Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Greetings from an unglory hunter 16:05 - Jun 2 with 9426 viewsCanavanOfLove

Hello everyone,

I'm Dan. I've been a fan of this forum for some time now and regularly have a look to see what's going on with your fine club.

To explain what I am doing here. Two things. I'm an Ipswich fan. I've also had a soft spot for Rochdale for many years going back to all sorts of football manager games where I would always choose Dale.

I work in the Football Industry but have to admit to hating so many of the modern elements. Normally I would get sympathy from most football fans for supporting a team that's done little for almost 16 straight seasons in the same division, but I fear many of you may consider that nothing based on your many years of life in the fourth tier.

The Premier League and to some extent the Championship have turned into money hungry monsters and for me League One is the highest of what I'd consider the 'pure' divisions, where family clubs still exist, where more players play for the love of the game than the wage packet, where proper grounds exist instead of lifeless bowls, you get the idea.

Like a huge number of Ipswich fans I am not renewing my season ticket next year. Without boring anyone who doesn't want to know too much, we have an invisible owner with no ambition who is happy to keep a manager the fans all want gone because he's the best man to keep us in the division on the criteria we have of not bothering to invest any more money other than to keep the club afloat because we've missed the boat.

I've had a season ticket for decades but next year I will be going to as many other games as possible, taking in a lot of new grounds and I've decided to adopt Dale and follow your club to as many of your away games in the Midlands / South East / South West and I'll head to Spotland for a few games as well.

Whether it was Football Manager, LMA, FIFA, I was always drawn to Rochdale. I don't mean this patronisingly but you were always one of the smaller clubs in the bottom division with no promotions to look back on and the smaller crowds, so I always liked to take you guys through the divisions. I've even won a Champions League with you! Even right now I am faithfully committed to a manager career on FIFA with Dale (Just missed out on the Championship playoffs on the last day of my second season)

It's interesting to see the grumbles on here, the things that bother you as fans and the issues, which in many ways differ to the ones at Ipswich. I genuinely feel right now fans like yourselves are the lucky ones. A decent manager, a club that's enjoying some of it's better times and still at a low enough level not to have been corrupted by mercenaries (not of the level ITFC have anyway) and with a lot of people around the club and community that deeply care about RAFC, something that's no longer true of Ipswich.

Spotland reminds me of everything football used to be. I know it may not seem like you have it that great when you look at the likes of Hudderfield, Bournemouth and what other clubs have gone onto achieve, but I seriously envy a lot of what you have.

Anyway, thought it would be good to say hello before I get engaged in the odd thread or two. I hope nobody takes offence to my adoption of your club. Many of us will be staying away from ITFC whilst Evans and McCarthy is there and whilst that might seem strange and that we aren't supporting our club, if you knew the ins and outs you'd know that season ticket holders of 50 years have not renewed this year.

So for the foreseeable future I'll be experiencing League One. Although in 12 months time I may well be doing so with Ipswich!

Would be great to chat with you, learn the best places to eat around Spotland, just how much you hate Bury and Oldham and to what degree, whether you feel Camps and NML will cut it in the Championship and which players you've been linked to. Ipswich had Reece Brown and he was abysmal, but not fully fit or played in his natural position so I'll reserve judgment. If anyone can get him playing it's Keith Hill (who would be the perfect replacement for Mick McCarthy if our owner knew anything about football).
[Post edited 2 Jun 2017 16:21]
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 16:37 - Jun 2 with 5272 views442Dale

Welcome! Hope you enjoy the coming season and posting on here

Two things:
1) Have you a spare £50 to put down for a season ticket deposit at Dale and/or any young relatives who'd like to be a member of Junior Dale where they get a season ticket and loads of bits for just a tenner?

2) what's your favourite ever Ipswich shirt?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 16:43 - Jun 2 with 5257 viewsCanavanOfLove

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 16:37 - Jun 2 by 442Dale

Welcome! Hope you enjoy the coming season and posting on here

Two things:
1) Have you a spare £50 to put down for a season ticket deposit at Dale and/or any young relatives who'd like to be a member of Junior Dale where they get a season ticket and loads of bits for just a tenner?

2) what's your favourite ever Ipswich shirt?

Hi 442,

I'll have a look into the season ticket issue, as I am hoping to attend enough games to make it worthwhile (going to aim for 6 at Spotland) but knowing me it'll end up being 8-10. It's the same amount I'd be spending on ITFC this month anyway if I'd renewed.

