Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gillingham (H) Match Thread 12:16 - Feb 17 with 27145 viewsHullDale

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 09:00 - Feb 19 with 4049 viewsNigelWatson

Somebody earlier on wrote this: "Three games in a week too much for a team which apparently hadn’t been training on Mondays and Thursdays."

We're supposed to be a professional football club. I know that it's a long drive over from Liverpool everyday, but it's hardly surprising that the team is unfit if this sort of nonsense has been happening!

Here's another question - how long are the training sessions? Maybe quite short, so that the manager can make the long trek home on the M62 before the traffic builds up?

At most other clubs players get one day a week off. If they've been putting the effort in on the pitch they'll be in on their day off. It's no good slagging your own players off in public for a lack of effort in post match interviews if you don't do anything about it, and allow them to keep on getting away with it! That's weak, ineffectual management.

But players these days have big egos and won't put up with managers who cancel their days off? Really? Earlier in the season Manchester United's new manager had them in running for hours on their day off after a lackluster performance.

And you don't need any special equipment or facilities to do that! Mind you, that would mean another early start on the road for our manager, rather than a nice lie in.
Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 10:23 - Feb 19 with 3792 viewsD_Alien

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 09:00 - Feb 19 by NigelWatson

Somebody earlier on wrote this: "Three games in a week too much for a team which apparently hadn’t been training on Mondays and Thursdays."

We're supposed to be a professional football club. I know that it's a long drive over from Liverpool everyday, but it's hardly surprising that the team is unfit if this sort of nonsense has been happening!

Here's another question - how long are the training sessions? Maybe quite short, so that the manager can make the long trek home on the M62 before the traffic builds up?

At most other clubs players get one day a week off. If they've been putting the effort in on the pitch they'll be in on their day off. It's no good slagging your own players off in public for a lack of effort in post match interviews if you don't do anything about it, and allow them to keep on getting away with it! That's weak, ineffectual management.

But players these days have big egos and won't put up with managers who cancel their days off? Really? Earlier in the season Manchester United's new manager had them in running for hours on their day off after a lackluster performance.

And you don't need any special equipment or facilities to do that! Mind you, that would mean another early start on the road for our manager, rather than a nice lie in.

Lacklustre - below par performance

*Lackluster - never had anyone fancy you

Not surprised you've conflated the two

I'll bet you shouting "Gerrit forward!" didn't help either...

[Post edited 19 Feb 2023 10:26]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 10:27 - Feb 19 with 3763 viewsJames1980

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 09:00 - Feb 19 by NigelWatson

How do you know he is this slothful character you portray him to be?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 10:29 - Feb 19 with 3751 viewsD_Alien

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 10:27 - Feb 19 by James1980

How do you know he is this slothful character you portray him to be?

It's called "projection", James
[Post edited 19 Feb 2023 10:30]

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 11:42 - Feb 19 with 3513 viewsJames1980

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 10:29 - Feb 19 by D_Alien

It's called "projection", James
[Post edited 19 Feb 2023 10:30]

Tbf 08:15 is a reasonable time to be up on a Sunday although Nige could have been messaging whilst wallowing in his pit.

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 13:53 - Feb 19 with 3273 viewsdingdangblue

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 23:24 - Feb 18 by EllDale

Has anyone else got a view on claims that their second goal was offside?

Yeah it looks offside but I think everyone had given up caring by then.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 14:18 - Feb 19 with 3207 viewselectricblue

Watching JBs post match interview he looks like a beaten man ..

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 14:41 - Feb 19 with 3138 viewsKnavesmireBob

I'm in much the same camp as Fitz's article last night, for what it's worth here's what I'd like to see happen next :

- Bentley has to go before Tuesday night. For his own sake as much as anything else. His interview yesterday came across as an admittance of that, without him being able to say it directly. He's a decent bloke and doesn't deserve what will likely follow if he stays in the role any longer.

- Quick fix temporary solution to see us through whilst a permanent replacement is being fully focused on. Whether that's Hill, Henderson, Ellis I'm not too bothered. McNulty didn't give any confidence in his stint in August so I wouldn't repeat that. If a miracle happens and they start winning every game then we have a nice problem.

