Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England v Iceland tonight 11:28 - Jun 20 with 22921 viewsaleanddale

Roy is making changes tonight.

Is that a good thing? I think so.

Vital we match or better the Wales result. It would be great to go into the last 16 top of the group and a game against a 3rd place finisher for a knock out game for a QF place in the comp.

QF a minimum aim now - then 3 games from euro glory!

This is England though.... Sure to be some concern at some point tonight!!
[Post edited 27 Jun 2016 5:59]
England v Iceland tonight on 22:25 - Jun 27 with 2243 views1mark1

England v Iceland tonight on 22:11 - Jun 27 by olympicdale

What a game, absolute full credit has to go to Iceland. They didn't come to defend, that is how they are set up, I was so impressed with how they stuck to their game plan, their defensive lines were amazing, no one going towards the ball, everyone knew their jobs. England thought they were already through, came in to the game already underestimating little ol' Iceland, a country with the population of Leicester have gone and done a Leicester, fantastic for them.

A great example of how to play to your strengths as a team. How proud must the people of Iceland be of their football team, complete opposite of the way the people of England probably feel towards their football team.

Saying all that about Iceland, and how they played, England should have had enough top class players to beat them.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

England v Iceland tonight on 22:34 - Jun 27 with 2204 viewsroccydaleian

Lol....
England v Iceland tonight on 22:36 - Jun 27 with 2190 viewsYorkshire_Dale

England v Iceland tonight on 19:18 - Jun 27 by roccydaleian

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13509082_1043322219082436_44890160

Some 'Boro boys there tonight.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2016 19:20]

Feel sorry for em!
England v Iceland tonight on 22:40 - Jun 27 with 2178 viewsolympicdale

England v Iceland tonight on 22:25 - Jun 27 by 1mark1

A great example of how to play to your strengths as a team. How proud must the people of Iceland be of their football team, complete opposite of the way the people of England probably feel towards their football team.

Saying all that about Iceland, and how they played, England should have had enough top class players to beat them.

It was a masterclass display of how to play without the ball, not once did they look rushed or panicked, their game plan worked to perfection.

England, man for man should have won yes, a lot of it will be a case of overconfidence, and their "key players" have not showed up, there is a distinct lack of leadership in that team.

Life is a game of fate.

England v Iceland tonight on 22:41 - Jun 27 with 2168 viewsYorkshire_Dale

England v Iceland tonight on 21:55 - Jun 27 by mingthemerciless

That's been coming all tournament. The guys an impostor, he's robbed a living out of football for most of his career.

Who?.........all 20 odd of em including Woy,Neville and Ginger Lewington's dad?
England v Iceland tonight on 23:09 - Jun 27 with 2065 viewsDiddyDave

The more things change (different players,coaches,eras),the more they stay the same (no goals,no guts,no pride,no ideas). It was another classic banana skin and England,as usual,stepped right in the middle of it. Bye bye Roy and the rest of the coaching staff,wonder who the next mugs will be? Who cares? Roll on the beginning of August when the bread and butter stuff starts again.
England v Iceland tonight on 23:09 - Jun 27 with 2065 viewsDaleiLama

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

England v Iceland tonight on 23:16 - Jun 27 with 2041 viewsmingthemerciless

England v Iceland tonight on 22:41 - Jun 27 by Yorkshire_Dale

Who?.........all 20 odd of em including Woy,Neville and Ginger Lewington's dad?

Highest paid manager at the competition apparently ! Well not anymore.

As far as Joe Hart's concerned I blame the modern vogue for goalkeepers not wearing a cap. Ted Burgin would have just thrown his cap on that weak shot.
[Post edited 27 Jun 2016 23:45]
Login to get fewer ads

England v Iceland tonight on 07:01 - Jun 28 with 1832 viewsTalkingSutty

England v Iceland tonight on 23:09 - Jun 27 by DiddyDave

The more things change (different players,coaches,eras),the more they stay the same (no goals,no guts,no pride,no ideas). It was another classic banana skin and England,as usual,stepped right in the middle of it. Bye bye Roy and the rest of the coaching staff,wonder who the next mugs will be? Who cares? Roll on the beginning of August when the bread and butter stuff starts again.