With regards to Ipswich shirts, the 1981-82 shirt is regarded as the benchmark for a combination of being simple, classic adidas and associated with the Ipswich team that won the UEFA Cup and was one of the best sides in the world around that time.

My personal favourite is the 1987-89 Adidas one. Absolute belter. Was it you who mentioned Romeo Zondervan the other day? He's a family friend and was captain who arranged for me to be one of the first ever away mascots we had.
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 16:50 - Jun 2 with 5232 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Hey caravan. I was just leaving the golf hotel as I read your post!!!! Marcus Evans (or arcus vans once the letters start falling off) is not bothered about Ipswich and so many fans have stopped going. Sad as a lovely family club. Think Rochdale with 5x more fans even now and that's Ipswich basically

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 16:51 - Jun 2 with 5225 views442Dale

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 16:43 - Jun 2 by CanavanOfLove

Hi 442,

I'll have a look into the season ticket issue, as I am hoping to attend enough games to make it worthwhile (going to aim for 6 at Spotland) but knowing me it'll end up being 8-10. It's the same amount I'd be spending on ITFC this month anyway if I'd renewed.

With regards to Ipswich shirts, the 1981-82 shirt is regarded as the benchmark for a combination of being simple, classic adidas and associated with the Ipswich team that won the UEFA Cup and was one of the best sides in the world around that time.

My personal favourite is the 1987-89 Adidas one. Absolute belter. Was it you who mentioned Romeo Zondervan the other day? He's a family friend and was captain who arranged for me to be one of the first ever away mascots we had.

It was. You need to find out if he has any of those shirts knocking about!

It might be worth enquiring via email at Dale about a Country Season Ticket. They were available for a short period but maybe if you explain your circumstances something could be sorted out, especially how it could ensure your attendance more often!

See previous info here:
https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2017/april/country-season-ticket-offer---limi

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 16:52 - Jun 2 with 5217 viewsD_Alien

Hi Dan, and I'm sure you're very welcome on here

(Especially if you fancy putting a deposit down on a ST with us )

Seriously though, might be worth your while depending on how many games you think you might able to get to? Appreciate it's a trek from your part of the world. Unfortunately, you won't be able to take advantage of our "Country" season tickets due to the current erm... ST promotion

I've always thought of Ipswich as a well-run family-type club, but I take it this is no longer the case? From here, it seemed to be the Roy Keane experiment that did for you, or do your troubles go back further than that?

Edit: just seen 442's post about country STs
[Post edited 2 Jun 2017 16:54]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 17:00 - Jun 2 with 5187 viewsCanavanOfLove

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 16:50 - Jun 2 by Thacks_Rabbits

Hey caravan. I was just leaving the golf hotel as I read your post!!!! Marcus Evans (or arcus vans once the letters start falling off) is not bothered about Ipswich and so many fans have stopped going. Sad as a lovely family club. Think Rochdale with 5x more fans even now and that's Ipswich basically

Small world and all that.

Yeah, as you probably know, Evans came in 10 years ago after being told by David Sheepshanks that we basically just needed a few million spent and we'd reach the promised land and Evans would get his pot of gold.

He gave Jim Magilton money, which actually made a play off chasing side worse, then brought in Roy Keane and gave him £12m (which is probably £50m in the Championship these days) which is he completely wasted on players like Lee Martin and Tamas Priskin. Even the players he bought that were good at that level like Grant Leadbitter were terrible as Keane played them out of position.

Paul Jewell was even worse and so Evans has now basically stopped giving the manager any money. He was putting in around £6m a year but it's now around £500k a year because we've sold players like Mings, Cresswell and Murphy and that £15m has just covered losses (about £5.5m each year).

We spent £100k last year to bring in a player from Macclesfield and one from Forest Green. We sold Murphy, who hit 40 goals in 2 seasons, and replaced him with Kieffer Moore (£10,000 and from the Conference).

McCarthy did amazingly well with no money to get us around the playoffs but the football was as bad as you can ever imagine. Most long balls in division, lowest pass completion, lowest shots. It's boring and we even set up with 8 defensive players at home to the teams at the bottom.

Fans are fed up but Evans won't get rid of Mick because he's the only manager who could probably keep us up with the investment we have, Mick won't walk as he's got a year left, Evans won't sack him as it would cost him £1m. We've gone from 13,000 season ticket holders to under 9,000. Last season was our lowest home gate for 20 years and that's with season tickets sold counted.

The atmosphere is toxic, fans are literally wanting us to go down so Evans sells up because as long as we stay in the division we are aiming to survive without investment under the delusion we could have one flukey season and go up. As long as we are in the Championship Evans won't leave as he's only ever a miracle season away from that £170m.

