Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Proud to be a Daley 13:03 - Dec 1 with 1684 viewsborntogo

It's always difficult to sum up what constitutes a common or moral bond among a certain set of supporters, but, having said that, I'm proud to be a Daley this morning.
We'd be deeply embarrassed by of our fans if they'd behaved as Oldham's did on Saturday. We would have 'policed' them better, either chanting that they were 'w**kers' or with a few hands of restraint placed on excitable shoulders.
Remember away at Bury last season when their lot did all they could to goad us and we ignored them and let the police deal with it? This is because, generally, we're passionate and partisan but know where to draw the line.
I'm aware that the Oldham thugs were among a minority of their crowd but I've been shocked checking through the media this morning - both at the lack of coverage of the violence and the sheen put on the whole episode, dressing it up as raucous or electric.
In truth, it was horrible and if the police ranks had been broken, as they nearly were at several points, there would have been carnage.
I know I'm taking the moral high ground here but I'm not bothered. It's where we belong. Proud to be a Daley.
Proud to be a Daley on 13:21 - Dec 1 with 1639 viewsoa85

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/watch-shocki

there is your media coverage.
Proud to be a Daley on 15:09 - Dec 1 with 1493 viewsParkinsGimp

And the media coverage is now trying to heap a lot of blame on Rochdale.
Proud to be a Daley on 15:52 - Dec 1 with 1424 viewsBiffo_Boy

Proud to be a Daley on 15:09 - Dec 1 by ParkinsGimp

And the media coverage is now trying to heap a lot of blame on Rochdale.

That's certainly a bit unfiar to blame Rochdale AFC. I know it's been done to death on here and those acting like idiots need to take responsibility for their own actions, but I can't help thinking that making the away end allocated seats to allow the full 3600 allocation would have stoppped the trouble in the home ends. So I think if the Police are the ones who could have insisted on it being done in that way, then they should shoulder SOME of the blame, as indeed should Rochdale AFC if it was their decision.
Proud to be a Daley on 16:12 - Dec 1 with 1383 viewsTalkingSutty

Proud to be a Daley on 15:52 - Dec 1 by Biffo_Boy

That's certainly a bit unfiar to blame Rochdale AFC. I know it's been done to death on here and those acting like idiots need to take responsibility for their own actions, but I can't help thinking that making the away end allocated seats to allow the full 3600 allocation would have stoppped the trouble in the home ends. So I think if the Police are the ones who could have insisted on it being done in that way, then they should shoulder SOME of the blame, as indeed should Rochdale AFC if it was their decision.

Will be interesting to see what happens next season if we are both in the same division, reckon it will be all ticket but that wouldn't stop Oldham fans buying for the home stands if that's what they wanted to do. It's easy to criticise the club,cops, stewards but if individuals are intent on wrecking pubs/ attacking female programme sellers etc we get what we ended up with on Saturday.

I wonder if Oldham Athletic FC are going to condemn publicly the idiots who caused problems in the town and let off flares/ smoke bombs / ran on to the pitch etc on Saturday. Didn't show your club in a very good light.
Proud to be a Daley on 16:24 - Dec 1 with 1351 viewsBiffo_Boy

Proud to be a Daley on 16:12 - Dec 1 by TalkingSutty

Will be interesting to see what happens next season if we are both in the same division, reckon it will be all ticket but that wouldn't stop Oldham fans buying for the home stands if that's what they wanted to do. It's easy to criticise the club,cops, stewards but if individuals are intent on wrecking pubs/ attacking female programme sellers etc we get what we ended up with on Saturday.

I wonder if Oldham Athletic FC are going to condemn publicly the idiots who caused problems in the town and let off flares/ smoke bombs / ran on to the pitch etc on Saturday. Didn't show your club in a very good light.

I'm not sure how ticketing works at Dale, but at Latics you are entered into a database when you puchase tickets from the ticket office, at least there is some record of who has bought a ticket for a particular seat. Now obviously this isnt perfect as theoretically you can still give a false address (though im sure in this age there is away of checking who is registered at what address in this IT savvy age), but it may deter some of the types non of us want to see attending matches from getting one, particularly if they are under a banning order.

