Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gillingham (H) Match Thread 12:16 - Feb 17 with 27146 viewsHullDale

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 18:58 - Feb 18 with 3586 viewsNorthernDale

Today was a total embarrassment, it was like watching a non-league side against a football league, there was no motivation, no urgency, no structure and this was potentially the most important game of the season. The team looked to a great extent uninterested, and passed it around, like it was pre-season warm up game.

I am now resigned to our fate, I heard Bentley say we more shots on target, but we did not score once again, this not down to bad luck, it is down to the players being very poor or not being interested. Odoh seemed to have a 1 on 1 chance when it was 1-0 and did not have a shot, lost it and next minute they were 2 up. Diagouraga was extremely poor and at times, he was Bambi on ice, EEL was also poor and why he dropped Taylor for somebody who as been a liability for weeks. Again he brought Mellor, you may argue that he was only for minutes, but he is poor, we could analysis most of the team in the same way truth be told. However as I have already indicated, the lack of effort and the lack of motivation was the telling factor, not bad luck as Bentley seem to suggest. As some of the team given up the fight
Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 19:33 - Feb 18 with 3347 viewsNigelWatson

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 18:58 - Feb 18 by NorthernDale

Today was a total embarrassment, it was like watching a non-league side against a football league, there was no motivation, no urgency, no structure and this was potentially the most important game of the season. The team looked to a great extent uninterested, and passed it around, like it was pre-season warm up game.

I am now resigned to our fate, I heard Bentley say we more shots on target, but we did not score once again, this not down to bad luck, it is down to the players being very poor or not being interested. Odoh seemed to have a 1 on 1 chance when it was 1-0 and did not have a shot, lost it and next minute they were 2 up. Diagouraga was extremely poor and at times, he was Bambi on ice, EEL was also poor and why he dropped Taylor for somebody who as been a liability for weeks. Again he brought Mellor, you may argue that he was only for minutes, but he is poor, we could analysis most of the team in the same way truth be told. However as I have already indicated, the lack of effort and the lack of motivation was the telling factor, not bad luck as Bentley seem to suggest. As some of the team given up the fight

Where's McStalin?

We should have changed managers a month ago
Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 19:35 - Feb 18 with 3315 viewsmikehunt

I kept an eye on Odoh today, as Orient fans I spoke with thought he was a real handful on Tuesday. So, frustrating as he seems to be, we just don’t help him. He goes off on his runs and, instead of one or two of our players tracking his runs to give him an easy lay off, we wait until he is surrounded by defenders, expecting him to get a cross in. Then we are on his case because a defender blocks his intended cross. He is one of our most skilled players. Sadly, he doesn’t appear to be used to his full potential, or being coached to help him improve.
Baying at him from the Sandy won’t help either.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 19:35 - Feb 18 with 3319 viewsShun

I’m certainly not making excuses, as we’ve been dreadful and will be relegated on merit, but it shows what we’re up against when Gillingham can go out and spend more last month alone than we have this millennium.
Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 19:39 - Feb 18 with 3258 viewsNorthernDale

You have lost me 'McStalin'?

We had to give Bentley the chance to bring his own players in, but the lack of fight was the biggest concern for me today, we need fighters in our position. some of that team could not fight the way out of a wet paper bad.
Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 19:40 - Feb 18 with 3240 viewsDMR90

Look at Rodney for the second goal. Epitomises the lack of effort in this team. Their 2 players have time/space to pass it between themselves out wide before moving into the box. Rodney then appears but with zero effort to challenge their player. Embarrassing!
Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 19:56 - Feb 18 with 3071 viewsEllDale