It's utterly depressing and of course after 16 years in this division, almost every other club except Burton and maybe Millwall, has a bigger budget from owners like Derby or clubs that have parachute payments. We are going into League One sooner or later and will be the next Blackburn or Blackpool.
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 17:02 - Jun 2 with 5178 viewsCanavanOfLove

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 16:51 - Jun 2 by 442Dale

It was. You need to find out if he has any of those shirts knocking about!

It might be worth enquiring via email at Dale about a Country Season Ticket. They were available for a short period but maybe if you explain your circumstances something could be sorted out, especially how it could ensure your attendance more often!

See previous info here:
https://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/2017/april/country-season-ticket-offer---limi

Thank you.

Most helpful. I'm going to do Northampton, Southend, Posh, MK Dons, Oxford, Charlton, Pompey and Gillingham away. All less than 3 hours. Was hoping Luton went up but hey ho.
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 17:04 - Jun 2 with 5168 views442Dale

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 17:02 - Jun 2 by CanavanOfLove

Thank you.

Most helpful. I'm going to do Northampton, Southend, Posh, MK Dons, Oxford, Charlton, Pompey and Gillingham away. All less than 3 hours. Was hoping Luton went up but hey ho.

No worries.

Add Wimbledon to your list too.

Login to get fewer ads

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 17:08 - Jun 2 with 5155 viewsCanavanOfLove

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 16:52 - Jun 2 by D_Alien

Hi Dan, and I'm sure you're very welcome on here

(Especially if you fancy putting a deposit down on a ST with us )

Seriously though, might be worth your while depending on how many games you think you might able to get to? Appreciate it's a trek from your part of the world. Unfortunately, you won't be able to take advantage of our "Country" season tickets due to the current erm... ST promotion

I've always thought of Ipswich as a well-run family-type club, but I take it this is no longer the case? From here, it seemed to be the Roy Keane experiment that did for you, or do your troubles go back further than that?

Edit: just seen 442's post about country STs
[Post edited 2 Jun 2017 16:54]

See the rant just below your comment.

It was a family club but that's gone now.

Everything the club does alienates fans. Lowest league position for 60 years and they put prices up! They scrapped Over 60's discount and made it Over 65's angering 1,000 fans and scrapped kids season tickets for £10 angering another few thousand parents!

They refused to back down when fans cancelled (down from 13,000 to 9,000 in one go!). The owner is wanted in Brazil and has an arrest warrant issued over allegations of illegal distribution of tickets for the Rio Olympics. We all know what Evans looks like but only because he was accidentally screen by Sky at a Golf Charity Match. Otherwise he'd still be faceless to this day.

The MD is his mouthpiece, doesn't know football and recently stated we can't compete financially with the top 6 in League One (which at the time included Scunthorpe and Fleetwood).

Everything there is a total joke. If you could imagine a Norwich fan buying the club and then trolling us all, it's basically that.

Oh and Mick McCarthy (who 83% of 2,000 fans want gone) recently called us f**kers!

Charming.
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 17:08 - Jun 2 with 5149 viewsCanavanOfLove

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 17:04 - Jun 2 by 442Dale

No worries.

Add Wimbledon to your list too.

It's on there!

I missed it out when listing them a moment ago.
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 17:23 - Jun 2 with 5095 viewsantmarina

Hi,

Not as good as Thacks but currently sat at home in Kesgrave watching the rain fall down...

I hear all about the problems at ITFC as my wife and father in law are both fans and I am currently in a battle to ensure my children are Dale fans rather than follow ITFC!

It will be nice to know another dale fan will be travelling from "down south" to games.
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 17:31 - Jun 2 with 5067 viewsColDale

We have a special Exiles section of the Trust, in which we host an Exile Day each year and for the first time, we are now using our newsletters to encourage exiled supporters to travel together to games
http://www.daletrust.co.uk/exiles-2/
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 18:16 - Jun 2 with 4964 viewsShun

Greetings Dan! Thanks for posting.

It's funny how Football Manager can breed affection for certain clubs. That game is the reason I have a soft spot for Wolves, Palermo, and Udinese.
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 18:36 - Jun 2 with 4923 viewsDaleiLama

Top handle Dan! You'll have to be shortened to CoL as Col has already gone!

Great you picked a small local club to follow this season

If we perform like we did last season you should be well entertained and have plenty to keep you interested!

