Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Superbowl 50 04:00 - Feb 7 with 5726 viewsNigeriamark

How many are going to stay up and watch this ( or in my case get up early). If a fan who do you support - My team is the Cleveland Browns

Most people in the UK love NFL or hate it - it is my favourite non- traditional British sport with the Super Bowl being right up there as a global event. I have followed it since Channel 4 started coverage in 1982 and have been lucky enough to see 5 NFL games. Knowing the basic rules ant intricacies of the game is essential ( otherwise it would be like an American watching cricket) The appeal v other American sports is fewer games + a one off final instead of best of 7

Regarding tonights game it is hard to see beyond the Panthers. However if the Broncos defence can keep it to within 7 points by half time then it will really be game on. I think they might sneak it then

Superbowl 50 on 10:33 - Feb 16 with 765 viewsDaleiLama

Superbowl 50 on 12:49 - Feb 10 by JumeirahDale

Found myself gravitating towards the sport over the last five years to the extent that I now can't get enough of it. Big fan of the Houston Texans (which I realise is a bit like being an MK Dons fan given the age of the franchise, but still). IMO, JJ Watt is one of the finest sportsmen on the planet today in both effort and achievement. Absolutely jaw-dropping. Shame we can't find a quarterback...

I understand why people are put off by the stop/start nature, but it really doesn't bother me. I love the tactical nature of it and am constantly impressed by the players' ability to remember hundreds of plays at the drop of a hat. And I actually enjoyed this years' SB more than last year's despite the lack of drama at the end (maybe because everyone's least favourite team won last year...)

Also a big fan of college ball, am moving to Boise, Idaho in a few months so looking forward to finally getting to see a game on the big blue turf.

Looks like JJ is also a fan of the Liffey Water too JD?

Those college crowds can be insane. I think Michigan holds 115,000. Lots of people support their old alma maters. Imagine 115k at the varsity rugby match?!? Crazy.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Superbowl 50 on 12:32 - Feb 16 with 733 viewsrobbowood

Superbowl 50 on 10:33 - Feb 16 by DaleiLama

Looks like JJ is also a fan of the Liffey Water too JD?

Those college crowds can be insane. I think Michigan holds 115,000. Lots of people support their old alma maters. Imagine 115k at the varsity rugby match?!? Crazy.

Notre Dame are one of the most followed teams in College football in the USA (though not the best team results wise in recent times)

The Notre Dame Stadium holds 'only' 80,795. They currently have a national TV contract with NBC from 2016 to 2025 - reportedly worth a mindboggling $15 million a year!!!!!

Mitchigan State holds 107,601. Seven other college stadiums hold over 100,000!!!! If a city doesn't have a NFL team they tend to support the college team instead. It's a massive business. The players get nothing but the top college coaches can get over 6 million dollars a season
Superbowl 50 on 12:39 - Feb 16 with 728 viewsrobbowood

Superbowl 50 on 12:32 - Feb 16 by robbowood

Notre Dame are one of the most followed teams in College football in the USA (though not the best team results wise in recent times)

The Notre Dame Stadium holds 'only' 80,795. They currently have a national TV contract with NBC from 2016 to 2025 - reportedly worth a mindboggling $15 million a year!!!!!

Mitchigan State holds 107,601. Seven other college stadiums hold over 100,000!!!! If a city doesn't have a NFL team they tend to support the college team instead. It's a massive business. The players get nothing but the top college coaches can get over 6 million dollars a season

Having checked further Mitchigan Stadium's "official capacity" is 107,601 but on September 7, 2013 the game between Michigan and Notre Dame attracted a crowd of 115,109, a record attendance for a college football game since 1927, and an NCAA single-game attendance record, overtaking the 114,804 record set two years previously for the same game

Every home at Mitchigan Stadium since November 8, 1975 has drawn a crowd in excess of 100,000, an active streak of more than 200 contests

It has also hosted hockey games including the 2014 NHL Winter Classic, a regular season NHL game between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Detroit Red Wings with an official attendance of 105,491, a record for a hockey game

The 2014 International Champions Cup match between Real Madrid and Manchester United had an attendance of 109,318, a record crowd for a soccer match in the United States
Superbowl 50 on 14:44 - Feb 16 with 697 viewsDaleiLama

Superbowl 50 on 12:39 - Feb 16 by robbowood

Having checked further Mitchigan Stadium's "official capacity" is 107,601 but on September 7, 2013 the game between Michigan and Notre Dame attracted a crowd of 115,109, a record attendance for a college football game since 1927, and an NCAA single-game attendance record, overtaking the 114,804 record set two years previously for the same game

Every home at Mitchigan Stadium since November 8, 1975 has drawn a crowd in excess of 100,000, an active streak of more than 200 contests

It has also hosted hockey games including the 2014 NHL Winter Classic, a regular season NHL game between the Toronto Maple Leafs and the Detroit Red Wings with an official attendance of 105,491, a record for a hockey game

The 2014 International Champions Cup match between Real Madrid and Manchester United had an attendance of 109,318, a record crowd for a soccer match in the United States

I knew I had the 115k in the memory banks for some reason. Those games are loud too. Would love to experience one of those big rivalry match-ups. I've only been to one college game - Colorado Buffalos when I was up there to see a Denver game and that was a great atmosphere even though the crowd was "small" by college standards.

It's also crazy, with all that money sloshing round from tv, sponsorship and attendances, that it's an amateur game. If athletes are caught being "recompensed" in any way (cash or gifts), they are ineligible to play and can lose out on big contracts in the pros. That makes colleges extremely cash rich and allows them to give out plenty of athletic scholarships. I won't comment on the quality of some of the graduates churned out, but ............

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024