It's the arrogance of them all that me me sick. These so called ' Football People', who are above any sort of criticism from the man on the street because after all we don't know what we are talking about, we don't have the coaching badges.

Give it a few weeks and the result and more importantly the performance will be forgotten, once again we will be spoon fed a load of crap about how wonderful these players are . Don't dare to criticise though, we don't have the required qualifications to do that. It's not just the Players, the manager and multitude of Coaches are just as much to blame. Don't get me started on Southgate neither, he's got the personality of a wet lettuce, can you imagine him leading you into battle? He's safe though so will probably get the job.

We spent Millions on St Georges Park at Burton and have gone backwards, producing a breed of coaches who think they can re-invent the wheel, instead they cause confusion and make a very simple game a difficult one. I saw it at Rochdale last season, constantly passing the ball across our defence and inviting the opposition to pen us into our own half,which they did. At that point the defender is forced into a hurried clearance to nobody and the opposition are then well placed to put us under pressure again. It was mind numbing to watch.

It happened during the first half of the season and then eventually we simplified our game and stopped putting ourselves under pressure. The fans could see the problem, it was obvious, but the Coaches seemed to think it was the correct approach. Bradford Away and onwards we played a very simple game and the players produced, they didn't seem to be bogged down with tactics. Play your football in the oppositions half not around your own penalty area,( Port Vale away anybody ). Last night, the England players didn't seem to have a clue what they were supposed to be doing, I reckon a lot of that will have been down to over coaching and baffling them with science.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2016 7:12]
England v Iceland tonight on 07:17 - Jun 28 with 1813 viewsDaleiLama

England v Iceland tonight on 07:01 - Jun 28 by TalkingSutty

It's the arrogance of them all that me me sick. These so called ' Football People', who are above any sort of criticism from the man on the street because after all we don't know what we are talking about, we don't have the coaching badges.

Give it a few weeks and the result and more importantly the performance will be forgotten, once again we will be spoon fed a load of crap about how wonderful these players are . Don't dare to criticise though, we don't have the required qualifications to do that. It's not just the Players, the manager and multitude of Coaches are just as much to blame. Don't get me started on Southgate neither, he's got the personality of a wet lettuce, can you imagine him leading you into battle? He's safe though so will probably get the job.

We spent Millions on St Georges Park at Burton and have gone backwards, producing a breed of coaches who think they can re-invent the wheel, instead they cause confusion and make a very simple game a difficult one. I saw it at Rochdale last season, constantly passing the ball across our defence and inviting the opposition to pen us into our own half,which they did. At that point the defender is forced into a hurried clearance to nobody and the opposition are then well placed to put us under pressure again. It was mind numbing to watch.

It happened during the first half of the season and then eventually we simplified our game and stopped putting ourselves under pressure. The fans could see the problem, it was obvious, but the Coaches seemed to think it was the correct approach. Bradford Away and onwards we played a very simple game and the players produced, they didn't seem to be bogged down with tactics. Play your football in the oppositions half not around your own penalty area,( Port Vale away anybody ). Last night, the England players didn't seem to have a clue what they were supposed to be doing, I reckon a lot of that will have been down to over coaching and baffling them with science.

