Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR 20:43 - Feb 28 with 12306 viewsdownunder

Looks like it has worked to our benefit...but what a total b@lls up it is. No idea what is being reviewed, players learn to play with how the ref id "playing the game", but then some random has a different view.
VAR on 20:50 - Feb 28 with 7449 viewsNigeriamark

3 bad decisions, 2 in our favour 1 against so perhaps we should be 2-1 behind. However I'll take it !!!
VAR on 20:59 - Feb 28 with 7407 viewsdalenumber2

VAR on 20:50 - Feb 28 by Nigeriamark

3 bad decisions, 2 in our favour 1 against so perhaps we should be 2-1 behind. However I'll take it !!!

Well we are now 😢
VAR on 21:13 - Feb 28 with 7366 viewsrichfoad32

No such thing as an orange ball any more either?
VAR on 21:27 - Feb 28 with 7324 viewsBobbyjoe

Disallowed goal absolutely ludicrous. Penalty correctly given by the letter of the law, but no referee has ever given one in those circumstances. If VAR is the future of the game, I'm glad I'll be dead soon!
VAR on 22:39 - Feb 28 with 7095 viewsCreepy

VAR on 21:27 - Feb 28 by Bobbyjoe

Disallowed goal absolutely ludicrous. Penalty correctly given by the letter of the law, but no referee has ever given one in those circumstances. If VAR is the future of the game, I'm glad I'll be dead soon!

Absolutely. I had it 2 1 to spurs at half time. Snow ruined the second half for me. They would have beaten us but at least I'd have been able to see the ball!! Having said that, i thought the pitch was bloody awful in the first half. There wasnt any zip to the surface at all.
VAR on 22:47 - Feb 28 with 7053 viewsboromat

VAR is going to spoil the game from a live match perspective. Stood there freezing cold not having a clue what's going on. I thought it was only supposed to be for clear and obvious decisions!

I'm also in favour of an Orange ball. Yellow on white is next to useless.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

VAR on 22:53 - Feb 28 with 7019 viewsBobbyjoe

VAR on 22:39 - Feb 28 by Creepy

Absolutely. I had it 2 1 to spurs at half time. Snow ruined the second half for me. They would have beaten us but at least I'd have been able to see the ball!! Having said that, i thought the pitch was bloody awful in the first half. There wasnt any zip to the surface at all.

VAR completely ruined the game for me. Without it, Tottenham go 2-nil up after 15 minutes with no complaints from anyone. OK, the game's over at that point from our point of view, but it made the equaliser seem hollow, as if we'd cheated, through no fault of our own whatsoever. Still, at least those in the ground will have experienced the full joy of it! VAR should be there to overturn blatant miscarriages of justice, not make borderline judgement calls every two minutes.
VAR on 22:58 - Feb 28 with 6980 views442Dale

VAR on 22:53 - Feb 28 by Bobbyjoe

VAR completely ruined the game for me. Without it, Tottenham go 2-nil up after 15 minutes with no complaints from anyone. OK, the game's over at that point from our point of view, but it made the equaliser seem hollow, as if we'd cheated, through no fault of our own whatsoever. Still, at least those in the ground will have experienced the full joy of it! VAR should be there to overturn blatant miscarriages of justice, not make borderline judgement calls every two minutes.

Indeed. While it may well be a joke, that goal getting disallowed was like scoring one ourselves, so, in the nicest possible way, ruining it for you doesn’t matter!

And we might not have been two down as if it had stood, Chaos Theory applies.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Login to get fewer ads

VAR on 23:22 - Feb 28 with 6889 viewsDaleiLama

Even the Spurs players were complaining at the way it was used. At least we won't see it in any of our games again this season.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

VAR on 00:43 - Mar 1 with 6754 viewsDiddyDave

I felt sorry for the referee,stood around like a prize prick in the freezing cold while somebody on the sideline decides on things him and the two linos should be doing. Keep it going fellas,you`ll kill the game for sure.
VAR on 05:52 - Mar 1 with 6582 viewsdavidab2202

Interesting thought had VAR been available at COA in 1st game would Dele penalty decision have been changed?
VAR on 06:32 - Mar 1 with 6562 viewskiwidale

VAR on 05:52 - Mar 1 by davidab2202

Interesting thought had VAR been available at COA in 1st game would Dele penalty decision have been changed?

yes it would

This is not the time for bickering.

VAR on 06:46 - Mar 1 with 6541 viewsBartRowou

VAR on 06:32 - Mar 1 by kiwidale

yes it would

I disagree and this is why VAR is currently not fit for purpose.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

VAR on 10:04 - Mar 1 with 6364 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

The worst part about it all is that the paying customer is left totally in the dark. In Rugby Union the ref and VAR official both have microphones and you can hear what is being discussed via TV and in the stadium replays are shown on screen to allow the fans to see what is happening. Football bodies are too busy with its head up its own arse to even considering doing it the same way, as they always think they know what is best. Last night made the poor ref look like a complete numpty and the rest like fumbling idiots. Still with all the added time, we matched Spurs for 150 minutes!
VAR on 10:42 - Mar 1 with 6287 viewsMorden

Err...

I like it and I was there

I didn't mind the delays. We're all there hanging on the decision, wondering what it was going to be. Then 'Yeahhh!' or 'Noooooooo!' or 'Whaaaat?'

Every time something happened we looked towards the ref to see if his finger was going to his ear. Everyone chanting 'V.A.R, V.A.R, V.A.R...'

