Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Britain's first black manager 11:34 - Dec 1 with 4032 viewsBrighouseDale

Just noticed this on the BBC site, never realised The Dale such a pivotal part in football history.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37698576

I am the resurrection and I am the light.

Britain's first black manager on 12:44 - Dec 1 with 3944 viewselectricblue

There was a brief article on north west tonight last week or the week before...

History in the making indeed.......

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Britain's first black manager on 13:17 - Dec 1 with 3899 viewsmingthemerciless

Tony Collins was the manager when I first started going to Sporland. I thought he did a great job with next to no resources. Some of my favourite 'Dale players were his signings.

Big Reg, Laurie Calloway, Dave Storf, George Morton, Graham Cunliffe etc. All class acts who were entertainers in their different ways.

He should take a bow.
Britain's first black manager on 13:41 - Dec 1 with 3853 viewsSuddenLad

Britain's first black manager on 13:17 - Dec 1 by mingthemerciless

Tony Collins was the manager when I first started going to Sporland. I thought he did a great job with next to no resources. Some of my favourite 'Dale players were his signings.

Big Reg, Laurie Calloway, Dave Storf, George Morton, Graham Cunliffe etc. All class acts who were entertainers in their different ways.

He should take a bow.

Agree 100%.

My earliest Dale watching days were when TC was manager and the names on your list are permanently etched in my memory bank. Memorable, if not entirely successful, days.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Britain's first black manager on 14:11 - Dec 1 with 3824 viewsD_Alien

TC was a class act at our level and agree with the above about his abilities. It was only long after he'd left that I first saw references to him as a 'black manager' - he was never (as far as I'm aware) referred to in that way when I first started watching Dale. I bumped into him coming out of the newsagents in Cutgate precinct with a copy of the Pink Final - remember those?! - and still not thinking anything about it.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Britain's first black manager on 14:44 - Dec 1 with 3778 viewsaleanddale

Britain's first black manager on 14:11 - Dec 1 by D_Alien

TC was a class act at our level and agree with the above about his abilities. It was only long after he'd left that I first saw references to him as a 'black manager' - he was never (as far as I'm aware) referred to in that way when I first started watching Dale. I bumped into him coming out of the newsagents in Cutgate precinct with a copy of the Pink Final - remember those?! - and still not thinking anything about it.

Pink final!!

The running joke was you could leave with 5 minutes to go and pick up a pink on the way out to find out the full time result...

Amazing how they got that out and sold in the blink of an eye!!

Used to love the pink final.
Britain's first black manager on 15:25 - Dec 1 with 3723 viewsSuddenLad

Britain's first black manager on 14:11 - Dec 1 by D_Alien

It does seem ridiculous in these days of 'pigeon-holing' people, but he was never a 'black manager' as far as I was concerned, until someone pointed out the obvious. Similarly, I don't ever recall that 'label' being applied to him. I was briefly friendly with his son Andy in the years that followed and met TC several times at his home. A nicer man you couldn't find.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Britain's first black manager on 15:43 - Dec 1 with 3700 viewsfirgrovedale51

Britain's first black manager on 13:17 - Dec 1 by mingthemerciless

He should take a bow.

Harry Catterick was in charge when I first went to watch the Dale but the one I have memories of is Tony Collins and of course our home tie against Norwich in the League Cup Final ,
I think he went to Man United as a scout .
Britain's first black manager on 19:21 - Dec 1 with 3529 viewsmingthemerciless

Yeah " The Football Pink ". You could be playing in a Youth Match on Firgrove on a Saturday afternoon and then read a mini report about your game in the " Pink " that night. I wish I'd have kept the ones I played In.
Login to get fewer ads

Britain's first black manager on 20:54 - Dec 1 with 3440 viewsrochedale

Britain's first black manager on 14:44 - Dec 1 by aleanddale

Pink final!!

The running joke was you could leave with 5 minutes to go and pick up a pink on the way out to find out the full time result...

Amazing how they got that out and sold in the blink of an eye!!

Used to love the pink final.

That's pretty much right. I used to deliver the Pink from Stevenson Square newsagents. I used to walk there from The game, calling at Rumbelows in the exchange to hopefully catch a glimpse of Dale and Elton Welsby on.... jeez the name just escaped me. Then I would carry on to Smallbridge and grab my bag off the back door of the shop. First stop was the Bulls Head.

