Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care 01:45 - Nov 22 with 17826 viewsDaley_Lama

Hi all

There have been two accidents at this junction the last two nights, both at approx 22:00

I perceive the following as the reason for both accidents, said without seeing either but asking about the cause of both.

If you are heading from Littleborough and wish to turn right onto Whitworth Road, there is a new filter lane but no filter light.

When the traffic from John St and Whitworth Road have had their turn, it is St Mary's Gates turn.

Traffic heading from Asda to Littleborough get a green light first.
15 seconds later traffic heading from Littleborough to Asda get a green light.

There is no filter light for the right turn onto Whitworth Road. They simply see a green light.

The lights heading from Asda to Littleborough however are still fully on green.

With no filter light cars heading from Littleborough turning onto Whitworth Road naturally do green for go and if a car is coming the other way - accident.

I don't think this presents much of an issue at day time as the weight of traffic along St Mary's gate means cars don't simply proceed

At 22:00 the traffic flow is different. There's little initial queueing traffic and cars are simply travelling at 40 with a green light ploughing into a car turning across them with a perceived green light.

If nothing else, please advise those you know to proceed with care. It's a BIG accident waiting to happen, the one I saw tonight had police, ambulance and fire engines but from what I saw nothing terminal.

Poll: DF in or out

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 01:08 - Feb 13 with 985 viewsDaley_Lama

BOOM!

http://www.rochdaleonline.co.uk/news-features/2/news-headlines/101047/council-ut

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 08:51 - Feb 13 with 863 viewsflyerdale

There will be some nice extra long tailbacks now at peak times due to the time needed to compensate for the extra right turn filter. Thus putting it back to how it was before and a complete waste of tax payers money. Any more junctions people need molly coddling through as they are crap drivers and don't pay attention to the road situation in front of them????!!???
Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 09:51 - Feb 13 with 825 viewsDaley_Lama

That's one way of looking at it.

An alternate way of looking at it would be that there will be less occasions of fire service cutting out people from cars, ambulance staff treating injured on the roadside, police cordoning off part of the junction and theoretically drivers getting stuck behind a hearse in the worst scenario.

For info, the time period that drivers have currently to turn right is 14 seconds. I hope this extra time in a rotation cycle doesn't delay you to the point that you petition the council but it's a free world, good luck if you go down that path.

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 10:02 - Feb 13 with 812 viewsmikehunt

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 08:51 - Feb 13 by flyerdale

There will be some nice extra long tailbacks now at peak times due to the time needed to compensate for the extra right turn filter. Thus putting it back to how it was before and a complete waste of tax payers money. Any more junctions people need molly coddling through as they are crap drivers and don't pay attention to the road situation in front of them????!!???

Bit unfair that Flyer. The junction is a really bad one. Even when you know that you must wait to turn, it's the a*holes coming straight and speeding up trying to beat amber, often going through on red, that cause the problems (so you are part right in that respect).

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 10:05 - Feb 13 with 809 viewsflyerdale

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 09:51 - Feb 13 by Daley_Lama

That's one way of looking at it.

An alternate way of looking at it would be that there will be less occasions of fire service cutting out people from cars, ambulance staff treating injured on the roadside, police cordoning off part of the junction and theoretically drivers getting stuck behind a hearse in the worst scenario.

For info, the time period that drivers have currently to turn right is 14 seconds. I hope this extra time in a rotation cycle doesn't delay you to the point that you petition the council but it's a free world, good luck if you go down that path.

I would never petition the council about something so trivial I have better things to do with my time. My point is that some drivers need their hand holding when infact they should be using common sense and adapting to the road conditions and surroundings. Those that have jumped the lights and crashed should be done for driving without due care and attention. It is quite laughable that more money has now got to be spent due to those people not paying attention.
Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 10:12 - Feb 13 with 794 viewsDaley_Lama

I too have better things to do with my time.

It's getting changed, I'm happy, laters

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 10:14 - Feb 13 with 789 viewsmikehunt

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 10:05 - Feb 13 by flyerdale

I would never petition the council about something so trivial I have better things to do with my time. My point is that some drivers need their hand holding when infact they should be using common sense and adapting to the road conditions and surroundings. Those that have jumped the lights and crashed should be done for driving without due care and attention. It is quite laughable that more money has now got to be spent due to those people not paying attention.

The laughable bit is that that side of the lights is the only side without a filter. Who came up with that idea? That nobody wants to go to Whit'orth? It means that as you approach the junction you see stationary cars in the opposite filter lane which gives the impression that your green allows you to turn. Who ever thought of the scheme in the first place wants bollocking!

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 10:15 - Feb 13 with 785 viewsDorsetDale

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 10:05 - Feb 13 by flyerdale

Not having been up there in a while, I've not had the pleasure of using this junction since it changed so no experience of it. But, just a thought, when planners plan, shouldn't they take into consideration the possible consequences of less experienced drivers using the roads and make them less complicated, not accidents waiting to happen?

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

Login to get fewer ads

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 10:18 - Feb 13 with 781 viewsflyerdale

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 10:14 - Feb 13 by mikehunt

The laughable bit is that that side of the lights is the only side without a filter. Who came up with that idea? That nobody wants to go to Whit'orth? It means that as you approach the junction you see stationary cars in the opposite filter lane which gives the impression that your green allows you to turn. Who ever thought of the scheme in the first place wants bollocking!

So in theory every set of traffic lights should have a filter light? You would never be able to get anywhere the way traffic would snarl up causing chaos. I get your point but surely drivers need to take responsibility of their actions and only proceed when there is no oncoming traffic or a sizeable gap to proceed. Bring back the bloody roundabouts!!!!!!!
Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 10:30 - Feb 13 with 768 viewswindowsbug

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 10:18 - Feb 13 by flyerdale

So in theory every set of traffic lights should have a filter light? You would never be able to get anywhere the way traffic would snarl up causing chaos. I get your point but surely drivers need to take responsibility of their actions and only proceed when there is no oncoming traffic or a sizeable gap to proceed. Bring back the bloody roundabouts!!!!!!!

Seems to work at every other junctions with filters.
All they have to do is....stop the Littleborough bound traffic 10 seconds before the opposite side. Thus giving the opportunity to turn up Whitworth road.
Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 10:47 - Feb 13 with 720 views_dezzy

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 08:51 - Feb 13 by flyerdale

This is the problem with the world today. People in a rush to get anywhere, So what if you have to sit at the lights 5/10 mins more, least you get there safe.

KHBA

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 10:51 - Feb 13 with 714 viewsdingdangblue

Whitworth Road/St Mary's Gate Junction: Procede with care on 10:18 - Feb 13 by flyerdale

No but filters are needed there. Your comment about traffic not getting anywhere? Bizarrely - without a filter cars wanting to turn right onto Whitworth Road at peak times aren't getting anywhere! Or the alternative is take a massive risk and turn across oncoming traffic?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024