Out-scored, out-defended, out-coached, out-classed, out-clapped and now OUT.
It will be a long time before I waste another 90+ mins watching England.
#underachievers
[Post edited 28 Jun 2016 7:18]

England v Iceland tonight on 07:26 - Jun 28 with 1773 viewsTalkingSutty

England v Iceland tonight on 07:17 - Jun 28 by DaleiLama

Out-scored, out-defended, out-coached, out-classed, out-clapped and now OUT.
It will be a long time before I waste another 90+ mins watching England.
#underachievers
[Post edited 28 Jun 2016 7:18]

Maybe the players aren't good enough? At times they look like world beaters when competing in the Premiership but is that because they are surrounded by more talented foreign players who can provide them with the opportunities to shine. Joe Harts got no excuse, like most keepers he can pull off stunning saves but the best ones are judged on how many elementary errors they make and Hart makes plenty, more than Josh Lillis for example.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2016 7:28]
England v Iceland tonight on 08:08 - Jun 28 with 1727 viewsKenBoon

There's not a single world class player in the England Squad. Lots of technical skill but no spark of genius. The moribund 'englishness' has been coached out and we're left with crabby passers who's skill comes from FIFA's thumbsticks. It's the same through all the ages. That backwards English style is gone. It's all six yards and lolipops. Thank god the likes of Italy never gave up on their natural qualities.

That was hilarious to watch. Only problem really was Glenn Hoddle. Oh and our new home kit looks very similar to theirs. Although their's looked better than the turkish knock-off standard quality we've got.
England v Iceland tonight on 09:17 - Jun 28 with 1650 viewsdingdangblue

England v Iceland tonight on 08:08 - Jun 28 by KenBoon

There's not a single world class player in the England Squad. Lots of technical skill but no spark of genius. The moribund 'englishness' has been coached out and we're left with crabby passers who's skill comes from FIFA's thumbsticks. It's the same through all the ages. That backwards English style is gone. It's all six yards and lolipops. Thank god the likes of Italy never gave up on their natural qualities.

That was hilarious to watch. Only problem really was Glenn Hoddle. Oh and our new home kit looks very similar to theirs. Although their's looked better than the turkish knock-off standard quality we've got.

They didn't even need to be world class last night, Iceland were band average and the England players just looked numb and lost and clueless. It was like they believed they were already in the Quarter Finals. Reminded me of our FC Utd defeat. No leaders on the pitch and no direction from the sidelines. Players playing out of position and a centre forward and goalkeeper who had nothing to offer other than talking a good game but performing woefully when it mattered. The most embarrassing night to be an England fan I can remember. At least in the past the likes of Romania, Sweden, Italy, Portugal have been decent opposition - but Iceland ? Sorry if that comes across all Charlie big spuds but England should not be losing to the likes of Iceland.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

England v Iceland tonight on 09:27 - Jun 28 with 1638 viewsD_Alien

England v Iceland tonight on 07:01 - Jun 28 by TalkingSutty

Tens of thousands of England fans have spent an absolute fortune over in France (I'm talking about the ones who went for the football) and sure, they'll have had a good time between the games, having a civilised drink and a laugh.

But apart from 45 minutes against Wales - after Hodgson was forced into changing the line-up - the reason they were there turned out to be simply to help the struggling French economy. The team, the manager, his acolytes, the administrators all earn more in a week than most of the fans would in several years.

(I'll excuse Marcus Rashford from the above.)

If any one of those fans had produced work of such shabby quality, they'd be out of a job, or at least disciplined. But of course, there'll be no repercussions, just more zeros mounting up in their bank accounts.

Something's got to give. We've seen with the Brexit vote what can happen when people feel as if they don't count - no, I'm not politicising this, just making the point that I hope those fans returning home, and the rest of us, will be of a mindset not to put up with the arrogance you refer to.

No doubt those of us who do criticise where it's due will be accused of disloyalty, told to shut up, that we're not "football people". We might even be accused of arrogance ourselves. It's laughable. Just as well we have a sense of humour!

[Post edited 28 Jun 2016 9:35]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

England v Slovakia tonight on 09:32 - Jun 28 with 1631 viewsJimmyRustler

England v Slovakia tonight on 12:04 - Jun 27 by mingthemerciless

Did you watch the game of listen to the radio ? To say they were poor is a bit odd. They looked like they could score every time they got the ball on my TV. Hazard probably turned in the best performance of the tournament. Just what we haven't got, a midfielder who can run with ball from deep and take people out of the game.

