Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rochdale and the Fijian links! 08:56 - Oct 23 with 3937 viewsSuggers

I think most Dale fans of a certain age will know at least one Fijian, here is the story of how they came to find a home in Rochdale.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyleague/10365237/World-Cup-romance-comes-to
Rochdale and the Fijian links! on 12:23 - Oct 23 with 3807 viewsdownunder

Aye, I knew Mike Ratu, and my father in law started East Ward Rugby with him. Also played with several up at Rakewood, once turning out for their exiles team when they were a few players short. Post game celebrations are memorable, with a "hangi" cooking method and the kava flowing. Fiji is a good holiday destination as well, now, a few hours flying time away. Very friendly people.
Rochdale and the Fijian links! on 12:55 - Oct 23 with 3773 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/24524692 #sthash.p3M1gUyi.dpuf
Rochdale and the Fijian links! on 13:52 - Oct 23 with 3724 viewsD_Alien

Great pic as well. There's no mistaking the tin roofs of Waithlands in the background!

What a culture shock it must've been for those first Fijians, and its a tribute to them and also to the good folk of our home town that their descendants are still here.
[Post edited 23 Oct 2013 14:00]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Rochdale and the Fijian links! on 14:14 - Oct 23 with 3695 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Yes, which makes me wonder why they decided to stay in Yorkshire for the team hotel.

Was the Broadfield full..? :-)
Rochdale and the Fijian links! on 19:18 - Oct 23 with 3561 viewspioneer

Rochdale and the Fijian links! on 14:14 - Oct 23 by Albert_Whitehurst

Yes, which makes me wonder why they decided to stay in Yorkshire for the team hotel.

Was the Broadfield full..? :-)

I was thinking the same thing - but perhaps they wanted to feel at home in third world environment.
Rochdale and the Fijian links! on 19:25 - Oct 23 with 3552 viewssykeboy

Rochdale and the Fijian links! on 12:23 - Oct 23 by downunder

Aye, I knew Mike Ratu, and my father in law started East Ward Rugby with him. Also played with several up at Rakewood, once turning out for their exiles team when they were a few players short. Post game celebrations are memorable, with a "hangi" cooking method and the kava flowing. Fiji is a good holiday destination as well, now, a few hours flying time away. Very friendly people.

Top bloke worked with him in the old roach bar, ses his lad at Dale now and again
Rochdale and the Fijian links! on 21:43 - Oct 23 with 3476 viewsShun

I know Mika Ratu and a few other Fijians. Great guy.
Rochdale and the Fijian links! on 02:36 - Oct 24 with 3371 viewsDiddyDave

Great photo of the Fijian boys being interviewed by Eddie Waring. I don`t think Arthur Walker realised the enormity of what he`d started,but there`s another story;Walker came to Hornets having been the chairman at Oldham until something happened and he was forced out. I recall one of the Fijians went to Australia to play for St.George,but he tragically died.
Login to get fewer ads

Rochdale and the Fijian links! on 02:51 - Oct 24 with 3367 viewspioneer

Rochdale and the Fijian links! on 02:36 - Oct 24 by DiddyDave

Great photo of the Fijian boys being interviewed by Eddie Waring. I don`t think Arthur Walker realised the enormity of what he`d started,but there`s another story;Walker came to Hornets having been the chairman at Oldham until something happened and he was forced out. I recall one of the Fijians went to Australia to play for St.George,but he tragically died.

Apasai Toga was the bloke who signed for sent George and died suddenly
Rochdale and the Fijian links! on 11:16 - Oct 24 with 3265 viewsSuddenLad

"Appy" Toga died from tetanus after cutting his foot on a coral reef whilst swimming.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024