- Complete focus the next few weeks on having a new permanent manager in place and fully prepared to hit the ground running in the National League come August. If we can get Askey before he returns here to York then great. If not don't waste time tilting at windmills by talking to more people who will turn us down when they get full transparency of what they'd be coming into. Must be someone with proven recent success in first team management - therefore if that means we need to look to Tiers 6 and maybe even 7 of the pyramid, or whatever the equivalent womens level is for our budget, then so be it. Find someone on the way up that sees Rochdale as their natural next step, but still a proven 1st team manager and not another Stockdale gamble.

- Interview process - as thorough as time allows. Explore scenario examples of their motivational competencies on both a group and 1-1 level. Do they naturally deflect praise to the players and take ownership when things are going wrong. What's their playing style, in game tactical acumen and attitude to risk. And if we're keeping it next year are they truly committed to giving 1st team opportunities to our academy graduates even if it means the young lads sometimes having to learn on the pitch. Finally, and only when all the above feels right, are they a good culture fit to RAFC and our values.

Get this next one right and we can start to turn the tide. Absolutely no reason why that can't be possible, I'm an eternal optimist and my glass remains half full.
Login to get fewer ads

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 15:08 - Feb 19 with 3025 viewsEllDale

There are grounds for optimism but the downward spiral needs to be arrested.
A reasonably successful team fighting for a playoff place in the National League could well see attendances actually improve.
There is also every chance of a cup run.
I think I’m right in saying that National League sides only play one qualifying round of the FA Cup and so have an excellent chance of making the first round.
If you do get that far and draw Derby, a Sheffield Wednesday or a Bolton then you could be nailed on for a TV games.
There’s also the FA Trophy with a chance of reaching Wembley.
The other side of the coin of course ss that is if the spiral doesn’t end that you end up in National League One with a hardcore fan base of 800.
Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 16:08 - Feb 19 with 2832 viewsJames1980

There really only is one choice to replace Bentley isn't there. I'd put one stipulation in his contract though no post match interviews.

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 16:36 - Feb 19 with 2741 viewsD_Alien

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 15:08 - Feb 19 by EllDale

A reasonably successful team fighting for a playoff place in the National League could well see attendances actually improve.
I think I’m right in saying that National League sides only play one qualifying round of the FA Cup and so have an excellent chance of making the first round.
If you do get that far and draw Derby, a Sheffield Wednesday or a Bolton then you could be nailed on for a TV games.
The other side of the coin of course ss that is if the spiral doesn’t end that you end up in National League One with a hardcore fan base of 800.

Another huge plus though, would be not having to play in the Papa Johns or whatever shite name that abomination of a tournament is called these days

Playing in the FA Trophy would be far preferable, although i suppose it'd be a replacement for the League Cup
[Post edited 19 Feb 2023 16:37]

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 19:31 - Feb 19 with 2499 viewsjonahwhereru

Travelled up for the game. I had previously seen Orient at Spotland and Sutton down there. So I should have expected a result of nil summat and that is what I got.
Like many I didn’t see this as a massive game. The damage has been done prior to the window, when we became the least desirable club to land at. Plus our competitors rolled the dice. One of then will be in dire straights when one of them get relegated with us.
As for the game, I thought it lacked passion. The first goal was p-ss poor. The response was half decent, but we simply weren’t good enough to put them under the cosh for any length of time.
As for individuals Mullarkey was a stand out. I hope he doesn’t has a relegation clause in his contact. Quigley seemed to be double teamed for most challenges in the air in the second half. I think they sussed his knock ons were our best / only hope. He put in a shift. Kelly is capable at this level. Seriki made an impact when he came on. In fact those two were decent subs not made to late. Dodgson will have a decent career with normal progression.
We will go down, unless there are some substantial points deductions for our rivals. Next season Dale will still be my team. Already eying Halifax away.
Will save my emotions for the the final home game.
Always Dale.
Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 20:47 - Feb 19 with 2336 viewsDaleFan7

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 15:08 - Feb 19 by EllDale

Scunthorpe were a point better off than we are at this stage last season and are currently 2nd bottom of the National league. Oldham were 10 points better off when they'd played 32 games and are only 6 points off the relegation zone of the National League.