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 19:39 - Jun 2 with 4814 viewsroccydaleian

Can see Dan and DySporting hitting it off he likes Ipswich fans..
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 19:41 - Jun 2 with 4808 viewsBartRowou

I know what you mean CofL. The younger fans, who only know the greedy era of the premier league, will find it hard to believe that teams like Ipswich were right up there challenging in the late 70s and 80s. Anyone could get a team together and make a good go of being the best team in England. You had Viila, Southampton, Watford, West Ham, QPR as well as Liverpool, Everton etc all in the top three at times during that era. And then you'd get a club like Forest winning two European Cups in succession. Happy days.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 19:43 - Jun 2 with 4805 viewsArthurDaley

Don't know to much about Ipswich, are you old enough to remember the Cobbold ! Brothers, ( think I spelt their name right ) Who where at Ipswich in days long ago, also seem to remember you winning a European tittle with Arnold Murhen ex Man United,
you had a real battle in the final.

A large VAT Dave

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 19:50 - Jun 2 with 4782 viewsCanavanOfLove

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 17:23 - Jun 2 by antmarina

Hi,

Not as good as Thacks but currently sat at home in Kesgrave watching the rain fall down...

I hear all about the problems at ITFC as my wife and father in law are both fans and I am currently in a battle to ensure my children are Dale fans rather than follow ITFC!

It will be nice to know another dale fan will be travelling from "down south" to games.

Please send me a PM.

I'm in Kesgrave too. Right near Tesco. Unbelievable Jeff.

Would be very keen to share lifts if it appeals.
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 19:53 - Jun 2 with 4769 viewsCanavanOfLove

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 19:43 - Jun 2 by ArthurDaley

Don't know to much about Ipswich, are you old enough to remember the Cobbold ! Brothers, ( think I spelt their name right ) Who where at Ipswich in days long ago, also seem to remember you winning a European tittle with Arnold Murhen ex Man United,

I started going in the Cobbold era. Don't quite recall the glory days. Just the dross that followed!
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 20:04 - Jun 2 with 4741 viewsBigKindo

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 19:43 - Jun 2 by ArthurDaley

The Cobbolds were a family of brewers. Arnold Murhen went from Ipswich to Man U.
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 20:12 - Jun 2 with 4725 viewsCanavanOfLove

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 20:04 - Jun 2 by BigKindo

The Cobbolds were a family of brewers. Arnold Murhen went from Ipswich to Man U.

Correct.

We built a new stand in 1982 and it led to the team dismantling. Brazil, Muhren, Wark, they all went :(
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 21:09 - Jun 2 with 4629 viewschalkyncfc

Hello caravan,welcome to the Dale forum,do you know Tractor boy from another forum?,
They are generally a good natured lot on here but they sometimes go into a strop when certain subjects get brought up,can I ask you a couple of questions to gauge on how well you will fit in on here

1. What's is your views on Notts County's takeover by Munto a few years back?

2. Do you know what FOC means?
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 21:14 - Jun 2 with 4610 viewsfitzochris

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 21:09 - Jun 2 by chalkyncfc

Hello caravan,welcome to the Dale forum,do you know Tractor boy from another forum?,
They are generally a good natured lot on here but they sometimes go into a strop when certain subjects get brought up,can I ask you a couple of questions to gauge on how well you will fit in on here

I'll answer question 2.

Fook off, Chalky.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 21:17 - Jun 2 with 4598 viewsCanavanOfLove

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 21:09 - Jun 2 by chalkyncfc

I'm never a fan of clubs that suddenly spend wild sums from nowhere, including when Ipswich did. The Munto situation was bizarre. Sven, Campbell, Schmeichel. Can't say I have a major opinion but I just hate basket case clubs when owners destabilise a club for a few months of fun.

I'm guessing FOC is F Off Chalky which I saw on a thread a few days ago but will admit I've no idea where it started having only visited infrequently until recently.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2017 21:28]
Greetings from an unglory hunter on 21:21 - Jun 2 with 4574 viewschalkyncfc

Greetings from an unglory hunter on 21:17 - Jun 2 by CanavanOfLove

I'm never a fan of clubs that suddenly spend wild sums from nowhere, including when Ipswich did. The Munto situation was bizarre. Sven, Campbell, Schmeichel. Can't say I have a major opinion but I just hate basket case clubs when owners destabilise a club for a few months of fun.

I'm guessing FOC is F Off Chalky which I saw on a thread a few days ago but will admit I've no idea where it started having only visited infrequently until recently.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2017 21:28]

You will fit in very well here caravan
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024