Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 09:39 - Jan 30 with 19812 viewsineyrewetrust

ROCHDALE FC TODAY LOST A HERO A TRUE HERO AND ONE OF THE NICEST GENTLEMAN IN FOOTBALL AND LIFE.

SLEEP TIGHT REG ALWAYS REMEMBER ARE CHATS X
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 17:23 - Jan 30 with 2538 viewsMorden

Saw him just the once. Very sorry to hear the news
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 17:28 - Jan 30 with 2510 viewsswindondale

Simply the best.
I have the wonderful memories of seeing Reg play, from my first ever game at home to Colchester in March 1969 (4-0 win but I can't remember who scored). I've been hooked ever since.
Sad day.
Thanks for the memories Reg.
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 17:42 - Jan 30 with 2491 viewsShun

Unfortunately never had the pleasure of watching him play, but it's clear to see how legendary his status is.

RIP.
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 18:13 - Jan 30 with 2454 viewsfermin

Can only echo what others have said. Never saw him play but met him at a book signing in the club shop and at the centenary dinner.

Found this about Reg from a Torquay fan a few months ago:

'One of my heroes in that 1963/64 season was Reg Jenkins, a burly inside forward who scored 7 goals in 37 league appearances but laid on many more for Robin Stubbs and Tommy Northcott, who between them scored half of our 80 league goals.

Reg was surprisingly released at the end of that season and went to Rochdale where he became a local hero, scoring 119 goals in 305 appearances. He was voted Rochdale's best ever player in a recent poll similar to the one we did where we selected Don Mills.

I bumped into Reg in 1992 after a game at Millbrook Football Club when I was secretary of a South Western League team and we had just beaten Torpoint Athletic in the semi-final of the SWL Cup. I had been talking to Reg, who had introduced himself as the groundsman, for a good 15 minutes before I realised who he was. As soon as I realised I was immediately transported back to the age of eleven, my hero Reg Jenkins, all those memories, and Rochdale .... at Home..'

http://www.torquayfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4552&start=45
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 18:42 - Jan 30 with 2414 viewsTTNYear

Nowt more to say than, a legend in Rochdale fans eyes

RIP

Anti-cliquism is the last refuge of the messageboard scoundrel - Copyright Dorset Dale productions

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 18:47 - Jan 30 with 2408 viewsArthurDaley

RIP Reg. It was an absolute pleasure to have seen you play. Of all the goals i saw you score the one that sticks in my mind, i think it was against Mansfield. I was just to the left of the goal in Pearl ST, as soon as Reg hit it i was leaping in the air before it even hit the net. A true gent who will be sadly missed

A large VAT Dave

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 19:07 - Jan 30 with 2381 viewsVespaDale

JUST before I started watching the Dale so I missed our legend... But obviously the club/town & Reg & his wife have always had a bond, if only we could unearth another Reggie...

RIP big man my uncles speak highly of you & your thunderbolts!!!
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 19:16 - Jan 30 with 2374 viewsBlueDutch

R.I.P. Reg
You were, are and always will be the epitome of all that is good about football and Rochdale AFC. A true gentleman both on and off the field. You will always be my hero.

Sleep tight big fella.

upthedale.nl

Login to get fewer ads

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 19:30 - Jan 30 with 2343 viewschrishill

Got me watching Rochdale in '64 and kept me there. Just glad I got the chance to shake his hand at the centenary and thank him for the thrills he gave me as a teenager.

The signed no. 10 shirt will always be on my wall.

Hero

Daleleeds

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 19:30 - Jan 30 with 2342 viewsBeefCurtain

A little before my time but my Dad has mentioned him and his thunderbolts many times to me. Renaming a stand or a small statue would be a nice tribute.

R.I.P to a true legend.

Everyone's had beef with beef curtain.

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 19:31 - Jan 30 with 2340 viewssykeboy

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 10:31 - Jan 30 by D_Alien

Reg was a true football hero, by any standard.