Strange mix of emotions today.
I was half hoping for a repeat of the Northampton performance but we just didn’t get it.
Three games in a week too much for a team which apparently hadn’t been training on Mondays and Thursdays.
I could half understand the selection of EEL over Taylor in as much as he can play on the left of a back four. If that’s the formation that we play that is.
Unfortunately he didn’t look anything like match fit or sharp enough. That was a terrible tackle that saw him get booked, shockingly mistimed.
Out of interest, who was captain with EEL, ROD and SAJ all off the pitch?
Bennett looked lame at the end as well. Hope he’s not injured but merely not matchfit.
Was a man of the match announced today?
My nomination would have been Mullarkey. I hope he doesn’t get dragged down the the level of the rest of them as appears to be happening to Dodgson.
Even Mullarkey appeared to be getting frustrated as the game progressed as witnessed by his lashed shot at goal late on. He must be wondering what the hell he let himself in for.
It looked like sheer frustration.
To be fair Quigley, for all the stick he gets on here, actually looks from his body language to actually care.
As did Kelly when he came, scampering and darting about making his himself available. Or was he just competent and as such stood out in comparison to SAJ and Toums. I’m not decrying their effort but they’re so one paced and predictable.
Today was the last chance saloon as far as I’m concerned. We won’t get of the bottom two now.
My only hope is now that Crawley stay up and Hartlepool come down with us. At least it’ll be a game in the National League which is nearer home and with a decent level of away support.
Please don’t subside now and merely fulfil fixtures rather than playing with pride until May.
I would hate there to be some embarrassing results like Scunthorpe suffered at Bristol Rovers last season.
Having seen a fair bit of National League football over the last five years or so the team, as it played last week, would be competitive.
On today’s performance it would struggle.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2023 19:57]
Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 20:00 - Feb 18 with 3040 views442Dale

Interesting read from Fitz:

https://rochdaleafcnews.com/2023/02/18/its-time-for-action/

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Login to get fewer ads

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 20:10 - Feb 18 with 2960 viewsTrev

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 20:00 - Feb 18 by 442Dale

Good article. Loses marks for using the word 'gotten'.
Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 20:13 - Feb 18 with 2886 viewsEllDale

I wish I’d written that.
Totally agree.
Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 20:17 - Feb 18 with 2861 viewsfitzochris

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 20:10 - Feb 18 by Trev

Good article. Loses marks for using the word 'gotten'.

Sorry, must’ve come over all American. Probably the amount of time the ball is in the air.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 20:22 - Feb 18 with 2810 viewsDaleFan7

I agreed with 90% of it and then the last couple of paragraphs made me disregard the rest.
Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 20:25 - Feb 18 with 2772 viewsEllDale

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 20:17 - Feb 18 by fitzochris

Sorry, must’ve come over all American. Probably the amount of time the ball is in the air.

I read somewhere that the word “gotten” was commonplace in the 17th and 18th centuries in England and has survived in places like the USA and New Zealand whereas it’s fallen out of use here.
Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 20:27 - Feb 18 with 2752 views442Dale

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 20:22 - Feb 18 by DaleFan7

I agreed with 90% of it and then the last couple of paragraphs made me disregard the rest.

In not Keith Hill’s biggest fan at all, but what’s wrong with this and the subsequent question?

“ Sure, towards the end of his time at the club there was struggle and, with the exception of Tranmere, he has since failed to recapture the sparkle that made him, once upon a time, tipped for the top, but one thing is for sure — he gets our club. Totally and utterly gets it. There will be no adjustment period. He created a positive winning culture once. He could do it again, couldn’t he?”

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 20:35 - Feb 18 with 2689 viewsDaleFan7

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 20:27 - Feb 18 by 442Dale

In not Keith Hill’s biggest fan at all, but what’s wrong with this and the subsequent question?

“ Sure, towards the end of his time at the club there was struggle and, with the exception of Tranmere, he has since failed to recapture the sparkle that made him, once upon a time, tipped for the top, but one thing is for sure — he gets our club. Totally and utterly gets it. There will be no adjustment period. He created a positive winning culture once. He could do it again, couldn’t he?”

He also created division, blamed everyone but himself for our poor performances, was overseeing certain relegation before he was sacked and replaced with BBM.

