Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester 08:40 - Aug 27 with 13682 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

Match Preview: Dale vs Colchester 27th Aug 2021 08:35
There will be a party atmosphere at Spotland on Friday night as Rochdale AFC celebrate 100 years in the Football League with a home fixture vs Colchester. 0

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 22:39 - Aug 27 with 3122 viewsDaley_Lama

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 22:33 - Aug 27 by 1907

This 5 at the back at home does not work. 3 games and 3 poor results. How many times throughout that match were we desperate for an additional midfielder when there wasn’t a pass on & we had a pretty much pointless centre half that really wasn’t doing anything.

Teams are going to come and sit back all season unless we absolutely hit them from the start.

I feel so frustrated with Stockdale after that second half as the game was there to be won had he made some brave decisions. Unfortunately we’ve settled for a draw against a really poor Colchester side.

The standard of this division is awful and it’s there for the taking. We have the foundations of a good team but we’ve got to adapt & at least try to gamble to win.

40 or so legends on the pitch at half time.

1 dickhead not long after.

Oh, and O’Keefe was man of the match hands down.

Poll: DF in or out

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 22:43 - Aug 27 with 3083 views442Dale

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 22:33 - Aug 27 by 1907

This 5 at the back at home does not work. 3 games and 3 poor results. How many times throughout that match were we desperate for an additional midfielder when there wasn’t a pass on & we had a pretty much pointless centre half that really wasn’t doing anything.

Teams are going to come and sit back all season unless we absolutely hit them from the start.

I feel so frustrated with Stockdale after that second half as the game was there to be won had he made some brave decisions. Unfortunately we’ve settled for a draw against a really poor Colchester side.

The standard of this division is awful and it’s there for the taking. We have the foundations of a good team but we’ve got to adapt & at least try to gamble to win.

While agreeing we need to be more flexible with the formation, there’s no frustration as the fullbacks were pushing on and the CH adding to the attack. He’s learning what he has and in some ways it’s good to see the possible faults in systems and tactics as it’s actually interesting. The main issue around the 3-4-3 is that Newby and Odoh end up a bit too narrow. A 4-3-3 will see them wide with fullbacks assisting more, but totally understand why he’s playing the 3 central defenders right now: get clean sheets and a solid base. Which would have happened but for a silly OG.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 22:52 - Aug 27 with 2991 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 22:39 - Aug 27 by Daley_Lama

40 or so legends on the pitch at half time.

1 dickhead not long after.

Oh, and O’Keefe was man of the match hands down.

The dickhead was in the first half, just before they scored.

I doubt he was even a Dale fan and probably just did it for a bet.

Quite why we're attracting these idiots is another question.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 22:52 - Aug 27 with 2994 views442Dale

Proper interview. He’s like going back in time. In a good way.

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 23:06 - Aug 27 with 2879 viewsboromat

First half although looking the better team we just weren't at our best and we're missing some of the tempo from previous games. Odoh wasn't at it neither was Morley and O'Keefe wasn't used effectively in the first half.

Max's goal ruined the game for us as they were already in spoiling mode and it meant they were in the driving seat.

Second half we came out and gave it a go and I think we deserved the equaliser but nothing more. Offensively we were lacking but some of our defending in that second half was sublime.

Man of the match for me was probably Dooley with O'Connell shortly after. Not sure I'm too keen on Coleman....we'll see.

Great to see all the ex players at half time and all that the club put in was brilliant, yes not everything went smoothly but great to see the effort being put in.

Kit looked great. Special edition TVOS was excellent.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 23:42 - Aug 27 with 2694 viewsSandyman

Good to see so many supporters in Ratcliffes / Dale Bar before the game. All good money to the club.
Shocker of an own goal - very similar to the one Fleetwood conceded to us in a pre-season friendly a few weeks back.
A new manager, with not much time to put a TEAM together, yet we are miles more entertaining and positive than the dross BBM served up to us so often last year.
The ref was excellent and I hope we get her to officiate a game before the inevitable Andy Haines (aged 200) turns up to play the game by his own arcane rules.
Good to see so many supporters in Ratcliffes after the game. All good money to the club. Not something that can be done after every home game for obvious reasons but lots of people were in drinking. Unfortunately, Dave's disco was far far too loud for people to have post-match conversations, and potential drinkers went to the Cem or down town instead of putting money over the RAFC bar. Lesson to be learned.