Good fun, good night out
VAR on 11:17 - Mar 1 with 6214 viewsKenBoon

I think the biggest problem is it became quite clear that the actual officials wasn't refereeing the game. It was being wholly refereed by some people in front of a telly somewhere else in London. If video help is to be given to referees then the official needs to trigger it (unless someone punches someone else or something massive like that). When the referee correctly disallowed their penalty I cannot for the life of me why he then went to VAR. He was looking right at it.
VAR on 12:34 - Mar 1 with 6130 viewsdingdangblue

VAR on 11:17 - Mar 1 by KenBoon

I think the biggest problem is it became quite clear that the actual officials wasn't refereeing the game. It was being wholly refereed by some people in front of a telly somewhere else in London. If video help is to be given to referees then the official needs to trigger it (unless someone punches someone else or something massive like that). When the referee correctly disallowed their penalty I cannot for the life of me why he then went to VAR. He was looking right at it.

I'm sure Jim and Lillis were complaining about McGahey being pulled to the ground by Llorente. This would have made the ref ask the question about any reason to disallow the goal. Not sure about the penalty - maybe he was just getting a 2nd opinion on the decision?

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

VAR on 13:13 - Mar 1 with 6083 viewsDaley_Lama

The comical thing before the penalty was the Tottenham player getting frustrated at not being able to take the free-kick.

They were happy for it to be a free-kick, so were Dale.

I thought Done messed up and put his arm around their lad outside of the box and he fell into the box and the time, not seen it back yet but was very surprised to see a penalty given.

If they are going to employ this then they need to do what is done in other sports.

1. On field umpire/referee requests a review
2. On field umpire/referee states what the reviewer should be looking for

It should be an assistance to the ref, not an over-riding ruling form above for every decision.

"Clear and obvious mistake"? My Ar..

Poll: DF in or out

VAR on 13:26 - Mar 1 with 6064 viewsBobbyjoe

VAR on 13:13 - Mar 1 by Daley_Lama

The comical thing before the penalty was the Tottenham player getting frustrated at not being able to take the free-kick.

I thought Done messed up and put his arm around their lad outside of the box and he fell into the box and the time, not seen it back yet but was very surprised to see a penalty given.

If they are going to employ this then they need to do what is done in other sports.

It should be an assistance to the ref, not an over-riding ruling form above for every decision.

The penalty decision was correct, by the letter of the law, and therein lies the rub. The letter of the law has never previously been applied in football. There is, technically, a breach of the letter of the law, virtually every second during a football match. Who will decide which laws are important, and which relatively trivial, because it's impossible to apply them all.
VAR on 15:27 - Mar 1 with 5947 viewsJumeirahDale

Anyone who watches NFL will have felt a warm familiarity watching yesterday's match. The differences are however:

(a) In the NFL, the teams appreciate the couple of minutes it takes to have a decision done. They are constantly rotating players anyway, it allows them to effectively get a free "time out" to discuss the next play and series, and the players are used to standing around anyway due to the large squad sizes and the stop-start nature of the game even without video review. The problem is, this doesn't apply to football. Players just want to keep moving, and doing so is part of avoiding injury, cramps, fatigue etc. Nobody is used to "standing around".

(b) the fans, players and coaches in the NFL arena have a "big-screen view" of all the slow motion replays, so can generally make their own decisions pretty quickly on the next play if the outcome of the call is obvious (e.g. "clearly a an interception so let's get the defense on the field, warmed up and ready to go").

(c) As someone else has alluded to, as a result of the system, NFL now HAS to be about the exact letter of the law (I think there are 7 officials on the field alone). Football has always had a bit of leeway on this because we know that every single decision won't be reviewed in slow motion. Now it will be, and if this continues there will have to be annual rule revisions for all the grey areas.

It is certainly going to be interesting. Wouldn't surprise me at all to see it canned though.
VAR on 15:35 - Mar 1 with 5934 viewsTVOS1907

VAR on 13:13 - Mar 1 by Daley_Lama

Me and my mate called penalty straight away. Done was still holding and dragging the Spur into the area. It was easier to see from an elevated position.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

VAR on 17:02 - Mar 1 with 5868 viewsJames1980

On the subject of ball colour, my mate who was at the game with me commented, if white balls are not allowed in the snow, shouldn't white kits also be proscribed? I do think he has a point.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

VAR on 21:36 - Mar 1 with 5768 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Are we the first lower league Club to be inflicted with this rubbish?
VAR on 22:10 - Mar 1 with 5736 viewsdingdangblue

VAR on 21:36 - Mar 1 by Yorkshire_Dale

Are we the first lower league Club to be inflicted with this rubbish?

No.
Leicester v Fleetwood
Tottenham v Newport

Both FA Cup replays had it.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

VAR on 09:21 - Mar 2 with 5596 viewsDaley_Lama

VAR on 15:35 - Mar 1 by TVOS1907

Me and my mate called penalty straight away. Done was still holding and dragging the Spur into the area. It was easier to see from an elevated position.

Yep, saw the pulling continuing into the box, just poor understanding of the laws, which I now get.

Scenario 1: Defender fouls outside the box and player falls into the box - free-kick
Scenario 2: Defender fouls inside the box and player falls out of the box - penalty
Scenario 3: Defender commences foul outside the box and continues into the box - penalty as seen by Done incident
Scenario 4: Defender commences foul inside the box and continues to outside the box. I suspect this would be a penalty too.

That's where the greyness was in my mind, I thought when Done started fouling him outside the box, that determined it as a free-kick rather than penalty under Scenario 1.

In this situation however, the ref is playing advantage until the player is in the box, after which a penalty is given.

Poll: DF in or out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024