality, it seems that there are a lot more "defenceless" deaths these days.

Of course a lot of us lived through the IRA terror campaign for many years, but when you tot up 9/11, 7/7, the shooting in the mall in Africa, the white supremacist in Scandinavia, the many, many school and other civilian shootings in the US, Lee Rigby, Tunisia etc etc (just off the top of my head) there really seems like a bigger proportion of slaughtering of innocents in the modern day versus combat between soldiers resulting in fatalities. Maybe it is just reporting in the media?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

When will this stop? on 16:09 - Jul 27 with 2176 views1mark1

When will this stop? on 15:50 - Jul 27 by DaleiLama

Whilst I think that article is probably very reflective of reality, it seems that there are a lot more "defenceless" deaths these days.

Of course a lot of us lived through the IRA terror campaign for many years, but when you tot up 9/11, 7/7, the shooting in the mall in Africa, the white supremacist in Scandinavia, the many, many school and other civilian shootings in the US, Lee Rigby, Tunisia etc etc (just off the top of my head) there really seems like a bigger proportion of slaughtering of innocents in the modern day versus combat between soldiers resulting in fatalities. Maybe it is just reporting in the media?

Many of the so called IRA deaths were also defenseless, including the Birmingham and Guilford bombings. And lets not forget that in WW2 the vast majority of deaths were in fact civilians, including in Coventry, Dresden, and Hiroshima, all of which I would personally describe as terrorist acts, in the name of war.

One amazing stat is that there have been more Americans murdered by homegrown gun toting people then at home than by foreigners. So basically their gun laws are more to blame for American deaths than any crazed religious fanatics in the middle east.

When will this stop? on 21:12 - Jul 27 with 2082 views49thseason

"And lets not forget that in WW2 the vast majority of deaths were in fact civilians, including in Coventry, Dresden, and Hiroshima, all of which I would personally describe as terrorist acts, in the name of war."

Interesting that you forgot to mention that the Germans bombed London and 15 other British cities (including Coventry) for the better part of 9 months between September 1940 and May 1941. Its very easy using those rose tinted spectacles, 70 years later, to describe the British and US retaliation as terrorism but I have no doubt that if you had lived through those German bombing raids or had relatives amongst the 40,000 killed, your attitude to the British and US 1000 bomber raids would be entirely different, as would your attitude to Bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki if members of your family had been tasked with invading the Japanese.
mainland.

There is a growing tendency amongst modern politicians and "Lefties" to portray Western allies during WW2 as being somehow overly violent in their reactions and to have rather more sympathy with murdering regimes than their forebears would have ever imagined possible.

Hard decisions were made by tough men for whom the remit was simple - kill or be killed. The opprobrium handed out to "Bomber" Harris" by Lefties in recent years is a disgrace and I hope that if you ever succeed in becoming a serious politician you would never have to make similar decisions.

Dresden was bombed on six occasions notably the 14th and 15th of February 1945 when the marshalling yards and city areas were targeted. In total just over 7000 tons of explosives and incendiaries were dropped on Dresden over the course of the whole war. A relatively minor target in the overall scheme, Dresden became a cause célèbre following the publication of David Irvine's (the holocaust denier) book "The Destruction of Dresden". Irvine claimed over 200,000 had been killed in Dresden whereas the official German figure was IRO 22,000.
When will this stop? on 21:19 - Jul 27 with 2070 viewsHK_Dale

When will this stop? on 21:12 - Jul 27 by 49thseason

"And lets not forget that in WW2 the vast majority of deaths were in fact civilians, including in Coventry, Dresden, and Hiroshima, all of which I would personally describe as terrorist acts, in the name of war."

Interesting that you forgot to mention that the Germans bombed London and 15 other British cities (including Coventry) for the better part of 9 months between September 1940 and May 1941. Its very easy using those rose tinted spectacles, 70 years later, to describe the British and US retaliation as terrorism but I have no doubt that if you had lived through those German bombing raids or had relatives amongst the 40,000 killed, your attitude to the British and US 1000 bomber raids would be entirely different, as would your attitude to Bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki if members of your family had been tasked with invading the Japanese.
mainland.

There is a growing tendency amongst modern politicians and "Lefties" to portray Western allies during WW2 as being somehow overly violent in their reactions and to have rather more sympathy with murdering regimes than their forebears would have ever imagined possible.

Hard decisions were made by tough men for whom the remit was simple - kill or be killed. The opprobrium handed out to "Bomber" Harris" by Lefties in recent years is a disgrace and I hope that if you ever succeed in becoming a serious politician you would never have to make similar decisions.

Dresden was bombed on six occasions notably the 14th and 15th of February 1945 when the marshalling yards and city areas were targeted. In total just over 7000 tons of explosives and incendiaries were dropped on Dresden over the course of the whole war. A relatively minor target in the overall scheme, Dresden became a cause célèbre following the publication of David Irvine's (the holocaust denier) book "The Destruction of Dresden". Irvine claimed over 200,000 had been killed in Dresden whereas the official German figure was IRO 22,000.

Agree with the sentiment but I don't think anyone could say Hiroshima and Nagasaki were necessary responses. Indiscriminately dropping an atom bomb can't ever be justified...
When will this stop? on 21:23 - Jul 27 with 2070 viewsisitme

Add to that the fact that the Japanese high command had ample opportunity to surrender prior to the dropping of the atomic bomb. It is estimated that not having to invade the Japanese mainland saved over a million American solider's lives.

Those on the left also ignore the atrocities committed by Stalin, Amin, Pot, Mao, Guevara, Mugabe etc in the name of Communisism, Marxism and Socialism.