Yes I watched the game. They scored from a set piece and then only looked like scoring when Hungary really came forward and barely left any defenders back. I wouldn't back Belgium with anyone's money. Hungary were definitely the poorest team left in the tournament (after us of course). Italy look like the team to beat at the moment but I still have Germany down to win it.
England v Iceland tonight on 10:05 - Jun 28 with 1604 viewsrochdalefan9

We lost it before it even started............never underestimate the opposition.
When will England learn that simple lesson?
Iceland have been quite good so far especially considering their circumstances.
I was going for Spain who also got knocked out. Now I can go for France !
Why on earth did Hodgson take a not fully fit player? There were several players he could have taken instead and to play Wilshire in such an important game was a very big mistake.
England v Iceland tonight on 14:03 - Jun 28 with 1474 viewsolympicdale

England v Iceland tonight on 07:26 - Jun 28 by TalkingSutty

Maybe the players aren't good enough? At times they look like world beaters when competing in the Premiership but is that because they are surrounded by more talented foreign players who can provide them with the opportunities to shine. Joe Harts got no excuse, like most keepers he can pull off stunning saves but the best ones are judged on how many elementary errors they make and Hart makes plenty, more than Josh Lillis for example.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2016 7:28]

We're blinded by the premierleague, fed the same old bullshit about it being the best in the world etc. The English players in the league, which is probably less than 1/3rd of the players, are heavily reliant on the foreign players around them, the cold truth is, the English players are simply not good enough individually, not as good as the media portray them to be.

England went in to this tournament, with players who were on form, which has not been said often. Vardy,Kane,Alli,Dier had all had outstanding seasons, but underperformed, these players needed to be bedded in gradually, not thrust in to the England spotlight all at once. Too much is made of the English players, that fear takes over once it gets tough. There was a distinct lack of leadership on the pitch, to shake them out of the malaise they found themselves in, once Iceland had got control of the game.

Life is a game of fate.

England v Iceland tonight on 14:24 - Jun 28 with 1447 viewsTVOS1907

England v Iceland tonight on 14:03 - Jun 28 by olympicdale

We're blinded by the premierleague, fed the same old bullshit about it being the best in the world etc. The English players in the league, which is probably less than 1/3rd of the players, are heavily reliant on the foreign players around them, the cold truth is, the English players are simply not good enough individually, not as good as the media portray them to be.

England went in to this tournament, with players who were on form, which has not been said often. Vardy,Kane,Alli,Dier had all had outstanding seasons, but underperformed, these players needed to be bedded in gradually, not thrust in to the England spotlight all at once. Too much is made of the English players, that fear takes over once it gets tough. There was a distinct lack of leadership on the pitch, to shake them out of the malaise they found themselves in, once Iceland had got control of the game.

Who's blinded by the Premier League? It's a separate entity to the England national team.

In terms of excitement, unpredictability, atmosphere, commitment and quality, it probably is the best league in the world.

Of course, there are mundane matches and examples of poor quality play and players, but that's true of any league.

The problem comes when these teams compete in Europe or when the English players go to play for England.

For whatever reasons (and I'm not one of the 'football people' so I don't have the answers) our top teams struggle in Europe and our international players aren't good enough on the big stage.

I'm not sure the media do portray them as anything special. You will get sensationalist headlines in the tabloids, but that's just to sell papers.

Meanwhile, serious football writers and commentators can see the same problems the fans see before, during and after tournaments.

Still, it will all be okay when the Premier League U21 teams compete in the new version of the JPT!
[Post edited 28 Jun 2016 14:26]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

England v Iceland tonight on 17:52 - Jun 28 with 1341 views442Dale

England v Iceland tonight on 08:08 - Jun 28 by KenBoon

The quality of our shirts is very good. The collars are the same as Iceland's - FACT.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

England v Iceland tonight on 18:24 - Jun 28 with 1295 viewsKenBoon

England v Iceland tonight on 17:52 - Jun 28 by 442Dale

The quality of our shirts is very good. The collars are the same as Iceland's - FACT.