100 years and we're not for sale.
Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 23:51 - Aug 27 with 2660 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 23:42 - Aug 27 by Sandyman

Good to see so many supporters in Ratcliffes / Dale Bar before the game. All good money to the club.
Shocker of an own goal - very similar to the one Fleetwood conceded to us in a pre-season friendly a few weeks back.
A new manager, with not much time to put a TEAM together, yet we are miles more entertaining and positive than the dross BBM served up to us so often last year.
The ref was excellent and I hope we get her to officiate a game before the inevitable Andy Haines (aged 200) turns up to play the game by his own arcane rules.
Good to see so many supporters in Ratcliffes after the game. All good money to the club. Not something that can be done after every home game for obvious reasons but lots of people were in drinking. Unfortunately, Dave's disco was far far too loud for people to have post-match conversations, and potential drinkers went to the Cem or down town instead of putting money over the RAFC bar. Lesson to be learned.

100 years and we're not for sale.

Haines will still be younger than you even then, Sandy

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 23:57 - Aug 27 with 2617 views_Windydale

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 22:52 - Aug 27 by TVOS1907

The dickhead was in the first half, just before they scored.

I doubt he was even a Dale fan and probably just did it for a bet.

Quite why we're attracting these idiots is another question.

Thought it was a good entertaining game. We had quite a lot of chances the ball went in their box numerous times.

Thought Colchester worked well as a unit and had some fit players. They were pretty solid defensively and stuck to their gameplan of defending in numbers. Pressuring us in possession in our half and attacking us on the break. Crap upfront though.

Morley had a pretty mixed game. He played some great balls out wide 2nd half, but his free-kicks were ineffective. His tackling though was great. Thought Max Taylor had a nightmare first half as despite the own goal a lot of passes went astray.

Dorsett put in some great crosses into the box. Although I thoughtt he did tire towards the end.

The thing is we are playing the right way but the three close games took their toll. I think towards the end we were tired and got a bit sloppy going forward to get that 2nd goal.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2021 0:48]
Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 00:23 - Aug 28 with 2479 viewsSandyman

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 23:51 - Aug 27 by TVOS1907

Haines will still be younger than you even then, Sandy

Marginally
Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 00:27 - Aug 28 with 2447 viewsmikehunt

I mentioned that if the corner we conceded in 90th minute doesn’t go then things are definitely taking a turn for the better. Not only did we defend it shortly after we stopped a shot which should have won a the match for them.
They pressed us really well but we were finding ways past them. I was very happy with the way we played (end product apart) and really feel good times are on the way.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 08:03 - Aug 28 with 2065 views442Dale

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 00:27 - Aug 28 by mikehunt

I mentioned that if the corner we conceded in 90th minute doesn’t go then things are definitely taking a turn for the better. Not only did we defend it shortly after we stopped a shot which should have won a the match for them.
They pressed us really well but we were finding ways past them. I was very happy with the way we played (end product apart) and really feel good times are on the way.

In some ways the season is planning out much as expected with a new team and manager and we are probably at the stage where we should be. That’s a good thing. Stockdale made a really good point about it being a good week of results and that if the Northampton and Colchester results had been swapped - draw away, win at home - it would have possibly been perceived differently when the return is just the same.

Another note, the two defeats we have suffered are to the only two sides who have won every league game so far.

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 08:22 - Aug 28 with 2015 viewsD_Alien

Keohane edged MoM for me, and not just due to his goal

When Aidy White's ready i'd like to see him playing but SAJ must be found a place, probably centre mid in a Lund-type role

Overall, we started well but were already tiring a bit when the o.g. knocked us flat. A draw was probably fair but as others have said, why COK took a dive when he was in such a great position i don't know, but i hope RS has words with him

We've established a baseline now and i'd like to think, with players returning, we can kick on

And Coleman doesn't look like an improvement on Lynch in terms of commanding the box but a good stop at the end

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 08:34 - Aug 28 with 1988 viewsDrigdale

Coleman Wikipedia page has him at 6ft 6ins. He doesn't look commanding for someone supposedly that tall. In fact he looked shorter than all our centre backs.
Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 09:01 - Aug 28 with 1904 viewsDalenet

Overall an entertaining game, but you can see the team are still trying to gel. There is no doubt in my mind they will get there. As others have said I wasn't convinced by Morley as MOM but to be fair he did more tackling in the first half than we have seen previously. But the set pieces in the second half should have been handled more effectively.

Nice to see the attendance climbing. Had a couple of lads sat in front of me who had never been before and were asking lots of questions about the players and the club. They gave up on refreshments due to the queue, but they seemed to enjoy the game. We need more new faces so hope they come back
Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 09:09 - Aug 28 with 1878 viewsNorthernDale

I thought the ref was good .