Forget about overpaid, high profile players - Reg earned a decent living doing the thing he loved - smashing the ball into the back of the net! But his all-round skills as a footballer were often forgotten. He could cross a ball as well as any winger (his cross onto Dave Cross's head to score in the Lancs Senior Cup Final against Oldham (a big game in those days, capacity crowd) was just poetry.

Reg himself will never be forgotten, as long as there are Daleys to remember him. He was the reason I wanted to start watching the Dale, aged 7, as I heard about his feats. As hard as they come but fair and uncomplaining.

RIP

good memories of Reg, was my boyhood dale hero

RIP
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 20:13 - Jan 30 with 2296 views49thseason

Rochdale v Wrexham, 27 December 1965 - Rochdale 6 Wrexham 0 - I remember Reg shooting, hitting a defender on its way to goal, hitting the bar and flooring another defender from the rebound. Two trainers on the pitch, two Wrexham defenders needing attention - Priceless. That game has always stood out in my memory for that one incident.
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 20:17 - Jan 30 with 2292 viewsTomRAFC

i was far too young to have ever seen reg play but met him several times over the years including meeting him when very young.

every child who meets an idol should meet someone like reg. warm, humble, genuine and a true gent.

i recall my dad (sandyman) buying reg a pint once out of respect and reg buying him one back.

a true loss but he will remain a rochdale legend,

my thoughts are with those close to him. i hope they all know how much rochdale loved and will always love sir reg and he is most definately SIR reg.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 20:33 - Jan 30 with 2273 viewsusername

R.I.P REG JENKINS
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 20:34 - Jan 30 with 2272 viewsdownunder

Condolences to his family. In that promotion season, we always leaned against the wall to one side of the SandyLane goal. It is true, he could really "leather it". Fond memories of his goals.
A minutes silence is always moving, but I vote for a minutes applause for him and his family.
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 20:51 - Jan 30 with 2250 viewsR17ALE

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 20:34 - Jan 30 by downunder

Condolences to his family. In that promotion season, we always leaned against the wall to one side of the SandyLane goal. It is true, he could really "leather it". Fond memories of his goals.
A minutes silence is always moving, but I vote for a minutes applause for him and his family.

Terribly sad news. A top bloke who was a man's man. I'd vote for renaming Studds "Reggies Bar". He'd be made up to know that he'd had a pub named after him! Some folk get a street, a football ground, a building, but Reg liked a pint and to have a bar named after him would tickle him no end.

I remember meeting him years ago and in chat it emerged we both shared the love of golf.

He challenged me to a game, but I declined on finding out he'd only taken the game up on retiring from football and within years was playing off a single figure handicap (and still was in his 60's!).

Bloody hell, it's so infuriating, fantastic at football and gifted at golf. Why is it some people can just play sport so well, and so easily, whilst the rest of us struggle along?

RIP Reg.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 21:32 - Jan 30 with 2184 viewsBluemonkey76

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 09:44 - Jan 30 by BigKindo

RIP Reg. I only posted yesterday about his scoring a volleyed goal which broke the net.

My dad used to own a market stall and employ a good friend of Reg's .Having never seen Reg play as his time was before I started following the dale I went to the stall one day as Reg turned up to see his friend . At this point I didn't even know it was him and proceeded to sit there and have a brew and 30 minutes of his time talking about all things football .At no point did he say who he was even when I was going on about the dale it was later after he left that his friend said who he was And even though I felt a muppet having not recognised him at the time .I feel privileged to have spent some time with him and can say he was very likeable and a down to earth Great Guy .141 goal for the club at the very least deserves the studs bar to change its name to the Jenkins bar but a stand being named after him Would be more fitting and deserved .
R.I.P Reg your talent was only matched buy your personality !!!!!!

always above Bury

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 21:34 - Jan 30 with 2176 viewsBobbyjoe

Just heard (via Salzburg!). Quite simply, he was the personification of the club. Utterly unknown to the wider football world, he is,was, and always will be Mr Rochdale AFC.
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 21:35 - Jan 30 with 2176 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 20:51 - Jan 30 by R17ALE

Terribly sad news. A top bloke who was a man's man. I'd vote for renaming Studds "Reggies Bar". He'd be made up to know that he'd had a pub named after him! Some folk get a street, a football ground, a building, but Reg liked a pint and to have a bar named after him would tickle him no end.