Ahh, the memories. Paid for quite a few Saturday night Kestral Super Strength did that round!

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Britain's first black manager on 22:16 - Dec 1 with 3373 viewsmingthemerciless

Britain's first black manager on 20:54 - Dec 1 by rochedale

That's pretty much right. I used to deliver the Pink from Stevenson Square newsagents. I used to walk there from The game, calling at Rumbelows in the exchange to hopefully catch a glimpse of Dale and Elton Welsby on.... jeez the name just escaped me. Then I would carry on to Smallbridge and grab my bag off the back door of the shop. First stop was the Bulls Head.

Ahh, the memories. Paid for quite a few Saturday night Kestral Super Strength did that round!

Mm, that's fighting ale. A pal used to drink it all the time. Half a can of Kestrel mixed with half a can of Stella was his favourite drink. He doesn't know what day it is now !
Britain's first black manager on 22:33 - Dec 1 with 3363 viewsrochedale

Britain's first black manager on 22:16 - Dec 1 by mingthemerciless

Mm, that's fighting ale. A pal used to drink it all the time. Half a can of Kestrel mixed with half a can of Stella was his favourite drink. He doesn't know what day it is now !

I'm not quite sure how we drank it, awful drink, especially warm and as a fifteen year old. But it was a cheap night, 2 cans, job done!

Poll: 24/25 season ticket, how many free games would you consider fair?

Britain's first black manager on 09:29 - Dec 2 with 3270 viewssince58

Can you remember the Pink photographer taking a picture of the crowd in the Sandy Lane.The picture was then put in the Pink with 1 or 2 fans pictures circled .
If I remember correctly did you win a cash prize.
Britain's first black manager on 09:39 - Dec 2 with 3263 viewsmingthemerciless

It was a different World then but thinking back I never considered him to be a " black " manager. It never entered my head.
Britain's first black manager on 11:14 - Dec 2 with 3232 viewsD_Alien

Britain's first black manager on 09:39 - Dec 2 by mingthemerciless

It was a different World then but thinking back I never considered him to be a " black " manager. It never entered my head.

Just as I was saying earlier in the thread...

Not sure why there's so much emphasis on this in the media. What I'm saying is, he simply wasn't perceived as being black, and that was in an era when being black really stood out

Albert Johannsen (Leeds) and Clyde Best (West Ham) spring to mind as players who had a spotlight on them due to the colour of their skin. It simply never occurred to anyone to consider TC other than as a footballer, then manager so it's odd for this to be happening now

Britain's first black manager on 11:35 - Dec 2 with 3221 viewsmingthemerciless

Britain's first black manager on 11:14 - Dec 2 by D_Alien

Just as I was saying earlier in the thread...

Not sure why there's so much emphasis on this in the media. What I'm saying is, he simply wasn't perceived as being black, and that was in an era when being black really stood out

Albert Johannsen (Leeds) and Clyde Best (West Ham) spring to mind as players who had a spotlight on them due to the colour of their skin. It simply never occurred to anyone to consider TC other than as a footballer, then manager so it's odd for this to be happening now

Yeah, I agree. I remember Viv Anderson was supposed to the first black England football player. I always thought Paul Reaney of Leeds was at least the same degree of colour as Tony Collins and he wasn't considered black at the time.
Britain's first black manager on 11:48 - Dec 2 with 3213 viewsD_Alien

Britain's first black manager on 11:35 - Dec 2 by mingthemerciless

Yeah, I agree. I remember Viv Anderson was supposed to the first black England football player. I always thought Paul Reaney of Leeds was at least the same degree of colour as Tony Collins and he wasn't considered black at the time.

Good shout about Reaney

I think the term that used to be used to describe that type of skin colour was 'swarthy' but it also had undercurrents of criminality. Strange times, looking back, but didn't feel like it back then

Edit: there was also, of course, Basil D'Oliveira, who was referred to as 'Cape-Coloured' Jeez
[Post edited 2 Dec 2016 11:54]

Britain's first black manager on 17:39 - Dec 2 with 3074 viewsBobbyjoe

Britain's first black manager on 11:48 - Dec 2 by D_Alien

Good shout about Reaney

I think the term that used to be used to describe that type of skin colour was 'swarthy' but it also had undercurrents of criminality. Strange times, looking back, but didn't feel like it back then

