Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The case for Monk 11:06 - Apr 21 with 7041 viewsdgt73

To be the next full time manager of our great club. Apart from a poor 2nd half against wba and poor performance at hull, the results have been decent, away draws at stoke and arsenal, victories over cardiff, Norwich and Newcastle and not to forget two very decent performances against napoli.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2014 12:54]

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

The case for Monk on 11:08 - Apr 21 with 2668 viewsDarran

Another "who's going to be the manager next season" thread great.

When you going away?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The case for Monk on 12:26 - Apr 21 with 2597 viewsJethroJack

OP......and two commendable performances (yet narrow defeats) on Merseyside.
MONK FOR MANAGER.....better the devil you know.
(with maybe some old head like Alan Curbishley drafted in as a sounding board).
[Post edited 21 Apr 2014 12:26]
The case for Monk on 12:46 - Apr 21 with 2552 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The case for Monk on 12:26 - Apr 21 by JethroJack

OP......and two commendable performances (yet narrow defeats) on Merseyside.
MONK FOR MANAGER.....better the devil you know.
(with maybe some old head like Alan Curbishley drafted in as a sounding board).
[Post edited 21 Apr 2014 12:26]

This.
The case for Monk on 14:31 - Apr 21 with 2414 viewsyescomeon

My biggest worry as it most likely is with others is transfers with Monk. Perhaps an opening for a sort of director of football roll.

Upthecity!

The case for Monk on 14:44 - Apr 21 with 2393 views100onZero

The case for Monk on 14:31 - Apr 21 by yescomeon

My biggest worry as it most likely is with others is transfers with Monk. Perhaps an opening for a sort of director of football roll.

Agreed. I like Monk as manager but you can't deny he'de have problems pulling in big transfers.
The case for Monk on 14:46 - Apr 21 with 2384 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

The case for Monk on 14:44 - Apr 21 by 100onZero

Agreed. I like Monk as manager but you can't deny he'de have problems pulling in big transfers.

What makes you like Monk as a manager?

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

The case for Monk on 14:56 - Apr 21 with 2369 viewsSpratty

The case for Monk on 14:46 - Apr 21 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

What makes you like Monk as a manager?

Our next manager should be choosen on merit not familiarity or face saving

If that is Monk so be it but IMHO he has neither the experience or tactical astuteness let alone being qualified. His invovlvement in a faction is also of considerable concern

Realistically we are likely to lose some or our most skilled players next season, they all have their weaknesses, but they are also what make the difference. We need strong objective management to regroup and rebuild. That must not be hampered by team politics.
The case for Monk on 14:59 - Apr 21 with 2333 viewsIAN05

The case for Monk on 14:56 - Apr 21 by Spratty

Our next manager should be choosen on merit not familiarity or face saving

If that is Monk so be it but IMHO he has neither the experience or tactical astuteness let alone being qualified. His invovlvement in a faction is also of considerable concern

Realistically we are likely to lose some or our most skilled players next season, they all have their weaknesses, but they are also what make the difference. We need strong objective management to regroup and rebuild. That must not be hampered by team politics.

Agree on the Monk issue. Who are the 'most skilled ' players that you talk of ?
Login to get fewer ads

The case for Monk on 15:03 - Apr 21 with 2319 viewsAngelRangelQS

I don't see what monk has done in the time he's been here to even be considered for the role to be fair.
The case for Monk on 15:16 - Apr 21 with 2298 viewspencoedjack

The case for Monk on 15:03 - Apr 21 by AngelRangelQS

I don't see what monk has done in the time he's been here to even be considered for the role to be fair.

3 wins in 14 games 2 of them wins against dog shite opposition the other against a team on the beach for the past 5 weeks.

If Monk is manager next season we will be playing football in the championship the following season ....
The case for Monk on 15:21 - Apr 21 with 2271 viewsAngelRangelQS

The case for Monk on 15:16 - Apr 21 by pencoedjack

3 wins in 14 games 2 of them wins against dog shite opposition the other against a team on the beach for the past 5 weeks.

If Monk is manager next season we will be playing football in the championship the following season ....