There's nothing in the squad that can inspire me that we won't struggle next season either. Unfortunately a lot of the players we have are still under contract next year, too.
Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 20:58 - Feb 19 with 2310 viewsEllDale

Have Scunthorpe or Oldham the same squads in the NL that they had last season though?
I seem to remember that of players at the latter were released at the end of the campaign or jumped ship.
The daft thing is that I remember thinking after the Northampton game that displays like that would see Dale competitive in a lower division next season.
Performances like yesterday’s would see us struggle.
A lot of the “bigger” former EFL clubs struggle initially in the NL because every game is a cup tie in the eyes of the opposition who seem to raise their game significantly.
Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 21:24 - Feb 19 with 2239 views442Dale

Former league club, Barnet, chasing the play-offs. Their attendances this season:

6 Aug FC Halifax Town 1,286
20 Aug Woking 1,465
29 Aug Eastleigh 1,974
13 Sep Dorking Wanderers 1,152
1 Oct York City 1,637
4 Oct Maidstone United 1,173
15 Oct Weston-super-Mare 785
22 Oct Maidenhead United 1,259
28 Oct Scunthorpe United 1,745
1 Nov Southend United 2,704
5 Nov Chelmsford City 1,773
19 Nov Torquay United 2,153
3 Dec Wealdstone 2,494
20 Dec Plymouth Parkway n/a
26 Dec Boreham Wood 2,571
7 Jan Gateshead 1,417
28 Jan Chesterfield 2,277

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 12:02 - Feb 20 with 1719 viewsAtThePeake

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 20:58 - Feb 19 by EllDale

Have Scunthorpe or Oldham the same squads in the NL that they had last season though?
I seem to remember that of players at the latter were released at the end of the campaign or jumped ship.
The daft thing is that I remember thinking after the Northampton game that displays like that would see Dale competitive in a lower division next season.
Performances like yesterday’s would see us struggle.
A lot of the “bigger” former EFL clubs struggle initially in the NL because every game is a cup tie in the eyes of the opposition who seem to raise their game significantly.

When they've been playing the likes of Wrexham, Stockport and Notts County over the last few seasons I'd be very surprised if anyone sees Rochdale as a 'cup tie'. We won't be one of the biggest clubs in that division.

Tangled up in blue.

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 12:03 - Feb 20 with 1719 viewsAtThePeake

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 01:15 - Feb 19 by Shun

He’s an enigma, one of the most frustrating players I’ve ever seen, but I can’t give up on him. I think at times it’s easy to forget he’s only 22. He’s been really poor this season, and there’s absolutely no defending his attacking stats, but I’m adamant there’s a player in there. He’s fast, can generally beat a man with ease, and has that low centre of gravity that makes him a nightmare for defenders. Crossing, shooting and decision-making can all be coached. Granted, they haven’t been so far, but he has the attributes to be a, dare I say it, good player.

For all the criticism players are rightfully receiving tonight for not trying, I’ve never seen Odoh not even attempt to defend like Rodney et al. for their second goal today.

Have to disagree on this one Shun.

One of the things that made Kwadwo Baah dangerous in his short spell with us was that he could suck players in towards him, then look up, see that players have found the space that's been created by his attracting defenders, then find a pass. Not always, but far more often than Odoh, who doesn't get his head up until it's too late and then inevitably makes an incorrect decision or fluffs his lines if he does somehow end up with time and space.

He's fast and he has technical dribbling ability - but he isn't anywhere near smart enough to use that efficiently and he can't shoot, can't cross and can't pass. After 3 or 4 games you can make the case for potential to be worked on - but not after 75.

Tangled up in blue.

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 12:17 - Feb 20 with 1675 viewsDaleiLama

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 12:03 - Feb 20 by AtThePeake

Have to disagree on this one Shun.

One of the things that made Kwadwo Baah dangerous in his short spell with us was that he could suck players in towards him, then look up, see that players have found the space that's been created by his attracting defenders, then find a pass. Not always, but far more often than Odoh, who doesn't get his head up until it's too late and then inevitably makes an incorrect decision or fluffs his lines if he does somehow end up with time and space.

He's fast and he has technical dribbling ability - but he isn't anywhere near smart enough to use that efficiently and he can't shoot, can't cross and can't pass. After 3 or 4 games you can make the case for potential to be worked on - but not after 75.