Edit: there was also, of course, Basil D'Oliveira, who was referred to as 'Cape-Coloured' Jeez
[Post edited 2 Dec 2016 11:54]

I commend Peter Oborne's book on "Dolly", an astonishing sportsman, whose only wish was to play cricket for his country, denied because he was "Cape-coloured" and, as such, a non-person!
Britain's first black manager on 18:00 - Dec 2 with 3058 viewsD_Alien

Britain's first black manager on 17:39 - Dec 2 by Bobbyjoe

I commend Peter Oborne's book on "Dolly", an astonishing sportsman, whose only wish was to play cricket for his country, denied because he was "Cape-coloured" and, as such, a non-person!

Thanks, I'll check that out. The D'Oliveira affair was just on the edge of my awareness at the time, but I have read elsewhere that Nelson Mandela claimed he would never have been freed to become president of a non-apartheid South Africa but for the sporting boycott arising from the affair that eventually led to the regime caving in.

Britain's first black manager on 18:11 - Dec 2 with 3049 viewsmingthemerciless

Britain's first black manager on 18:00 - Dec 2 by D_Alien

Thanks, I'll check that out. The D'Oliveira affair was just on the edge of my awareness at the time, but I have read elsewhere that Nelson Mandela claimed he would never have been freed to become president of a non-apartheid South Africa but for the sporting boycott arising from the affair that eventually led to the regime caving in.

The much maligned Fidel Castro and Cuba had a big hand in the end of the racist South African regime. The sporting boycott obviously hurt a sport mad country badly but the military bloody noses they suffered hurt more.
Britain's first black manager on 20:14 - Dec 2 with 2990 viewspioneer

Britain's first black manager on 18:11 - Dec 2 by mingthemerciless

The much maligned Fidel Castro and Cuba had a big hand in the end of the racist South African regime. The sporting boycott obviously hurt a sport mad country badly but the military bloody noses they suffered hurt more.

It was the economy on the point of collapse that finally led to the end of apartheid. Of course that was impacted by the levels of military spending but economic sanctions by most major countries push them over the edge.

Yes the Dolly affair was another sad episode for the bumbling MCC - despite him having scored 150 in the home test match he wasn't selected for the tour because the SA government said they wouldn't let him in. Only when Barry Knight pulled out injured did the MCC cave in to public opinion and name him as a replacement and SA then cancelled the tour.

He had first come to UK at the invitation of John Arlott and played for Middleton in the CLL before joining Worcestershire. Arlott travelled to South Africa as a journalist on the first post war tour there but refused to go back. The immigration form he had to complete on arrival asked the question 'Race?' and Arlott is said to have entered 'human' and got a hard time from the authorities.
Britain's first black manager on 21:52 - Dec 2 with 2942 viewsBobbyjoe

Britain's first black manager on 20:14 - Dec 2 by pioneer

It was the economy on the point of collapse that finally led to the end of apartheid. Of course that was impacted by the levels of military spending but economic sanctions by most major countries push them over the edge.

Yes the Dolly affair was another sad episode for the bumbling MCC - despite him having scored 150 in the home test match he wasn't selected for the tour because the SA government said they wouldn't let him in. Only when Barry Knight pulled out injured did the MCC cave in to public opinion and name him as a replacement and SA then cancelled the tour.

He had first come to UK at the invitation of John Arlott and played for Middleton in the CLL before joining Worcestershire. Arlott travelled to South Africa as a journalist on the first post war tour there but refused to go back. The immigration form he had to complete on arrival asked the question 'Race?' and Arlott is said to have entered 'human' and got a hard time from the authorities.

Great men, all. Boyhood heroes, still. Even though we're long past our boyhood!
Britain's first black manager on 03:40 - Dec 3 with 2853 viewsDiddyDave

You hardly ever saw the manager in the days when Collins was the boss,they used to sit in the Director`s Box,only the trainer used to sit in the dug out to run on with his magic sponge every now and then. The Football Pink;I had to go into town every Sat`dy night to get one for the old man and one for an old bloke who lived behind the Good Shepherd. Woe betide me if I got there too early and got the early edition with only the half time results on the stop press. I think it was ten bob or a quid if you got your face ringed,Arthur Daley`s dad,Jim,got one up at Hornets one afternoon. Yep,great days,Harry Catterick was the manager when I first started going to Dale and Hornets.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024