Remember it is only the west, especially capitalist America who commit atrocities, or cause atrocities to be committed.
[Post edited 27 Jul 2015 21:25]
When will this stop? on 21:35 - Jul 27 with 2053 viewsSalwaDale

What a good thread this is, full of informed and articulate (but differing) opinion. Wow, if only the rest of the world could get together and discuss.

TBBT

When will this stop? on 21:56 - Jul 27 with 2029 views49thseason

When will this stop? on 21:19 - Jul 27 by HK_Dale

Agree with the sentiment but I don't think anyone could say Hiroshima and Nagasaki were necessary responses. Indiscriminately dropping an atom bomb can't ever be justified...

Hardly indescriminate, Hiroshima and Nagasaki were targeted and duely hit.The second bomb was dropped to prove that the first was not some sort of freak event and to make the Japanese realise that the game was up. Without the nuclear intervention, the war against the Japanese could heve continued for years with huge American losses. The idea that we should never use a nuclear bomb is more dangerous by far than the idea that we retain the ability to do so, if only because it encourages some nutcase regime to test our resolve. Better to let the world know we have the balls to defend ourselves with massive force than allow the idea to spread that we would never use it.
When will this stop? on 22:57 - Jul 27 with 1992 viewsD_Alien

When will this stop? on 21:56 - Jul 27 by 49thseason

Hardly indescriminate, Hiroshima and Nagasaki were targeted and duely hit.The second bomb was dropped to prove that the first was not some sort of freak event and to make the Japanese realise that the game was up. Without the nuclear intervention, the war against the Japanese could heve continued for years with huge American losses. The idea that we should never use a nuclear bomb is more dangerous by far than the idea that we retain the ability to do so, if only because it encourages some nutcase regime to test our resolve. Better to let the world know we have the balls to defend ourselves with massive force than allow the idea to spread that we would never use it.

Since 1945, the wars that've taken place haven't involved any of the world's major nations (in terms of GDP) being pitted against each other, for the longest time in history.

The reason? Nuclear deterrence. It simply rules out the possibility of a direct conflict due to the certainty that your own nationhood would be destroyed. Can there possibly be a better reason for retaining a nuclear deterrent?

In the place of such conflict, the major nations are forced to try to work through their differences by other means. So they have to talk to each other, and by that process we're gradually - in fits and starts - getting to understand how much we share in common. Of course, there's loads of well-publicised posturing; Putin, Bush, Ahmadinejad, Hussein. Even the pushing of local boundaries, such as Hussein into Kuwait, Putin into the Crimea; but compared with what's gone before, these are containable without the need to move towards full-scale conflicts.

Those on the left who believe in nuclear disarmament are, as in so many areas, off the mark in terms of the reality of human nature and the forces that shape the real world.

[Post edited 27 Jul 2015 23:06]

When will this stop? on 23:19 - Jul 27 with 1962 viewsroccydaleian

When will this stop? on 22:57 - Jul 27 by D_Alien

Since 1945, the wars that've taken place haven't involved any of the world's major nations (in terms of GDP) being pitted against each other, for the longest time in history.

The reason? Nuclear deterrence. It simply rules out the possibility of a direct conflict due to the certainty that your own nationhood would be destroyed. Can there possibly be a better reason for retaining a nuclear deterrent?

In the place of such conflict, the major nations are forced to try to work through their differences by other means. So they have to talk to each other, and by that process we're gradually - in fits and starts - getting to understand how much we share in common. Of course, there's loads of well-publicised posturing; Putin, Bush, Ahmadinejad, Hussein. Even the pushing of local boundaries, such as Hussein into Kuwait, Putin into the Crimea; but compared with what's gone before, these are containable without the need to move towards full-scale conflicts.

Those on the left who believe in nuclear disarmament are, as in so many areas, off the mark in terms of the reality of human nature and the forces that shape the real world.

[Post edited 27 Jul 2015 23:06]

Or off 1 Mark 1??
[Post edited 27 Jul 2015 23:25]
When will this stop? on 23:37 - Jul 27 with 1938 viewsD_Alien

When will this stop? on 23:19 - Jul 27 by roccydaleian

Or off 1 Mark 1??
[Post edited 27 Jul 2015 23:25]

Aye roccy, but 1mark1 supports the Dale so he's getting something right!

tbf I've got some respect for his sincerely-held views, and the way he goes about his business. For instance, I doubt he'd seek to skew an election to gain an advantage. I'd be interested to hear what he thinks of the situation around the Labour leadership election. Without going off at a completely different tangent, they're talking about stopping the election now because of the influx of new members (some of whom are Tories!) to vote for Corbyn. The new rules were brought in by Ed Miliband after the skewing of the selection process for MPs, particularly in Scotland - for all the good it did them there.

I, for one, sleep safer at night knowing they're too busy fighting each other to gain power and put our nuclear deterrence at risk.

When will this stop? on 00:43 - Jul 28 with 1903 views1mark1

When will this stop? on 21:12 - Jul 27 by 49thseason

mainland.

Crikey how paranoid you are in your thinking I am trying to blame the British more than the Germans for carrying out acts of mass murder of innocent civilians. I gave ONE example of many carried out by UK, Germany and US. Next time for your benefit I shall name every single bombing raid that took part in WW2. Yes I KNOW that the Nazis, carried out the vast majority of despicable acts , including bombing practically every British city and main town.

But hey, I am a rose tainted leftie according to rose tainted right wingers just because I give a few examples, to illustrate an argument I put forward. Not all pacifists, anti bomb activists etc are left wingers. There are people from all the main political parties that are members of CND for example.
[Post edited 28 Jul 2015 15:11]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024