Sadly. that's where I've ended up on this one too. Started where Shun is at, but took the path to the dark side where you're at. He now has the moniker Onoh around where I sit. He's 100% effort and really does run his socks off, tracks back etc. His ability to positively influence a game can't be disputed, but the number of times he actually does it does not warrant a place in the starting X1 for me, except as an emergency FB.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 12:40 - Feb 20 with 1591 views_Windydale

Thats the frustration with Odoh he could be a great player.. Like others have said, he doesn't look up enough and have that perception connection with his team mates attacking runs, he also lacks any real power in a cross or shot.Very weak in that area. Maybe a spell of leg strengthing In the gym would help him.
Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 12:46 - Feb 20 with 1572 viewsD_Alien

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 12:40 - Feb 20 by _Windydale

Thats the frustration with Odoh he could be a great player.. Like others have said, he doesn't look up enough and have that perception connection with his team mates attacking runs, he also lacks any real power in a cross or shot.Very weak in that area. Maybe a spell of leg strengthing In the gym would help him.

Nowt wrong with the strength in his legs, the lad can tackle

Maybe a leg-lengthening session...

Seriously, i think it's to do with his centre of gravity, and therefore unimprovable

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 12:49 - Feb 20 with 1551 viewsDaleiLama

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 12:46 - Feb 20 by D_Alien

Nowt wrong with the strength in his legs, the lad can tackle

Maybe a leg-lengthening session...

Seriously, i think it's to do with his centre of gravity, and therefore unimprovable

He can outjump someone having over a foot height advantage! He did it right in front of us on Saturday. He's like Skippy! He deffo has leg strength.

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 13:18 - Feb 20 with 1471 viewsBrierls

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 12:40 - Feb 20 by _Windydale

I've been through the frustration phase and now firmly in the lost cause phase with Odoh.

It's not through lack of effort on his part, but it's very obvious he hasn't got a shred of footballing intelligence. The moment he has to think, it all goes wrong. Consistently.

He wasn't himself on Saturday, even the running quickly into blind alleys wasn't there. I don't know if Bentley has told him to slow down, in the hope that he makes better decisions, or if his confidence is completely shot. Either way, it's cruel on him and us that's he's on the pitch.
Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 15:48 - Feb 20 with 1252 viewsDaleFan7

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 13:18 - Feb 20 by Brierls

I've been through the frustration phase and now firmly in the lost cause phase with Odoh.

It's not through lack of effort on his part, but it's very obvious he hasn't got a shred of footballing intelligence. The moment he has to think, it all goes wrong. Consistently.

He wasn't himself on Saturday, even the running quickly into blind alleys wasn't there. I don't know if Bentley has told him to slow down, in the hope that he makes better decisions, or if his confidence is completely shot. Either way, it's cruel on him and us that's he's on the pitch.

I really thought we had a player on our hands when we first signed him and give his lack of production the benefit of the doubt. I'm in the same position as you now, maybe a proper coach can get something out of him and make his decision making better but he's clearly not going to get that here.

He's made 63 league appearances for us, scoring 3 times and making 0 assists. Yes, he can run past defenders but it leads to nothing 99% of the time.
Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 16:35 - Feb 20 with 1186 viewstony_roch975

and the other 29 in the squad do deliver???

You could make the same analysis of all of them, all have some technical ability which they can only demonstrate briefly for 1 game in 10. Odoh can't be faulted for effort, tackles better than any other player and at least gets us up the pitch; if he was as good as Baah he would be where Baah is ... not here.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 17:03 - Feb 20 with 1122 viewsDaleiLama

Gillingham (H) Match Thread on 16:35 - Feb 20 by tony_roch975

and the other 29 in the squad do deliver???

You could make the same analysis of all of them, all have some technical ability which they can only demonstrate briefly for 1 game in 10. Odoh can't be faulted for effort, tackles better than any other player and at least gets us up the pitch; if he was as good as Baah he would be where Baah is ... not here.

This has been a discussion where I sit for yonks, Tony.

Following on from ATP's reply to my post about "potential" the other day, there's a reason players play at each level in the pyramid and move up and down it. Sometimes, we get (perhaps that should be got?) to see players who really belonged at a higher level and that was what seemed like a conveyor of broken toys and youth projects who took the step up.

Recently, we've seen the last of those players seep away through sales or expired contracts and we're left with a squad of players who belong at L2 or NL level.

Whether the cause of this is consistency, or the opposite = making too many mistakes, technical ability (we have a very few players who's first touch is good enough), heart, vision or the oft discussed football intelligence/decision-making depends on who you select. I don't think there are many in our current squad that would get close to passing muster under the scrutiny of the football analytics rating system at even L2 level. Sad.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024