I would agree with that. It would be an absolutely disastrous appointment in my opinion
The case for Monk on 15:30 - Apr 21 with 2243 viewsIAN05

The case for Monk on 15:16 - Apr 21 by pencoedjack

Whilst I agree that Monk is not the answer, he deserves more credit than he is given for steadying the ship. He took over a side in disarray for a variety of reasons and has seen us take points in 6 out of our 11 league games.

If you consider that the run included away games at Liverpool, Arsenal and Everton and a home game to Chelsea that is not that bad. If you also factor in Stoke away, a notoriously tricky derby game and a Norwich side that we always fail against then he has done pretty much all that could be expected.
The case for Monk on 15:30 - Apr 21 with 2242 viewsSpratty

The case for Monk on 14:59 - Apr 21 by IAN05

Agree on the Monk issue. Who are the 'most skilled ' players that you talk of ?

Concerns all round

Bony brilliant but will not want to be with a struggling PL team if CL on offer - we know if a player really wants to go no contract will hold him. AT least we would get well rewarded.

JDG - know varied views but always one of our most skilled

Michu - lets not forget his abilities and application - don't know what will happen here but on form is sublime and works like a dog v's moody and I believe likes crisps

Ben - possible - seems to be constrained in our play recently

Ash - possible - because of politics might not be sorry to loose him - but important player

Pabs - one of my favourite players exceptinally skilled but weak in defence and either works or doesn't (but when he does.....)

Other Spanish lads - Amat, Poz, Canas - all good development players with much skill.

Other clubs may be interested - money still a problem in Spain so that's to our advantage

Dyer and Routs - another 2 of my favourites but both can be blistering or not in the game - hopefully players like these and the ever dependable Leon will stay, but there is shelf life to consider especially in excellent players like Rangel.

etc.

Not saying they will all or even most go, but there has to be a good possibility of loosing a few and out in the sticks may be difficult to attract and retain replacements, with that something extra at a reasonable price/wage. Obviosuly recruitment essential.
The case for Monk on 15:50 - Apr 21 with 2203 viewsAngelRangelQS

I'd like a manager who will widen our scouting network
The case for Monk on 15:52 - Apr 21 with 2197 viewspencoedjack

The case for Monk on 15:30 - Apr 21 by IAN05

Whilst I agree that Monk is not the answer, he deserves more credit than he is given for steadying the ship. He took over a side in disarray for a variety of reasons and has seen us take points in 6 out of our 11 league games.

If you consider that the run included away games at Liverpool, Arsenal and Everton and a home game to Chelsea that is not that bad. If you also factor in Stoke away, a notoriously tricky derby game and a Norwich side that we always fail against then he has done pretty much all that could be expected.

He is paid rather well to steady the ship & has picked up money for being just part of the squad for the last few years.

Well done Garry you kept us up there's half a million now go and train the under 21's.

I don't buy into this I would do anything for the club ..... of course he would no other club would likely to offer him what he has been offered here.

Maybe I am becoming too cynical as I get older.
The case for Monk on 16:01 - Apr 21 with 2173 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

We can't stand still in this league . We need an experienced manager to kick on yet again.
Monk can carry on as first team coach & show the ethics & standards that we hear so much about .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

The case for Monk on 16:17 - Apr 21 with 2147 viewsIAN05

The case for Monk on 15:52 - Apr 21 by pencoedjack

He is paid rather well to steady the ship & has picked up money for being just part of the squad for the last few years.

Well done Garry you kept us up there's half a million now go and train the under 21's.

I don't buy into this I would do anything for the club ..... of course he would no other club would likely to offer him what he has been offered here.

Maybe I am becoming too cynical as I get older.

No-one's arguing with you mate and I know he hasn't done so out of the goodness of his heart. There is however a way of doing things and despite being well paid, staff at the club will testify to the amount of work he has put in to 'steady the ship' and personal time sacrifice (lets not forget that he also has 6 week old baby twins). He could have come in, ticked it over and been content - but he didn't.

What is over the top is the level of criticism from some on here and twitter, which is way over the top for a rookie manager taking over a premier league team in disarray.
The case for Monk on 16:20 - Apr 21 with 2141 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

The case for Monk on 16:17 - Apr 21 by IAN05

No-one's arguing with you mate and I know he hasn't done so out of the goodness of his heart. There is however a way of doing things and despite being well paid, staff at the club will testify to the amount of work he has put in to 'steady the ship' and personal time sacrifice (lets not forget that he also has 6 week old baby twins). He could have come in, ticked it over and been content - but he didn't.