The collar is all wrong for any garment of clothing. Far too small. I keep getting images of that small-headed monster in beetlejuice. The nightmares will follow soon... that's the tiny collars and not flashbacks to England's euros.
England v Iceland tonight on 18:30 - Jun 28 with 1287 viewsKenBoon

On the subject of last nights epic. I mostly found it funny but that's because England finally broke my hopes in 2006. I do disagree with some pundits who say it's the worst England performance. Sweden in '92 was horrendous - made worse by that stupid Brolin spin celebration - and all of Euro 2000 was terrible. That was a brilliant tournament too, unlike this borefest going on in France.
England v Iceland tonight on 18:44 - Jun 28 with 1262 views442Dale

England v Iceland tonight on 18:24 - Jun 28 by KenBoon

The collar is all wrong for any garment of clothing. Far too small. I keep getting images of that small-headed monster in beetlejuice. The nightmares will follow soon... that's the tiny collars and not flashbacks to England's euros.

It looks really good when worn. Clever how there's a raised collar part to it, not seen anything like it before.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

England v Iceland tonight on 19:12 - Jun 28 with 1215 viewsmacro

England v Iceland tonight on 14:03 - Jun 28 by olympicdale

Players are good enough but mr hodgson and his coaching team aren't. Wales have inferior players and have got further through better coaching and organisation.
England v Iceland tonight on 21:07 - Jun 28 with 1154 viewsDaleiLama

England v Iceland tonight on 19:12 - Jun 28 by macro

Players are good enough but mr hodgson and his coaching team aren't. Wales have inferior players and have got further through better coaching and organisation.

Stuck in the craw a bit seeing the Taffs cheering England's demise. Bit like Murray supporting "anyone England play".

Allez les bleus in the QF (there are some lonely Dollies down in the valleys waiting for some company)

England v Iceland tonight on 21:24 - Jun 28 with 1123 viewsolympicdale

England v Iceland tonight on 14:24 - Jun 28 by TVOS1907

Who's blinded by the Premier League? It's a separate entity to the England national team.

In terms of excitement, unpredictability, atmosphere, commitment and quality, it probably is the best league in the world.

Of course, there are mundane matches and examples of poor quality play and players, but that's true of any league.

The problem comes when these teams compete in Europe or when the English players go to play for England.

For whatever reasons (and I'm not one of the 'football people' so I don't have the answers) our top teams struggle in Europe and our international players aren't good enough on the big stage.

I'm not sure the media do portray them as anything special. You will get sensationalist headlines in the tabloids, but that's just to sell papers.

Meanwhile, serious football writers and commentators can see the same problems the fans see before, during and after tournaments.

Still, it will all be okay when the Premier League U21 teams compete in the new version of the JPT!
[Post edited 28 Jun 2016 14:26]

The media, the ones putting ridiculous pressure on the England team every two years. We are blinded by the Premier league, its the reason we think we have a divine right to win every tournament, constantly looking down on other teams.

The PL is full of money, so that must mean the national team surely must be strong, because it can't be based on past tournament history that we think England will do anything at any World Cup or Euros.

The Premier League is not helping the national team develop, which is what it needs to do, as the German and Spanish leagues have done for years. I'm not saying the PL doesn't have exciting moments, of course it does, but with the amount of money spent on it, its hardly surprising.

There are though, too many overrated foreign players making the English players look good, the English players are reliant on these players week in week out. There are no world class players in the England squad or up and coming. The fear always makes the players freeze. We need to lower the expectations at tournaments and just let them play their game, they're trying too hard to succeed because they know they'll be lambasted by a media that feels England have a right to beat these teams, zero respect for any teams by the media.
[Post edited 28 Jun 2016 21:28]

Life is a game of fate.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024