In terms of the teams performance, we dominated much of the game and the overall performance was positive, but we still lack that cutting edge up front. The own goal was a shocker, but Taylor is still largely inexperienced and will make mistakes.

Colchester are a big and strong team, but looked second best for much of the game. I would like to praise the 180 fans that made the long journey from Colchester for a Friday night game.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2021 9:15]
Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 10:08 - Aug 28 with 1721 viewsDalenet

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 09:09 - Aug 28 by NorthernDale

I thought the ref was good .

In terms of the teams performance, we dominated much of the game and the overall performance was positive, but we still lack that cutting edge up front. The own goal was a shocker, but Taylor is still largely inexperienced and will make mistakes.

Colchester are a big and strong team, but looked second best for much of the game. I would like to praise the 180 fans that made the long journey from Colchester for a Friday night game.
[Post edited 28 Aug 2021 9:15]

Traffic was horrendous yesterday. Took me 5 hours to get to Rochdale. No more Friday night games on a bank holiday weekend please Dale
Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 10:12 - Aug 28 with 1716 viewsmikehunt

The Sandy lot gave the Colchester fans some generous applause when attendances were announced. And I would like to mention the Sandy’s singers last night. Kept up the chanting all game and didn’t show any signs of the desperation of more recent matches despite the o.g. setback. Really did encourage the team.
These things are fickle I know but that was another encouraging sign that fans are pleased with what they are seeing on the pitch.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 10:26 - Aug 28 with 1669 views442Dale

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 10:08 - Aug 28 by Dalenet

Traffic was horrendous yesterday. Took me 5 hours to get to Rochdale. No more Friday night games on a bank holiday weekend please Dale

By 2121 the roads will have turned to molten lava due to global warming anyway. Plus we might be away on the August bank holiday weekend.

Roads still an issue for a trip to Carlisle, admittedly.

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 10:29 - Aug 28 with 1649 viewsEllDale

An entertaining game well refereed.
Colchester are a vastly experienced side.
I like the way in which RS described the first half as boring yet I thought it was similar to the Scunthorpe game in as much as we set off brightly and then faded after a couple of chances were scorned. If one of those early shots that fizzed over the bar had gone in….
O’Connell was imperious as ever and I thought that O’Keeffe and Newby really looked incisive in the second half until the latter went off.
Taylor’s passing was woeful in the firs5 half, he doesn’t look as comfortable on the right half side as he has done on the left.
Morley was good but oh, those free kicks at the end!
Makes you wonder if the team will be rotated on Tuesday.
Well done to the club for the outside bar and entertainment.
Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 10:39 - Aug 28 with 1607 viewseitoof

Thought Coleman could have done better for the o.g.
He never even moved his feet or dived. I'd give him 70% of the blame and Taylor 30%.
Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 10:43 - Aug 28 with 1602 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 10:29 - Aug 28 by EllDale

An entertaining game well refereed.
Colchester are a vastly experienced side.
I like the way in which RS described the first half as boring yet I thought it was similar to the Scunthorpe game in as much as we set off brightly and then faded after a couple of chances were scorned. If one of those early shots that fizzed over the bar had gone in….
O’Connell was imperious as ever and I thought that O’Keeffe and Newby really looked incisive in the second half until the latter went off.
Taylor’s passing was woeful in the firs5 half, he doesn’t look as comfortable on the right half side as he has done on the left.
Morley was good but oh, those free kicks at the end!
Makes you wonder if the team will be rotated on Tuesday.
Well done to the club for the outside bar and entertainment.

The team will definitely be rotated on Tuesday.

We've just played three games in six days and have some players (White and Broadbent, for example) only just back in the squad after covid.

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 10:45 - Aug 28 with 1589 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 10:08 - Aug 28 by Dalenet

What about 2121, when we'll be celebrating our 200 year anniversary?

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 11:25 - Aug 28 with 1457 viewspioneer

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 10:45 - Aug 28 by TVOS1907

What about 2121, when we'll be celebrating our 200 year anniversary?

It’s a Wednesday night so expect we will be playing a champions league game that night🙂
Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 12:35 - Aug 28 with 1307 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 11:25 - Aug 28 by pioneer

It’s a Wednesday night so expect we will be playing a champions league game that night🙂

Why didn't I think of that?

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 12:38 - Aug 28 with 1293 viewsjpresto

Match Thread: Dale vs Colchester on 10:39 - Aug 28 by eitoof

Thought Coleman could have done better for the o.g.
He never even moved his feet or dived. I'd give him 70% of the blame and Taylor 30%.

If he dived to stop the ball would he not be preventing a goal scoring opportunity from the wayward back pass and incur a red card?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024