He proved in his subsequent jobs that he hadn't changed and was sacked for that reason at Tranmere. At the same stage of the season he couldn't save Scunthorpe (despite them having more points than us) and had a 7% win rate. 16/17 was the last time we had a season under him that we had more wins than losses, that's a long time ago in football terms. Since he left he hasn't kept a job for more than 12 months. Yes, he's been our most successful manager in the past but since 16/17, what's he done to convince he's the answer now?
Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 20:43 - Feb 18 with 2613 viewsIOMDale

I genuinely couldn’t agree anymore with this. It’s Askey or Hill for me too, preferably with a change of management being made no later than Wednesday. Owt else is bordering on neglect.

UTDNFS

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 20:46 - Feb 18 with 2583 viewsEllDale

There’s a game on Tuesday and a replacement needs to be in charge before then if a change is indeed to be made.
I’ve suggested Tony Ellis as an interim manager on another thread.
Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 20:48 - Feb 18 with 2566 viewsIOMDale

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 20:46 - Feb 18 by EllDale

There’s a game on Tuesday and a replacement needs to be in charge before then if a change is indeed to be made.
I’ve suggested Tony Ellis as an interim manager on another thread.

Bentley to be gone tomorrow with Ellis just stepping in until after Tuesday will do. I don’t want to see Bentley in charge for another game. I don’t want to see 90% of this squad turn out for us again either but they’re sadly harder to shift.

UTDNFS

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 20:52 - Feb 18 with 2546 viewsSaxonDale

I think as a club and a fanbase we’ve been more than patient enough with Bentley but he simply isn’t having any impact on this group of players. He has to be sacked tomorrow- even if relegation is a foregone conclusion.
Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 23:24 - Feb 18 with 2198 viewsEllDale

Has anyone else got a view on claims that their second goal was offside?
Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 00:12 - Feb 19 with 2056 viewsrhf

It’s about focussing on the inevitable now - what sums this dreadful squad up is we sign a player from the National League who now looks our best player - sums it up ! We need to plan now for relegation and aim to stabilise in the NL - problem is we have a lack of football nous in the club, the biggest loss on that was Colin Garlick, since then it’s been a wing and a prayer philosophy. We need a proper footballing chief excec who knows a good contract from a bad one, a manager who knows the NL, who can give us a few home wins and a goal or two, get us in mid table with something to build on and a bit of hope, surely that’s not a big ask ! The current set up simply won’t deliver that, so let’s be realistic, identify the personnel needed (no first timers for goodness sake) appoint and plan for the NL now. Askey, Hill, or someone else, just get it done.
Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 01:15 - Feb 19 with 1975 viewsShun

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 19:35 - Feb 18 by mikehunt

I kept an eye on Odoh today, as Orient fans I spoke with thought he was a real handful on Tuesday. So, frustrating as he seems to be, we just don’t help him. He goes off on his runs and, instead of one or two of our players tracking his runs to give him an easy lay off, we wait until he is surrounded by defenders, expecting him to get a cross in. Then we are on his case because a defender blocks his intended cross. He is one of our most skilled players. Sadly, he doesn’t appear to be used to his full potential, or being coached to help him improve.
Baying at him from the Sandy won’t help either.

He’s an enigma, one of the most frustrating players I’ve ever seen, but I can’t give up on him. I think at times it’s easy to forget he’s only 22. He’s been really poor this season, and there’s absolutely no defending his attacking stats, but I’m adamant there’s a player in there. He’s fast, can generally beat a man with ease, and has that low centre of gravity that makes him a nightmare for defenders. Crossing, shooting and decision-making can all be coached. Granted, they haven’t been so far, but he has the attributes to be a, dare I say it, good player.