I remember meeting him years ago and in chat it emerged we both shared the love of golf.

He challenged me to a game, but I declined on finding out he'd only taken the game up on retiring from football and within years was playing off a single figure handicap (and still was in his 60's!).

Bloody hell, it's so infuriating, fantastic at football and gifted at golf. Why is it some people can just play sport so well, and so easily, whilst the rest of us struggle along?

RIP Reg.

A wonderful idea that R17.

RIP Big Reg.

Although I never had the privilege of seeing you play, you will always be a hero.

Gone, but never, ever forgotten.

Everything thats been, has past. The answers in the looking glass!

RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 22:17 - Jan 30 with 2132 views100569

Very sad news. I`m only glad I had the pleasure of seeing Reg`s career unfold at Spotland and witnessed many a fine goal including the one that broke the net ! A great footballer, a legend and a very nice man indeed. I will miss not meeting and chatting to him again.

My condolences to his family.

RIP Reg.
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 00:35 - Jan 31 with 2064 viewspl56

Can only repeat the sentiments of sincere regret and condolence .

An absolute legend ; the power behind our first ever promotion and a selfless player who , I recall , even turned out (and starred) at centre half when the club needed him . A generous individual and a credit to the profession in a way so seldom seen these days .

Reg was a man who made an indelible mark on my teenage/early twenties years , and I will never forget his barnstorming performance in the "Southend game" that clinched promotion in 1969 .

I support any initiative to have his name remembered permanently at Spotland .
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 02:34 - Jan 31 with 2053 viewsDiddyDave

Yes,great memories of Reg who was a marvellous servant of Dale in the sixties. Never took a backward step and scored some great goals,obviously the Southend game in `69 coming to the fore when he ran them ragged and from memory got two that day to set Dale on the road to promotion. One of the best ever signings,from the fans saying Reg Who when he joined,to becoming the legend that he was says it all,the man who loved Rochdale and its people. Farewell Reg.
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 07:41 - Jan 31 with 2031 viewsbettridge28

These are so nice to read, Everything written in hear is so accurate of my uncle, gentle giant and someone I looked up to and admired for a long time whether it was his stories or some golfing tips or just scrounging some golf balls from his vast collection he would always help His stories are some of the best I've ever heard and its so nice reading all of these tributes. And I hope that the lads do a job on Saturday and get a great win in his honour.
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 09:58 - Jan 31 with 1978 viewskirbys

Isn't it so remarkable that so many people have recorded their memories of a wonderful player and dignified man.
Everything has been said really including a plea from all on this forum to the Directors to make a permanent memorial to Sir Reg. We urge you to consider this. For those not to have seen the man please join in the tribute on Saturday he was so special.
For those lucky enough to have seen Reg in action they will remember the anticipation round the ground when he got hold of the ball anywhere past the halfway line. He would go on a run with the opposition trying to get the ball off him then he would let fly - he was on target more often than not but the power was truly awesome.
Off the field many were touched by his quiet almost humble manner something not seen in many players these days.
As a kid in those days I would wait at the players entrance after the match with my autograph book and the two players always to come and have a word were yes Sir Reg and Stan Milburn. What an absolute privilege to have known them, to have seen them in the same team and to have gone home after a match buzzing with their performances for days months and years.
Our club has lost a very special person, god bless him and sincere condolences to his family. He will never be forgotten.
RIP REG JENKINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on 15:53 - Jan 31 with 1889 viewsspikey58

Young enough to have seen him in his pomp 68-71. Can still remember the sense of anticipation whenever he got the ball within 25 yards of the goal; the man for whom the phrase "when he hits the ball it stays hit" was created. RIP.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024