I think my main gripe is with the Police and indeed OAFC, they only have to look back to Bury away the season before last to see what can happen when demand outstrips supply of away tickets. It seems no lessons were learned from that game at all! At least though, no fans with tickets were locked out like they were that day, it was a total farce.

Lets hope if we meet next season (hopefully in the Championship) we don't have any repeat of what we saw on Saturday!
Proud to be a Daley on 16:40 - Dec 1 with 1331 viewsTalkingSutty

Proud to be a Daley on 16:24 - Dec 1 by Biffo_Boy

I'm not sure how ticketing works at Dale, but at Latics you are entered into a database when you puchase tickets from the ticket office, at least there is some record of who has bought a ticket for a particular seat. Now obviously this isnt perfect as theoretically you can still give a false address (though im sure in this age there is away of checking who is registered at what address in this IT savvy age), but it may deter some of the types non of us want to see attending matches from getting one, particularly if they are under a banning order.

I think my main gripe is with the Police and indeed OAFC, they only have to look back to Bury away the season before last to see what can happen when demand outstrips supply of away tickets. It seems no lessons were learned from that game at all! At least though, no fans with tickets were locked out like they were that day, it was a total farce.

Lets hope if we meet next season (hopefully in the Championship) we don't have any repeat of what we saw on Saturday!

There was a genuine problem allocating another section of our ground to Oldham though and TVOS post earlier in the week hit the nail on the head. We have fans who have allocated seats via season tickets and then we would have to provide separate catering and toileting facilities and segregation.

I think splitting the TDS stand which would have been very difficult to do would have probably resulted in even more problems due to the proximity of both sets of fans. Allocated seating in the away stand might have worked but I suspect the Latics fans would have ignored it in an attempt to congregate together which again would have caused a lot of problems for the stewards bearing in mind a big number of fans had been on the lash in town since mid morning. There isn't a easy solution other than people behaving themselves which the majority of Latics fans did.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2014 16:41]
Proud to be a Daley on 17:53 - Dec 1 with 1214 viewsBiffo_Boy

Proud to be a Daley on 16:40 - Dec 1 by TalkingSutty

There was a genuine problem allocating another section of our ground to Oldham though and TVOS post earlier in the week hit the nail on the head. We have fans who have allocated seats via season tickets and then we would have to provide separate catering and toileting facilities and segregation.

I think splitting the TDS stand which would have been very difficult to do would have probably resulted in even more problems due to the proximity of both sets of fans. Allocated seating in the away stand might have worked but I suspect the Latics fans would have ignored it in an attempt to congregate together which again would have caused a lot of problems for the stewards bearing in mind a big number of fans had been on the lash in town since mid morning. There isn't a easy solution other than people behaving themselves which the majority of Latics fans did.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2014 16:41]

Genuinely not trying to score any sort of points here, just to add to the discussion.......

The Roxhdale Road stand at BP contains Latics season holders. These are allocated with the supporters full knowledge that for the home fixtures where they will be a large following (such as when we play you) these supporters will have to relocate to another stand. The season ticket is slightly cheaper as a result. Might be an idea for the Sandy Lane end or something going forward?
Proud to be a Daley on 20:13 - Dec 1 with 1097 viewsTVOS1907

Proud to be a Daley on 17:53 - Dec 1 by Biffo_Boy

Genuinely not trying to score any sort of points here, just to add to the discussion.......

The Roxhdale Road stand at BP contains Latics season holders. These are allocated with the supporters full knowledge that for the home fixtures where they will be a large following (such as when we play you) these supporters will have to relocate to another stand. The season ticket is slightly cheaper as a result. Might be an idea for the Sandy Lane end or something going forward?

But it's not necessary and, as I've explained what seems like an infinite number of times, not possible to do due to the way the ground and stands are built, together with all the entrances, exits, toilets, etc.

Saturday was the only time in living memory that opposing fans have decided to come in the home end and aggro has occurred.

We've hosted the likes of Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday in the last 12 months. They were given allocations similar to yours and there were no issues whatsoever.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024