For all the criticism players are rightfully receiving tonight for not trying, I’ve never seen Odoh not even attempt to defend like Rodney et al. for their second goal today.
Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 08:15 - Feb 19 with 1721 viewsTomRAFC

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 19:56 - Feb 18 by EllDale

Strange mix of emotions today.
I was half hoping for a repeat of the Northampton performance but we just didn’t get it.
Three games in a week too much for a team which apparently hadn’t been training on Mondays and Thursdays.
I could half understand the selection of EEL over Taylor in as much as he can play on the left of a back four. If that’s the formation that we play that is.
Unfortunately he didn’t look anything like match fit or sharp enough. That was a terrible tackle that saw him get booked, shockingly mistimed.
Out of interest, who was captain with EEL, ROD and SAJ all off the pitch?
Bennett looked lame at the end as well. Hope he’s not injured but merely not matchfit.
Was a man of the match announced today?
My nomination would have been Mullarkey. I hope he doesn’t get dragged down the the level of the rest of them as appears to be happening to Dodgson.
Even Mullarkey appeared to be getting frustrated as the game progressed as witnessed by his lashed shot at goal late on. He must be wondering what the hell he let himself in for.
It looked like sheer frustration.
To be fair Quigley, for all the stick he gets on here, actually looks from his body language to actually care.
As did Kelly when he came, scampering and darting about making his himself available. Or was he just competent and as such stood out in comparison to SAJ and Toums. I’m not decrying their effort but they’re so one paced and predictable.
Today was the last chance saloon as far as I’m concerned. We won’t get of the bottom two now.
My only hope is now that Crawley stay up and Hartlepool come down with us. At least it’ll be a game in the National League which is nearer home and with a decent level of away support.
Please don’t subside now and merely fulfil fixtures rather than playing with pride until May.
I would hate there to be some embarrassing results like Scunthorpe suffered at Bristol Rovers last season.
Having seen a fair bit of National League football over the last five years or so the team, as it played last week, would be competitive.
On today’s performance it would struggle.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2023 19:57]

I don't recall a man of the match being announced. The announcement over the tannoy said the man of the match presentation would take place in the Dale bar but it never did.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 08:45 - Feb 19 with 1629 viewsTomRAFC

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 18:51 - Feb 18 by Ben_M

The group was thrown under the bus months back. They was asked to self police the group as the club couldn’t afford the extra police and stewards. They was happy to do it at first but was then told by the clubs copper that they shouldn’t speak to the group. Been poor all round. What could’ve been a successful group was really just allowed to fall flat on its arse. Performances haven’t helped and now just really shows the frustrations of fans

A group of people shifted from where they have stood for donkeys years for this project, and frankly it's been an embarrassment. The overcoaters name is only a further kick in the teeth.

All we've got is more drugs, flares, bell end behaviour, and the same song about Oldham over and over. Oh, no, we've got a new song about relegation, great. The self-appointed creators of "atmosphere" have created a toxic one.

I really don't care anymore about who had good intentions or not. There's a naïve entitlement about what the club/police/everyone else should have done, as if the singing section should have been one of their priorities?

I was ashamed of what we put on the pitch yesterday but I'm equally as ashamed of some of our fanbase at the moment.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 08:49 - Feb 19 with 1620 viewskel

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 08:45 - Feb 19 by TomRAFC

A group of people shifted from where they have stood for donkeys years for this project, and frankly it's been an embarrassment. The overcoaters name is only a further kick in the teeth.

All we've got is more drugs, flares, bell end behaviour, and the same song about Oldham over and over. Oh, no, we've got a new song about relegation, great. The self-appointed creators of "atmosphere" have created a toxic one.

I really don't care anymore about who had good intentions or not. There's a naïve entitlement about what the club/police/everyone else should have done, as if the singing section should have been one of their priorities?

I was ashamed of what we put on the pitch yesterday but I'm equally as ashamed of some of our fanbase at the moment.

It was obvious at the start that it would get out of control. I had to put up with a Twitter pile on from them for suggesting it at the time. To contradict myself in my point towards Sweetcorn in another thread, I told you (not you specifically Tom) so 😂
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024