What is over the top is the level of criticism from some on here and twitter, which is way over the top for a rookie manager taking over a premier league team in disarray.

He didn't have to take the job. If he wanted to spend more time with his new born children he could have. Nobody forced him to take up the role, and the moment he accepted the job he became fair game regarding praise when justified and criticism when justified.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

The case for Monk on 16:24 - Apr 21 with 2129 viewsIAN05

The case for Monk on 16:20 - Apr 21 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

He didn't have to take the job. If he wanted to spend more time with his new born children he could have. Nobody forced him to take up the role, and the moment he accepted the job he became fair game regarding praise when justified and criticism when justified.

No-one said he did need to take it, did they ? Fact is he did and has since worked like crazy to try and turn things around.

The guy was asked to step in and steady things to save us from relegation. He has achieved that and improved performances - why people cant just give credit and be grateful, then look to the future is beyond me. We really couldn't have expected much more.
The case for Monk on 16:24 - Apr 21 with 2127 viewsA_Fans_Dad

The case for Monk on 16:17 - Apr 21 by IAN05

Couldn't have put it better.
The case for Monk on 16:26 - Apr 21 with 2118 viewsyescomeon

I don't think he is the answer for next season but I think all in all he has done a good job. I honestly don't think Laudrup would have picked up more points and for certain the performances would not have been as good.

Upthecity!

The case for Monk on 16:29 - Apr 21 with 2109 viewsIAN05

The case for Monk on 16:26 - Apr 21 by yescomeon

I don't think he is the answer for next season but I think all in all he has done a good job. I honestly don't think Laudrup would have picked up more points and for certain the performances would not have been as good.

I agree with you. Thank the guy, give him the credit he deserves and find a new manager. If there is a role somewhere for Monk then great, he can continue the learning curve that he is on.
The case for Monk on 16:48 - Apr 21 with 2086 viewsDavillin

The case for Monk on 14:44 - Apr 21 by 100onZero

Would you really prefer "big transfers" whose loyalty is to the manager and not to the club?

And I'm not arguing here either for or against retaining Monk.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

The case for Monk on 16:54 - Apr 21 with 2075 viewsPrivate_Partz

I disagree that the team was in disarray. I also did not think we needed saving from relegation. There is nothing to back that up. We need the Boards version as to why ML was sacked. Don't hold your breath.
Considering everything GM has done really well. He was thrown in at the deep end with no notice whatsoever. Another thing I would like the Board to explain.
I am not sure about the DOF / Coach arrangement. Especially if a Chairman is involved. Therefore I think we need and experienced manager who plays the game our way. GM can be rewarded with an assistants role along the lines of Pascoe and Curt (I am sure I read he is retiring at the end of the season). GM deserves it and will make a fine manager in the future. Be it with us or elsewhere.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2014 16:56]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

The case for Monk on 17:10 - Apr 21 with 2050 viewsIAN05

The case for Monk on 16:54 - Apr 21 by Private_Partz

I disagree that the team was in disarray. I also did not think we needed saving from relegation. There is nothing to back that up. We need the Boards version as to why ML was sacked. Don't hold your breath.
Considering everything GM has done really well. He was thrown in at the deep end with no notice whatsoever. Another thing I would like the Board to explain.
I am not sure about the DOF / Coach arrangement. Especially if a Chairman is involved. Therefore I think we need and experienced manager who plays the game our way. GM can be rewarded with an assistants role along the lines of Pascoe and Curt (I am sure I read he is retiring at the end of the season). GM deserves it and will make a fine manager in the future. Be it with us or elsewhere.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2014 16:56]

Its a matter of opinions mate. We were on a pretty awful stretch of results since last Feb, no relationship between board and manager with many staff members (many non-playing unhappy with things under Laudrup), very limp performances, an awful home record and a catalogue of injuries. Add that to the entire coaching staff removed and a run of games coming up of Cardiff, Stoke, Everton, Liverpool and Napoli and also the press reports of police being called to a training incident caused by fitness and dietary indiscipline ) - I would argue that it wasn't exactly a bed of roses to walk into.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024